Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
J Reverb
Human being with feelings

Default Automation Points bug on loop points/time selection etc

Automation recording when looping collects random points at the beginning and end of time selection in clumps which have to be manually removed, this is seriously not right, in fact before automation items were introduced the automation system had bugs such as this and it has never been running smoothly, for example latch mode will overwrite a previous pass and sometimes it doesn't? touch mode is unpredictable, well ....etc. Please don't burn me down in flames, just had to say it. The underlying automation system still isn't right regardless of automation items which are getting all the attention when they are kind of an extra feature albeit very cool.

Anyway this bug is a bug that really bugs.

J.
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Automation has always worked as expected for me, but I pretty much only use latch. As far as having extra points at the same spot, Reaper shouldn't do that, but maybe the prefs/automation option to reduce points helps with it. There are also actions to do it after the fact.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
J Reverb

Try looping over a few bars in write/latch/touch mode you will get values from previous passes left behind. Also if you make an adjustment let's say in latch mode and just leave the control alone you will see the last envelope point moves about by itself ? on each pass. This is pretty obviously not right and should be classed as strange behaviour if not a bug.
Reduce envelope point data pref doesn't solve this and reducing points after the fact is just a time consuming and unnecessary practice. Same apply's to item envelopes.

Anyway I really hope this can be fixed.

TA very much,

J.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Hmm I just don't have that issue. As long as I stop touching the control before the loop repeats, the pass is preserved. I generally do this while looping. I guess I'm not using it extensively enough to see the problem.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
J Reverb

Bump !

With a gif this time

This is just enabling write mode in loop not touching anything ...
Attached Images
File Type: gif points.gif (44.9 KB, 1196 views)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
mccrabney

confirmed for write, one of the reasons i don't record automation into REAPER using any of the automation recording modes. by the time i fix all of the issues, i might as well have just drawn then in.

edit -- eating my words, but it appears that LATCH doesn't have this issue, even though it triggers the same write behavior once touched
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
J Reverb

This gets even messier if you move a controller each pass just keeps clogging up envelope points.
It seems to do this in every mode if a control is held over the loop duration.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Hmm, well I don't think Write mode is intended for loop recording. When I started off I just tested em all for the best behavior in loop recording and stuck with latch mode ever since.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
J Reverb

Fox it doesn't work properly, why would you have options to reset latch state on loop if it wasn't designed for it? We are getting random points being generated by themselves before the loop point. This IS A BUG surely and yes it does happen in latch mode when you drop into write close to the end of cycle.
If it works for you (not looping) that's fine and expected behaviour, but not in this case I'm afraid.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Hey, I'm not trying to dispute you. Just offering alternatives, since it could be a long time before it's fixed and I personally don't experience any problems in Latch mode, which is all I have a need for.