Old 02-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
fbeauvaisc
Human being with feelings

Default Softube Console 1 Automations

Hi,

First off, I'm sorry to double this thread that started in the General Discussion, I did not realize there was this subforum. So here we go :

Using my Console 1, when in "Write" mode, Reaper only reacts to volume and pan in the automation lane because they are native parameters.

The only way to have Reaper write automations with it's other parameters like it's compressor, eq, input gain etc... the plugin FX GUI needs to be in focus. And I'm not talking about the external standalone Console 1 GUI but the inserted FX GUI that we Console 1 users never use.

Is it a Reaper issue or a Console 1 issue? Who needs to work to make this 100% compatible? Why does the FX GUI needs to be in focus for Reaper to react and write automations with Console 1?

In Cubase, all the parameters will trigger an automation lane write when in write mode so why can't Reaper do it?

It is a known fact at Softube, it's even on their website but I really wish this is only temporary and that the Console 1 will be 100% integrated with Reaper soon as it is with Cubase.
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:24 AM   #2
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeauvaisc View Post
Hi,

First off, I'm sorry to double this thread that started in the General Discussion, I did not realize there was this subforum. So here we go :

Using my Console 1, when in "Write" mode, Reaper only reacts to volume and pan in the automation lane because they are native parameters.

The only way to have Reaper write automations with it's other parameters like it's compressor, eq, input gain etc... the plugin FX GUI needs to be in focus. And I'm not talking about the external standalone Console 1 GUI but the inserted FX GUI that we Console 1 users never use.

Is it a Reaper issue or a Console 1 issue? Who needs to work to make this 100% compatible? Why does the FX GUI needs to be in focus for Reaper to react and write automations with Console 1?

In Cubase, all the parameters will trigger an automation lane write when in write mode so why can't Reaper do it?

It is a known fact at Softube, it's even on their website but I really wish this is only temporary and that the Console 1 will be 100% integrated with Reaper soon as it is with Cubase.
CSI (see this sub-forum for appropriate threads) does support writing FX automation with the Console 1.

I am the coder for CSI and have a Console 1, but do not run the Console 1 software, I just use it as a midi controller, much prefer that approach

Here is a short video showing the basics of CSI -- no automation shown, but you will get the general flavour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqW...ature=youtu.be
Geoff Waddington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
CSI (see this sub-forum for appropriate threads) does support writing FX automation with the Console 1.

I am the coder for CSI and have a Console 1, but do not run the Console 1 software, I just use it as a midi controller, much prefer that approach

Here is a short video showing the basics of CSI -- no automation shown, but you will get the general flavour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqW...ature=youtu.be
Thanks,

I really love the Console 1 channel strip and workflow. I think it sounds great. I even have a dedicated 15inch monitor for it's main display so it's always displaying the selected track's channel strip.

Can I use it in tandem with CSI? I really love the workflow of having a channel strip on all tracks with dedicated knobs. I would not want to go back. I still use a bunch of plugins. Mainly Soundtoys but I treat them as post-console effects.

I'd love to here how your approach is better though. Not closed to the idea.

So how is it better and why?

Thanks again,
Old 02-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #4
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Thanks,

I really love the Console 1 channel strip and workflow. I think it sounds great. I even have a dedicated 15inch monitor for it's main display so it's always displaying the selected track's channel strip.

Can I use it in tandem with CSI? I really love the workflow of having a channel strip on all tracks with dedicated knobs. I would not want to go back. I still use a bunch of plugins. Mainly Soundtoys but I treat them as post-console effects.

I'd love to here how your approach is better though. Not closed to the idea.

So how is it better and why?

Thanks again,
Unfortunately once you load the Console 1 software it stops sending/receiving midi, so you cannot use both simultaneously, although you can use other Softube plugins, like the Tube-Tech compressor, etc.

I also love the channel strip workflow.

With CSI, as you can see in the video, you can map any FX present on a given track to the Console 1.

To me that's even better, since you are not restricted to Console 1 choices of what a strip should be.

For instance, a vocal track strip might have a Harrison EQ and an LA2A compressor mapped to the Console 1, while a drum track might have a Pultec and a Fairchild mapped, the possibilities are only limited by the plugins you have.

And of course you can use any other channel strips and map those to the Console1, just not the Softube ones.
Geoff Waddington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Unfortunately once you load the Console 1 software it stops sending/receiving midi, so you cannot use both simultaneously, although you can use other Softube plugins, like the Tube-Tech compressor, etc.

I also love the channel strip workflow.

With CSI, as you can see in the video, you can map any FX present on a given track to the Console 1.

To me that's even better, since you are not restricted to Console 1 choices of what a strip should be.

For instance, a vocal track strip might have a Harrison EQ and an LA2A compressor, while a drum track might have a Pultec and a Fairchild, the possibilities are only limited by the plugins you have.

And of course you can use any other channel strips and map those to the Console1, just not the Softube ones.
Yes I watched your video and I can see the benefit in that. I just would not want to spend hours mapping everything. And I've already invested quite a bite in different Softube effects so I already have a lot of choices in their lineup.

Also, I'm a full time composer for video games. So compared to a mixing engineer, my workflow is more geared toward simplicity and efficiency to let the ideas flow rather than mixing with very specific plugins sound.

Although I do chose different compressors and EQ for different tasks, the Softube plugins provide enough variety for my creativity. I work with a very good mixing engineer that uses the Acustica plugins and does all that fine picking of every little details with the knowledge that I don't have anyway.

All that being said, I'll definitely look up CSI for other controllers. I'll let the Console 1 do it's thing.

On another subject, I own 4 TC Electronic plugins with their dedicated controllers. The 2290, the 8210, the 1210 and DVR 250. They all work great but for one thing, they dont follow track selection like the Console 1 does. Maybe there would be a way to fix this using CSI and remap them.

Are you familiar with this FX series?

Last edited by fbeauvaisc; 02-26-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:40 AM   #6
ramses

Quote:

I'm not sure. Perhaps keep sending tickets to Softube until they respond, although their customer service is not exactly premium, even though their plugins and prices are. I believe Cockos tries to fix most issues like this, as long as plugin developers are willing to cooperate to do so.

Just as a heads up, it is possible to re-map existing Softube Console 1 channel strips using CSI. You could then make the FX GUI pop up on channel selection, and still use C1 channel strips, only without the Softube graphical overlay. I own quite a few C1 channel strips myself, so if you tell me what strips and combos you like to access, perhaps I could look into making a CSI setup for C1 users if and when I have the time.

>> EDIT << The CSI experience will not be EXACTLY the same as with the proprietary software, some things are locked away, like the SHIFT button does not work, for example >> End EDIT <<

Last edited by ramses; 02-27-2021 at 04:08 AM.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:44 AM   #7
ramses

Quote:
On another subject, I own 4 TC Electronic plugins with their dedicated controllers. The 2290, the 8210, the 1210 and DVR 250. They all work great but for one thing, they dont follow track selection like the Console 1 does. Maybe there would be a way to fix this using CSI and remap them.
Sure, I believe they all send and recieve raw MIDI data, so that would work.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #8
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Thanks, I will look it up for the TC Controllers. It looks pretty powerful. I dont want to change my Console 1 workflow for now. I like the display and the fact that its a constent in my setup.

I've dedicated a 15 inch monitor to it so it's always on with the same layout even if I'm on different effects within the ecosystem. To me, it's it's strong point.

Maybe I can find a way to have the plugin GUI pop up and focus when I hit my "write" shortcut so I can write automations without adding an additional maneuver.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:03 AM   #9
fbeauvaisc

So maybe I can find a way to modify the script that floats FX slot 1 for it to float Console 1 specifically.

Usually Console 1 is in slot 1 anyway but not 100% of the time. I could then add that action to my write "Write mode" action shortcut.

That would be a start.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:19 AM   #10
ramses

Quote:
Maybe I can find a way to have the plugin GUI pop up and focus when I hit my "write" shortcut so I can write automations without adding an additional maneuver.
Good idea! This should be possible using the SWS extension together with a custom action. In order for this to work, you have to keep the Softube *.vst3 locked in a certain fx-slot, probably the first one.

Custom action will look something like this:
1. (SWS extensions) float fx 1 on selected track.
2. Write.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:20 AM   #11
ramses

Quote:
So maybe I can find a way to modify the script that floats FX slot 1 for it to float Console 1 specifically.

Usually Console 1 is in slot 1 anyway but not 100% of the time. I could then add that action to my write "Write mode" action shortcut.

That would be a start.
Hm. Perhaps there's a way to float fx by name, but I'm not sure...
Old 02-27-2021, 06:22 AM   #12
ramses

Oh, there are some lua-scripts in this thread I believe, for floating fx by name:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=217593
Old 02-27-2021, 06:30 AM   #13
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Oh, there are some lua-scripts in this thread I believe, for floating fx by name:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=217593
Great! Looks like I can find what I need there.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
Win Conway

Quote:
They are USB HUI no ?