Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
darnskewered
Human being with feelings

Default Any way to programmatically add media file with ReaScript?

Hi, I'm very new to Reaper, and DAWs in general, but I am a programmer so I should have no trouble once pointed to the correct api calls...

Here's all I want to do:

1) Enumerate several dozen midi files which contain nothing but a single track of piano music.

2) For each of these files, insert midi file in current project as a track.

3) Attach a VSTi instrument to the track.

4) Bounce the track to wav with the same name as the midi file.

5) Repeat until all files bounced to wav. (ideally, mp3 directly, but I can convert later if not).

ALL I am looking for right now is how to interpret the API documentation. For example, I am trying to find out just how to insert a media file programmatically. I see classes like MediaItem and MediaTrack but nowhere in the documentation says how to create these objects.

It looks like maybe I can interact with "insert media item" via an action or command #, but there's nothing in the documentation that I have interpreted as: "Here's where you put the filename parameter" etc.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. For all I know, what I want to do can be done without scripting. I have over 700 midi files I want to automate the above process for.
darnskewered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Neutronic

Welcome to the forum! Everything you listed can be done. Since you're a programmer it's just a matter of getting yourself familiar with the API.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
For example, I am trying to find out just how to insert a media file programmatically. I see classes like MediaItem and MediaTrack but nowhere in the documentation says how to create these objects.
Check the docs for the InsertMedia() function.

For example, to add a new track and put a MIDI file on it using LUA you would type the following:

reaper.InsertMedia("path_to_file", 1)
Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
darnskewered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronic View Post
Welcome to the forum! Everything you listed can be done. Since you're a programmer it's just a matter of getting yourself familiar with the API.

For example, to add a new track and put a MIDI file on it using LUA you would type the following:

Gah! How did I miss that? I kept searching for reasonable search terms on the REAPER API functions page and somehow didn't run across this. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
darnskewered

Alright, next I want to add a VSTi instrument to the track once loaded. I tried this:

reaper.InsertMedia("C:/Users/derek/Dropbox/Music/midi/2009/2009 April 08.mid", 1) --this worked
track = reaper.GetTrack(0, 0)
reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "Ivory (Synthogy)", false, 0) --nothing happens

But it has no effect. I want to programmatically do what happens when I click on "FX" on the track and select a VSTi instrument from the dialog.

Last edited by darnskewered; 11-25-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
jrengmusic

Perhaps it might be better to create track template with chosen VSTi loaded with its samples, presets, etc.

So, the workflow would be
  • Load track template
  • Insert MIDI file
  • Render
Old 11-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
nofish

Hi,

the API doc for TrackFX_AddByName() says for instantiate parameter:
Quote:
Specify a negative value for instantiate to always create a new effect, 0 to only query the first instance of an effect, or a positive value to add an instance if one is not found.
So if you put 0 there it only returns in which position of a track FX chain a specific FX is found (-1 if not found) but doesn't instantiate one.
If you put -1 (always create a new effect) or 1 (add an instance if one is not found) there it should work.

Sidenote 1:
If you haven't seen it yet, X-Raym made a nice API doc with function filtering:
https://www.extremraym.com/cloud/reascript-doc/

Sidenote 2:
You could use code tags for posting your code here for a bit easier reading and keeping the formatting.
https://forum.cockos.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#code

edit:
Good suggestion from jrengmusic I think.
For loading a track template you can use Main_openProject().

Last edited by nofish; 11-25-2019 at 09:08 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
darnskewered

I can't seem to get TrackFX_SetPreset to work. Here's my code:

Code:
reaper.InsertMedia("C:/Users/derek/Dropbox/Music/midi/2019/2019 November 22 01.mid", 1)
track = reaper.GetTrack(0, 0)
fx = reaper.TrackFX_AddByName(track, "Ivory (Synthogy)", false, -1)
reaper.TrackFX_SetPreset(track, fx, "Bosendorfer 225 Grand Piano")
I was however able to get the above to work with a track template as suggested:
Code:
reaper.Main_openProject("C:/Users/derek/AppData/Roaming/REAPER/TrackTemplates/improvtemplate.RTrackTemplate")
reaper.InsertMedia("C:/Users/derek/Dropbox/Music/midi/2019/2019 November 22 01.mid", 0)

Now, I'm looking for how to render out the current project. The only API call I found in the documentation which has the word render in it is this:

Quote:
boolean reaper.RenderFileSection(string source_filename, string target_filename, number start_percent, number end_percent, number playrate)

Not available while playing back.
The documentation is not very helpful. What is a file section? What is the source and target file type? Project? Start and end percent sound intuitive, but then what is playrate?

I'm tempted to say this API documentation has a bit of a case of WTFM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Use my ultraschall-API. I've added a full set of rendering-functions into it.

https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch...1_Introduction

Doing it solely with Reaper's own API it's not easy to do, so I made these functions to make it easy to code.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
darnskewered

I got everything working by using autohotkey as suggested by someone here. Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 07-16-2020, 05:05 AM   #10
zcyh_147

Quote:

Thank soooooo much!! That InsertMedia() function is so useful!!!!
zcyh_147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:04 PM   #11
rockerr

Quote:

I'm going to ressurect this thread, as I'm having a serious problem with InsertMedia() automation. Once the InsertMedia() function is called a "MIDI File Import" window pops up and requires manual input to click "okay". There are ways to catch this window and close is with a script when the file is imported manually (as in this post: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=246364), however when imported by a script the scripting thread seems to be busy already and the MIDI window remains open stopping all operations until manual input is provided.

Do you have any idea how to go around this? Without closing that "MIDI File Import" window by a script the whole automation is useless.
rockerr is offline   Reply With Quote