Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 11-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #41
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Rather than focus on what is missing in a default theme, I would like to be able to choose from a list of default themes. The current two, 'Default' and 'Default 4.0' are good, but why not have, say, ten (10) different defaults to choose from.
These are things done with track layouts, track templates and project templates, not so much with themes. Workflows vary greatly, so you're always going to have to set these things up yourself based on how you work. No assortment of themes can ever cover everyone's needs, but this is why Default 5.0 theme provides close to 30 track panel layouts...
Old 11-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #42
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
yes you are basically correct about how and where the setting exists and yet, the theme has to be made so it will respond to those settings...
Interesting. Well I've always used variants of default themes, which is what the OP concerns, so I've never encountered this. I highly doubt Reaper would ever ship with a theme that disables this function, so you had me confused.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #43
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Rather than focus on what is missing in a default theme, I would like to be able to choose from a list of default themes. The current two, 'Default' and 'Default 4.0' are good, but why not have, say, ten (10) different defaults to choose from.

Create these 10 defaults (or more) for different types of projects. I don't know, say:

1: Recording Basics
2: Recording a live band (e.g. with example tracks set up for multiple mics with channels and all --)
3: Editing
4a: Mixing normal, b. mixing K system, c. mixing other standards, ....
5: Mastering a song many songs for an album
6: Mastering many songs for an album
7: Daytime theme glare friendly
8: Nightime theme dark friendly
9: ?
10: ?
11: a. ProTools b.c.d... other DAW look-a-like

I don't know, I'm sure pros would have better suggestions on workflow ideas...

Sure we can try different themes we find online, but something more mindful, coming from people who can anticipate our needs, would be helpful, or at least get us started by showing the possibilities of Reaper's custom-abilities (is that even a word?).
There was a thread about that kind of thing a little while ago started by Kenny.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #44
BaniBani

Judders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I like big faders and not so many fx insert slots. I like the fact that this happens regardless of the theme I use.

What theme is that?? Looks beautiful... even at low res...

Back on topic...
- 'Separator' track layout would be nice...
- 'No record arm or input buttons' track layout... There is no use for them when mixing. Specially for busses or fx auxes in the MCP.
- Trck colors a bit more saturated... not just a strip below and than almost gray
- There is some unused space above the ruler, drives me crazy. It should disappear imo
- The "tabs" in the docker are visible all the time --> option to hide them

The first three are for sure dependant on the theme. The other two are just graphics related I guess...

I really want to get Judders' theme... it's the whole reason I wrote LOL
BaniBani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:03 AM   #45
Judders

Hey, BaniBani, it's the Default Dark theme by Pet.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172024
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 AM   #46
Alex_HS

Remove "felt boots" from mixer lines (the recording button at the bottom right of the fader). Light/gray variation of default theme (dark themes is pain for MY eyes).

Last edited by Alex_HS; 02-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Alex_HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #47
joelsampson

Simple, clean and good contrast between text and the background. Legibility!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #48
rothchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
at least:
-separator, which don't behave like a track, can't send/receive signals, doesn't counts as a track number, just clean dummy panel with maybe field for text, no more.

-separate fxlist in tcp

-separate sendlist in tcp
This. And to have the option to make sure mixer separators don't appear in the tcp.

Also, the ability to tie layouts to screensets. So I can have a large tcp with sidebar, a mixer with big faders, a half and half with mixer layouts and a small tcp layout (ie different to the fullscreen/sidebar layout) etc.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #49
acousticglue

I liked the Shoelace theme that wasn't real completed with many options so I wish we could:

A) have x on windows/areas to close those views, be able to page up and down and make any theme area larger or just simply grab and move to another area, hit control F1 or F2 etc to save the view instantly

B) be able to use tracks, transport views from all themes at once, not limited to the the single theme

C) have BPM all the way to left instead of middle area

Hate all the flat paint jobs of some themes

And yes not too many FX inserts on track panels at bottom, meters able to be read is more important
acousticglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #50
ponknasty

I don't like the tick box for the FX bypass button, looks cheap.
ponknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #51
RobertP

I like my mixer permenantly docked.
I have the transport bar in between the MCP and TCP.
I also have the height of the master and track panels in the mixer at what I think is a good level.

Currently you can drag the top of the mixer up to see FX slots for all tracks and it moves the transport bar with it.

I would like to be able to drag the top of the mixer down to completely hide the mixer and still have it move the transport bar down with it.

Yes I know, I can Cntrl M or whatever it is, to hide/show the mixer but one simple drag suits me better.

I can do this with my current theme (I renamed it and tweaked it but the original is no longer in the stash ) but there are other themes I like where this is not implemented, and one where the creator said it was not possible to do.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #52
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
I'd like to see more clever space management and a new UI.

