Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default iTunes replaced by 3 apple services ?

I'm reading that iTunes is being replaced by Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV. Isn't Apple Music streaming only or can you buy music like on iTunes for 99 cents for example?

Where can we sell downloads of our music and not just streams ?

I'm on windows 10 so what should I install to be able to access this. In the Microsoft Store, the reviews for iTunes and especially Apple Play seem to think the apps are malware.

We just submitted a song on CD Baby and they delivered it yesterday to iTunes among other places. If iTunes is dead I'm confused as to where things are.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post

We just submitted a song on CD Baby and they delivered it yesterday to iTunes among other places. If iTunes is dead I'm confused as to where things are.
CD Baby usually has good support, I'd probably ask them.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
serr

Quote:
I'm reading that iTunes is being replaced by Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV. Isn't Apple Music streaming only or can you buy music like on iTunes for 99 cents for example?

I'm on windows 10 so what should I install to be able to access this. In the Microsoft Store, the reviews for iTunes and especially Apple Play seem to think the apps are malware.

Bandcamp is the first and best choice!
They support full quality lossless formats (and the rest just like Gilligan's island). They let you include your own additional download links to host additional content yourself. (Like 5.1 surround mixes, additional artwork, etc)

Apple never followed through with their Apple Lossless (ALAC) format in their iTunes store. You could only buy lossy AAC copies this whole time (for full price). They disabled FLAC playback from iTunes to compete but ultimately kicked the ball away.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
vdubreeze

Quote:

No, iTunes isn't dead. Apple just changed things up. The awful iTunes app had a lot of its overextended functions spun off, IIRC (I'm a few OS's back, so I'm not on the current Apple apps. No more bleeding edge for me!) CD Baby knows what they're doing. As karbomusic says, have their support explain the latest terrain. I've found them very helpful and they've always been on top of things like this.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
FYI... He's talking about digital distribution which goes worldwide to all the major streaming services. Bandcamp doesn't do distribution.

https://cdbaby.com/digital-distribution-partners.aspx

https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/a...bute-my-music-
Old 01-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I've found them very helpful and they've always been on top of things like this.
Yes, I actually had someone I could call and a real human for the duration. Go figure. I'm getting ready to try to start releasing some singles, just as singles. Seems to be the new hotness.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
They support full quality lossless formats (and the rest just like Gilligan's island). They let you include your own additional download links to host additional content yourself. (Like 5.1 surround mixes, additional artwork, etc)

Apple never followed through with their Apple Lossless (ALAC) format in their iTunes store. You could only buy lossy AAC copies this whole time (for full price). They disabled FLAC playback from iTunes to compete but ultimately kicked the ball away.
You dont make any money in bandcamp from what I read.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yes, I actually had someone I could call and a real human for the duration. Go figure. I'm getting ready to try to start releasing some singles, just as singles. Seems to be the new hotness.
So we just released a single through CD baby and they had a sale for $5 and we kept getting rejected because the album art I submitted did not have the name of the song. They album is called a new reality and the song is called No More dancing. Then I included the name of the song and it got rejected again because it cannot have the album name and the song title. Finally I submitted the artwork with just the song name and the artist name and they accepted it and it got pushed yesterday and hopefully we'll end up on all these platforms within a week or so. It was easy to call them on the phone and talk to them.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
So we just released a single through CD baby and they had a sale for $5 and we kept getting rejected because the album art I submitted did not have the name of the song. They album is called a new reality and the song is called No More dancing. Then I included the name of the song and it got rejected again because it cannot have the album name and the song title. Finally I submitted the artwork with just the song name and the artist name and they accepted it and it got pushed yesterday and hopefully we'll end up on all these platforms within a week or so. It was easy to call them on the phone and talk to them.
They have a bunch of resources on line in the member area with all the guides and particulars for a release - my only complaint is you have to click around a bit to find them all. It's a lot of stuff and much to do with the process in general (not CD Baby specific) - either way, I ended up covering all those guides and everything went through first try... Which included 1000 CDs + 8-Page artwork booklet - but it was a LOT of work to nail everything.

Support was great though for the few questions I had.