COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-24-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
Lokine
Human being with feelings

Default How to set up for mic input?

At the moment I don't have any way to connect my instruments to my computer, but I do have a mic. Is it possible to jam through simply having an amp hooked up near the computer and have the mic pick up the instrument sound? If so, how? And if not, can anyone recommend any good/cheap connections that don't require a new sound card (like USB or something easy)?
Lokine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokine
At the moment I don't have any way to connect my instruments to my computer, but I do have a mic. Is it possible to jam through simply having an amp hooked up near the computer and have the mic pick up the instrument sound? If so, how? And if not, can anyone recommend any good/cheap connections that don't require a new sound card (like USB or something easy)?
Yeah, you can do that.. depending on the mic it may sound like crap though. And be sure to wear headphones for the output!

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
plasticmetal

yea, the mic would probably sound like poo, plus you'll have the feedback issue to always watch out for.

Does your amp have the equivlant of 'Line Out' or 'pre-out'? You could run that into your Line In on your CPU (most sound cards have these, it'll be next to the mic plug, the Green plug [i think]).

This will run you 'direct' and you'll hear yourself playing out of the same output as your listening to everyone else on.
plasticmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticmetal
yea, the mic would probably sound like poo, plus you'll have the feedback issue to always watch out for.

Does your amp have the equivlant of 'Line Out' or 'pre-out'? You could run that into your Line In on your CPU (most sound cards have these, it'll be next to the mic plug, the Green plug [i think]).

This will run you 'direct' and you'll hear yourself playing out of the same output as your listening to everyone else on.
A decent mic on an amp is actually a very good thing (think a stack + a SM57 or a nice condenser...)

-J
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:40 AM   #5
Lokine

Well, I figured it out, and so far I haven't gotten any complaints. I can hear myself just fine, too, on both my mandolin (acoustic) and guitar (amped.)
Lokine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
plasticmetal

Indeed, that's a great way to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
A decent mic on an amp is actually a very good thing (think a stack + a SM57 or a nice condenser...)
plasticmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #7
lightman

amps add to the sound
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:34 AM   #8
Mitch72

mics are usually used to record guitar... the amp is alot better at making and amplifying sound from a guitar than a soundcard is...
Mitch72 is offline   Reply With Quote