Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 12:18 AM   #41
Ericson
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
You draw rectangles that snap in to the height of tracks or subsequent lanes. And this is what I find quite irritating, because this is haptically and visually a total different thing from using a razor to edit tape in real life. What happens on the screen, especially when working with wide tracks or lanes, doesn't go along well with the term 'razor', a thing that you'd use delicately and with caution.
-Data
Or keep the term razor edit and let Reaper truly do what a razor can do: cut in any direction you desire! Cut diagonally, or with a curve, or what ever way you prefer. I haven't seen any daw that could do this, but it would be awesome to see and hear media items with for example a diagonal cut with a cross-fade. There would be no limit. I guess Justin and Schwa already knew this, and therefore we will see in the future some great new ways we can use the razor
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #42
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson View Post
Or keep the term razor edit and let Reaper truly do what a razor can do: cut in any direction you desire! Cut diagonally, or with a curve, or what ever way you prefer.
Yes, that's what I meant, as I wrote
Quote:
...the term 'razor edit' would fit if you could do edits of any shape in the arrange view the same way as you'd do in a graphics application...
-Data
Old 11-21-2020, 01:32 AM   #43
Ericson

Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant, as I wrote

-Data
I must have overlooked that post, but we are thinking the same about it
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:34 AM   #44
ivansc

Hm. Leaves me wondering if it would be do-able to make razor edit able to "cut slots" in a project like the really good editors used to do when working on 2" tape and cutting little rectangles out to edit just ONE track at a time?

In theory, this should be really easy to do in a DAW. I like the idea of being able to cut out Z-shaped pieces in a project & either move or edit them. Or is this already do-able? I havent tried any of the pre-release versions, so totally ignorant on what you can or cant do right now.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:53 AM   #45
tufb

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
"Cutter" is another word. I think "kutter" in German is a pretty apt translation.
nofish already mentioned kutter. There is indeed the gibberish "Cutter", a widely used word for box cutters with replaceable blades: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutter_(Messer)

I feel a disconnect between the name razor edit and the actual functionality. That's just the non-native English speaker in me. I can't wait until the feature's fully integrated!!

edit: rewrote first sentence. my point is that krahosk is right. but my English is sligthly rusty

Last edited by tufb; 11-21-2020 at 03:11 PM.
tufb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #46
cairnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
Olá Daniel,

As duas formas mais próximas para Razor na tradução foram de:

Precisão e Aguçamento.

Por isso entre elas, minha escolha para Razor Edit foi: Edição aguçada.

P.S: Além de Navalha: Bisturi e Estilete teriam a mesma tradução pois estão relacionadas com precisão em seu corte (corte preciso).

P.S: In addition to Razor: Scalpel and Stylus or Stiletto would have the same translation because they are related with precision in their cut (precise cut).

Abraços,
Edison
Não nasci no Brasil, más morei aí por alguns anos, em Minas Gerais. Amo o Brasil e tenho saudade! Da gente, da comida, tudo. É bom relembrar a língua portuguesa, e a precisão dela!

Not immediately related to anything in the forum, but I wanted to give a shout out to what I feel is my second home!

Last edited by cairnan; 11-21-2020 at 08:02 AM.
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #47
Breeder

If you right click non-media file (such as track template, fx chain, image etc...) you get context menu with unnecessary separator at the bottom:

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-11-21 15.11.54.png (3.8 KB, 1056 views)
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #48
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufb View Post
nofish already mentioned kutter. There is also the gibberish "Cutter", a widely used word for box cutters with replaceable blades: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutter_(Messer) It's up there with Handy.

I feel a disconnect between the name razor edit and the actual functionality. That's just the non-native English speaker in me. I can't wait until the feature's fully integrated!!
I feel disconnected with that term the way Reaper uses it too in English. The cursor icon in Reaper represents an exacto but the term used is "razor" nonetheless.
Why not use "Scythe Edit" instead, since Reaper's logo is a scythe. But I understand that "razor" shaves off, and maybe that's what razor edit does.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #49
nofish

For purpose of the naming discussion, background why razor edit (and area selection was abandoned):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....64#post2336264

Last edited by nofish; 11-21-2020 at 10:56 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #50
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hm. Leaves me wondering if it would be do-able to make razor edit able to "cut slots" in a project like the really good editors used to do when working on 2" tape and cutting little rectangles out to edit just ONE track at a time?

