Old 04-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
cetopi
Human being with feelings

Default edit just one item?

I need to push the volume of just smalls item in tracks
using trim automation I can only go +6 and that's not enough, and if I open it in an external editor it opens the whole track instead of the already isolated item.

Any solution? I can only think of pasting the item in another track but I'd love to avoid that.
cetopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
vdubreeze

Make it its own item by splitting on either side. Although the item properties only lets you add so much gain, you can put on any plugin with an output control as item fx and crank it up for just that tiny bit.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
cetopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Make it its own item by splitting on either side. Although the item properties only lets you add so much gain, you can put on any plugin with an output control as item fx and crank it up for just that tiny bit.
I can dedicate a plugin automation, and also duplicate tracks and group, but I was looking for a easier or faster or simple scenario, but I guess it isn't possible.
it's already splitted, but opening in the other editor it opens the whole file.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetopi View Post
That's because normal editing in Reaper is non-destructive, so you will still have the whole file in external editor. If you glue the item snippet you split, a new file of that size will be created > external editor will also get just that part, not the whole (original) file.

About the item volume. You can get +12 dB with the item volume alone. Also, you can change the volume envelope range up to +24 dB in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Envelope Display.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetopi View Post
I can dedicate a plugin automation, and also duplicate tracks and group, but I was looking for a easier or faster or simple scenario, but I guess it isn't possible.
You don't need to open it in an external editor, which is I think why a whole file is coming up. Just stick with the tracks window in Reaper and highlight that tiny item and go to "item properties". I get item properties when I double click on it, probably because I have no editor assigned and maybe our mouse clicks are different. If you raise the gain in item properties and then glue it, it creates a new item with the change burned in (the old audio is always still there in the original file unless you glue the entire file length and delete unused files with "clean current project directory". You can instead of using the item properties gain use your volume automation and render a new tiny section and insert that in, so you'll have a section closer in volume to what you need (with your automation baked in) and you can adjust the volume further to taste.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
hopi

If you go into Pref's and change how you increase the volume on an item from the line at top that you drag, to the knob... then with that knob you can increase or decrease a great amount more.... at least 12 db
Old 04-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
cetopi

I got it! it was actually easy:
preferences/appearance/media/item volume control

default is "handle: +0db is top of the item", so you can only go down.

"+0db is center" or the beautiful "Knob", lets you go up to +24db editing single items.

Preferences/Editing Behavior/Envelope Display as xpander said, it's about trimming and it affects the whole track.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
Goldreap

cetopi,

as well as track vol envelopes there are take vol envelopes. The 'Volume envelope range' setting in Preferences actually affects them as well.
To get to take vol envelope right click item> Take>....
But yes, if you just want to raise the volume of the item without an envelope the knob is the way to go.
Keep in mind that the take vol envelope just affects the selected take whereas the knob affects all takes in the item.
To summarize:
Item has volume adjustment (knob or handle), affects all takes in item.
Take has volume adjustment (in Media item properties> Take properties) AND Take volume envelope.

Last edited by Goldreap; 04-05-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
cetopi

thank you