Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #81
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Free speech is free speech. Either it's allowed or it doesn't exist.

But when it's someone's dirty job to constantly mitigate and/or respond to whiners who can't handle varied opinions on difficult topics, well I guess I understand the desire to remove the problem at the roots.

However, this thread clearly demonstrates that such shenanigans will persist regardless of whether or not a dedicated place is provided for them.

Perhaps if The Lounge was simply named for what it really is; The Soapbox, The Steam Room, The Unsafe Place, The Boxing Ring, The Land of Rants & Nonsense, The Animal Farm, The Battlefield, The Anything-Goes Room, The Public Lavatory, The Cave of Quarrels, The Padded Room, The Peanut Gallery, Total Anarchy, Stuff You'll Probably Be Offended By, Displeasure Island, etc, etc, ect. fewer folks would be alarmed at what they encountered there.

It's not like it was ever a good place to relax. I mean, hell, just removing its contents from "New Posts" would probably solve everyone's problems.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #82
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
Exactly this. I visit audio forums to escape reality.
One cannot expect to escape reality in a place where others congregate...
Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #83
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I think a general discussion for audio/music would be good, and a lounge replacement that disallows political-centered topics would be good too.

we don't need politics here.
Well Everyone has the option and by default, to not even see the lounge let alone see and post.
It has been entirely optional for years, without major issue.

What's wrong with talking? Freedom to talk about topics?

For judders, yes it was foregone conclusion, but an understanding of

TDS would show alot of cognitive dissonance and mental frustration at the desired result not happening, in the immediate aftermath, when world view shocked for the Nth time in 3 years.

We only need to see 'celebrity reactions' and top opponent reactions to give a taster of what hardened civilian opponents are going through.

It's no trivial matter, people losing their marbles over this stuff as nutty as it seems..

Add to that how bad things have gone for the blue side in last week or so and the prospect of partisan banter for many months, and very easy to see a mod rationalising making it all go away with some veneer of reasoning e.g 'too much spam, hard to moderate, waste of time, toxic etc.."

It's genuinely dissapointing, how I use forum is to check main then lounge or the other way around and lounge keeps me coming back, and has many diverse topics, and we all know that other parties are there knowing the rules..

If can't go off topic here in general or posters get modded for wrong - think, that will just shed users in main ultimately - often some of the most helpful & experienced guys too.

Was best forum on web only one I really use, decade plus. Arbitrary removal now is very odd.

Anyway. If that's the case my long time raging support of reaper will
Go limp. Not that anyone will care!
Old 02-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #84
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
It's the end of an error!
Not sure I agree with the sentiment, but I really like the pun!
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #85
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
It's really not unheard of for people to want to "escape" from things that stress them.
Naturally. I wasn't taking a jab at you. I'm a hardcore escapist myself and eventually had to shut down all my social media accounts because of what you're talking about.

That said, I still defend the existence of The Lounge in all its facets, even though I personally despise politics and ad hom.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #86
clepsydrae

FYI the spam trap forum appears to live on (with posting enabled) though not linked from the main page: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #87
peter5992

Default What happened to the lounge?

Oh Cockos, don't tell me that you finally axed it.

Now what am gonna do to waste time? Watch cat videos on YouTube?
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #88
toleolu

What's wrong with cat videos??

I posted a simple little Ab blues thing on the on the music collaboration section of the forum, I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions on the mix. Don't worry about hurting my feelings.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #89
pandabot

They seem to be killing off the community aspect of Reaper, trying to turn it into something as sterile as a kvr forum
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #90
RDBOIS
Banned

Ohhh dear !!!

Last edited by RDBOIS; 02-07-2020 at 11:16 PM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:28 AM   #91
Garrick

So where should I put a new lyric writing thread?
The collab sub forum?
Recording sub forum?

Any suggestions are welcome

Apart from stupid suggestions,
stupid suggestion suck
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:08 AM   #92
akademie

"REAPER lounge" hidden but living?

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

EDIT:
oh yeah, no way to add posts or replies... :-/

Last edited by akademie; 02-08-2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: EDIT
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:13 AM   #93
akademie

Old 02-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #94
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post

You cannot post there now.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #95
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
You cannot post there now.
Yeah, I already realized it few minutes after I posted Then edited only the post that I made in that other (long) thread about Lounge.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #96
ivansc

Have to say I dont think that I am going to miss the lounge much.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #97
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post

Anyway. If that's the case my long time raging support of reaper will
Go limp. Not that anyone will care!
are you melting?

also anyone thinking their free speech rights are inhibited are weird af and don't know what that means.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #98
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
So where should I put a new lyric writing thread?
The collab sub forum?
Recording sub forum?

Any suggestions are welcome

Apart from stupid suggestions,
stupid suggestion suck
I think we need new non-related forums or cleanse and re-open the lounge with a restriction on politics. There are SEVERAL places to talk about these. All these old school internet dudebros and they haven't heard of reddit?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #99
BobF

Quote:
I think we need new non-related forums or cleanse and re-open the lounge with a restriction on politics. There are SEVERAL places to talk about these. All these old school internet dudebros and they haven't heard of reddit?
I can't stand reddit. Unfortunately, two vendors I use have reddit as their only presence; Clip Studio Paint and Huion.

re: The Lounge. I won't really miss it all. I've only recently dropped in a few times when overcome with boredom.

As glennbo pointed out, there is a nntp group (or two) available, although finding nntp servers these days is problematic at best. The upside is that there is zero moderation.

Cue glennbo with a super simple set of instructions to join nntp with a 1930s reader
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #100
vdubreeze

Quote:
I think a general discussion for audio/music would be good, and a lounge replacement that disallows political-centered topics would be good too.

we don't need politics here.
I agree taking politics out of an Off Topic lounge would make it a much higher quality place. But a separate one for Politics also works, and that's how it is on other forums I frequent. I do miss the great DIY thread(s) and a few other random things that would pop up. But the political threads nearly always degenerated into childish nonsense, just people being self righteous about things happening thousands of miles away from them. No one ever learned anything, or saw the value of anyone else's viewpoints. I would say that if you've been hosting one of the worst political forums, or a forum that showed your users in the worst possible light, it makes perfect sense to not continue it. Nothing to do with free speech.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 02-08-2020 at 10:47 AM.
vdubreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #101
Jae.Thomas

Default lounge and life replacement

Hi there!

Sorry if this is redundant but it has a different bent.

I never really liked the lounge. I stopped going there for the most part with the exception of a thread made in desperation that I didn't want to be publicly searchable.

lovely people there, for sure - but just didn't like the vibe. So I didn't go in.

However, I find that this community is very important to me - Reaper.exe isn't only what I like about Reaper.

It has been 14 years since I've been here. I have dedicated lots of time to personal discussion here, because I care about this forum and I care about the people in here - I value their opinions even on non-audio stuff.

I know I've caused trouble in the past and I know I make a lot of threads at times. I appreciate the patience people have had with me here. I've said it before, my life has changed significantly since being here.

You all were here for me being in a cult, me being kicked out of the cult. From NYS to Montreal to NYS back to PA, recovery, college, marriage, news of sterility, divorce, and here we are.

Ya'll have seen me through some personal shit. My depression, my successes, the things that I love.

I want to be able to make posts like this to this community. My posts in personal matters are not necessarily political, and not any more divisive than other threads outside of the lounge. They are in many ways positive.

I am asking for some kind of subforum group where we can talk about working on guitars, learning a new instrument, a personal question, etc...

What gets in the way of this now is the removal from "life" from the general discussion forum, and the removal of the lounge entirely.

Can we please have some other forums?

I am not going to follow this thread because it's not an argument. This is merely an inquiry, and I know the mods/admins will probably see it so it's my statement to them. People who I respect and am thankful for their work.

Thanks everyone

Also if anyone wants to add me on facebook, it's literally the same as my username here, because when i was in a cult, I decided since the world was going to end, who cares if I put my full name everywhere and destroy my potential for privacy?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #102
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
You might be on to something there.

I think I was getting Judders and Peter real close to putting Trump 2020 signs in their front lawns.
Ha!
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #103
Jorgen

I have met some very interesting people in the lounge, people I never would have met elsewhere under any other circumstances. Politics, religion, philosophy, psychology, science, weirdos and clowns and some really creative and smart people, all and everything added to the mix. A special brew indeed. The place had its ups and downs for sure. So what? That's part of the human dynamic.

The lounge is where you meet and greet, get acquainted with folks. It's the most creative hangout I've stumbled upon in cyberspace, perhaps the funniest too. I wish the powers that be to please reconsider. Allow a bit of anarchy. Nothing and nobody is perfect.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #104
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I have met some very interesting people in the lounge, people I never would have met elsewhere under any other circumstances. Politics, religion, philosophy, psychology, science, weirdos and clowns and some really creative and smart people, all and everything added to the mix. A special brew indeed. The place had its ups and downs for sure. So what? That's part of the human dynamic.

The lounge is where you meet and greet, get acquainted with folks. It's the most creative hangout I've stumbled upon in cyberspace, perhaps the funniest too. I wish the powers that be to please reconsider. Allow a bit of anarchy. Nothing and nobody is perfect.
As one who has posted more than his fair share of bs in the lounge, I agree with you my friend. The opportunity to reach and communicate with people around the planet, to me anyway, is one of the best things about the internet.

Sure there's a lot of noise there, but you do occasionally come across a few gems. Like most things in life, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince, but usually the the reward justifies the effort.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #105
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Ha!
Who loves ya baby!!!
Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #106
Dimaension X

I guess I'm late to the conversation ... so IS the lounge dead?

Was it controversial. Sure. Oh well, I'll miss it.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #107
RokkD

Earlier this week a man seeking escape from stress walked into the Reaper forum and offended himself by forcing himself to read in a lounge related thread the impolite words.. sex, religion and politics. Robbing himself of solace. Authorities are treating it as a self inflicted hate crime.

The very fact that the company was named 'Cockos', and native FX 'Jesusonic' didn't deter him.

-
Old 02-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #108
martifingers

Quote:
Reaper.exe isn't only what I like about Reaper.
A big and slightly bemused +1 for that from me. Not only for the sort of personal response that you mention but also how often - nearly always actually - I see the community go beyond expectations in offering help, support and encouragement. In these rather bleak times it is for me, a flower growing on a rubbish heap. The devs should also get some credit!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #109
ivansc

I agree with Jay/Jae here. I too have been through some rough stuff over the last 7 years & am still wrestling with some of it. It IS good to have a place where you can connect with people that you already have a relationship with via music, which to me has always been my main language.
Sadly, the lounge also seemed to attract a rather high percentage of people who just wanted to ram their opinions whether right or wrong down everyone elses throats without allowing for any filtering other than the ignore button.

But I too am unsure how we could actually get back to a kinder place... I consider a lot of the folks I know on here as old friends, even if we have never met "in teh flesh". I would hate to lose contact.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #110
chip mcdonald

Politics didn't seem to be a problem there. There were threads that clearly were based on said topic, and one didn't have to click or participate.

I think the downside to removing the lounge is that there will be spillover into the general forum, to negative and noise-increasing results. Maybe not, but by having the onus of "you have a directive to stay on topic or else" hanging over everything it will change the flavor of "here".

Maybe for the better. Maybe for the worse.

As far as the timing goes, to me it's pretty obvious....
Old 02-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #111
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I can't stand reddit. Unfortunately, two vendors I use have reddit as their only presence; Clip Studio Paint and Huion.

re: The Lounge. I won't really miss it all. I've only recently dropped in a few times when overcome with boredom.

As glennbo pointed out, there is a nntp group (or two) available, although finding nntp servers these days is problematic at best. The upside is that there is zero moderation.

Cue glennbo with a super simple set of instructions to join nntp with a 1930s reader
Nah, nobody wants to use a platform that's streamlined for text based communications coz you can't post flashy blinky gifs.

I never posted or read the lounge.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #112
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
As far as the timing goes, to me it's pretty obvious....
As Justin runs for president?
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #113
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
What's the issue? Password protected enter at risk dive bar area for downtime kicks.. nuts get removed.
Those who cant control themselves are usually the ones who want to control others. But i must type lounge... i must click that thread... i must respond... i must be upset... must report this...

Yes, politics, the thing that controls all our lives... that should be the one thing we cant talk about...

Im an ally cat, a dirty rat, i rub people the wrong way, thats why i stayed in the lounge, as to not upset the **** snowflakes.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #114
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I swear, you can dress me up but can't take me anywhere
Now that would make a great song! hehehe
Old 02-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #115
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Have to say I dont think that I am going to miss the lounge much.
I'm torn. I know REAPER is not really a place to discuss all the things we were discussing in the lounge, but discussing these things with people who also share a passion for music, recording, production, etc., seemed like value-added.

I though it was great that people who use REAPER for music could also talk about other things than music. But I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #116
Reason

At the end of the day, it's a forum run by a private corporation, not Congress, so they can do whatever they want with it.

Personally I avoided the lounge for the most part, because I don't see the value in letting myself get worked up over posts I strongly disagree with. It sounds like there were some non-political posts that had value, though.

I would make the humble suggestion to the mods to bring it back, but with a separate or sub forum for politics, which would have the usual caveat of "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate".

I think this would be preferable to having politics spill into the general discussion forum. I suspect that NOT doing that will result in some of the more fervent posters requiring more moderation until they get banned. While I could obviously be wrong, I doubt anyone wants to watch that happen.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:16 PM   #117
CrimsonFlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I'm torn. I know REAPER is not really a place to discuss all the things we were discussing in the lounge, but discussing these things with people who also share a passion for music, recording, production, etc., seemed like value-added.

I though it was great that people who use REAPER for music could also talk about other things than music. But I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
At the end of the day, it's a forum run by a private corporation, not Congress, so they can do whatever they want with it.
Nod, sometimes you release shit behind aols ass, sometimes you become aol. aolol the lamas ass i guess.

Did you get the TPS report memo? You need to delete the 'The lounge has a password now' sticky in General.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #118
suleiman

What in the name of fkty fk
Cmon I thought cockOs n Justin were cooler than that

It was a unique place at one point, and I do agree the quality of posts has deteriorated somewhat, but u know what, so has the world.

Fkn fascist bullshit

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #119
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFlak View Post
Im an ally cat, a dirty rat, i rub people the wrong way, thats why i stayed in the lounge, as to not upset the **** snowflakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFlak
Nod, sometimes you release shit behind aols ass, sometimes you become aol. aolol the lamas ass i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Fkn fascist bullshit
Wherever will we find such level of discourse again????
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:59 PM   #120
pandabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Sure but it's pretty disrespectful to the community to shut it down without saying anything at all, no reasoning or warning. Unfortunately it seems like the mods aren't active members of the community they're moderating, at least I never see them. Maybe I'm not clicking on the right threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
Wherever will we find such level of discourse again????
Quote:
Originally Posted by huxley
“I'd rather be myself," he said. "Myself and nasty. Not somebody else, however jolly.”
pandabot is offline   Reply With Quote