Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #41
richie43
Human being with feelings

I prefer the Klanghelm over the PSP meters, that's all I meant. Your meters look good, but it would be an unnecessary inconvenience for people who don't want Nebula, that's what I meant about expensive and elite. yes, free Neb will work, but a simple vst would be so much more attractive to many people, in my opinion. And since some good ones already exist (including the free Sleepytime meters, they are good too), you'd have to offer something more that isn't there yet to attract people to the idea of loading a Nebula instance just for meters....And they would have to work right in a track..... They LOOK good though.....
Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #42
babiuk

Hello, Richie, thanks for being here, nebulahood, hehe...

Well I use 99.99999999% klanghelm of course but as I told before this is a freak project For my satisfaction, trying to customize reaper like a REDD51 desk so the meters should fit into this style.

I do appreciate the big efforts you did with this neb approach, hopi, and we have now the best(at least for me)VU for neb skins.

It's all about needles and skin, hehehe...

Anyway I would like some vst coder to lend a hand here cos the result could be so useful for a lot of us, a multimeter VU like the meters at the tape machines. Sonething like ReapVU but more customizable
babiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:40 AM   #43
babiuk

Indeed days ago I contacted Klanghelm for requesting a custom vst like this, i think it would be a top one vst like his VU meter, I am looking forward to know his reply.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #44
hopi

"Even a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single trip"

Hey, I know this might get a bit over the top as a silly esoteric discussion, but ...so what..

Well now we have gone beyond and could talk more about the existing vst meters, what we like and don't like about each and then what might be desired for a new one.

klanghelm is clearly the most tweakable and I really like that it can show a 'hold' line... afaik, it is the only one that offers this.
Sleepytime is also really great to IMHO and also offers some nice tweakness.

That said, and now considering ONLY how it ends up looking onscreen, I offer a little trick: If you set the plugin to run as Separate Process [and not embeded bridged] you get a smaller window that can be sized from the bottom, so you can get pretty much ONLY the meters visible... in the case of SleepyTime this works almost perfectly, in the case of Klanghelm, not so much as there is still a lot of extra borders that you can't get rid of.

IMHO, I like the functioning of Klanghelm better but like the look of Sleepy better...

But really I like the 'vintage look' of the ones I made from the image the OP posted better than any of them.

Further... they all behave the same... that is on a track or sent to via an aux gives different looking results. Using the aux buss is for me the way to go... but I really don't understand why that is... I would expect it to not matter but clearly it does.

Now since I have sympathy with the OP for how stuff looks, here is what I'd like to see in a vst version:

1- I'd like to see the look of his vintage meter. [as you can tell I have taken that an worked with it OK and would be more than happy to lend a hand to any vst developer in the graphics area]

2- what we see on screen should be ONLY the meter [s]... all the controls and settings should be on a separate page!

3-back to the 'look' for second: In what I've done, there is a nice shadow on the needle. It is more visible in the larger version but it IS there in the smaller as well. IMO this really adds to the 'vintage' look and 'realism'...

4- what would really be slick would be to have not only a single vst meter, but also a meter bridge view showing say 8 or 10 or so meters, and being able to send to each one using reaper's sends and pins. Now I don't even know if that is possible but it would be way kewl, eh?

Now to the OP, I might suggest contacting Sleep Time guys as well as Maestro Klanghelm.

end of my thoughts for now...
Old 05-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #45
babiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
"
1- I'd like to see the look of his vintage meter. [as you can tell I have taken that an worked with it OK and would be more than happy to lend a hand to any vst developer in the graphics area]

2- what we see on screen should be ONLY the meter [s]... all the controls and settings should be on a separate page!

3-back to the 'look' for second: In what I've done, there is a nice shadow on the needle. It is more visible in the larger version but it IS there in the smaller as well. IMO this really adds to the 'vintage' look and 'realism'...

4- what would really be slick would be to have not only a single vst meter, but also a meter bridge view showing say 8 or 10 or so meters, and being able to send to each one using reaper's sends and pins. Now I don't even know if that is possible but it would be way kewl, eh?

Now to the OP, I might suggest contacting Sleep Time guys as well as Maestro Klanghelm."
I agree 100% this. Itīs so important the feture of being able to show a number of meters because it would became a real bridge meter (I see this would be sooo useful for a lot of us not just me, like the meters on tape machines).

I agree too that it would be ok if we could do a "Frankenstein" from Klanghelm behaviour(the best for me) and the hopi work based in original GUI I gave (Well, the Sleepy minimal graphics is a must too, not having anything but the maters graphics and letting the settings for a second panel).

But I would add a third idea to be in mind which is the ReapVU meter plugin by NAS. It is exactly what we are talking about, itīs a plugin so minimal with a lot of meters. It would be perfect if we could contact NAS in order to asking him for adding our "goal" graphics and letting free(to the user's choice) the number of shown meters, because it shows 24 meters always.
I tried to contact him but no reply, it seems he is out of reaper town...

Do you keep contact with him?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #46
hopi

I must not understand how to use that one by NAS

How do you get, say trak 1 to show only on the first meter and then track 2 on the next meter, etc?
As to ideas, yes, a meter bridge with up to some number would be nice and then a setting that would let the user select how many to show. And that could be saved as a preset, eh?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #47
babiuk

Yes, I think so. Our goal is just showing ehat you want.

The NAS one shows always all meters, but if you resize window you still can hide the non wanted.

Anyway I use NAS on a buss track of 8(you choose up to 24)channels receiving every track to meter into one of the 8 channels. Then the meter show that one.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #48
Aeolian

Having it as a plugin is cumbersome IMHO ... you want it as the native meter.

something like this:

right click and save it as "meter_strip_h.png", this WALTER should set it:

Code:
set tcp.meter [16 25 114 55 0 0 0 0]

I did a bare "studer" style tcp, with the VU meter, here:

Needs a ton of work ... but its a start

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1380/tcp_vintage.zip

The WALTER for it is in a txt file, in the zip.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #49
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Having it as a plugin is cumbersome IMHO ... you want it as the native meter.

something like this:

right click and save it as "meter_strip_h.png", this WALTER should set it:

Code:
set tcp.meter [16 25 114 55 0 0 0 0]

I did a bare "studer" style tcp, with the VU meter, here:

Needs a ton of work ... but its a start

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1380/tcp_vintage.zip

The WALTER for it is in a txt file, in the zip.
Cool.
I'm a smart guy (at least I think I is...), but have no experience with Walter. Where does one put that walter code so Reaper reads it?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #50
Mink99

@aeolian

That was the easy part. I was at that level too (although you graphics is far more impressive than mine) . But then I was not able to create the needle from the strip image.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #51
babiuk

Hi Richie, I'm newbie on this too but I maybe have spent a little more time so I will try to explain you.

Go to "Color Themes" folder (you can click on Options/Show Reaper resource path... and the folder appears)
You will see the themes files in one or other format but donīt worry, the important format is .ReaperThemeZip. So open the file "Default_4.0.ReaperThemeZip" with Winrar or similar.
You will see some folders and a lot of png files and one txt called "rtconfig.txt". This is where WALTER lives. Look in the text for the tcp section. You will see loops beginning with :

Layout "NAME OF LAYOUT"

and ending with:

Endlayout

So copy the code from the txt in the zip and paste it everywhere in between these layouts for tcp (I imagine there is no problem about the place if you are inside tcp section) and save the rtconfig.txt file.

Now, in the rar file create a folder called "tcp_vintage" and paste inside the png's from the zip file, and save rar file.

Then in Reaper go to Options/Themes and select Default (it will select default 4, maybe you were using it yet but this way you reload it anyway which is needed). Now you have the changes updated but you will not see anything new in the Tracks panel. This is because the skin for you Track panel is the default one. You have to right click over a track control channel(I mean over a track from the vertical list) and go to: "set track layouts/Track Panel/Vintage VU meters".

I hope this helps you. I know it is not the best explanation but weeks ago I would have thanked a dumb explanation like this.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #52
richie43

Thanks babiuk! I'll let you know if i am successful.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #53
babiuk

Aeolian,

thanks for sharing this, nice idea. I am happy we are all trying to get a needle VU for reaper, I hope this can go steps beyond and we get a stack png option for meters in the same way we have for the knobs
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #54
Mink99

Completely agree
Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #55
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Thanks babiuk! I'll let you know if i am successful.
I is definitely not as smart as I did thunk....
I did exactly as babiuk said, and when I rezipped the theme file (as a .ReaperThemeZIp, of course), it was only 300kb's (as opposed to the 5mb original) and did not work. Maybe I should stick to using existing themes..... Help.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #56
babiuk

Oh, itīs maybe I didnīt explain the matter well.

I use winrar and I open the Default_4.0.ReaperThemeZip file with it, I mean "Open" not "extract", so I am working all the time with the file open in winrar. Everytime I do some changes (-Change and save the rtconfig.txt- or -drop any png inside rar window- or -create a folder inside rar window-) I am working with the file open in winrar. If I drop a png winrar itself ask me about saving changes and it keeps open.

Maybe this can be the problem?

I am telling this because you told "when I rezipped the theme file" so it leads me to think about it.

And remember to reload the theme to see changes.
Please ask whatever you need, feel free to do it, because it is possible to get it and it is maybe some silly thing stopping you.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #57
richie43

That was the problem, I had extracted it. Thanks for the intro to Walter! Now I am ready to make a theme...ok, not quite, but I had success! Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #58
babiuk

I got reply from Klangelm, sadly he won't be able to develop this meter now he is very busy.

Anyway he advices me to "customize the JS VU meters in Reaper by LiteOn with a suitable background image". So anybody knows how to do it?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #59
d.bop

I do all of the Sleepy-Time plugins. I have a few other (non-DSP related) projects going on right now, but I can try to work on something this weekend if you'd like
Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #60
hopi

d.bop oh great... so you are the Sleepy Time guy... beautiful work!!!

so hey, I'll pm you with an addy for me.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #61
planetnine

Nice one D-Bop, I'll be watching with interest to see what you come up with

>
Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #62
babiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
I do all of the Sleepy-Time plugins. I have a few other (non-DSP related) projects going on right now, but I can try to work on something this weekend if you'd like
Hey! Thanks a lot!

You are so kind for helping, d.bop. Itīs a honour for us having you lending a hand.

Well, Iīll PM you for explaining it.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #63
babiuk

Here you have a bad pic of bridge I'm after

Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #64
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
@aeolian

That was the easy part. I was at that level too (although you graphics is far more impressive than mine) . But then I was not able to create the needle from the strip image.
Defintely ... I tried absolutely everything to get that needle on there ...

Even if we somehow hacked a proper moving needle onto the meter, then the last hurdle would be getting the master meter to go horizontal, and WT has already posted that it's impossible ATM.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #65
hopi

so here is what I'm seeing so far:

It seems likely that d.bop will help and make something with the 'look' that is desired.

Now so far, from other discussions lately, it also appears that to use it and get it to read the signal properly, it will have to live on another track as an aux and be sent the signal from whatever you want to read.... at least IF you want to see the output of that track meters show the same as the TCP or MCP meter.

Apparently no way around that bothersome fact at this time.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #66
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Defintely ... I tried absolutely everything to get that needle on there ...

Even if we somehow hacked a proper moving needle onto the meter, then the last hurdle would be getting the master meter to go horizontal, and WT has already posted that it's impossible ATM.
a noble effort indeed, but sadly it just can't be done ...at least not yet. Too bad, cuz it could be kind of fun to make and see them.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #67
d.bop

Had a little free time tonight and came up with this.

What do you think so far? Number of meters on the bridge will be determined by the number of inputs on the track.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #68
hopi

hi d.bop... wow so you will go for the bridge? wonderful!

Am I correct in that the arc for the needle in this one is really a section of a true circle? I ask cuz in others it seems to be a section of an oval... and I assume programming the needle rotation on a true circle is an easier way to go???

Now personally I'd think it is too large... when I consider having many instances on screen at once... but just my opinion.

Also ...do I assume the graphic is a png file and only the needle is programmed to rotate? Or are there a series of needle png's?

I am asking this with the thought of possibly sending you the meter face graphic to get it to be more 'vintage' looking...

Basically however it does look like it's the right direction!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #69
d.bop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
hi d.bop... wow so you will go for the bridge? wonderful!

Am I correct in that the arc for the needle in this one is really a section of a true circle? I ask cuz in others it seems to be a section of an oval... and I assume programming the needle rotation on a true circle is an easier way to go???

Now personally I'd think it is too large... when I consider having many instances on screen at once... but just my opinion.

Also ...do I assume the graphic is a png file and only the needle is programmed to rotate? Or are there a series of needle png's?

I am asking this with the thought of possibly sending you the meter face graphic to get it to be more 'vintage' looking...

Basically however it does look like it's the right direction!
Yep this one is circular. babiuk wanted something based on the REDD.51 so I'm going off of the picture he posted. I can definitely make it smaller. This is a quick rough draft

There will be 4 images/layers overall. The background layer containing the main background and VU background combined, the needle, the VU cover, and the clip led. The needle will rotate based on the filtered audio level and the clip light will turn bright red when the peak level passes 0dBFS.

And yes, email me your graphic.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #70
hopi

I just did and let me add I am at your service to alter it as you wish.

you are a hero to me!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #71
babiuk

wow, thanks! It seems it is going to be fine.

Anyway in order to keep the redd51 look I was after, would it be possible to use the image I post originally(and the needle with little heart shape in the middle)? I mean the image file instead creating a new image.
I think that we could replace the text on the white background from the image and write credits for d.box/hopi or whatever you want. I also would add the red clip point but without "clip" word and let the ref data hidden or in other "menu" page so itīs just the meter.

Well anyway I thank you a lot for helping on this, the meter bridge will be great. For me itīs good 4 but I think itīs maybe better if you could select the number of them for every project.

@d.bop
Do you want a good scan of the bridge meter image I posted?

About size, for me it would be nice just a little smaller but not too much thinking I need 4 so 75%(?) of the size you posted itīs nice for me. Or I dont know if it 's possible to do it allowing user to select size, something like small/big?

Last edited by babiuk; 05-06-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #72
hopi

bab... I have sent d.bop a couple versions of the original that I took and cleaned up... I'll put one up here in a min... but I gave him a nice hi rez version that is hopefully preped to suit his needs and your wishes as well.

[IMG]http://imagizer.**************/v2/320x240q90/842/uh4b.png[/IMG]

Now I did extend the bottom black a bit so that things like the clip LED or other info can go there... also little high lites on the four corners. The shape is sharp corners on the outside so that would give the vst GUI a clean look without having not used empty space around it... see?

I thought d.bop's needle was pretty good... and I have two comments about needles in general.
First, IMHO the whole size of the meter should be smaller than your originally posted graphic. Not too small, not too big... especially if you consider having many of them on screen at the same time, eh?
Now given that, I have found that needles with the little blob or heart or oval at the top, can reach a point where they don't look good... which is simply cuz we run out of enough pixels to give a clear illusion of the curves. I could illustrate this further if you don't understand what I'm saying.

So there may have to be some sort of compromise on that part... at the same time, I personally like the needle that tapers to a point at the top.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #73
4x4uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
Had a little free time tonight and came up with this.