In theory, this should be really easy to do in a DAW. I like the idea of being able to cut out Z-shaped pieces in a project & either move or edit them. Or is this already do-able? I havent tried any of the pre-release versions, so totally ignorant on what you can or cant do right now.
Something that somewhat points at the direction of what 'real' razor edit would be is already there in REAPER in spectral edit (although not really the same); if you insert a spectral edit range in a media item, you can not just move the upper and lower boundary of the frequency range, you can also draw the boundaries freehand while holding down ctrl key.

-Data
Old 11-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #51
cairnan

Quote:

Faaaaala Mineiro!! Se me permite assim chama-lo, carinhosamente.

Abraços!!
Edison
Com certeza - e baixei a tradução!
Old 11-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #52
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnan View Post
Com certeza - e baixei a tradução!
Thanks for downloading it.

With very few untranslated lines ... Although I sometimes asked for these strings.

I don't know why, the Downloads counter is stuck at 5438, it's been a long time!

You are in which country ... I looked over but I didn't find it.

Thanks !!

Last edited by Edison; 11-22-2020 at 03:02 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #53
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
For purpose of the naming discussion, background why razor edit (and area selection was abandoned):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....64#post2336264
Thanks Nofish for pointing at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The purpose of renaming area selection to razor edit is to create a coherent mental model for what this feature does...
But this mental model is only coherent, if you assume that everyone associates this with cutting and splicing analog tapes like we did in the ole days. But as I stated above, many of us didn't ever use an analog tape recorder before.

Quote:
...and to specifically remove the user expectation that this feature behaves similarly to project time selections.
So wouldn't 'area selection' replaced by 'area edit' remove this user expectation of similarity as well?

Quote:
Given that razor edits currently don't support *any* area selection behaviors, focusing on the razor edit domain gives us a useful intermediate milestone for the feature.
This gives room for hope.

-Data
Old 11-22-2020, 02:33 AM   #54
cairnan

Quote:

With very few untranslated lines ... Although I sometimes asked for these strings.

I don't know why, the Downloads counter is stuck at 5438, it's been a long time!
that is strange. language translation is a great endeavor that really fits with Reaper's theme of always being customizable and specific to any person's specific style or workflow. One of Reaper's main draws in my opinion.

Quote:

You are in which country ... I looked over but I didn't find it.
I live in the United States; born here, and living here for the foreseeable future. My local supermarket has Guaraná Antarctica so everything's great here haha.

Last edited by cairnan; 11-22-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:21 AM   #55
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnan View Post
bem, isso é estranho mesmo. mas traduzir é um trabalho bem útil, e que encaixa com o tema de Reaper de sempre ter aquela costumização e especificidade para qualquer estilo / pessoa. uma atração principal de Reaper ao meu ver.

Moro nos Estados Unidos. Nasci aqui, continuo aqui por enquanto. Meu supermercado local tem Guaraná Antarctica então tudo está bem aqui haha

Hello cairnan!

I rewrote the post text in English (my poor English) to avoid being scolded
Could you please delete your last text and rewrite it in English?
Guaraná Antarctica, the best!

kind regards,
Old 11-22-2020, 03:47 AM   #56
cairnan

Quote:
Hello cairnan!

I rewrote the post text in English (my poor English) to avoid being scolded
Could you please delete your last text and rewrite it in English?
Guaraná Antarctica, the best!

kind regards,
No problem. And your English is good! English is a capable language, but has some very odd and inconsistent rules!

cairnan
Old 11-22-2020, 03:48 AM   #57
Mr. Data

Well, I think I shouldn't be that loudmouthed, since I had a short discussion in (BTW bad) German with Airon, but just in case you didn't know: There's a special Forum for Spanish speaking folks in the world wide spread REAPER community:
Foro de REAPER en Español.

-Data
Old 11-22-2020, 04:18 AM   #58
Edison

Quote:
Well, I think I shouldn't be that loudmouthed, since I had a short discussion in (BTW bad) German with Airon, but just in case you didn't know: There's a special Forum for Spanish speaking folks in the world wide spread REAPER community:
Foro de REAPER en Español.

-Data
Hello Mr Data!!

