Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
frybyte
Human being with feelings

Default how to get that vocal timbre of Lost chord?

Hello- still trying to wrap everything I do into what Reaper can do (which is more than I can grasp0
Situation; I am a high tenor, I have been using a ribbon mic into a presonus pre-amp into a Soundcraft desk into PC reaper.
For the end of a song we are working on we thought to try to get that echo-y deep nearly a voice-over thing the Moody Blues do on In Search of the Lost Chord.
Given that I am not a low voiced person and yes I do have software that could transpose the vocal down (but not interestingly) wondering what if anything is possible to try in Reaper.

If you have ideas, please be extremely explicit about where to find what you suggest as I feel that even after I find something finding it again often proves difficult for me.
thanks
Jay
frybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Philbo King

The main thing is layering harmony background vocals, 2 or 3 versions of each harmony part. As an example, this tune of mine has 10 different vocal tracks, each recorded separately, covering 4 or 5 different notes all going 'ahhhh' in the first 2 verses:
https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13690036

For low parts, the best is a low singer. But you can fake it with ReaPitch to some extent. You have to experiment with all the ReaPitch controls for best results. Not something easily described in text...

Last edited by Philbo King; 06-07-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
HiSPL

Before you start going crazy with plug ins and what-not. Grab an SM58 and put your lips right up on it and start talking.

That proximity effect is hard to replicate with eq/comp/tricks. That very close-mic'd sound also gives the vocal a sense of "being very close" to the listener. Like someone whispering in your ear.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:26 AM   #4
martifingers

This may be well off target but if those ideas don't work, I can think of a more complicated and "cheaty" way to try for the effect.

Basically use your own voice to trigger MIDI. As usual Kenny has it nailed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z81YGws4d0

(Same idea is covered here too -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8D2jEhbN7Y
He is using a guitar but the principle is the same.)

Your task would be to find suitable low pitched vocal samples and to load them in a sampler. I am sure there are plenty of oohs and ahs out there but if you need specific lyrics, maybe your own voice combined with a low harmony part?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:24 AM   #5
frybyte

Default thanks for the hints

Thank you for ideas I did end up with using delay (small) and proximity on a ribbon mic and we ended up satisfied (which is as good as we ever get).
I will keep these ideas in mind (though the midi idea is beyond my capabilities), did in fact try the multiple lines of harmony before writing and it just wasn't what we were looking for this time,

but again thank you all.
Jay
frybyte is offline   Reply With Quote