Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
RWE
Human being with feelings

Default Can I use the Win(7) Line Input for Audio recording?

Do I NEED an external 'Audio Interface' to record analog audio in Reaper? Can I not use the 'internal' ADC with the standard Line Input as the source?

TIA

- Ron
RWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
jrk

No you don't. Yes you can.

The quality might not be up to much. Or it might be fine.

Last edited by jrk; 02-16-2021 at 11:59 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Time Waster

One thing you may need to consider is latency. If you want to do multi-tracking, you may need to install a low latency driver such as ASIO4ALL, if you haven't already done so.

The quality of most internal sound cards is usually at least CD quality (44.1kHz, 16 bit).
Old 02-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
ivansc

...and of course it depends a lot on what you want to record and how.

If you plug a guitar/bass/etc (via a 3.5mm jack adapter) you will not get good results as the mic/line input on your computer is not set up to accept high impedance signals like guitars & basses. Even my fancy audio/MIDI inteface is the same & I had to spend another 20 UK pounds on a direct inject box to get decent recordings of electric instruments.
If you "just" want to record singing, you are faced with either the internal mic on the computer, the quality of which will be OK for spoken word but dire for singing.
Otherwise, you will be looking at either buying a USB mic, which to be honest will severely limit your options when it comes to recording anything else at the same time, or dynamic mic (ideally at least like a Shure SM58) and once again an adapter from XLR to 3.5mm.

Frankly once you decide what you want to do, it would be a better bet to spend a little money on a decent basic recording interface, typically like the focusrite with a single input or a dual input. The latter would at least let you record both your vocals and your electric ukelele at the same time!

It would pay you to check out the free user guide and if you are into visual stuff, the excellent free video tutorials, all available at reaper.fm

Have fun!

P.S. Oops! I forgot to welcome you to the forums!!
Old 02-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
it would be a better bet to spend a little money on a decent basic recording interface, typically like the focusrite with a single input or a dual input. The latter would at least let you record both your vocals and your electric ukelele at the same time!
This ^^^^^
If you think recording in the box is something you want to do and want a product that has any resemblance of quality, your recordings and sanity will benefit greatly from the investment of a bit of cash.
I started with just plugging in to the mini jack at back of computer
It will work to an extent. As mentioned by others, D.I box at that very least but an entry level interface is really the starting point in my opinion. You could likely find something used on Craigslist or some other similar website.
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote