Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Default Playback on reaper stutters using AXEFX as audio interface

Hoping someone here would have some clue as to why this is happening. I have a project that is stuttering as soon as I try to play it using an AXEFX II Mark II as an audio interface. There are no such problems with this project when I use any other interface only with the AxeFX. Anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
domzy

correct drivers, buffer size, bit-depth, sample rate etc?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
The Bunker

Yea everything was correct... weird enough it was the anticipative FX processing that was the culprit. When I turned that off it was fine. This was weird and unexpected and I didn't find any reference to it anywhere. Is it a bug? Is there any way to use the AXEFX with the anticipative FX on? Its a minor annoyance to have to turn it on and off everytime I switch interfaces from the Axe FX to my other interface.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:03 AM   #4
The Bunker

It seems even though that fixed most of it there is still little crackling here and there thrugh the axe fx, almost sounds like digital clipping at some points on playback. Even though the red clipping light on the Axefx doesn't come on and the same session played back through my other interfaces sounds fine. I even have the buffer setting much higher on the Axefx than the other interface which should give me even more processing headroom if anything. Does anybody else use Axefx with reaper and find the playback glitchy or distorted?
Old 02-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
micron

Hi, I don't have your audio interface, but I had some similar issues in the past.

I don't know on which computer you are working on, I had random glitches and crackles for no apparent reason, then I've found that after a motherboard bios update, the virtualization has been switched on by default and it was the cause for the glitches and after disabling it everything has been ok.

My suggestion is to check it inside your bios, it has a different name for Intel CPU and AMD, search for something like Intel VT, AMD-v or SVM.

IF virtualization is already disabled, you can also try to disable Hyper-Threading on intel CPU or SMT on AMD CPU, and also EIST on Intel CPU.

Also make sure that your operating system is using a high performance power plan and the CPU must always run at constant maximum frequency.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #6
mschnell

If on Windows, are you using ASIO natively ? Otherwise decent performance is questionable.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:42 AM   #7
The Bunker

I think the issue was related to clock source...