Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Default Auto-extend MIDI item when editing

Is there a way to automatically extend the borders of a midi item when editing? For example, let's say I quantize the notes of my midi item. Some of the notes will not quantize correctly to the grid because the end of some of the notes run into the border of the midi item. I would like them to quantize and automatically extend the midi item.

Same thing for dragging or extending a midi note I'm editing. When I'm extending a note and run into the border of the midi item I'd like it to automatically extend the item borders.

With the standard behavior I have to extend my borders first and then perform the quantize or edits which is very time consuming when you edit midi parts all day long.

Is there a way to set Reaper to automatically extend the borders of a midi item?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #2
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post

Is there a way to set Reaper to automatically extend the borders of a midi item?
Not at a machine with reaper on it & never tried this, but what happens if you turn auto-loop MIDI items off? I am guesdsing that even with that off you can only extend items to cover this manually, but I too would love this, seems like there is an opportunity to persuade one of our clever scripters to have a look at this?

+1 for the idea.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
what happens if you turn auto-loop MIDI items off?
No difference. Borders don't automatically extend when moving or dragging items and I haven't found any preferences that change this.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I haven't found any preferences that change this.
There is an option-- 'allow midi note edit to extend midi item' in the midi editor there. =)
Should work fine.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
EvilDragon

There's an option for extending MIDI item while editing (MIDI editor Options->Media items->Editing extends media item), but Quantize is apparently not considered an edit because that option doesn't influence notes moved by quantizing.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There's an option for extending MIDI item while editing (MIDI editor Options->Media items->Editing extends media item), but Quantize is apparently not considered an edit because that option doesn't influence notes moved by quantizing.
Dammit, I was looking in the prefs. Idiot. Thanks guys. If anyone can think of a way to auto-extend when quantizing please let me know.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
EvilDragon

I don't think it's possible at this point.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I don't think it's possible at this point.
Yes it is-just grab the notes and use option suggested?
It's just not working with the qauntize event tool itself.
Hidden in plain sight.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Klangfarben

That's what he meant. That it wasn't working with quantize.

It also doesn't seem to work with CC data. Seems to work with midi notes only. Would be really great to have a "universal" option that extended on any type of midi edit.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Seems to work with midi notes only. Would be really great to have a "universal" option that extended on any type of midi edit.
*Shrugs* I dunno---- people...
It seems some just want to think/blink >and the computer does it all for them automatically-- LOL.
I don't know what type of job involves sorting out midi notes all day long -the performers must be gross. ?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
Klangfarben

Anyone who does film and tv work for a living is editing midi data all day long. Part of the job. We don't get to record live musicians until the very end and sometimes not at all. So things like quantize not working properly without manually adjusting borders or multiple clicks to write in CC data is very problematic. When you add in all the things that take multiple clicks or actions to do one command - like having to adjust borders before quantizing - it can be the difference between getting your minutes done that day or not.

Perhaps there is a script that would simply add a bar to the beginning and end of the midi region that I could add to my retrospective record action? Or a script that sets the beginning and end of the midi item to the nearest bar? That would probably take care of it.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #12
EvilDragon

You could also glue all MIDI items on the track before quantizing, I guess?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #13
Klangfarben

Quote:
You could also glue all MIDI items on the track before quantizing, I guess?
Not really an option. In order to see what's going on, I need to see the individual midi parts. Visually, gluing items together for each track for a 150 bar cue (or any length cue) would be like working totally blind.

I think a "quantize/extend midi item's beginning and end to the nearest bar" script would do the trick. I've seen a few of the quantize scripts by Spk and a few others do similar things.

Anyone willing to take a shot at that? And by anyone I of course mean anyone much smarter than me
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
EvilDragon

Quote:
I think a "quantize/extend midi item's beginning and end to the nearest bar" script would do the trick. I've seen a few of the quantize scripts by Spk and a few others do similar things.
Those actions already exist in SWS extensions. "SWS: Quantize item's end to grid (change length)". You will want to pair this with actions to change the grid to a bar, then back to your usual preferred grid size after the SWS action has been executed.

