Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #81
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to L click a track fader in either the MCP or TCP and have StudioMix follow it. It works with banking IE. StudioMix follows when mouse scrolling through the mixer channels. If I show only 8 tracks in the mixer pane it's awesome but as I have the screen real estate, I typically display as many as possible. Would be nice to have both as I believe my BCF2000 exhibits this behavior.
Yes. But, this is probably exactly what is leading to problems with track selection...

Experiment for yourself with different combinations of these settings in the .ReaperOSC config file:

Quote:
# REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected track in REAPER changes
# only when the user changes it in the REAPER window, or if it follows the track
# currently selected in the OSC device.
# Allowed values: REAPER, DEVICE

# DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected track in the device changes
# only when the device changes it, or if it follows the last touched track in the
# REAPER window.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, LAST_TOUCHED

# DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected track bank in the device
# changes only when the device changes it, or if it follows the REAPER mixer view.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, MIXER

[...]

REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
For what you asked, try this:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #82
N2NPro

Hi Banned,
First impressions on v05.
Master fader fights constantly while other faders are smooth.
Panning upon touching fader goes 100% R, once it goes hard R I can turn the knob CCW and it functions perfectly.
So far jitter correction has shown no benefit nor scaling
The dead zone setting at 500 means what exactly? what can it be changed to?

I am really struggling to see the correlation in coding changes for panning and now master fader fighting. v03 has neither of these issues.

I will continue experimenting, I feel like a baby bird waiting for mama to return with a morsel

I appreciate your efforts immensely!

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #83
jico27

Hi to both of you!
Oh, a 'new kid on the block', today... fine!
I've immediately updated OSCIIbot+StudioMix.Reaper.OSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
If you're enjoying this, perhaps you should also consider hacking a bit with Jesusonic effects in REAPER (and/or ReaScript), which is a great way to learn yourself some more programming (/ scripting). We have lots of very skilled 'masters' and very helpful 'nurses' on this forum who are happy to help you learn some more programming tricks and skills that you can directly apply to improve your workflow. Indeed, REAPER's user community rocks!
Wow, i long to know these 'masters' and 'nurses', indeed.
Actually i happened to have a look at some very professional and impressive GUIs for JS FX, like these ones.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35359
Very tempted to take up things like this.
Thanks for taking the time to explain your work on Jeffos' script. Once more, it's very pedagogical.
I'd be glad to offer him a beer, but i'm afraid it would be a virtual one.
At least i can give a big thank you to both of you. (a real one).

Quote:
Ok, I think there's something else that is getting in our way here... In the lest version of the OSCII-bot+StudioMix.ReaperOSC file I posted, there's this line:
Code:
This means, that the last track you touched in REAPER (regardless of whether it is selected or not) also becomes a selected track, as far as the remote device (i.e. OSCII-bot) is concerned.

Try changing this to:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
I think that should eliminate some of the quirks.

Cf. the comments in the .ReaperOSC file:
I'm afraid even your new update, (with the line above included), doens't
bring any modification to the wrong behaviour i mentioned.
What should i try next?

Quote:
Are you also experiencing the 'fighting faders' issue when multiple tracks are selected?
Yes, i am, indeed.

I can also notice that pans are back to normal today. Perfect.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #84
N2NPro

Hi All,

Banned you are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, after painstakingly going through each bit of code from v03 and v05, I was able copy/paste the new code from v05 into v03 (which worked pretty well as previously explained) and was successful.
Upon my fist tests I am nearly shitting myself!!! er, um with excitement that is...
I am still testing but first impressions are amazing!!!
When selecting multiple tracks- nearly zero jitter/creep managed by toggling the hot key "lock/unlock all selected". Other wise zero jitter/creep.
Panning knobs and AUX assign knobs seem to function perfectly.
All transport, AUX buttons and jog/shuttle work as before.
The Jitter Eater and Dead Zone functions do alter the results. I am experimenting with combinations of settings.

I will post back tomorrow with more details.

This is really shaping up to be better than the control surface in Sonar!!!

So excited... more tomorrow!!!!
Thank you Banned!!!!

N2N
Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #85
N2NPro

Hi Guys,
I'm still testing but I found one major issue with the Master fader and master mute. When changing banks after bank 1, the master fader and mute stop working for the master and start controlling tracks IE. 8 16 24 32 40 48 etc depending on the bank. Again it works fine as long as you are in bank 1.
I am fiddling with all the combos, btw my magic number seems to be .731 otherwise I can't get studio close enough to 0db... more on this later.

Anyway, if Banned wouldn't mind having a look at the master fader/mute issue to see if you can determine what it might be. This behavior is on every incarnation so far that I have tested.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

N2N
Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #86
Banned

Quote:
I'm still testing but I found one major issue with the Master fader and master mute. When changing banks after bank 1, the master fader and mute stop working for the master and start controlling tracks IE. 8 16 24 32 40 48 etc depending on the bank. Again it works fine as long as you are in bank 1.
Oh... good catch. That sounds like a silly programming error, should be easy to fix.
Quote:
I am fiddling with all the combos, btw my magic number seems to be .731 otherwise I can't get studio close enough to 0db... more on this later.
Hmm, I think the faders aren't able to reach the theoretical minimum and maximum values of 0 and 16383, respectively? This seems to be confirmed by the log files you made earlier...

We could also add some additional 'calibration' rescaling for that, perhaps. I'll try some things... it's not going to make the script any easier to read, that's for sure.

And indeed, please keep on experimenting a bit.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #87
Banned

Quote:
So, is/was the master worse than before? Are the others better than before? Does this depend on track selection etc.?

Fwiw: in v0.5, the 'jitter eater' also applies to the master track - in v0.4 it only affected tracks 1-8. Perhaps that explains what you were seeing.
Quote:
So far jitter correction has shown no benefit nor scaling
Well, the rescaling was never intended to solve this problem, I was just hoping it might have marginally improved things.

I still don't have a good idea what kind of jitter to expect from the device. I'd want to know things like how often it spontaneously sends some MIDI data... Can you perhaps record some more logs, where you don't do anything? I.e., just capture whatever MIDI data the device spontaneously sits out? That will give me a much better idea of the type of data that should be filtered out.

