Old 07-09-2020, 03:15 AM   #1
Evan
Human being with feelings

Default Laptop speaker crackling, can it be fixed?

I got a 2nd hand laptop (gift), which supposedly has a good speaker system (premium ASUS laptop a few generations behind, I see the words ICEPower and Bang & Olufsen on it).

Unfortunately, the speaker(s) crackle when the volume gets to medium or louder. I know the laptop has suffered a fall or two from the previous owner.

Is it something that could be fixed?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I got a 2nd hand laptop (gift), which supposedly has a good speaker system (premium ASUS laptop a few generations behind, I see the words ICEPower and Bang & Olufsen on it).

Unfortunately, the speaker(s) crackle when the volume gets to medium or louder. I know the laptop has suffered a fall or two from the previous owner.

they may be damaged or they cant be too loud..

Last edited by martmix; 07-09-2020 at 06:00 AM.
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
Poinzy

Quote:

Circuit boards inside high-heat environments like laptops will be stressed in a way they wouldn't be otherwise. Plus your friend dropped the laptop a couple of times. If there is damage, I wouldn't count on being able to repair it.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
ivansc

I used to repair laptops at one time & replacing the speaker module is dead easy.

Might be worth finding out what it is and how much one would cost you.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 AM   #5
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I used to repair laptops at one time & replacing the speaker module is dead easy.

Might be worth finding out what it is and how much one would cost you.
Thanks. I would be worried about finding inferior non-genuine parts. On the other hand, any sound is better than crackling sound...
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
Poinzy

Making any headway getting parts for the repair? I'm curious.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
vdubreeze

Quote:
Thanks. I would be worried about finding inferior non-genuine parts. On the other hand, any sound is better than crackling sound...
I have a 2009 MacBook Pro that used to sound fine, then became farty with anything over medium low volume. Sounds more blown speakers than anything else. I found a yard-sale pair of passive cheepos in the closet and got back in business.

Laptops can be really fragile things for DIY fixes. Everything fits like a puzzle in a particular model so you don't have much choice as far as parts. Might be better off not going that route and just getting something you can just plug into the headphone out. If you're not as much a cheapskate as I am you can get some very serviceable tiny speakers that attach to the cover sides so they go with you when you move around. If you have a USB port to spare you can get a tiny bus powered pair that go into the port.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:03 AM   #8
ivansc

vdu breeze: I had been assmebling & repairing desktops for years & avoiding lappies till I bit the bullet, found a "how to take your (insert make & model here) to pieces" vid on facebook.

Once you have done one & know where to find the vids to help you, it is really easy.

But worth spending a few bucks on a decent set of screwdrivers and if you are my age, one of those illuminated headband magnifiers.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
vdu breeze: I had been assmebling & repairing desktops for years & avoiding lappies till I bit the bullet, found a "how to take your (insert make & model here) to pieces" vid on facebook.

Once you have done one & know where to find the vids to help you, it is really easy.

But worth spending a few bucks on a decent set of screwdrivers and if you are my age, one of those illuminated headband magnifiers.
LOL, I don't have the illuminated headband magnifier but that's would be a good pandemic gift to myself. I've got all the tools and can follow a video. But the problem is Apple, for maybe the past 15 years, became SO obsessed with thinner, lighter, smaller that everything in a Macbook Pro is layered on top of several other unrelated parts, so I've yet to do a replacement of anything that didn't involve peeling off several layers of other things that are held in place by an extremely delicate sticky tab on a paper thin base. And seemingly designed , aside from being tinier than it needed to be, to not hold up under being removed and put back. Pretty tough to negotiate The parts that are removed only with screws are not as bad, but that's limited only a few components aside from the logic board. It's like they couldn't improve on much for a model, processor is the same, so they said, "Well, let's make it even thinner then. Of course we'll have to flatten down some of the parts and stick them into crevices that don't have a centimeter to spare and will make people crazy, but it's all in the name of shaving another millimeter off its thickness!" What, I need to use solder paste to put it back in?? : (

Most replacements in a Mac laptop are worth taking to a shop because of this, just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
ivansc

The short answer is that all Apple products are designed to be damn near impossible to actually repair - my daughter was using apples due to her dyslexia & that being the dyslexia support system specifically handing out MacBooks.

When she finally switched to windows, I got given her last MacBook to see if I could fix the faulty video system.
The only way of doing so would have been to buy a new replacement board, cabling, etc., which cost more than buying a replacement MacBook used!
Old 07-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #11
Win Conway

To be fair, the speakers in every Macbook I have ever opened have been a complete piece of pee to replace, probably one of the most easily accessible parts, and they blow for fun in the Airs, everything else is one single board as you say, a complete PITA.

Depending on the size of the OPs Asus, you are quite likely to find plenty of takedown videos, Asus have/had a terrible habit of making your split the entire laptop apart just to get at their drives, so it is normally a bit of a pain, but you will do it fine, just make sure you get the screws in the right order as you take them out.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I have a 2009 MacBook Pro that used to sound fine, then became farty with anything over medium low volume. Sounds more blown speakers than anything else. I found a yard-sale pair of passive cheepos in the closet and got back in business.
And the headphone output is fine?

There's a fair chance the speakers are just loose. They're glued to the rough aluminium inside of the shell and need to be firmly and uniformly attached, or they'll rattle.

I spent hours figuring out why with one of my MB Pro 2009's. Blown speakers are extremely rare.

OT: I was just watching some Apple repair vids for certified techs in the newest GSX (admin for 3rd party repair). The vids are available in English, of course, Chinese and Korean...
Old 07-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
And the headphone output is fine?

There's a fair chance the speakers are just loose. They're glued to the rough aluminium inside of the shell and need to be firmly and uniformly attached, or they'll rattle.

I spent hours figuring out why with one of my MB Pro 2009's. Blown speakers are extremely rare.

OT: I was just watching some Apple repair vids for certified techs in the newest GSX (admin for 3rd party repair). The vids are available in English, of course, Chinese and Korean...
Thanks, cyrano. Yeah, the output is fine, speakers make everything sound like Jack Bruce in farty tone land and at half expected volume. I haven't fought past my malaise to open it, not having anything to replace them with, but of course it makes perfect sense to check for that. I was thinking "Gee, I must be the only person in the world who blew out his computer speakers listening to Reaper youtubes"
Old 07-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
cyrano

It's easy to fix. Once you know how and find suitable double sided tape...
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #15
vixar

I faced the similar laptop speaker crackling problem. I thought it would be solve after updating system drivers but could not be solve the problem. I have been searching laptop repair service center. Need suggestion.
vixar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #16
Philbo King

Most headphone outputs will drive line-level inputs just fine once you set the phones output level to a non-distorting level. Your best bet is to get a cable with 1/8" stereo plug on one end and use it to feed 2 separate powered speakers.