It all started because of how to translate Razor Edit

I know of the existence of Forums for other languages, sometimes I go to one of them, Portuguese.
@cairnan mentioned in Brazilian Portuguese, that he lived in Brazil for a few years, and I tried to be kind to him, just as he was to me.

Best regards,

Last edited by Edison; 11-22-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:00 AM   #59
Mr. Data

Quote:
It all started because of how to translate Razor Edit

I know of the existence of Forums for other languages, sometimes I go to one of them.
@cairnan mentioned in Brazilian Portuguese, that he lived in Brazil for a few years, and I tried to be kind to him, just as he was to me.

Best regards,
Aaargh!
What have I done!?

No, Edison, what I wrote was by no means intended as accusation!
Written Portuguese and Spanish don't look very different to the one who doesn't know (namely me).
To be kind and willing to help can never be a bad thing to do imo.

-Data
Old 11-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #60
Edison

Quote:
Aaargh!
What have I done!?

No, Edison, what I wrote was by no means intended as accusation!
Written Portuguese and Spanish don't look very different to the one who doesn't know (namely me).
To be kind and willing to help can never be a bad thing to do imo.

-Data
At no time did I feel like an accusation on your part
In fact, you are always a gentleman.

By the way. Has your Language-Pack Downloads counter ever stopped? Mine, stopped in 5438 and it's been a while!

Edison,

Last edited by Edison; 11-22-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 AM   #61
Mr. Data

Thank you.

Well, right now I'm blushing.

Yes, it stopped, probably 'cos nobody downloaded it.
No, seriously - the trick is, that you never change the filename. Just replace your old langpack file, but keep the exact same name and in the file itself update the data in the first line, right behind "#NAME: ". That should do it - Hm - at least it did for me.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 11-22-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #62
Edison

Quote:
Thank you.

Well, right now I'm blushing.

Yes, it stopped, probably 'cos nobody downloaded it.
No, seriously - the trick is, that you never change the filename. Just replace your old langpack file, but keep the exact same name and in the file itself update the data in the first line, right behind "#NAME: ". That should do it - Hm - at least it did for me.

-Data
Hello Data,

By Download, kkkkk!
By name change this was not, but text can be. Because I made a small change in a Header text. I will test by going back to the previous text.

Thanks a lot!!
Edison,
Old 11-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #63
Mr. Data

Well, my langpack file is always called "DE_(+SWS).ReaperLangPack" on the REAPER stash, but the first line differs from version to version. Following the token '#NAME:' is what you see as entry of the dropdown menu, when selecting this langpack in REAPER.

Code:
#NAME:Deutsch [DE] [v6.15] (+SWS) (201122)
Could you possibly have forgotten to tag your file as "Language Packs" at "Category" before uploading?

-Data
Old 11-23-2020, 03:11 AM   #64
Edison

Quote:
Well, my langpack file is always called "DE_(+SWS).ReaperLangPack" on the REAPER stash, but the first line differs from version to version. Following the token '#NAME:' is what you see as entry of the dropdown menu, when selecting this langpack in REAPER.

Code:
#NAME:Deutsch [DE] [v6.15] (+SWS) (201122)
Could you possibly have forgotten to tag your file as "Language Packs" at "Category" before uploading?

-Data
Hello Data

Thanks again for your attention.

1- The name of my file, always like this: #NAME:Português [pt-BR] - By Edison Defavari

2- When creating the file, I did not forget to choose how: "Language Packs" at "Category" before uploading.

Note: Some time ago, something similar happened when the counter was at over 10,000 Downloads. So if necessary I start again from Zero. I'll just ask my friend @Juca to post the comment again.

Kind regards,

Last edited by Edison; 11-23-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #65
EpicSounds

ignorant english only speaker here - could you not just make Razor Edit a proper name? Translate the description not the function name.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #66
Mr. Data

Sure, but I wanted to avoid this, hence my insisting (and what I've not expected, the discussion).
The reason is that I wanted that German as well as English speaking people have the same associations when working with this function. Currently we face two possible situations for German speakers: Either (s)he'd say: "Hö? Why is this function called differently in German?" (e. g. the ones who mainly use the native English version and use the German one, just to overcome some obstacles) or they'd say: "Hö? Rasierklinge? Klinge? What the hell has got that to do with a razor!? I'm selecting rectangles here, I'm not shaving. I don't even have a beard."