Also, I'm interested to find out: if you send a MIDI value to the device, does it normally respond by sending back MIDI data? If so, do you get (only) that same value back, or something more/else?
Quote:
The dead zone setting at 500 means what exactly? what can it be changed to?
Well, I also noticed an issue since adding the 'jitter eater': it was hard to reach the bottom end of the fader range. So, in a simplistic attempt at refining the jitter eater's behavior, I added a 'dead zone' value: if the fader value is within this amount from the minimum/maximum value, it does not get 'eaten'.

For example: with the 'dead zone' at 500, fader values between 0-500 and 15883-16383 would *always* be allowed to pass; while values between 500 and 15583 would get processed by the 'jitter eater', which possibly filters them out.

Possible (well... the script doesn't really check this!) values are between 0 and 16383, but I think something like a few hundred should work best.

Then again, if your faders don't send out any values over a significant range from the minimum (e.g., the value at the bottom is 125, not 0), then this also affects the range when converting... So I guess adding calibration is a good idea - then we can better judge whether or not having a 'dead zone' like this is in fact necessary or even useful.

Practically speaking: you must have been using a value for 'jitter eater' that is higher than the lowest value your faders sends out, in order to reach -inf. on the mixer. But, that value may already be too high for the amount of jitter coming from the faders. In turn, that makes things less responsive and accurate as they would ideally be.
Quote:
I will continue experimenting, I feel like a baby bird waiting for mama to return with a morsel
Haha, great analogy.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #88
N2NPro

Hi Banned,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Quote:
Oh... good catch. That sounds like a silly programming error, should be easy to fix.
That's very good news!

Quote:
Quote:
So, is/was the master worse than before? Are the others better than before? Does this depend on track selection etc.?

Fwiw: in v0.5, the 'jitter eater' also applies to the master track - in v0.4 it only affected tracks 1-8. Perhaps that explains what you were seeing.
I found out that that setting LAST TOUCHED and selecting a track prior to trying to move the Master solved the fader fighting issue.

Quote:
I still don't have a good idea what kind of jitter to expect from the device. I'd want to know things like how often it spontaneously sends some MIDI data... Can you perhaps record some more logs, where you don't do anything? I.e., just capture whatever MIDI data the device spontaneously sits out? That will give me a much better idea of the type of data that should be filtered out.

Also, I'm interested to find out: if you send a MIDI value to the device, does it normally respond by sending back MIDI data? If so, do you get (only) that same value back, or something more/else?
I will be more than happy to send whatever data logs necessary. Please give me directions regarding the best way to accomplish this task.

I think it can/will be all worked out. One issue I'm very concerned about may just be a mechanical fault/quality issue of the StudioMix. When scrolling tracks via mouse in the mixer pane, the StudioMix faders jump nicely into place, changing along with the channels in the mixer pane. The issue is when they are bounce from bank/track to bank/track the never seems to remain in the same position.
Example:
Track 1 is set to 0db
adv 1 bank and return
Track 1 is not 0db any longer (+or- depending on scaling-(w/scaling always below a bit)
This variance will increase with continued changing of banks/track postion with either the StudioMix or the mouse in the TCP or MCP panes.
Again, this might be a limitation of the StudioMix as it demonstrates similar behavior in Sonar.
My hope is through some combo of scaling, Jitter Eater and Dead zone perhaps this can be improved upon.
I must say, typical jitter/creep is seems to be reduced until multi-selected or banking/scrolling.

Quote:
Hmm, I think the faders aren't able to reach the theoretical minimum and maximum values of 0 and 16383, respectively? This seems to be confirmed by the log files you made earlier...

We could also add some additional 'calibration' rescaling for that, perhaps. I'll try some things... it's not going to make the script any easier to read, that's for sure.
I figured out that rtf format is easier than txt when reading code. I am not afraid of editing, I just don't know what all the code means... Along that note, I 'm sure once the bugs have been worked out, I can clean all the extras out and simplify. I am also very interested, upon completion, putting together a complete users guide. Perhaps it will benefit more than just SM users.

BTW, I bidding on a couple SM's ebay

With all this said, I believe once the master fader/mute issue is resolved, I can use my workarounds to make it functional. It would/will be fabtastic if the other details get ironed out too (but icing on the cake atm)

I look forward to your responses!

Cheers,

N2N
Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #89
jico27

To bring some fresh news :

1. I must admit that with v.05 you can very hardly move the master fader of the StudioMix, while evrything goes right in reaper. I'm still experiencing "fighting faders" issues when multitracks are selected.

2. Concerning the faders issue that change their position when PRV BNK & FW BNK are pressed several times, would a log file showing exactly what happens when PRV BNK is pressed just once be useful to you?
If so, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/66pjd81ynu...0to%20bnk1.txt

My question is the following :
Knowing that:
- sending a NRPN command needs four lines (2 for the NRPN #, 2 for the value transmitted, like below)

27 16 --- CC: NRPN MSB
48 16 --- CC: NRPN LSB
= NRPN 3504
54 16 --- CC: Data Entry MSB
119 16 --- CC: Data Entry LSB
= Value 7031
So far, am i right?

Also knowing that the log file contains 364 lines
I can say that 364/4 = 91 NRPN commands have been sent by the StudioMix just to switch from BNK2 to BNK 1.
Does such an action need as much as 91 orders to execute itself?
I suspect that most commands sent by the studiomix are only re-adjustments made to place the faders into a new position.
Does it make sense to you?
If i'm right, could this be related to the issues mentioned by N2NPro about the faders?
Does this answer in some way your question :
Quote:

If i understood well, the dead zone is something that filters out unwanted messages sent by the SM. So would this log file help you to identify or not the unwanted messages?

I wish i could help more, but i'm not sure what to do. Give me suggestions.

3. I can't test the older versions anymore. I deleted them everytime a new one was available. Can i get them again somewhere to make comparisons?

4. I can't find the log files for OSCII-Bot. Can you tell me were they are stored?

5. Also, still the same issue of the selected tracks, generating wrong behaviours - if they are activated on the Studiomix - of the mute sel / solo sel / and even hotkeys that won't open any plugins, while, once again, all these functions work fine in reaper.

@N2NPro
If you've got good results with your new code, don't hesitate to upload it, i'd be glad to test it and send you feedback.

Last edited by jico27; 04-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #90
N2NPro

Hi jico27 et al,
I have two questions for you.
1. How does one log the converted out from OSCII-bot?
2. jico27, I had to swap some code from a previous vers to get my panning to work properly, did you not have this issue?

I am happy to share my configs with you and anyone. You will have to change port names and set your own tweaks to taste. My setup is not working with the master fader volume/mute button past track 8. Other than that, I could get it to function as a viable piece of gear with a few workarounds ie.->
1. Circumvent multi-selected fader jitter/creep by hot keying "unselect all" to release any multi-selected tracks
and/or
hot keying a custom action combo of:
Track: Lock track controls
Track: Select all track that have controls locked
Track: Unlock track controls
Track: Unselect all tracks
*note the reason I use the lock/unlock is that it freezes the faders in place, no jitter or creep (simply unselecting didn't share that behavior} thus the lock/unlock portion of the combo. If I wanted to modify the same fader selection, I simply hit "undo" and all the same faders are selected and ready for adjustment, then hit the same hot key to "freeze" the faders in place again. Get it? I know it's a bit complex, but it is a workaround none the less.
Also, the faders do fight when multi-selected and trying to move with StudioMix. The fewer faders selected the less the fight ie. 3 faders selected = almost no fight. While 8 faders selected will probably damage the unit if moving the faders is attempted (I never force them). Moving with the mouse however, is smooth both in Reaper and the StudioMix, but upon release of the mouse jitter/creep will ensue (thus my previously mentioned workaround).

The other issues are still present as mentioned previous posts, but less using the master fader/mute buttons past track 8 I could actually manipulate a 62 track project.

Hopefully the master will drop by with some insight/updates soon.

Here are my revised files: http://www.n2nproductions.com/studio...4%201%2014.zip

Please keep me posted regarding my Q's at the top of my post.

Kindly,

N2N
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #91
Banned

Hey guys, just posted a new version v0.6 of the script (same URL as before), which should fix some of the issues.

- As for the master fader affecting track 8, 16, etc. after switching the track bank: you found a bug in REAPER, haha! I double-checked, and this is simply how REAPER responds when you set the volume for track 0. Fixed in the script by using a dedicated OSC message for master track volume. Should still be reported as bug nevertheless.

- The conversion now handles rescaling on both ends. In the script, I use the term' rescaling' for changing the range on REAPER's volume faders, and 'calibration' for adjusting to the range of the StudioMix. Can both be switched on/off, and minimum/maximum values can be adjusted. Since it seems that many problems that you've seen in earlier versions were related to the faders not being able to reach the absolute minimum / maximum values of a 14-bit value, this seems an important addition. Try to match these values to somewhere near the lowest/highest values that the StudioMix faders can send out.

- This one makes extensive use of the poor man's debugging tool of choice: spamming the log. Can be switched on or off. This should be very useful for further debugging (such as: seeing what values the StudioMix faders actually send out).

- There were some errors in the 'jitter eater' thing, and I still don't quite get how it is *supposed* to work (I've read that explanation in that document a few times, it seems to contain some errors). It should perform better than before, though. Maybe we'll get some clues from the log spam...

So, I suggest you guys experiment a bit with this new version, with the 'debugging mode' switched on.
Quote:
I figured out that rtf format is easier than txt when reading code.
Well, I rather meant: harder to understand what it does by reading it.

Also, it's important that whatever your code is intended for actually accepts the format used. And .rtf just adds markup stuff which has no use in code...

For editing scripts/code, you should look for features such as automatically checking for matching pairs of parentheses, which help you catch errors while you type; or to collapse blocks of text, so you can have a better overview and more clearly see the structure. Color coding is also very helpful. And an excellent search & replace function is almost essential.

I don't use Windows much, but iirc, Notepad++ is a great free code editor for Windows.
Quote:
BTW, I bidding on a couple SM's ebay
Haha, you better hurry up before everybody finds out about this script. More seriously, it would not be very hard to adapt the script for multiple devices.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #92
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
1. I must admit that with v.05 you can very hardly move the master fader of the StudioMix, while evrything goes right in reaper. I'm still experiencing "fighting faders" issues when multitracks are selected.
Yeah, I'm still trying to understand the exact nature of this issue, so we can try tackling it. I hope v0.6 is a step in the right direction, anyway - perhaps not to fix it altogether, but at least to more easily see what's happening exactly.
Quote:
2. Concerning the faders issue that change their position when PRV BNK & FW BNK are pressed several times, would a log file showing exactly what happens when PRV BNK is pressed just once be useful to you?
Thanks for the effort, I'll have a look.
Quote:
My question is the following :
Knowing that:
- sending a NRPN command needs four lines (2 for the NRPN #, 2 for the value transmitted, like below)

27 16 --- CC: NRPN MSB
48 16 --- CC: NRPN LSB
= NRPN 3504
54 16 --- CC: Data Entry MSB
119 16 --- CC: Data Entry LSB
= Value 7031
So far, am i right?
Yes, completely.
Quote:
Also knowing that the log file contains 364 lines
I can say that 364/4 = 91 NRPN commands have been sent by the StudioMix just to switch from BNK2 to BNK 1.
Does such an action need as much as 91 orders to execute itself?
No. It would only *need* to send out 8 NRPN messages to set the fader positions.

I suspect the rest of the messages is caused by feedback from the device, reporting where the faders actually are, while moving towards their new position, and in turn, that triggers volume changes in REAPER, etc. so we get a feedback loop.
Quote:
I suspect that most commands sent by the studiomix are only re-adjustments made to place the faders into a new position.
Does it make sense to you?
Not yet. I haven't looked at your log yet... but the 'debug mode' in v0.6 should make this easier to see; it will tell you fader numbers and values when you move them, calculate NRPNs and 14 bit values, etc.
Quote:
If i'm right, could this be related to the issues mentioned by N2NPro about the faders?
Does this answer in some way your question [...]
Yes, I think so too. And indeed, this goes towards answering some of my questions...
Quote:
If i understood well, the dead zone is something that filters out unwanted messages sent by the SM. So would this log file help you to identify or not the unwanted messages?
Uhm... no, admittedly, that name is not very clear. It's a zone where the jitter eater does *not* work, even when it's switched on. I'll try to think of a better description / name.

But I'm not even sure we actually need it - it was an attempt to work around problems caused by the 'jitter eater', which may now not even exist anymore...
unless you guys would still find it to be useful in the current version?
Quote:
I wish i could help more, but i'm not sure what to do. Give me suggestions.
I'll come back to this later, if you don't mind - don't have much time now, so I must ask for a little patience.
Quote:
3. I can't test the older versions anymore. I deleted them everytime a new one was available. Can i get them again somewhere to make comparisons?
If really needed, I can get to them (since Dropbox stores backups for previous versions), but I'd prefer to focus on one version, getting the bugs out of previous ones. There really shouldn't be anything in a previous version that isn't in the most recent one.
Quote:
4. I can't find the log files for OSCII-Bot. Can you tell me were they are stored?
I'm not sure if anything is stored at all. The 'log' option on the window simply refers to the text in that same window, afaik - you can disable it if it annoys you, or to (marginally) improve system performance.
Quote:
5. Also, still the same issue of the selected tracks, generating wrong behaviours - if they are activated on the Studiomix - of the mute sel / solo sel / and even hotkeys that won't open any plugins, while, once again, all these functions work fine in reaper.
I would need more specific step-by-step examples of such issues, I guess.

More later!

Last edited by Banned; 04-02-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #93
N2NPro

Hi Banned,
This looks great! I love the logging.
I have just dl'd and first test shows.
Panning error as described previously (am I the only one having this problem?
mute/solo do not control tracks but rather the master instead

I will report back shortly after trying to sort these issues.

Banned, thank you so much for your time, knowledge and efforts

N2N
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #94
Banned

Quote:
Hi Banned,
This looks great! I love the logging.
I have just dl'd and first test shows.
Panning error as described previously (am I the only one having this problem?
mute/solo do not control tracks but rather the master instead

I will report back shortly after trying to sort these issues.

Banned, thank you so much for your time, knowledge and efforts

N2N
Thanks for the quick feedback. Will take a look at the mute/solo thing next - haven't really tested that recently, was focused on implementing/debugging the rescaling/calibration stuff.

Re: the panning issue: I just saw that one happen myself for the very first time. So I guess I'll be able to sort that one out too.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #95
N2NPro

Hi Guys,
I'm starting to think some of this erratic behavior might be related to Reaper OSC bugs.
Selection via control surface and Master muting other track instead of master etc...
Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #96
G-Sun

Very cool thread.
I'm eager to see some successful OSC control surface usage
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #97
N2NPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Very cool thread.
I'm eager to see some successful OSC control surface usage
Hi G-Sun, Banned, jico27 et al,
G-Sun, I am new to the forum and read a bit about your Reaper input and achievements. It is very nice to have you join our StudioMix discussion! Your interest and advice is much appreciated.

Banned, I have complied logs of All Fader Tweaks set to "off" (other logs will follow):
http://www.n2nproductions.com/studio...0StudioMix.zip

TIA for going over the data and compiling the wonderful code that improves with each version.

N2N
Old 04-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #98
G-Sun

Quote:
G-Sun, I am new to the forum and read a bit about your Reaper input and achievements. It is very nice to have you join our StudioMix discussion! Your interest and advice is much appreciated.
Thanks! I don't believe I can help you much with this. Just adding my thumb up
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #99
Banned

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I'm starting to think some of this erratic behavior might be related to Reaper OSC bugs.
Selection via control surface and Master muting other track instead of master etc...
Indeed, that's always a possibility to keep in mind. For one thing, using track selection buttons as *toggles* is not part of the Default.ReaperOSC configuration, so it probably has not been used/tested as much as many other aspects of the OSC Control Surface feature.

But that particular behavior may also be the direct result of our design: we do not have a button on the remote device to toggle selection of the master track. So, when the device is *not* following the 'last touched' track in REAPER, we have no way to (un)select the master track (again). And how is the OSC Control Surface then supposed to know that a *generic* command to mute or solo the set of currently selected tracks is supposed to target the master track? (We don't have individual mute/solo buttons per track in the design, only generic ones.) Remember: an OSC Control Surface has its *own* set of selected tracks. You can make REAPER *follow* the selection on the OSC Control Surface, but if that selection does not contain the master track anymore, you can't have REAPER follow it either, of course.

We could - if only temporarily, for experimenting to find the optimal configuration and layout - add a track (un)select toggle button for the master track to the next version?
Quote:
Banned, I have complied logs of All Fader Tweaks set to "off" (other logs will follow):
http://www.n2nproductions.com/studio...0StudioMix.zip
Allright, that's very useful. The data seems to confirm a few important things:

(1) The faders don't reach the theoretical minimum/maximum values of 0/16383 at the bottom/top, respectively: they go from around 64-108 (minimum) to around 16016-16040 (maximum). So I would suggest setting the 'calibration' values in the script close to those values.

It would be interesting to compare their behavior (with both 'calibration' and 'rescaling' tweaks on) between setting them slightly *inside* their range, doing something like this:
Code:
fader_maximum_midi = 15950;
fader_minimum_midi = 150;
... with setting them slightly *outside* their range, doing something like this:
Code:
fader_maximum_midi = 16150;
fader_minimum_midi = 0;
jico27: are the minimum/maximum values sent by the faders on your device similar? I guess there can be significant differences between individual StudioMix devices, especially after years of use.

(2) There are slight differences between the values of the individual faders. This may be part of the explanation of some jitter/creep issues you have seen. What we could try, is to add separate calibration minimum/maximum vales for *each* of the individual faders. (The code would become a bit more complex, of course.)
Quote:
[...] the wonderful code that improves with each version.
Heh, except for those pan controls, then.

