Old 02-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
bamsehopp
Human being with feelings

Default Open plugin with last state?

I really dig analog synths and one thing i miss with the real deal is having the same sound start up when coming back the next day. Sonic Charge’s Tonic is the only plugin i know that will do this and i always love pulling it up and instantly have the same settings as last time i used it. Is there anyone who knows a script or something that lets me load synths in Reaper with the last settings?
bamsehopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
jrk

save as default preset.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
bamsehopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
save as default preset.
True that would work, but im still curious if anyone knows a script to always have this running natively 😌
Old 02-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
jrk

?
Reaper's got you covered there already.

All you need to do is save a setting as the default preset. From then on, and for all time, Whenever you add the vst / vsti / whatever it'll start up like that. What would a script do that this wouldn't? Genuinely curious.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
bamsehopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
?
Reaper's got you covered there already.

All you need to do is save a setting as the default preset. From then on, and for all time, Whenever you add the vst / vsti / whatever it'll start up like that. What would a script do that this wouldn't? Genuinely curious.
Ah well it would indeed work the same if i would remember to press save everytime before I close the fx window but knowing myself im pretty sure i’d more often than not skip that step when working through a project. The thing is that if i could count on reaper always opening my plugins exactly like they were last time i would get a lot more creative since adding an effect or a synth would always be a little surprise and spark some ideas.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Ether

It does not start with the preset i worked on?
Really?
I thought every daw could do that.

With browser it is Cakewalk 2 - Reaper 0.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
jrk

Right, I'm confused.

(a) If you save a project and come back to it the next day (or whenever), surely all your vst(i) will be there with the settings you had when you saved. Or is this not the case for you?

(b) you say you dig analog. Are we talking about hardware rather than plugins?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 AM   #8
bamsehopp

Of course it does if i open the same project! But if i make a fresh new project and open a plugin on a new track it will be in the default preset state. So i find myself always having to tweak the plugins in the same manner to get them the way i want. And i could keep saving new default presets for all my plugins but it would suit my workflow better if there was a way to say ”when adding a new plugin, dont just use the default preset but rather the last state it was in regardless of which project you had it open in”. Maybe im alone in wanting such a feature so i wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t exist haha.

Regarding analog synths yes i mean hardware since their buttons and dials always stay the same even if i open up a new project or switch to a new tape reel, each time i turn my minimoog on it will sound exactly like last night when working on a totally different project.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 AM   #9
jrk

The last state of a plugin is a property of the project. (it's stored in the project RPP file). I doubt that it's practical to have (say) a script executed at plugin load, which finds (where?) the most recent project using this plugin and copies those settings to the new instance.

Maybe ask on the scripting forum? Sorry I'm not more help.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:21 AM   #10
bamsehopp

This is an example of Microtonic's settings, an option to choose between opening the last state independent of project or the default preset state (initialized).
Attached Images
File Type: png Micro.png (45.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 AM   #11
bamsehopp

You're right maybe its a thing the plugin developers have to implement at the core of the plugin. Thanks for all the help anyway! All I can do is hope this is a feature to get added into Reaper in the future

EDIT: Is there any way to move this thread to the scripting forum?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:46 AM   #12
jrk

I think you'd have to ask the moderators.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
Ether

Puuhh...
Don't scare like that.
I only work at one project at a time so no problem here.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #14
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsehopp View Post
Of course it does if i open the same project! But if i make a fresh new project and open a plugin on a new track it will be in the default preset state. So i find myself always having to tweak the plugins in the same manner to get them the way i want. And i could keep saving new default presets for all my plugins but it would suit my workflow better if there was a way to say ”when adding a new plugin, dont just use the default preset but rather the last state it was in regardless of which project you had it open in”. Maybe im alone in wanting such a feature so i wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t exist haha.

Regarding analog synths yes i mean hardware since their buttons and dials always stay the same even if i open up a new project or switch to a new tape reel, each time i turn my minimoog on it will sound exactly like last night when working on a totally different project.
I think you just said it right:
It is not duty of Reel-to-Reel or DAW to manage your moog knobs or VST(i) settings. It is duty of the particular synth or plugin to offer "that" state ...

And as already has been said, if you are satisfied with your plugin settings so much and you think that this is the solid state you want have everytime and anytime, then you just click on "Save as default" for that plugin. Easy. This is a favor that Reaper offers for you
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
hopi

set up your plugin[s] and save that as an FX Chain with your choice of a file name...
load that to any track and it will be the same as when you saved it...
want variations? Save them with a diff name...