For the time being, since this function is not implemented in a full release version yet, I've called it "Kettensägen-Bearbeitung" in the langpack.

BTW: currently I'm working hard on it.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 11-23-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #67
Mr. Data

Hi Edison,

First of all I must say that I don't no why I always assumed you did a Spanish version. Ignorant me.

Also sorry for overlooking your post prior to EpicSounds'.
Have seen it just now.

You wrote...
Quote:
1- The name of my file, always like this: #NAME:Português [pt-BR] - By Edison Defavari
Maybe that's the point:
The first line in the langpack file, beginning with '#NAME:' Can (and maybe should) have different content for every upload you do, but the file name should remain the same. To achieve this, don't just use 'Upload', but 'Replace' when uploading.

I doubt, BTW, that the view counter is limited to 10,000.

-Data
Old 11-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #68
Justin
Administrator

Re: the stash and the download counters stalling -- there's some (ancient ancient!) anti-flood code which was being triggered in there, oops. I've tweaked it so the counters should be moving again (hopefully it doesn't break anything).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #69
Zeno

I really don't understand why it is such a big problem to adopt Razor Edit as Razor Edit in German.
We are so accustomed to Anglicisms in Germany that adopting a part of the Reaper nomenclature makes no difference.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #70
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
I really don't understand why it is such a big problem to adopt Razor Edit as Razor Edit in German.
We are so accustomed to Anglicisms in Germany that adopting a part of the Reaper nomenclature makes no difference.
Nerd Enthusiasm ^^

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #71
tonalstates

As a native spanish speaker I've never ever had an issue calling things by their "technical names" even so, Razor edits sounds to me like a "brand" function, like Reaverb, Reacomp or fruity synth (FLStudio) i.e. so having "Razor edits" all over languages would make it seem like that, and to me, that is best since it's going to be an essential editing tool so everybody can just say "yeah, razor edits" and get on with their life without the "lost in translation" problems hahah just my 2c. Yeah, germans may go like "what is this" buut if everyone refers to them as "razor edits" well its just a tool with a tag now, like Gullfoss or Eiosis, "weird names" but they do the job
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:17 AM   #72
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Yeah, germans may go like "what is this" buut if everyone refers to them as "razor edits" well its just a tool with a tag now, like Gullfoss or Eiosis, "weird names" but they do the job
The discussion itself already shows that not everyone refers to this function as "razor edits".
And why use weird names, when at some point a 'razor edit' functionality might be built into REAPER that does a 'real' 'razor edit', meaning mark a range of any shape and do whatever you want with it?

The translation isn't the main problem here; it can be done, even if the translation will be kinda ridiculous. The term itself is the problem. It isn't intuitive whatsoever, neither in German nor in English.
The connotation is the issue.

Yet once more: Why would somebody who is new to all that stuff think of a razor blade, when (s)he draws rectangles...
Quote:
that snap in to the height of tracks or subsequent lanes. And this is what I find quite irritating, because this is haptically and visually a total different thing from using a razor to edit tape in real life. What happens on the screen doesn't go along well with the term 'razor', a thing that you'd use delicately and with caution.
?
We all tend to forget too often to think outside our own box.
So why not make it as easy as possible for newbies to learn REAPER, instead of using some cryptic and hard to understand terms?

However, I meanwhile call 'razor edit' 'Kettensägen-Bearbeitung' internally, which is something like 'chainsaw edit' and I like it.
Also, for automation items I find 'rollercoaster' quite compelling. The ruler might be called 'slipstick' and the arrange view 'scythe anvil', where all the bananas can be moved by selecting them with the curtain or scattered with a needle, while maintaining a 45° split angle, of course.

So why not call apples pears or strawberries or both from now on?
This would allow us to call bricks apples, but would it be correct to call bricks strawberries then, if we're talking of pears?
Just weird names, so what? You just have to get used to it.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 12-03-2020 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:48 AM   #73
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Re: the stash and the download counters stalling -- there's some (ancient ancient!) anti-flood code which was being triggered in there, oops. I've tweaked it so the counters should be moving again (hopefully it doesn't break anything).
Hi Justin!

The counter started working again!

Thanks a lot!!
Old 12-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #74
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Hello Justin!

Please! It is a bug or there is a reason why the Category Language Packs page does not accept Links.

Kind regards,