Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
no-fi
Human being with feelings

Default Option to send plain MIDI clock with no start, SPP and continue messages on a loop

hey - very simple feature request here:

I use MIDI clock to run a collection of old MIDI and dinsync (via converters) gear in time with my DAW.. I tend to keep the gear in short loop mode, and work on sections of a track, then build the structure of the track up over time as audio takes in my DAW.

I'm trying to move away from cubase 3 as my linear daw cause it's just so bloated and annoying and I'm sick of it.... and reaper really looks good... good enough that I paid up and registered it.... but, currently the ONLY midi clock output option for reaper is midi clock + SPP.

this is all well and good, until I try and loop a couple of bars in reaper, with a bunch of sequencers/drum machines synced up. Then it becomes a big problem for me.. pretty much a deal breaker.

other daws I've used, in this case, will just output a continuous stream of 24ppqn clock messages as they loop around a few bars, with no break... reaper puts in a midi stop, an SPP message, and a continue when it loops. no other DAW I have ever tried does this with MIDI clock while looping.

These 3 messages are wreaking havoc with my old gear (and friends gear I also tried) and this very small simple thing is stopping me from being able to use reaper to record music the way I want to.

so after all this rambling, what am I actually asking for??

either

1) disable those 3 messages in looping a selection of bars by default. What is there right now seems a bit of an attempt to use midi clock & SPP to try and do what midi timecode should be used for. except it's not what basic midi clock is for, and it breaks for a lot of different gear.

2) provide an option for just midi clock alongside the option for clock&SPP as it currently is. just in case anybody actually uses clock&SPP and it works for them with something they have.

3) make the "click source" item able to be setup to generate pure MIDI clock (with start/stop & continue only when reaper's transport status changes!) just like the smpte timecode generator can be used to make MTC.

thanks!

julian
no-fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
no-fi

so... does nobody have any preferences for how this issue I have should be approached??

in that case, I suppose option 2 is easiest to do, with no chance of breaking things for users of the existing system - I will look into asking just for that if no-one has any other suggestions...
no-fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
steki

problem still there and confirmed with Elektron Octatrack and Jomox Xbase09.
The Ideas

1) disable those 3 messages in looping a selection of bars by default. What is there right now seems a bit of an attempt to use midi clock & SPP to try and do what midi timecode should be used for. except it's not what basic midi clock is for, and it breaks for a lot of different gear.

2) provide an option for just midi clock alongside the option for clock&SPP as it currently is. just in case anybody actually uses clock&SPP and it works for them with something they have.

3) make the "click source" item able to be setup to generate pure MIDI clock (with start/stop & continue only when reaper's transport status changes!) just like the smpte timecode generator can be used to make MTC.

seems to be a good workaround!!!

Last edited by steki; 08-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.
steki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
PdxLuke

Ancient thread but this issue still persists, shockingly. My Ditto X4 looper is unusable with Reaper at this point. I do a lot of starting and stopping of the Reaper project as I'm working on it. I don't want the Ditto to start playing whatever is recorded on it every single time I do this. Is there still no way to disable start/stop??
PdxLuke is offline   Reply With Quote