In the last few versions, when moving any fader on the controller device, that fader value somehow ends up in the array where pan values are stored for each track (as N2NPro has noted, v0.3 did not have this issue). I've been reading over the code a few times, but still don't understand how this is possible. I may still misunderstand how memory management for this language / application actually works... or made some other silly mistake. If all else fails, I guess I should go back a few steps and rebuild the script, carefully watching for this erroneous behavior to (re)appear.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #100
jico27

Quote:
Hi jico27 et al,
I have two questions for you.
1. How does one log the converted out from OSCII-bot?
As Banned answered, there's no log available with OSCII-Bot. It only displays some code (or not) if you uncheck the box.
I use MidiOx for log purposes.

Quote:
2. jico27, I had to swap some code from a previous vers to get my panning to work properly, did you not have this issue?
Yes i had the same in v.04 but it was ok again in version v.05

Quote:
I am happy to share my configs with you and anyone. You will have to change port names and set your own tweaks to taste. My setup is not working with the master fader volume/mute button past track 8. Other than that, I could get it to function as a viable piece of gear with a few workarounds ie.->
1. Circumvent multi-selected fader jitter/creep by hot keying "unselect all" to release any multi-selected tracks
and/or
hot keying a custom action combo of:
Track: Lock track controls
Track: Select all track that have controls locked
Track: Unlock track controls
Track: Unselect all tracks
*note the reason I use the lock/unlock is that it freezes the faders in place, no jitter or creep (simply unselecting didn't share that behavior} thus the lock/unlock portion of the combo. If I wanted to modify the same fader selection, I simply hit "undo" and all the same faders are selected and ready for adjustment, then hit the same hot key to "freeze" the faders in place again. Get it? I know it's a bit complex, but it is a workaround none the less.
Also, the faders do fight when multi-selected and trying to move with StudioMix. The fewer faders selected the less the fight ie. 3 faders selected = almost no fight. While 8 faders selected will probably damage the unit if moving the faders is attempted (I never force them). Moving with the mouse however, is smooth both in Reaper and the StudioMix, but upon release of the mouse jitter/creep will ensue (thus my previously mentioned workaround).

The other issues are still present as mentioned previous posts, but less using the master fader/mute buttons past track 8 I could actually manipulate a 62 track project.

Hopefully the master will drop by with some insight/updates soon.

Here are my revised files: http://www.n2nproductions.com/studio...4%201%2014.zip

Please keep me posted regarding my Q's at the top of my post.

Kindly,

N2N
Many thanks for your files and your efforts to make something usable. Be sure i'll give this a try and send you feedback as soon as i can, but i'd like to test new v.06 first, which should bring some improvements regarding the faders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro;

Yes i had the same in v.04 but it was ok again in version v.05
OOoops!
Same problem happens again in v.06!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #101
Banned

Quote:
I'm starting to think some of this erratic behavior might be related to Reaper OSC bugs. [...]
Indeed, it seems we found another one. With this setting in the .ReaperOSC config file:
Code:
... and using this 'OSC action description' (as we do, and which is also part of the default configuration):
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME n/master/volume
... REAPER stops sending out OSC messages for the master track volume after selecting another track (which includes touching any control *except* for the volume faders on another track) - until the master track is selected again (which includes touching any parameter *except* for the volume fader on the master track, such as pan, mute, or solo). This seems to be a bug / unexpected behavior, because touching a volume fader *should* count as 'last touched'.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #102
Banned

Quote:
OOoops!
Same problem happens again in v.06!!!
Yeah, I know... and unfortunately, at this point I don't understand what causes this issue (see post above). Need more investigation, debugging, and coffee.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #103
jico27

Quote:
Indeed, that's always a possibility to keep in mind. For one thing, using track selection buttons as *toggles* is not part of the Default.ReaperOSC configuration, so it probably has not been used/tested as much as many other aspects of the OSC Control Surface feature.

But that particular behavior may also be the direct result of our design: we do not have a button on the remote device to toggle selection of the master track. So, when the device is *not* following the 'last touched' track in REAPER, we have no way to (un)select the master track (again). And how is the OSC Control Surface then supposed to know that a *generic* command to mute or solo the set of currently selected tracks is supposed to target the master track? (We don't have individual mute/solo buttons per track in the design, only generic ones.) Remember: an OSC Control Surface has its *own* set of selected tracks. You can make REAPER *follow* the selection on the OSC Control Surface, but if that selection does not contain the master track anymore, you can't have REAPER follow it either, of course.

We could - if only temporarily, for experimenting to find the optimal configuration and layout - add a track (un)select toggle button for the master track to the next version?

Allright, that's very useful. The data seems to confirm a few important things:

(1) The faders don't reach the theoretical minimum/maximum values of 0/16383 at the bottom/top, respectively: they go from around 64-108 (minimum) to around 16016-16040 (maximum). So I would suggest setting the 'calibration' values in the script close to those values.

It would be interesting to compare their behavior (with both 'calibration' and 'rescaling' tweaks on) between setting them slightly *inside* their range, doing something like this:
Code:
fader_maximum_midi = 15950;
fader_minimum_midi = 150;
... with setting them slightly *outside* their range, doing something like this:
Code:
fader_maximum_midi = 16150;
fader_minimum_midi = 0;
jico27: are the minimum/maximum values sent by the faders on your device similar? I guess there can be significant differences between individual StudioMix devices, especially after years of use.

(2) There are slight differences between the values of the individual faders. This may be part of the explanation of some jitter/creep issues you have seen. What we could try, is to add separate calibration minimum/maximum vales for *each* of the individual faders. (The code would become a bit more complex, of course.)

Heh, except for those pan controls, then.

In the last few versions, when moving any fader on the controller device, that fader value somehow ends up in the array where pan values are stored for each track (as N2NPro has noted, v0.3 did not have this issue). I've been reading over the code a few times, but still don't understand how this is possible. I may still misunderstand how memory management for this language / application actually works... or made some other silly mistake. If all else fails, I guess I should go back a few steps and rebuild the script, carefully watching for this erroneous behavior to (re)appear.

