Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
drew
Mobile

Default Editing behaviour changes from v3

Some things have changed in v4 alphas that I'm not sure are intentional or side-effects of the new functions added, but have thrown me somewhat!...

1) Single-clicking/ctrl-clicking/shift-clicking a media item edge now does not affection selection of the item itself.. and I would say it should, as it always used to?

2) The default mouse modifier behaviour for media item shift-click is now "Add item to selection if no effect extend time selection" (assuming i've not accidentally changed this). I'm not sure what "if no effect" means in this case (could that bit be more explanatory?) but previously shift-clicking was just doing add part and not changing time selection, so that should surely be default?

3) The mouse modifier for Track control panel double-click to "select all media items on track" leaves the track and not the items selected/focussed (edit: consequences as mentioned by bbb below)

Last edited by drew; 01-03-2011 at 01:04 PM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
beatbybit
Human being with feelings

* i cant click (snap edit cursor) to item edges (which arent on Grid) at some zoom settings in v4 alphas. if i zoom in more, it works.

v4: http://screencast.com/t/i0gJQ5FQ2prz
v3: http://screencast.com/t/TV38q6UjV1

* another weirdness: http://screencast.com/t/iTcvR63VO
if i do this, then press CTR+C + CTR+V it pastes the whole Track with the items. not ONLY the items on the selected track

* and imHo this belongs to "Editing behaviour changes from v3" too:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...504#post649504
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
2) The default mouse modifier behaviour for media item shift-click is now "Add item to selection if no effect extend time selection" (assuming i've not accidentally changed this). I'm not sure what "if no effect" means in this case (could that bit be more explanatory?) but previously shift-clicking was just doing add part and not changing time selection, so that should surely be default?
The default behavior of shift-click on a a media item is "add item to selection, if no effect extend time selection." This means, first REAPER will try to do the regular shift+click behavior of adding items to the selection.

If that behavior has no effect -- if the item being clicked on, and all contiguous items between the last click and the current click, are already selected -- then the shift+click is interpreted as if it were a track click, and the time selection is extended. In other words, the time selection should only be affected if the item selection is *not* affected.

Previously, extending the time selection over a media item was unpredictable (two shift-clicks on the same item would extend the time selection, but not consistently). The goal of the awkwardly-named behavior is to support extending the time selection over the item, without getting in the way of adding to the item selection.

Do you think it is preferable to make users choose between adding to the item selection and extending the time selection? Given that the new default behavior is to show item labels over the item, which always gives you empty track space to click on, it may not be necessary to support the complex behavior. Also, any suggestions for how to make that action description clearer would be appreciated.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
beatbybit

"add item to selection, if no effect extend time selection." - also selects tracks, right? shouldnt the action name tell about that too? *

http://screencast.com/t/WMuq8byiBi - im only shift clicking on items, and so far i dont get the logics of this behaviour. :S

* maybe it is because another preference setting? complicated..
Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
DanXIV

Clicking on an envoloppe to select it moves the play cursor.

I search for a setting to stop it but didn't find any.

Sorry wrong place, i'll post it in the bugs post.

Last edited by DanXIV; 01-03-2011 at 04:18 PM.
DanXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbybit View Post
* i cant click (snap edit cursor) to item edges (which arent on Grid) at some zoom settings in v4 alphas. if i zoom in more, it works.

v4: http://screencast.com/t/i0gJQ5FQ2prz
v3: http://screencast.com/t/TV38q6UjV1
In Options/Preferences/Editing behavior/Mouse Modifiers go to "Media item click" context and verify its default action is "Select item and move edit cursor" (it should be that way by default in v4, you just probably changed it).

Quote:
* another weirdness: http://screencast.com/t/iTcvR63VO
if i do this, then press CTR+C + CTR+V it pastes the whole Track with the items. not ONLY the items on the selected track
Yeah, confirmed. Before alpha15 (and in v3) focus was set to items when we double-clicked on tracks. It was very useful because we could double-click on tracks while holding ctrl and select all items in specific tracks only
Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
In Options/Preferences/Editing behavior/Mouse Modifiers go to "Media item click" context and verify its default action is "Select item and move edit cursor" (it should be that way by default in v4, you just probably changed it).
thats the one i have selected. its not working as i'd need.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
thats the one i have selected. its not working as i'd need.
Yeah, you're right, in v3 it always work but in v4 it is zoom dependent... weird.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanXIV View Post
Clicking on an envoloppe to select it moves the play cursor.

[img]removed[/img]

I search for a setting to stop it but didn't find any.
This as well depends on on the setting for "Media item click" context default action that Mercado just mentioned. If that is set to an action that moves the edit cursor (with or without snap), it will move on envelope segment click as well. To stop it, change Media item click to "Select item" only.

These two behaviors are interdependent in v3.x as well. If you have "Move edit cursor when clicking media items" enabled in v3.x, clicking on an envelope segment would move the edit cursor to the mouse. Personally I have it off and like what happens, but maybe a separate option for the envelopes would be good?

@bbb: Confirmed.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
drew
Mobile

Now we have a new one - one which will screw up some poor soul's session and not even be noticed at the time:

Copying & pasting a MIDI item now sharing that source (rather than creating a new independent one as it has done for years) and that's just not right for default behaviour.. even though it's great functionality to have, it's one of those I really think should be "opt-in" considering when V4 hits there's going to be an awful lot of changelog for the non alpha/beta testers to take in!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

I agree. Several people have mentioned that creating "ghost copies" should rather be something done with modifier + copy. I'd like to have it that way too. So I can decide any time if I want to create a ghost or a unique item when I copy, without changing a preference (and look up what it might be set to at the moment).

I think the switch belongs into the mouse modifier thing and it shouldn't default to do ghosts on ordinary Ctrl+drag.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
strunkdts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
when V4 hits there's going to be an awful lot of changelog for the non alpha/beta testers to take in!
For real!
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote