Old 05-08-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
Tig's
Human being with feelings

Default Track Four Slowdown

Hi All. I've been writing this track for about a year on the guitar and now I want to make something of it, only I can't think how to best transfer it to a full on produced piece.

I understand its about my music/style but I'm up for anything and want to explore its possibilities.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-wheeler-711074874/slowdown

My questions are:
What's the best way to go about bringing in different instruments, to build the scape of the track. So far I've just been jammin it and cant find one thing that I like and I cant concentrate longer than a second before I go off somewhere and end up not doing the bit I wanted..
Also how can I tame myself to do what I have to, is another question...
ok another, I did it to a click track and its taken away the spontaneity, how do I get that back?
Thanks Tim.
Tig's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
bulevardi

I personally like it really much.
It has much warmth and depth, it sounds like I'm standing in the same room.

This track stands perfectly on it's own, it can suit as background music for some good visuals/soundtrack/scenic movie scene...

If you really really feel the need to add something to it, I would put a discrete warm organ somewhere on the background.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig's View Post
So far I've just been jammin it and cant find one thing that I like and I cant concentrate longer than a second before I go off somewhere and end up not doing the bit I wanted..
Also how can I tame myself to do what I have to, is another question...
I can feel you here!

I always end up with something totally different than I wanted to create. Always change my mind so I bring up other ideas, styles,....

I really the fact that you also create different styles, like Fun Day Gone Bad. It shows you won't fit in just one box.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
rncwalker

It really sounds good.

1) Try to put lyrics to it (Lyrics will help you to know what else to add)
2) after the first chord progression add Very lite Drums
3) then later add the warm organ as bulevardi suggested, even a Pinao would sound good.

Other wise, Very well done.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
Tig's

Guys Ty for the comments and encouragement.
I shall give that a go next week.

Do you guys worry about lyrics being taken by others and do you put them online at all as I have written a few sets of lyrics/poems and wondered whether I had to be precious about them.

Thanks again
Tim
Old 05-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
rncwalker

Do the Lyrics for your self as it may help you to further develop the song.
You can always take out the Lyrics from the song if you post it.

Remember tho... Even your music can be stolen.

The way people are today, nothing is safe!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 AM   #7
Tig's

Thanks I'll bear that in mind.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:40 AM   #8
tspring

What you have recorded so far is a well played chord progression with nice riffs connecting the chords. It has elements of a melody in places, but are mostly small unconnected pieces. You could go for lyrics next, but I would suggest coming up with a fully developed melody first. The recording so far has the feel of a ballad, and will benefit from a strong hummable melody even if you intend for the song to be an instrumental. At this stage, even recording the melody note by note on the guitar would be a good first step or just hum it if you are a singer. Any other elements that you add to the recording will work best if they serve to support the melody.

Of course the song writing sequence varies according to the writer. You can start with lyrics too, and then do melody. Sometimes
I try out nonsense syllables/lyrics and melody ideas at the same time to figure out how to fit phrasing and melody together. After the main melody is developed, you will probably have new ideas for needed elements like bridges, intros, accents, connecting licks and so on.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:47 AM   #9
tspring

Double posting deleted.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:15 AM   #10
Tig's

I've managed to add some bits and keep it simple. I went back to no click track it feels a lot better to play.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
BCF1

I hear so much potential in this piece. Not saying it's not good as is but my thinking is in line with the idea Tspring put out. The melody to my ears is not consistently evident.
It's a beautiful piece, I really like it.
As for music and lyrics being stolen

I don't know if people with the ability and industry connections to actually produce and profit from stealing the ideas of others spend time perusing audio forums such as this. Certainly could happen. I would think it rather unlikely though.
(Not saying your piece isn't worthy of being stolen) You can do the paperwork, pay the cash and wait however long it takes to secure your rights before posting. Not really feasible. I'm not really helping at all, sorry.
Great piece so far !!!
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:57 AM   #12
Tig's

Thanks I really do appreciate honest feedback. I'm beginning to understand what your saying. I've got a bit stuck with what feels good at the time. I've not really ever thought about how format makes a track easier to connect with.
I usually throw stuff at it till it makes me emotional.....

Its gona feel odd adapting it after a year of being in my own little space, practicing it multiple times a day, everyday till my finger tips looked like hotdogs. It was my first piece after coming back to the world.

But you know what.... I'm up for it. That's why I'm here, I wana see what I've got in me. You guys clearly have the knowledge and I'm grateful for you taking the time to help and support.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
BCF1

I know what you mean regarding changes to a piece you've created, crafted and lived with for a period of time. Even small changes can seem huge and feel like the original vibe goes south.
I'm by no means an expert at writing or producing and I to struggle with changes in a piece I've lived with even a short time. I try to think of it as if nothing else a skill building excersise. Try different ideas you didn't think of before and if you don't care for the new result you can always mute the new tracks and you've lost nothing.

The melody thing is of course personal opinion and there is no right answer except yours as the creator. But if you are thinking commercial viability most listeners like something they can easily follow, that hook they can sing or hum along to that connects them or draws them into the song. The average listener isn't really going to relax with avant-garde jazz or intense classical. .... my opinion of course.

Again really like this piece !
Old 05-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #14
Tig's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post
The average listener isn't really going to relax with avant-garde jazz or intense classical. .... my opinion of course.
That's been making me smile since yesterday when I actually did laugh out loud.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:32 PM   #15
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig's View Post
That's been making me smile since yesterday when I actually did laugh out loud.
You know after reading that post
(probably should have before submitting it)

I'm laughing with you....
Old 05-18-2021, 11:02 PM   #16
jonlint

Really love this song! Not much to critique except some of the loud dynamics in the intro are a little too extreme to me. Its a taste thing - then again, I am accused of not having enough dynamics in my songs.

Also the other guitar which comes in around 1:10 could be a little louder in the mix to me and maybe adding a touch of chorus/stereo image but not too much as it contrasts well with the very stereo and very lush main guitar part.

Great job dude!
jonlint is offline   Reply With Quote