Yes. In v.06, here is what's happening when i touch the faders on the StudioMix :
Midiox displays these values
minimum : msb 0 - lsb 0 : 0
maximum : msb 125 - lsb 40: 16040
whatever track is concerned.

Now if i move the faders in Reaper, here is what MidiOx is displaying for the StudioMix.
minimum : around 1000 (it may vary a bit, from 500 to 1200)
maximum : from 15700 up to 16014.
Il all depends on the selected track.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #104
jico27

Banned

First, thank you for your very complete answers in #92 to my (basic) questions. It brought a lot of clarity to me.
Anyway, i can see the tough job it is to tweak all this to make something workable.

I want to add something more that i noticed, but i'll let you have a good coffee first...
Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #105
jico27

Hi all,

Bad surprise, indeed

Here is what i noticed

When i press the arm button on track 1 in reaper, midiOx displays a lot of unexpected messages, that affect the StudioMix and obviously are unwanted ones...

(midiOx log joined)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fgawrbumc...n%20reaper.txt

What do you think about it?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #106
Banned

Quote:
Yes. In v.06, here is what's happening when i touch the faders on the StudioMix :
Midiox displays these values
minimum : msb 0 - lsb 0 : 0
maximum : msb 125 - lsb 40: 16040
whatever track is concerned.

Now if i move the faders in Reaper, here is what MidiOx is displaying for the StudioMix.
minimum : around 1000 (it may vary a bit, from 500 to 1200)
maximum : from 15700 up to 16014.
Il all depends on the selected track.
Hmm, that doesn't make sense - maybe you switched around the numbers? Because I would expect REAPER>OSCII-bot to send the same range of values for each track, but slightly different ranges when moving the faders on the device.

What is MidiOx exactly displaying, MIDI output from OSCII-bot to the StudioMix, from the StudioMix to OSCII-bot? Also, did you have calibration and/or rescaling set on (if so, which min/max values did you use) or off? Do you have DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS set to DEVICE or to LAST_TOUCHED?

Fwiw, I'm not seeing any OSC messages from REAPER specific to (un)arming a track for recording, nor any MIDI as a result.

Also, I made some changes here since the last posted version, so we're out of sync atm. The good news is, I think I fixed the pan issue. The downside: that messed up quite a bit of the debug logging. But that is only of secondary importance.

Last edited by Banned; 04-04-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #107
N2NPro

Hi Guys,
I am in the middle of testing and documenting the results so bare with me... I'm not lagging.
Banned, I have a question. Why can I not change the solo/redo buttons to action Cmd ID's? Why does this code not work??
I am using this code:

// NRPN 5002 => Solo Selected Track(s)
fmt2==5002 ? (
bufnrpn[fmt2] == button_depressed ? (
// Send 'solo selected track(s)' message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "t/track/solo/toggle", 1);

Changed to:

// NRPN 5002 => Toggle Solo Selected; Action Cmd ID = 7
fmt2==5002 ? (
// Trigger 'Toggle Solo For Selected' action with message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "i/action", 7);

Reaper Action=
Track: Toggle Solo For Selected Tracks Cmd ID 7

EDIT:
I was able to accomplish the above by making a custom action and using it's Cmd ID. I am able to set Mute/Solo selected without the Master Mute being affected. Yippie!

Found another bug:
My channel 6 pan goes hard right and sticks there. I re-tested with all versions and the same thing happens.
jico27, Please let me know if your channel 6 pan behaves the same way. This my be related to my machine only.

Please advise a soon as you can. I will be posting shortly my results of the tests you have requested along with the most "usable" ranges. I will also include solution possibilities (though perhaps beyond my expertise, someone here may be able to implement a cure utilizing my research). Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Thank you.

N2N

Last edited by N2NPro; 04-04-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: solution and Bug
Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #108
jico27

Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't make sense - maybe you switched around the numbers? Because I would expect REAPER>OSCII-bot to send the same range of values for each track, but slightly different ranges when moving the faders on the device.

What is MidiOx exactly displaying, MIDI output from OSCII-bot to the StudioMix, from the StudioMix to OSCII-bot?
In all cases, it's displaying the output messages from StudioMix to MidiOx,
either coming from the StudioMix only,
or coming from reaper via OSCII-Bot & the StudioMix.

Quote:
Fwiw, I'm not seeing any OSC messages from REAPER specific to (un)arming a track for recording, nor any MIDI as a result.
imho, this can be explained by the fact that no arm button in reaper is assigned to a controller on the StudioMix.

What i'm trying to suggest is that if a non-assigned button in reaper such as the arm one generates unwanted messages towards the StudioMix, via OSCII-Bot, it might be because there is something wrong in the translation process from reaper osc to StudioMix midi.
Or, as N2N suggested it, there might have some bugs in the OSC (?).

Quote:
Also, did you have calibration and/or rescaling set on (if so, which min/max values did you use) or off?
I'm afraid i don't know where calibration can be set. Sorry.
For rescaling, if the line concerned in StudioMix + Reaper.txt is this one :
fader_rescaling = 1; // (0 = OFF; 1 = ON)
It is set to ON
fader_minimum_midi = 512; // Default: 0 (= off); range: 0 to 16383

Quote:
Do you have DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS set to DEVICE or to LAST_TOUCHED?
I'm using the last version of the .ReaperOSC file, as is, so it is set to DEVICE.

Last edited by jico27; 04-04-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #109
Banned

Quote:
In all cases, it's displaying the output messages from StudioMix to MidiOx,
either coming from the StudioMix only,
or coming from reaper via OSCII-Bot & the StudioMix.
Ah, gotcha. For debugging purposes, it's important to distinguish between these two situations, though.
Quote:
I'm afraid i don't know where calibration can be set. Sorry.
For rescaling, if the line concerned in StudioMix + Reaper.txt is this one :
fader_rescaling = 1; // (0 = OFF; 1 = ON)
It is set to ON
fader_minimum_midi = 512; // Default: 0 (= off); range: 0 to 16383
Almost there... read the comments in the script, they should explain:
fader_rescaling is for adjusting the range on REAPER's mixer;
fader_calibration is for adjusting the range for the StudiMix faders.
(Perhaps I should rename those to fader_OSC_rescaling and fader_MIDI_calibration to be more clear what they do?)

You could try some different values for fader_minimum_midi and fader_maximum_midi. If I have understood your numbers correctly, try these values:
Code:
fader_minimum_midi = 0;
fader_maximum_midi = 16040;
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #110
Banned

Quote:
EDIT:
I was able to accomplish the above by making a custom action and using it's Cmd ID. I am able to set Mute/Solo selected without the Master Mute being affected. Yippie!
Nice. That may be a suitable workaround.

However, I'm afraid you can still run into some issues with multiple selected tracks, because you still have no way to (un)select the master track from the StudioMix device. Test it a bit and we'll see, I guess.

Also, fwiw: that's not a 'custom action' but a default one. Custom actions can be a bit tricky to use, as their Cmd IDs are subject to change between versions and users (hence the 'Custom ID' column next to it).
Quote:
Found another bug:
My channel 6 pan goes hard right and sticks there. I re-tested with all versions and the same thing happens.
jico27, Please let me know if your channel 6 pan behaves the same way. This my be related to my machine only.
I haven't seen anything weird specific to the pan control for track 6.

I did see lots of weird things for *all* pan controls, though.

But, with a new version 0.7 just uploaded, I hope those will be gone - so check it out, please.

Last edited by Banned; 04-04-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #111
Banned

Quote:
[...] What i'm trying to suggest is that if a non-assigned button in reaper such as the arm one generates unwanted messages towards the StudioMix, via OSCII-Bot, it might be because there is something wrong in the translation process from reaper osc to StudioMix midi.
Or, as N2N suggested it, there might have some bugs in the OSC (?). [...]
Yeah, generally speaking, that makes sense. I watched the OSC output from REAPER, while record arming some tracks, to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the .ReaperOSC configuration. But there seems to be nothing wrong with it, as far as I can see... will keep an eye out for it anyway.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #112
N2NPro

Hi Guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro
Banned, I have a question. Why can I not change the solo/redo buttons to action Cmd ID's? Why does this code not work??
I am using this code:

// NRPN 5002 => Solo Selected Track(s)
fmt2==5002 ? (
// Send 'solo selected track(s)' message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "t/track/solo/toggle", 1);

Changed to:

// NRPN 5002 => Toggle Solo Selected; Action Cmd ID = 7
fmt2==5002 ? (
// Trigger 'Toggle Solo For Selected' action with message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "i/action", 7);

Reaper Action=
Track: Toggle Solo For Selected Tracks Cmd ID 7

EDIT:

Found another bug:
I have fixed the solo/mute selected and Master Mute by using i/action and a custom Reaper action. It seems OSC only like 5 digit Cmd ID codes.

// NRPN 5001 => Mute Selected; Action Cmd ID = 53110
fmt2==5001 ? (
// Trigger 'Mute Selected' action with message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "i/action", 53110);

// NRPN 5002 => Solo Selected; Action Cmd ID = 53109
fmt2==5002 ? (
// Trigger 'Solo Selected' action with message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "i/action", 53109);

// NRPN 6005 => Master Mute; Action Cmd ID = 53111
fmt2==6005 ? (bufnrpn[fmt2] == button_depressed ? (
// Trigger 'Master Mute' action with message to OSC Control Surface
oscsend(destdevice, "i/action", 53111);

*Note: You must make a custom reaper action and use it's Cmd ID.

Will be reporting my logs soon.
jico27, do you have the same panning issue with channel 6?? Please advise.
Thank you all,

N2N
Old 04-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #113
Banned

Quote:
[...] I have fixed the solo/mute selected and Master Mute by using i/action and a custom Reaper action. It seems OSC only like 5 digit Cmd ID codes.
Does it? Something like
Code:
/action [i] 6
... works just fine here (no custom actions required).

NB: what may confuse you, is the fact that there are two very similar sections of code for those NRPNs - that's because I can't easily use the buttons on my BCR-2000 to send 14 bit NRPNs as you guys do. So there is support for 7-bit versions of some buttons as well, so I can test things without actually using a StudioMix.
Quote:
*Note: You must make a custom reaper action and use it's Cmd ID.
But, as I wrote above: custom actions can be a bit tricky to use, as their Cmd IDs are subject to change between versions and users (hence the 'Custom ID' column next to it).

You could also 'learn' the OSC messages for mute and solo to bind them directly to the corresponding (default) actions with Cmd IDs 6, 7 and 14. Seems a bit more straightforward.

Last edited by Banned; 04-04-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #114
jico27

Quote:
Nice.

I haven't seen anything weird specific to the pan control for track 6.

I did see lots of weird things for *all* pan controls, though.
Yes it's the same for me. All the pans are affected.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #115
Banned

Quote:
Yes it's the same for me. All the pans are affected.
Have you guys not yet tried v0.7 then? They should be working fine now.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #116
jico27

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. For debugging purposes, it's important to distinguish between these two situations, though.
You could try some different values for fader_minimum_midi and fader_maximum_midi. If I have understood your numbers correctly, try these values:
Code:
fader_minimum_midi = 0;
fader_maximum_midi = 16040;
Yes thanks for this. Faders min/max values are now quite the same in midiox if move them in reaper or in StudioMix.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #117
jico27

Now testing v.07

The debug mode has been bettered. A really cool feature that allows to see the bi-directional messages sent.

The pans are now ok again.

But :
1. All the faders are almost impossible to move(!!)
2. Concerning the arm button in reaper, i can clearly see in OSCII-Bot that pressing it is sending a lot of messages to the StudioMix which sends back a few more messages to reaper.
This obviously should be fixed too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgzm0x0gh1...2001.33.15.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv5emb55e0...2001.33.48.png
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #118
N2NPro

Banned,
v07 works but with my solo/mute selected and Master Mute tweaks. I am unable to get Cmd ID 6,7 to work here. They don't show with any number when trying to learn. I know this is a workaround and is not going to work as a blanket for everyone until they tweak their own. It is just that for now, a workaround

I also made a 'bare bones' version of ReaperOSC to only show what SM needs/uses.
The pans all work great now, I set mine to 1/99 as it then move 2% per click and is the same on each side ie. R=2, L=2... 1/200 works but is a bit slow to reach the destination. 1/100 works but moves R=3, L=2... weird but that how it works here.

The calibration and re-scaling now work perfectly...
mine are set to: max 0.716 and min 0... StudioMix will now show 0db-inf in Reaper. Sometimes I need to jostle the bottom end to reach inf but top end to 0db is perfect.

This seems to be a nearly working combo for me. The fader jitter/creep when scrolling banks still makes it problematic. IE, moving from bank to bank either by mouse or SM makes the faders move to different levels upon returning to them.
Example:
load 32 tracks
Set track 1 to -3db
Scroll up and banks a few times and check if track 1 is till at -3db....
mine moves erratically up or down. This happens on all tracks when set and then banked up or down... The levels change each time..
I am not sure if this can be fixed. It seems like we need some sort of feedback shutoff during banking, once the bank is set then feedback is resumed and the faders jump to position.

The multi-select jitter/creep is still present but seems to be improving.
I have Jitter Eater off as it only seems to change the range of the faders and not amount of jitter/creep.
I have "Dead Zone" set to 500 and seems to improve jitter... It makes the latency increase between SM and Reaper. Around 500 seems to work okay.

I will post back with more details after testing. Let me know if there is a specific setting you would like for me to try.

This is absolutely amazing stuff. I can't thank you enough!!!

N2N
Old 04-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #119
Banned

Quote:
Now testing v.07

The debug mode has been bettered. A really cool feature that allows to see the bi-directional messages sent.

The pans are now ok again.

But :
1. All the faders are almost impossible to move(!!)
At this point, I'd suggest trying some different settings, and looking at the values sent back and forth, maybe that gives us a clue as to what's happening. Does switching the 'jitter eater' on help, perhaps? Does this also happen when only one / no tracks are selected?
Quote:
2. Concerning the arm button in reaper, i can clearly see in OSCII-Bot that pressing it is sending a lot of messages to the StudioMix which sends back a few more messages to reaper.
This obviously should be fixed too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgzm0x0gh1...2001.33.15.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv5emb55e0...2001.33.48.png
I only see REAPER sending out OSC messages on very rare occasions when record arming a track, and only after having done a lot of other stuff. I do not see anything getting sent out when creating a new project, creating a bunch of tracks, then record arming some track. So it seems to require some specific step(s) before record arming - and at this point I have no idea what.

In any case, these messages simply seem to send the current values for volume and/or pan for some tracks (even though it does not seem necessary to send those values at that point, which seems to make this a little bug in REAPER's OSC feature) and thus should really be considered harmless. Don't worry too much about it. Our script should be able to handle that just fine. When, for example, you 'refresh' all control surfaces (Action Cmd ID 41743), such values are sent for all tracks, too.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #120
Banned

Quote:
Banned,
v07 works but with my solo/mute selected and Master Mute tweaks. I am unable to get Cmd ID 6,7 to work here. They don't show with any number when trying to learn. I know this is a workaround and is not going to work as a blanket for everyone until they tweak their own. It is just that for now, a workaround
Try something like this:
Code:
// NRPN 5001 => Mute Selected Track(s)
nrpn_index==5001 ? (
	bufnrpn[nrpn_index] == button_depressed ? (
		// Trigger 'Track: Toggle mute for selected tracks' action via OSC
		oscsend(destdevice, "i/action", 6);
	);
);
That seems to work just fine here, anyway (I can't see what's wrong with your code above).
Quote:
The pans all work great now, I set mine to 1/99 as it then move 2% per click and is the same on each side ie. R=2, L=2... 1/200 works but is a bit slow to reach the destination. 1/100 works but moves R=3, L=2... weird but that how it works here.
Use whatever works for you. But do note that REAPER's GUI readout is often not very accurate, as it often rounds the values before displaying them. Which bothers me, especially with panning, volume and wet/dry balance. I really hate to see 100% when it is in fact 99.6%. :-/
Quote:
The calibration and re-scaling now work perfectly...
mine are set to: max 0.716 and min 0... StudioMix will now show 0db-inf in Reaper. Sometimes I need to jostle the bottom end to reach inf but top end to 0db is perfect.
But have you also played with the settings for fader_maximum_midi / fader_minimum_midi? Those seem more important for adjusting to the StudioMix's range...
Quote:
This seems to be a nearly working combo for me. The fader jitter/creep when scrolling banks still makes it problematic. IE, moving from bank to bank either by mouse or SM makes the faders move to different levels upon returning to them.
Example:
load 32 tracks
Set track 1 to -3db
Scroll up and banks a few times and check if track 1 is till at -3db....
mine moves erratically up or down. This happens on all tracks when set and then banked up or down... The levels change each time..
I am not sure if this can be fixed. It seems like we need some sort of feedback shutoff during banking, once the bank is set then feedback is resumed and the faders jump to position.
Yes, I have also been thinking about a mechanism to halt feedback. The difficulty there is to distinguish between the data we do or do not want to receive. I'll try to come up with something.
Quote:
The multi-select jitter/creep is still present but seems to be improving.
That's good to hear - we should try to relate any such improvements to any specific settings used, I guess. So please keep experimenting a bit with using different settings.
Quote:
I have Jitter Eater off as it only seems to change the range of the faders and not amount of jitter/creep.
Hmm, that makes no sense to me. It shouldn't affect the range of the faders at all. So I think you're using too high values for it, then. Also, you may still have been using a buggy version of it from a previous version? (It was most definitely broken before v0.6).
Quote:
I have "Dead Zone" set to 500 and seems to improve jitter... It makes the latency increase between SM and Reaper. Around 500 seems to work okay.
That also makes no sense to me - it should definitely not increase the latency... and it should have no effect whatsoever while 'jitter eater' is switched off.

Last edited by Banned; 04-04-2014 at 07:36 PM.