The variant of the action that extends both ends shouldn't be used as it moves the item to the left rather than extending the item start.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #15
Klangfarben

Thanks I will give that a shot. I think I was trying the "SWS/FNG: Quantize item positions and MIDI note positions to grid" or "mpl_Quantize item and note positions to project grid.lua"
Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Anyone who does film and tv work for a living is editing midi data all day long. Part of the job. We don't get to record live musicians until the very end and sometimes not at all.
Oh? really? I do not believe that's true.
If your actually working with industry grade performers- I don't think there would be as many 'edits' to be made-this is what sets these types of musicians apart from non career amatures!?

Even if a score was over two hours long- I couldn't see that taking more than a few hours to sort out any edits-- at worst!
You basically get the function you wanted,but not in ~total wants~ at this time..
Is there also not an option to uncheck loop for items? the edges can be whatever size of choosing??
Just can't see the 'problem' -- how did you manage all this time without the functions you can now enjoy??
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Klangfarben

You should maybe refrain from commenting on what you don't know about. EVERYONE in this industry edits midi all day long. Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Danny Elfman, insert composer name here.

We start with mock-up demos of cues. It's all midi. Until that demo is approved there are no live players. That happens at the end. The other two months is spent mocking up demos.

I generally try to not call people out especially here where everyone is EXTREMELY helpful. I couldn't use this program without the support of the people here. But that is really a misinformed viewpoint you have. We literally spend all day on midi mock-ups which need to sound like the real thing. Otherwise the cues don't get approved.

Would I like to not have 1000-some track templates and be able to write in midi parts that sound like crap because I know they are going to be replaced with a live player later? Sure, but that's not the reality and until you do this for a living maybe you should refrain from making judgments.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
You should maybe refrain from commenting on what you don't know about. EVERYONE in this industry edits midi all day long. Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Danny Elfman, insert composer name here.
Lol- what a load of old bollox- the industry is full of bollox-and that's putting it politely. =)
The film+music industry is full of bullshitters from day1- it's money that talks-not sense,or the music it seems.
Beethoven would literally be rolling over right now.
Oh-and
Quote:
I generally try to not call people out especially here where everyone is EXTREMELY helpful. I couldn't use this program without the support of the people here.
Again- I dis-agree-- go check the actual amount of un-answered topics/threads on this forum...some of the replies are also 'highly dubious' and incomplete. {imo}- this is not trolling--just a simple observation.
What say yee?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
What say yee?
I say take your opinions on the industry elsewhere. There's plenty of other forums for that.

Thanks everyone else for your help. Much appreciated!

Last edited by Klangfarben; 08-04-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I say take your opinions on the industry elsewhere.
Yep-as I suspected-spineless.Like a lot of them-
They are to be weeded out-hold tight.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
vanhaze

Quote:
Not really an option. In order to see what's going on, I need to see the individual midi parts. Visually, gluing items together for each track for a 150 bar cue (or any length cue) would be like working totally blind.

Anyone willing to take a shot at that? And by anyone I of course mean anyone much smarter than me
Hi Klangfarben,

If you have ReaPack installed, then you have an Action in Reaper Action List called:
Script: me2beats_Trim sel items edges to nearest measure (increase items length).lua

So your workflow would be to first execute this Action on a selected MIDI item and then do the quantize on that Item.

Credits ofcourse go to me2beats for this script.

Maybe this helps you ?!
I very hope so !

Warm Regards.

Last edited by vanhaze; 08-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #22
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
If you have ReaPack installed, then you have an Action in Reaper Action List called:
Script: me2beats_Trim sel items edges to nearest measure (increase items length).lua

And also this Action:
Script: me2beats_Trim sel items left edges to nearest grid divisions (increase items length).lua

Maybe this helps you ?!
I very hope so !
Aha! I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. Will give this a try right now. Thank you so much!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
vanhaze

Alrighty !

Please do a browser refresh on this thread cause i edited my post alittle, being more accurate i think.

I wish you luck with it !

EDIT: This is my refined answer:

Hi Klangfarben,

So your workflow would be to first execute this Action on a selected MIDI item and then do the quantize on that Item.

Credits ofcourse go to me2beats for this script.

Maybe this helps you ?!
I very hope so !

Warm Regards.

Warm Regards.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:28 AM   #24
Coachz

Quote:
I just discovered this feature and wanted to make sure others see it. It makes extending a midi item automatic.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote