Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
jguitarguy27
Human being with feelings

Default ReaStream over work VPN?

Hey everyone,

Trying to get ReaStream going over my company's VPN since we're WFH. We used to use it in the office no problem.

1) I have an identifer set ("stream-test").
2) For the field next to Send audio/MIDI; IP:, I have that as "* broadcast".
3) Another individual on the same VPN has the ReaStream plugin on a track, has the "Receive audio/MIDI" selected, and has ("stream-test") in the identifier field.

This configuration is not working. I'm wondering if that send audio field requires my IP address or something for this to work? Any ideas?
jguitarguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
jrk
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguitarguy27 View Post
I'm wondering if that send audio field requires my IP address or something for this to work? Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure it's possible to get UDP (which ReaStream uses, I think?) to tunnel over a vpn, but that may need some configuration. Or it may "Just Work". In general, don't assume that UDP broadcast will make it past any router. Although it may be possible to configure bridging - If you have control over all the intermediate routers.

You're probably better off using explicit IP addresses. But this may need someone to set up port forwarding?

Try ping or tracert to the target IP from the source machine. This will tell you if there's a route, it won't guarantee that UDP will go over it. Or that the port is open / forwarded.

Better yet, ask your companys IT people