Easier zoom management
compression reduction view in mixer
midi controler lane improvement
Master volume control and CPU usage in transport bar
Option to avoid TCP to be indented when in folder (in order to gain horizontal space)
Option to show/hide sends and FX in mixer view, height of the mixer automatically adjusted accordingly (as studio one)
a properties panel (as Logic X)
I agree with me.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #53
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
I agree with me.
Well at least SOMEbody does....
Old 02-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #54
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
Also, the ability to tie layouts to screensets. So I can have a large tcp with sidebar, a mixer with big faders, a half and half with mixer layouts and a small tcp layout (ie different to the fullscreen/sidebar layout) etc.

Hi,
That works here for me now. I have a screen set with big meter mixer layout that I use on my tablet atop my control surface. Tablet is behaving like second monitor.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:37 AM   #55
ernzo

I have tried almost all the Themes there is in the Stash, and I'm in complete Awe of your Talents and invaluable Efforts..
Pretty Awesome Stuff.

But you know what, the only Theme that Clicks for me is the good old "Default Analog 1.8"..
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/963/De...0Analog%20v1.8

I know, it's nothing specially fancy, and I'm probably biased,..
But really, there's no other Theme that looks as Clear and Clean as this one, and this helps a big deal in Productivity.

In comparison, almost all other themes are Bulky and Hard to look at.

Also the Colors are great (Yellow, Gray, Red..) and look Much better than the default Green, which is quite Ugly to say the truth..

I know, Reaper is all about Green, and it might have some Appeal as far as Matrix or retro Soviet tech goes.. lol

But really, so much of this green is a bit yucky.
(and that affects your mood..)

So for a new Default Theme, and as far as TCP goes..
I would just add an Updated version of the "Analog 1.8" that conforms with the actual Reaper 5/6 Theme and functionalities.

Maybe It could have 4 default themes:
Default Green Clear
Default Green Dark (darker TCP)
Default Analog Clear (just as the v1.8, but with updated functionality)
Default Analog Dark (darker TCP)

-In terms of MCP, there's quite Mindblowing stuff on the Stash,
but I have no preference as I don't really use the Mixer in this way.

So I would let the experts decide

PS: Perhaps Separating the TCP and MCP Themes wont be too far fetched?
This will allow Combining themes, like having the TCP look one way, and the MCP another..

Last edited by ernzo; 02-19-2018 at 06:43 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #56
rothchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
That works here for me now. I have a screen set with big meter mixer layout that I use on my tablet atop my control surface. Tablet is behaving like second monitor.
I'm not sure that's what I mean, what I want is to be able to switch between screensets and have the relevant layouts change when I do. (if that is what you mean then please expand on how you make it work)

Screenset1 - TCP layout 1 MCP layout 1
Screenset2 - TCP layout 2 MCP layout 2

etcetc

As it stands at the moment I have to select the best compromise layout for each type so that it works whatever screenset I might come up with.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #57
Vampire TNA

I would love the ability to "split" mixer window/view. This way i could keep my busses/sends in a fixed position instead of scrolling all the time to find them.
Vampire TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #58
mamazai

When vertically zooming with the mouse or touch pad, the page should only be able to move up without deviating right or left.

The cursor must be aligned exactly to the edge of the windows, the region name must be exactly centered.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #59
falconep

Default Very simple change

Since I can't find the horizontal (below Arrange area) or vertical (rightside of Arrange area) scrollbar elements, just make them WHITE before I go blind looking for them. If they belong to a Theme Group, let me know it's number and I'll do it myself.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (61.3 KB, 320 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #60
KenB

At the top of my list by far ... increased legibility. Much higher contrast between fonts and background. No gray/light gray fonts ... at all.

Less Fx slots

Vector based theme

Elimination of the Fx wrapper that shows all the Fx on the left side ... and elimination of the Windows Fx wrapper when the Fx is floated.

Skins for the supplied plugins ... they work fine but they look soooo uninviting

A user guide that's MUCH more concise if possible

KenB
Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #61
mamazai

If the cheaper amateur theme design is no longer available, then get a standard real design. Let's be honest now, we are thinking about the future of the Reaper, most of them are extremely bad and unnecessary, they are made by amateurs who are not seen at all DAW. Absurd analog console look, bullshit knobs, eye-killer colors, weird icons, cursors ...they are all useless, we are now in 2018. Eventually before designing Reaper again, pro tools, logic, studio one, ableton have to be explored very well.

Last edited by mamazai; 02-20-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #62
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconep View Post
Since I can't find the horizontal (below Arrange area) or vertical (rightside of Arrange area) scrollbar elements, just make them WHITE before I go blind looking for them. If they belong to a Theme Group, let me know it's number and I'll do it myself.
Horizontal and vertical scrollbars as well as the scroll buttons for the main arrange are all within one image called scrollbar.png. It is found inside the theme file, eg. Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip. There is another "combo" image for the scrollbars and buttons for the MIDI Editor, that one is named scrollbar_3.png.

New and improved scrollbar skinning, old topic.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=11234
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 AM   #63
vidalsh

built in toolbars...

reaper needs to show one entry workflow with built in toolbars as a guide to begin...

reaper does a lot of things but not showed anything at start up, so it´s hard to begin for new users and to show some built workflow guides should be a great help...

and of course, new vector themes...reaper shows as an older thing actually...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #64
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
If the cheaper amateur theme design is no longer available, then get a standard real design. Let's be honest now, we are thinking about the future of the Reaper, most of them are extremely bad and unnecessary, they are made by amateurs who are not seen at all DAW. Absurd analog console look, bullshit knobs, eye-killer colors, weird icons, cursors ...they are all useless, we are now in 2018. Eventually before designing Reaper again, pro tools, logic, studio one, ableton have to be explored very well.
I gleened in FL Studio and StudioOne forums, and some users request skinning like Reaper because they admire what is made for it. Ironically, those daw have vector graphics. The grass is always greener elsewhere.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #65
vanhaze

Maybe those graphic calculations can go / go via graphics card ?
That would take burden of CPU.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #66
Paulchen14666

I´d really like to have the possibility to see my inserts in the track panel-so I needn´t to open the different fx windows.
For example:
Paulchen14666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #67
jonboper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulchen14666 View Post
I´d really like to have the possibility to see my inserts in the track panel-so I needn´t to open the different fx windows.
For example:
+1

I'd also like the INFX to disappear unless recording is armed, as it does on some of the themes in circulation.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #68
occultron

I use Reaper in an educational setting and the most common feedback I get from students is that it looks ugly.

Just hitting up screenshots of the top 5 DAW's out there and comparing, I tend to agree.

A matter of taste for sure, but to me Reaper has a lot of that "UI design by engineer" feel to it, like this:

https://www.heirapparent.com/sac/SAC_EyeCandy-modes.gif
occultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #69
jonboper

Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post
I use Reaper in an educational setting and the most common feedback I get from students is that it looks ugly.

Just hitting up screenshots of the top 5 DAW's out there and comparing, I tend to agree.

A matter of taste for sure, but to me Reaper has a lot of that "UI design by engineer" feel to it, like this:

Yikes that's painful...I think Reaper's default is much better than that. But I don't disagree with you.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #70
Georgedayren

Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post

Look at this Reaper theme
https://stash.reaper.fm/29458/Enable...s_12-01-17.png
Georgedayren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #71
LIL_Pay_Pay

The default theme is gross to look at after a while. They need a real interface. Enough with the beta look already.
LIL_Pay_Pay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #72
foxAsteria

I want something super artistic that is simultaneously retro and futuristic.

And how about a theme which includes many options for each element that are all the same size, so even noobs can cobble together an interface look they like without digging into WALTER?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #73
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
A theme that doesn't combine poop brown with pistachio green, topped by a hazy sheen over it all?
As much as it might upset some.. I absolutely agree. The overall colour scheme and contrast/sharpness of the defaults has been pretty ghastly to my eyes too.

What I would love to see is the fx/send rack in the tcp pro tools style - that would be my number one wish.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:50 AM   #74
strachupl

+ Actions on control panels tcp mcp envcp transport (all)
+ extended area of inserts, sends, params in tcp like mcp
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #75
poetnprophet

I have tried dozens of themes. I even bought a couple that I don't even use, mostly because the default is not my favorite EVEN THOUGH IT HAS EVERYTHING I NEED. The problem with some of the other themes is that they take away from the functionality of the default theme. Less useful added layouts (separators, thin/narrow, etc), can't change size of mixers, loss of swipe/stacks like mute/solo when you have folders. The default theme really has all the functionality I want, I even like the bright green meters the best.

the only thing I really don't like of the default theme is the colors. If we could have a dark version as a checkbox (like track coloring), that would be the shizz. Keep all the layouts and all of the functions it currently has, just add a dark grey version.

I'd probably still try dozens of themes...just because...
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #76
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulchen14666 View Post
For example:
You know, another thing Sonar/CW did very well was with the mixer FX list. It would be at default, but would automatically expand as you add more FX. I think there was a limit, maybe 10 before you had to scroll, but it was a nice feature to have it dynamically expand.

Although, with Sonar and other daws there aren't extensive layouts to suit so many needs either, so probably not really necessary anyway. I mean, you couldn't even change the height of just one mixer track like you can in Reaper so never mind...
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #77
vidalsh

the fashion now seems flat d2 and simple without excessive contrasts...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 AM   #78
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post
But really, so much of this green is a bit yucky.
(and that affects your mood..)
Definitely true. I seem to very sensitive to this. Some themes (colour schemes) will make me feel unsettled, some calm. Strange indeed.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #79
mamazai

It's enough to investigate Pro tools.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #80
vsgrt

- A different and non-pistachio palette that doesn't feel like Frasier mixed with the austere dreams of a 90s accountant

- FX list in TCP would eliminate the mixer for most things, saving up a lot of screen estate

- Fixing the font on macOS by setting it to Bold (i can't imagine this taking more than a few minutes to fix but it leaves a horrible impression for newcomers on mac as is)

It's a pretty okay Default theme though overall, but as always with Reaper, the fundamentals are excellent, it just lacks polish, attention to UX-detail and taste. Even though that lack of taste is part of its utilitarian win98 charm!
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote