Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
BenjyO
Human being with feelings

Default Computer not receiving OSC messages - help needed

I started having major issues with OSC in the last few days and I'd need some help with ideas on how to solve it.

I use TouchOSC to control Reaper and I had no problems until yesterday I believe. All of a sudden any messages sent from TouchOSC from my iPad or iPhone don't reach the computer anymore. Reaper's "Listen..." option in "Control Surface Settings" didn't pick up any messages either.

I'm on a PC running Windows 10.

I checked if the IP addresses and ports were configured correctly in both devices and in Reaper several times and they were.

I tested with "Protokol" (Hexler's OSC and MIDI messages monitoring app) and there I noticed that no messages were coming in from my devices. That's when I started to suspect my firewall (which was definitely configured correctly when I started using TouchOSC a year ago). I checked it and nothing was changed from the time I configured it.

I tried changing the outgoing and incoming ports but that didn't work. I tried changing the layout used (in the TouchOSC app) a few times and in 2 occasions Protokol picked up a few messages for a few seconds but then it stopped working again - weird.

I then tried disabling the firewall but that didn't help either. That's when I started suspecting my wireless router might be blocking the ports but I found nothing in its settings that would indicate that. Mind you I'm no network expert and I don't understand most of the functions in the router's settings so there's a high chance I might've missed something.

I also tried disconnecting from the wi-fi network both on my computer and on the devices. That didn't help. Neither did a computer reboot nor the wireless router reboot.

After an hour or more of troubleshooting I tried again in Reaper and all of a sudden it started working for a few minutes. Unfortunately now it doesn't work anymore. I'm frustrated and I'm out of ideas.

Based on my findings above I think it's either something on my devices (iPad and iPhone) or something on my wireless network is malfunctioning. However I don't really see how both of my devices would start causing problems simultaneously (they aren't even on same firmware versions and weren't updated for quite some time) so that leads me to believe it's the network.

I don't really know where to look and what to look for at this point. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could continue with troubleshooting this issue?

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
BenjyO

Update:

Forgot to add in the initial post that my devices do receive Reaper's OSC messages.

I started working on a project half an hour ago and I opened TouchOSC just to see how it would respond. It responded to messages from Reaper but Reaper didn't respond to any of its messages. I decided to keep the app open and work on the project without it. After 15 minutes I tried pressing a button or two in TouchOSC and suddently it worked again. Now it works (the project is still open) but I suspect the same thing will happen again later on.

Weird ...
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Man, it's been a long hard road with OSC...I'm finally almost done tweaking my setup and then I will ofc share it and all the tips I can muster...

The main thing I noticed making working setups shit out unexpectedly is dynamic IP. If you look at your wifi settings (advanced), make sure it's set to static IP, for dynamic IP is subject to change at any time.

Second thing is to go through your config file and make sure no data is being sent pointlessly. If you don't need the data and/or don't know how to use it correctly, delete it! Anything after the CAPITALIZED, default entries there should go if it's not actually working or being used.

Lastly, there is apparently bug in TouchOSC that I stupidly have never reported (probably because I can't reproduce it)...sometimes for no apparent reason, wrong text will get entered into the label names for the OSC pages in your template (in Touch OSC editor). If these don't exactly match the ones in your OSC config, they won't reach their destination.

So first thing I check now if something goes wrong with TouchOSC, is the label names!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-04-2021 at 04:48 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote