Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #81
Liquidmantis
Human being with feelings

There's a paypal email address at the bottom of the readme file.

ajmayo AT kohuconsulting DOT com
Liquidmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #82
Susan G

Ah! Thanks! I didn't think to look there.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #83
Gajdzin

Default Reaper doesn't talk to BCR2000...

I followed Ajaym's instructions to the letter, I read this entire thread and everything he suggested to Susan, and still I can't get my BCR2000 to talk to Reaper (or vice versa)...

The template is sent to BCR2000 without errors, the lights on the BCR come up in a pattern that would suggest a specific setting of faders in my Reaper project file, except that those settings have nothing to do with what's on the screen and neither changing anything in Reaper (such as muting a channel or moving a fader) reflects on BCR, nor changing anything in BCR affects Reaper...

Help!

Thanks very much in advance,

Marcin Bruczkowski
www.marcin.bruczkowski.com
Gajdzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #84
Gajdzin

Default Continuing problems with Reaper and BCR2000

According to my learned IT friend's findings, the problem I described in the previous post may the be result of running Windows 7, 64-bit version...

Today I tried using BCR2000 with Reaper the old-fashioned way: by mapping Reaper faders and knobs to BCR2000 manually. It works, but only one way: BCR talks to Reaper, but not vice versa. I can twist a knob on BCR and it's reflected on the screen, but when I move that knob with a mouse on the screen, BCR doesn't get any data.

I start regretting I bought the BCR2000

Marcin Bruczkowski
Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #85
fab

then you need the mackie control emulation mode.

check this:

http://shoshin.110mb.com/genmce/bcr2...ts/presets.htm

put the mackie preset on the bcr2000 - and use klinke's mackie control implementation. you can later tweak the mackie emulation to use other functions that klinke has implemented but are not part of the standard mackie preset for the bcr.
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #86
Liquidmantis

As mentioned in the thread, at least two of us are on Win7x64 and have it working fine. Did you configure the MIDI output for the BCR2000 under the Control Surface settings?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #87
ajaym

Hi Marcin,

I suspect that the MIDI link back to the BCR isn't working for some reason, possibly to do with port assignments.

If they look ok, the first thing I would suggest is to remove the control surface from Reaper's config and then add the ports back, with control enabled, for normal Reaper use.

Then create a new project with a single track, with its MIDI in and out set to the BCR2000. Record arm the track and then start recording. Wiggle some knobs on the BCR

Then stop the recording. Are there MIDI events on the track?. Then the MIDI in is working. Now rewind and play the track. Do the BCR encoders now mimic the events i.e change as if you were turning them?. Then if so MIDI out is working.

Once you are sure all this works - and confirm, by the way, that the BCR is in MIDI mode U-01, assuming that you are using the USB interface. If you want to connect it using actual MIDI cables (to another MIDI interface) then it should be in mode U-03.

Anyway, can you tell us if this test works. That might help pin down the problem.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #88
nofish

Hi,

I wanted to say thanks for your plugin.

Just found this thread recently and as my BCR collected dust the last months, I gave this a try and I think it's really nice.

I did a small screencast to show other Reaper/BCR users how it looks like controlling plugins. Cool stuff.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1266445421

One question though:
I have noticed that if I move the encoder on the BCR really slow the channel fader in Reaper sort of "hangs" (doesn't move). If I move the encoder faster everything is fine. Is this normal behaviour ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #89
zenguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
One question though:
I have noticed that if I move the encoder on the BCR really slow the channel fader in Reaper sort of "hangs" (doesn't move). If I move the encoder faster everything is fine. Is this normal behaviour ?
Did you read through the thread? You might have the same problem some of us had... luckily there is a solution! Read post #70.
zenguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #90
Phobik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
I meant to post my system info since it's working great for me. As far as I can tell the only problem I had was user error.

Win7 Ult x64
Reaper 3.21 x86
BCR2000 firmware 1.10
BCR2000 driver 1.0.10 x64
Any reason for you running x64 OS and x86 Reaper?
Phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #91
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenguru View Post
Did you read through the thread? You might have the same problem some of us had... luckily there is a solution! Read post #70.
Erm...no I didn't.
Thanks for the info, will check.

edit:
Yeah, I did what is suggested in post #70 and it's perfectly working now.
Thanks again.

Last edited by nofish; 02-18-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #92
Liquidmantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobik View Post
Any reason for you running x64 OS and x86 Reaper?
I have to run x64 to use all of my RAM. But I'm using Reaper x86 for maximum VST compatibility and I don't do anything in Reaper that needs more memory space.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #93
Phobik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
I have to run x64 to use all of my RAM. But I'm using Reaper x86 for maximum VST compatibility and I don't do anything in Reaper that needs more memory space.
Ah I see, makes sense.
Phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #94
Gajdzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
Hi Marcin,Anyway, can you tell us if this test works. That might help pin down the problem.
Thanks, Ajaym!

I solved the problem, but in a different way: instead of using BCR2000 in USB mode, i switched it to MIDI mode and connected via MIDI cables to my Juli@ audio interface. Now it works like a dream!

Funny, because I did download the latest Behringer MIDI drivers for Windows 7 / 64... Still, it's OK, I don't mind using it via MIDI cables.

Thank you again! I'll be making a contribution to your PayPal.

Marcin Bruczkowski
Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #95
ajaym

Hi Marcin

I am very pleased to hear you have resolved the issue. It would appear that there's some issue with the Behringer USB drivers, perhaps, under x64. I have a 64 bit copy of Windows installed in a virtual machine on my system and will see if I can reproduce the problem you experienced. (Sun VirtualBox is a truly wonderful - and free - product, that lets you turn your computer into multiple, independent machines. It's tremendously handy for testing stuff).

Meanwhile, I have updated the Sourceforge project to add a file, important_note.txt, which explains the dead time issue and how to resolve it. Hopefully this will assist other who may experience the issue, which, it appears, is either triggered by third party software or possibly because some BCR2000s come from the factory with a different default dead time configured.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #96
lxm

So do the faders and Reaper talk back and forth now? Has that been figured out?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #97
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
So do the faders and Reaper talk back and forth now? Has that been figured out?
This has been possible for quite some time in Reaper when using control surface plugins like this one. Only we still don't have parameter feedback for generic learn.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #98
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
This has been possible for quite some time in Reaper when using control surface plugins like this one. Only we still don't have parameter feedback for generic learn.
The creator of this was saying he couldnt get it to work. Wondering if it does now........
Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #99
nofish

Quote:
The creator of this was saying he couldnt get it to work. Wondering if it does now........
Sorry for replying so late, but anyway...

Yes you're right, automation still doesn't update the encoders with this plugin. I'd very much like to see that, because for me this is the only thing missing for great functionailty.

So any news on this ?
Or any other devs that would join development (it's open source) ?

For consistency here's the dev's last statement on this

Quote:
Automation in Reaper doesn't seem to work quite as it does in Sonar and, experimenting with it, I am not quite sure how you get automation to actually replay the fader movements; every setting I've tried leaves the faders as they are. This means of course that the surface encoders do not move to reflect the automation envelopes. In Sonar, they do, by default, because the actual track faders reflect any applied automation.

You can certainly record automation envelopes from the surface OK but I can't seem to set Reaper up to replay the fader movements, even though the dialogue settings suggest that you can i.e that there is a read mode as well as trim read, but it doesn't seem to work. This may just be my relative inexperience with Reaper, of course.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #100
lxm

i follow the info step by step. i cant seem to get REAPER to see the reaper_bcr2000.dll thing. i pasted it in there but it wont show up in the control surfaces list. any ideas what im doing wrong?

Last edited by lxm; 06-04-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #101
bradleyfilms

Hi Ixm, the file you want is reaper_bcr2000.dll, and here it is in Program files->reaper->Plugins.
Steve
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #102
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Hi Ixm, the file you want is reaper_bcr2000.dll, and here it is in Program files->reaper->Plugins.
Steve
yeah, thats what i did. i am using REAPER 64 bit its program files>REAPER64>Plugins.... right? I have no idea why its not working. Others seem to have no problems via 64 bit. help!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #103
mymymetrocard

Default argh

Quote:
i follow the info step by step. i cant seem to get REAPER to see the reaper_bcr2000.dll thing. i pasted it in there but it wont show up in the control surfaces list. any ideas what im doing wrong?
I'm having the same problem here. reaper_bcr2000.dll is in the reaper/plugins directory, but nothing's showing up.

I'm on Win7 64bit, runnning the latest version of reaper64. Reaper is installed on my D: drive if that makes a difference.

i've read this thread and RTFM for hours on a loop last night and i'm getting nowhere!

mymymetrocard - PHYCOLOGY
mymymetrocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #104
ThatZenState

Hey guys.

I'm new to the whole midi control thing, but saw the BCR2000 earlier and had a couple of ideas.

First of all, I dislike using the mouse to control all faders/knobs onscreen, so would this be possible? -

- Use the BCR2000 to control the master level.
- Use it to control the panning/levels of each track.
- Use it to control vst parameters like on Amplitube 3, a guitar modelling simulator.

Thanks.

Edit- also have the levels on the knobs update instantly depending on what's onscreen?

Edit2- also, all this using just the USB connection?

Last edited by ThatZenState; 06-16-2010 at 05:48 AM.
ThatZenState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #105
ivansc

Zen - you didnt read this thgread first in its entirety, did you? All your questions are answered.

Mind you I wish I coul get the BCF2000 versions working right...

Too many new things to sort out at once on my new W7 puter and new soundcard, etc.

Wonder if Klinke makes house calls?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #106
nofish

@ TheZenState

You can also take a look at this thread where I described using the BCR with Reaper and Klinke's plugin (starting from post #226), which let's you do all the things you asked for.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48908&page=6

(Not saying that Klinke's plugin is better than this one, just another alternative...)
Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #107
Subz

Just had my first play with this plugin

seems interesting

but i cant get the console to work in Win7

i only ran the install.cmd installer (ran as admin) to install this BCR2000 addon, do i need to copy the other files anywhere?

currently if i click shift twice on my BCR then Reaper will crash,

any help most welcome

i'm off to test this with my XP boot

Subz
Subz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #108
Subz

Wow just tested on XP (works fine there) & this is amazing!!!
i hope i can get it to work in Windows7 (32bit)

any one else got this working with Win7?

FYI, its all working bar the console!! its only the console i cant get to work in Win7

Subz

Last edited by Subz; 06-17-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #109
mymymetrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
FYI, its all working bar the console!! its only the console i cant get to work in Win7
Subz
my experience exactly. There seems to be an issue with the .dll for win7. Strange because prev people on this thread have said that they've got it working on win7. hope the OP comes back to save the day!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #110
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymymetrocard View Post
my experience exactly. There seems to be an issue with the .dll for win7. Strange because prev people on this thread have said that they've got it working on win7. hope the OP comes back to save the day!
OK i have it working

i manually put the extra files in C:\windows after running the cmd file (right click "run as administrator")

HTH

Subz
Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #111
mymymetrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
OK i have it working

i manually put the extra files in C:\windows after running the cmd file (right click "run as administrator")

HTH

Subz
I'm still having no joy. I put the extra files in c:\windows (ie, bcr2000control.dll, MSCOMCTL.OCX and MSVBVM60.DLL), have run install.cmd (as admin and under compatability xp) and likewise tried to run prjbcr2000console, but nothing. reaper_bcr2000_v120 is in my reaper/pugins folder, the syx file is on my bcr, but bcr2000control surface isn't showing as an option in otions/control surfaces?

anyone got any ideas? i feel like an idiot!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #112
Subz

is any one else having problems with this plugin?

i click shift twice on my BCR the GUI opens with the parameters on them, but if i click it the BCR GUI vanishes?

any thoughts?

it was working great a few versions back so i'm not sure what i did if its only my setup

Subz
Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #113
jos

Default Same Problem: Win 7, 64bit, Reaper 64bit

After following the instructions (and every relevant piece of advice from this thread) I can neither see the new control surface in the menu in Reaper, nor open the console. I'm new to Reaper, but I think I have read somewhere that plugins/control surfaces need to be compiled separately for x64. Could this be one half of the problem?
Oh and I also tried to install the 1.1 version, no luck there either.
I would love to get this working, it looks like the best way of controlling VSTs with the BCR2000.

Last edited by jos; 01-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.
jos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #114
drew
Mobile

Default REAPER x64

I have no shame in resurrecting this very helpful thread.

Is this project still running? ajaym are you out there? It would be great to know if it's all still going 2 years on.

I found myself stuck in that dead zone when I first tried ('thanks' to Reason, I guess), but now taving moved over to REAPER x64 it looks like there's no solution for achieving full-duplex BCR comms.

Any advice would be welcome
drew is offline   Reply With Quote