What do you think so far? Number of meters on the bridge will be determined by the number of inputs on the track.

i really like the meter bridge idea this sounds very promising
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #74
hopi

[IMG]http://imagizer.**************/v2/320x240q90/842/ldc5.png[/IMG]

OK then... following along did some more work, the above is a sized version.

I have much larger as a photoshop file, from which I can save out all the parts:

1- the meter face png
2- the needle png
3- the black cover png
4- clip red on led
5- clip gray off led

If you want we can then talk about an needed text overlays, such as R and L or maybe CH 1, CH 2, etc.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #75
Mink99

Looks impressive....

And now we need a Vst with 24 stereo or 48 mono inputs, where each input is visualised by a vu meter.
Then we need a macro that will create an audio processing track (metering track) with those 24 or 48 channels, insert the vst into it, and route the first 24 audio processing tracks additionally to the metering track.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #76
babiuk

Guys, you are gods!

Hehe, I really appreciate your efforts, thanks a million.

I find this is going superb. I understand all you say about sizes and not grey background, hopi, and it is a enhacement for all of us. Anyway for my personal redd51 goal I would like to have an "alter" version a little bigger(as I told, about 75% of first image d.bop posted which I think is his monochannel plugin size, isn't it?) and including a little grey background over black frame is placed so ehen I use 4 meters the bridge looks like the real gear style. Do you think is possible, d.bop?

I am going to attach here in a new post a very grotesque sketch(i'm at work now without pc) showing the desired 4 meters bridge i am talking about, it is like I originally was looking for. I added the exact grey tone RGB for matching to the theme I am working.

Again thanks for being so polite and do this wonder work

EDIT: hopi, nice red clip placement without text! Anyway how do you think guys putting the red clip in the middle? I mean in the black bubble where the needle begins?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #77
babiuk

Well here you have the ugly sketch, excuses for my bad skills.
I am adding an "analog" touch to the thread, hehe

BTW, what about add the channel name or L or R things into the white background?
We could delete all text existing there and using that white for putting there(with a same style typo of course) this channels info and credits to you who are working and spending your time in this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.6 KB, 638 views)

Last edited by babiuk; 05-07-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #78
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Looks impressive....

And now we need a Vst with 24 stereo or 48 mono inputs, where each input is visualised by a vu meter.
Then we need a macro that will create an audio processing track (metering track) with those 24 or 48 channels, insert the vst into it, and route the first 24 audio processing tracks additionally to the metering track.

Did a simple POC in synthedit. Works ...If we can get the vu-meters working as a synthedit module it will be 2 hrs to get it running. Still not integrated into the mcp, but as a separate meterbridge.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #79
hopi

[IMG]http://imagizer.**************/v2/xq90/835/pcak.png[/IMG]

75% size, L and R on each set, showing 8 sets [say for 8 tracks]

thoughts:

I think d.bop needs also a value setting as shown in his image like for [-18]

I would think we don't need the word CLIP... we all know what a CLIP LED is, eh?

Now you can see I've added some black at the bottom to make room for the clip LED being there, however I personally would rather see that extra black removed, making the bottom black the same size as the top and sides, and put the clip LET in the upper right corner of the white meter face. I did that in the Nebula skin that uses these images. for example:
[IMG]http://imagizer.**************/v2/xq90/841/gesy.png[/IMG]
Also not sure what is possible for d.bop but perhaps an Alt Clk on the LED area could call up a settings page???

Note... too bad reaper user Cal, never finished his REDD1 Theme... I may have parts of it here if some brilliant themer wants to take over. [hey Albert xxx ...hint?]

Last edited by hopi; 05-07-2014 at 10:44 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #80
4x4uk

brilliant work hopi. personally I agree with you put the clip led in the meter rather than adding the extra black space at the bottom. I also like the right click on the led to bring up the settings page. reall nice work
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote