Old 04-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
babiuk
Human being with feelings

Default Vintage VU meter request

I am trying to get a vintage style VU meter. I use Klanghelm and it is 100% ok, but I'm into an aesthethical project customising reaper and I would like to use a new VU meter for 4 channels, I mean something like the NAS ReapVU(just 4 channels in this case) but using an specific image:

Here you have the ReapVU, for remembering:

I donīt know how to do it, is there anybody who could help me to do it? Or at least give me a little info in order to begin to do it?

Thanks
babiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
babiuk

Any cue on this?

I am thinking about the possibility of learning to open and edit a vumeter dll and adding a new GUI, is it possible?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
hopi

the only thing I can tell you is that it would be possible to take that graphic you have and with some skill in Photoshop, to create a set of png files that appeared to make the needle move..
It's quite a bit of work, ...I have done this for some skins [GUI] meter for Nebula 3.

Even if you do this, there is the question of needle calibration.
In other words, you can only have a given number of needle images.. say 36 or 50 ..whatever.. and then you need a way to assign each of those to some db value... you see?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
babiuk

OK, thanks a lot!
So it is a matter of brute force attack.
This is not a problem, it's just a lot of work but it can be done.

Let's assume I have the images, so I should create a stack png like the knob stack png images? And how should I use it? Do the meters accept a knob behaviour like "...fadermode [1]"?

PS: I am a nebulite too but I didnīt know the VU meters for some skins were done this way... now I know it I respect even more and more the 3party developers
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Mink99

Walter providers only a rectangle for the meters which is displayed partially in height or width, depending on the value to be displayed. Images or image strips are not used there.
It is not possible (at least for me) to create a "digit" of constant length and changing angle from this shrinking and growing rectangle, even with transparency tricks, as a vu meter will stay constant in height.

One might think of a meter bar that is created independently of Walter and gets its feed trough the reaper API and would show all active channels.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
babiuk

Quote:
One might think of a meter bar that is created independently of Walter and gets its feed trough the reaper API and would show all active channels.
I donīt understand this.