Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #81
s_sibs
Human being with feelings

^^^^^^

Noted in the logs.

Thanks for the little extra jab at the end too :^)
Rainbow Sounds Recording
s_sibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #82
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Thanks for the little extra jab at the end too :^)
My pleasure
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #83
homemadehitshow

I wrote a full review of this product here

http://show.homemadehitshow.com/2010...ix-review.html

To answer a question I saw earlier, CPU usage is really low with this. However it really is marketed misleadingly since it really does not make mixing easy, you still need to understand the details. A decent product but the message they are sending is wrong.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #84
Sigilus

my problem with this product is, that if it takes off, a whole new spawn of same-sounding records are going to get made.

at least that will make those of us who stand apart... well... stand apart.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #85
Smurf

OK, I have owned it for a few days, and here is my take.....it is a great Preset box, like any other preset you would see on any plugin, it just uses "sets" of plugins to get the job done.

In KAE I had 17 EZM open on various tracks before my meter started hitting the red. In Reaper it was 22. In S1 it was 28. My system is a P4 2.8 with 2gb ram.

Overall, I can see a use for this for sure, the flavors of Reverbs & Comps are worth the price IMHO.

And same-sounding records have been around since the mid 80's, it's been all about formulas & this weeks favorite flavor for decades, so I really don't see this changing that any time soon!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #86
musicroom

Default Chuck Ainlay EZmix Pack

Chuck Ainlay EZmix Pack - Anyone thinking of getting this package from toontracks?

_
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #87
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
Chuck Ainlay EZmix Pack - Anyone thinking of getting this package from toontracks?

_
I always think about getting them, but I've not pulled the trigger on any yet. At least there are a/b comparisons. (and the last one too)

The bucks are not the issue, it's more of the fact that I use ezmix with things like the HP/LP filters, lowfi treatment more than anything else. I know.....you should experiment with the presets in a more "radical" way but I don't want verb, delay, modulation....I'd prefer to add those on a buss/insert.

So my point is I'm always afraid of getting a bunch of verb/delay/mod presets that are not going to be any more appealing than what I already have.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #88
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I always think about getting them, but I've not pulled the trigger on any yet. At least there are a/b comparisons. (and the last one too)

The bucks are not the issue, it's more of the fact that I use ezmix with things like the HP/LP filters, lowfi treatment more than anything else. I know.....you should experiment with the presets in a more "radical" way but I don't want verb, delay, modulation....I'd prefer to add those on a buss/insert.

So my point is I'm always afraid of getting a bunch of verb/delay/mod presets that are not going to be any more appealing than what I already have.
I watched the video and almost pulled the trigger today. I don't have ez mix, so it would be a double buy. Looks intriguing... Maybe.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #89
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
I watched the video and almost pulled the trigger today. I don't have ez mix, so it would be a double buy. Looks intriguing... Maybe.

Thanks
They have a demo for it now, don't they? I'm personally really happy with my ezmix purchase.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #90
DirkBelig

While I'm on TT's mailing list, I've never realized what EZmix was until today and in searching for reviews/thoughts on the product I came across this thread and see a lot of the usual nerd rage/gear snob noise that I used to see at Harmony Central's boards. (e.g. Someone will post, "I live in an apartment and have a newborn and record on a 4-track late at night. Is a POD or Johnson amp sim box better?" and some tone monster jackhole will snarl, "SCREW TEH LINE SUX POO! YOU WANT TONE! NOTHIN BUTT 100 WHAT MARSHEL HAF STAK WIL DO!!!! NO MASTERBAITING VOLUME EYETHER!!!" back at them. Helpful.)

I consider myself a songwriter first and used to whip up demos on my Tascam Porta One to give my band to learn from. It was barebones - a Peavey Pacer amp, cheapo bass, Yamaha RX15 drum machine played by had; all running thru an Alesis MIDIverb II, printing FX to tape, bouncing down and overdubbing. It was primitive, but it sounded decent enough and most importantly, I GOT MUSIC MADE QUICKLY.

Well, after 15 years of use, it gave up the ghost. I wanted to explore hunting a publishing deal and knew I'd need to up my game sonically and production-wise, so about a decade ago I bought a Yamaha AW4416 off eBay for $2200. Waves module, flying faders, it was like the Enterprise in look and power.

I never recorded a single note with it. Money well spent.

I'm not a technical simpleton. Far from it. I build my own desktop computers and work as a PC support tech. But I was totally flummoxed by the thing. It didn't help that the tutorial mix CD was missing, but where I was able to flip a couple of switches and twirl a knob to make something that sounded musical before, I was at a loss with the DAW. The learning curve was a vertical line to me. (It's worthless now and compared to computer recording with Reaper, too clunky to bother with.)

I tried other recording methods. Tracktion appealed to me, but is pretty much orphaned and dead. Cubase confused me. I could do loop-based music in Acid with some competence and have bought every version from the original Acid Music in the late-Nineties thru all the Pro upgrades. (I remember when it was a Sonic Foundry product.) GarageBand is an absolute joke, like everything Apple touches. I bought both the Komplete 5 and 6 bundles, searching in vain to find something that wouldn't get in my way of just creating music. Finally, someone suggested Reaper and while I barely know what I'm doing, I've been able to record a couple of things that sort of sound like music.

The point - and there is one, I assure you - of this ramble is that a big stumbling block for me in recording with Reaper is that none of the presets for all the FX are available to me. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and have been meaning to post here asking for help, but for the time being, getting a quick pile of presets to expedite matters is just what the doctor prescribed. The worst part of my recording experience has been trying to set up FX chains and mixing in the box. Yes, I should and will endeavor to learn how to manually configure my stuff, but the ability to get something that sounds decent QUICKLY will be a godsend. I'll definitely be checking out the demo.

While it's natural for the l337 to sneer at preset stuff*, I think it fills a need for those just looking to make some music sounds and not inclined to be John Connor battling the machines.

* It's like HTML goons who fel that any site not coded in Notepad isn't manly enough (even Amazon?) or car mooks who feel that quick oil change places are just above holding the wife's purse at the mall.
DirkBelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #91
dkeatscary

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Here's a song that was mixed using EZmix exclusively. Well, I did use a UAD de-esser on the lead vocal (no de-esser in EZmix) and a channel EQ in Cubase on the Vocal Reverb but other than that, this is all EZmix. There is also an EZmix on the mix bus with a limiter and tape simulator. After mixing and before making the mp3 I ran it through a UAD Limiter to add about 2.5 dB of level.

I spent about an hour and a half from start to finish. I did mix this song previously using UAD plugins but, I have to say, this mix sounds great...especially for only an hour and a half.

Let me know what you think.

Hundreds of Days
I really like this song a lot. You MUST be a Jeff Buckley fan...don't even!
dkeatscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #92
moio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonehenge View Post
I know I'm sounding a little schizophrenic, especially after giving a thumbs up (with caveats) to Ezmix, but I do think blind, day in and out reliance on something like this is akin to the idea that Diana Krall is a legitimate introduction to jazz. I feel justified in endorsing Ezmix inasmuch as I know and understand the rules, so I know where I can break them, kind of like Harold Robbins and his pulpy, salty languaged novels. What I'm saying is, pay the price and learn the ropes. It's hard work and time consuming, but ultimately rewarding...then you will understand where Ezmix can be of real value. To the wilfully ignorant, it is a knife with two pointy ends. If you want to record and display good music, you will want to understand what you are doing...trust me.
I think that's exactly the point. And if you know what you're doing, you won't need presets. Actually you will even know that they're of no use, because pitch and instrumentation change the rules for every song every time. (Sorry, I hope I don't sound precocious).

I don't know the plugin and maybe there are some presets like reverb etc. that make the workflow easier for those who have less time. But dialing in presets for an instrument in the context of a whole song (which is the only way telling, if an instrument sounds 'good') sounds to me like trying catching flies with eyes closed. I think people might be seduced by the marketing idea of a product that will make all your songs magically sound professional.

Sh.., I'm late to the party, am I?
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #93
BrotherLove

Wow, so many haters - Heres a pluggin thats been developed in world class studios with some of the best designers and engineers, with a bunch of great presets to boot - for $60!! Please tell me you're not upset about that.

Ring Chuck Ainley and ask him how much he would charge to set up a single channel strip on your next recording project.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #94
chrisharbin

I agree with that (though this thread is kinda old)

btw, I would have bought a couple of these packs with my paypal pennies......but they don't take paypal

I'm still thinking about it though.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #95
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLove View Post
Wow, so many haters - Heres a pluggin thats been developed in world class studios with some of the best designers and engineers, with a bunch of great presets to boot - for $60!! Please tell me you're not upset about that.

Ring Chuck Ainley and ask him how much he would charge to set up a single channel strip on your next recording project.
I don;t think its hate, if you are a musician that don;t know his/her way around audio engineering then this plugin is maybe for you, but if you want to make your own productions and have your sound then I don't believe that this is the best way. The ol'days I remember me erasing all presets to my plugins and start from scratch, its refreshing, and we also turned down the computer screen so we can mix with our ears (using a controller or something similar). Also this ezmix functionality is great if you like to mix something fast without much of a hustle.

In the end its not the plugin and the knobs but the person that moves them, and the only big problem I can find in that plugin is that it doesn't give me a lot of knobs when I need them. I would prefer something like iZotope's Nectar, which gives you the usual functionality of a "ready to go" plugin but also offers the advanced mode to further tweek the settings if you wanna "go pro" :-)

Peace!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #96
BrotherLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
...if you are a musician that don;t know his/her way around audio engineering then this plugin is maybe for you.....
plugin but also offers the advanced mode to further tweek the settings if you wanna "go pro" :-).....
Ah, I see, this is another 'if you don't use product X, you're not as pro as me' conversation.
To be super-duper pro bud, you should go back to the days of 1 microphone and big dials on the mixing desk, where all the engineers wore thick glasses and white lab technician jackets.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #97
Joystick

Quote:
Ah, I see, this is another 'if you don't use product X, you're not as pro as me' conversation.
To be super-duper pro bud, you should go back to the days of 1 microphone and big dials on the mixing desk, where all the engineers wore thick glasses and white lab technician jackets.
No, not at all, I men this on the way that if you are pro you probably need all the settings open in front of you, and if you are a musician (don't forget that there is an explosion of musicians using this technology that are not trained as sound engineers) you're not so familiar with everything there so a simpler version might be better for good control. I would never say "more pro" or something like that, just people that have the technical training and people that don't. See my example for the iZotope Nectar. Also I mention this example to spot that there is a target group behind each philosophy of product designs and not to make any distinctions. Its mandatory to understand that I know that to be a pro engineer and want something easy to use or to be a musician starting to use audio technology and want something very advanced also exists, they are not the biggest demographic thought.

That said - no, this is not another 'if you don't use product X, you're not as pro as me' conversation - It's more of a "If you are using it as a pro you should also tweak deeper" :-) And I'm not a keen supporter of the engineers with big knob on old mixing desk, but I like people that know exactly what happens when they turned those knobs.

Cheers mate!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #98
BrotherLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
No, not at all, I men this on the way that if you are pro you probably need all the settings open in front of you...
I think the number of knobs you can twiddle has very little to do with the end result.

If guys like Chuck, or Chris Lord Alge (over at Waves) want to stand behind a product like this, personally Im all for it. As a poster mentioned earlier, its all tools for the arsenal.

If I can drop a pluggin that sounds great out of the box on a track, and it speeds up my editing, dude - thats money in the bank for me.

On the odd occasion a client lets me spread out with all my toys and play with settings all night to get creative, Ive pretty much always found Ive ended up coming back to my initial instincts with a mix. Having lots of stuff to play with dosnt necessarily mean productive engineering.

Im trialing the demo as we speak....I hope I dont have to eat my words
Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #99
Joystick

Quote:
its all tools for the arsenal.
You said it man!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #100
BrotherLove

Hi guys, Ok I've had a very good play around with the demo version of EZ Mix and have my results, mostly good though some interesting quirks.

As an overall pluggin, the built in FXs sounded great, and to be honest if that all there was to consider, I would say buy it based on the value for money here. The reverbs in particular are fantastic - Lexicon good? No, not really, but damn nice and perfectly tailored for the related preset. The delays are very good, however the tape delay had a little too much weirdness going on for my taste. Everything else works well and does its job - the compressors compress, the EQ's filter. Job done.

I'm working on an AC/DC Tribute band recording at the moment, so it was an ideal time to put the plug though its paces in a real-world test. I have a 20 track recording, drums, bass, two guitars and vocals. Here are my findings.

Vocals:

Though EZM feels a little more targeted at pop production, the vocal presets all sound great. On my screaming Brian Johnson vocalist, the best preset was 'Vocal 1', a simple EQ and comp with tape saturation.
I needed to put a second instance of EZM to get the delay sound I wanted. The end result was different to the way I originally mixed it, but I was happy with the sound. Would I print that version? Nope, I would go back to my original mix. The EZM sounded too polished....too modern for my needs.

CPU Overhead:
Orginal mix used - ReaEQ, EpicVerb and Density MKII - 1.1% CPU usage
EZM - used 2 instances - 1.4% CPU

Bass Guitar:

I generally only cut with ReaEQ on the bass however I really like the treatment EZM did to the track. Would I use EZM? Defiantly. It emphasised the bass beautifully and added just the right amount of distortion and compression. Very impressed.

CPU:
Original mix: ReaEQ & ReaComp - 0.8% CPU
EZM - 1.1%

Drums:
Im very particular about drum mixes. I tend to spend way too long micing and mixing drums, when at the end of the day the subtleties of my work tend to be lost under the wall of guitar and bass. Im at odds with EZM on the drums. Technically the drums sound amazing with the EZM treatment....but I hated it. It sounded way too modern. Way too produced. Everything had shine and punch and all that stuff, but for my sound it was way to over the top. I found it quite difficult to reign it in, even using minimal effects the overall end result didnt work for me at all. Having said that, if you were producing a modern pop band, hip hop or the likes - this would be perfect.
Also bare in mind I put an instance of EZM on each track and selected a related preset. What I would probably do is just use it on one or two instruments, like the kick maybe or hats. I really didn't like what it did to the toms - way too over the top compression and EQ. The Overheads sounded thin and toppy.
So final word on drums - if you're doing modern pop, use it. If you're doing old school rock, don't. Either way, don't over use it.

CPU:
Original mix total 9.9% CPU.
preFIX x 6
ReaEQ x 7
Density MK11 x 1
ReaComp x 6

EZM - Used 9 instances totaling 3.5% average CPU

Guitars:
Overall I liked the sound of the guitar treatment more then my original mix, though in the end I wouldn't use it on this project because it suffered from the over-produced sound the drums had. Same opinion here - if you're doing modern guitars, use it - anything else, don't.

CPU:
Original mix: ReaEQ x 2, preFIX x 2, TesllaSE x 2 Total 4.8% CPU
EZM - 2 instances total 1.9% CPU

In closing:

So overall Im really impressed. The plug sound brilliant, and for pure value for money Im going to buy it. In practical terms, its not a one trick fix for your mix. You could just drop an instance on each track and choose a preset, how ever I feel your mix would suffer. If used in a controlled manner like any other VST, it can really bring some polish to your mix overall.

In terms of CPU usage its very good. Considering the plug is running perhaps 4 different effects at once, it is way more CPU friendly then running a comparable amount for other VST effects.

In usage I didn't find it to be particularly 'easy'. I still had to audition each preset then further tailor the closes one to the sound I wanted. Often I needed to add a second or even third instance to get the sound I wanted. The presets aren't arranged well either. Though you can type 'kick' and get all the presets with the word kick in them in the list, often i found another preset sounded better (say Tom 1 for example). At the end of the day you will still need to spend some serious time with this plug to get to know it well.

Personally I prefer Waves CLA approach to 'easy'. They both sound pretty good, but the Waves plug is in my mind a lot easier to use, though admittedly it is $350 more expensive.

Would I buy EZMix - yes, and I did. I haven't brought any expansions for it yet, thought I'd get my head around the original presets first. EZMix could technically be a one-plug mix fix, but it would completly depend on your source. For modern pop I think you could total mix using EZM. For anything requiring more subtle treatment, just a few instances dropped in here and there is all you need.

Hope this helps anyone considering buying.

PS: In case you're wondering what VST pluggins I use, check out Variety of Sound. I pretty much stick to his stuff and the Cockos defaults. I sometimes use my UAD effects, but more often then not these are my go-to guys. (http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #101
Happy Dude

I made a mix using ezmix for all guitar and bass: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11316214

it is heavy downtuned rock

I think this is awesome! I just wanna play, I never learned the fundamentals, so this product is for me. thinking about an expansion pack later on.
Happy Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #102
chrisharbin

the only thing that has turned me off to expansion packs is they are kinda pricy considering the product is 69 bucks on it's own.

If I had a more specific "list" of what is included it would help as I know what I'm looking for (or "not" looking for........)
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #103
Happy Dude

Quote:
the only thing that has turned me off to expansion packs is they are kinda pricy considering the product is 69 bucks on it's own.

If I had a more specific "list" of what is included it would help as I know what I'm looking for (or "not" looking for........)
it has a free 15min demo so you can try out the plugin, and the video reviews on it are pretty extensive.

I got it cause it did more for me than years of fiddling with knobs did and the end result was the best mix for me yet I believe. I am one of those that never reads the manual or learnde dthe fundamentalz tho
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #104
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dude View Post
it has a free 15min demo so you can try out the plugin, and the video reviews on it are pretty extensive.

I got it cause it did more for me than years of fiddling with knobs did and the end result was the best mix for me yet I believe. I am one of those that never reads the manual or learnde dthe fundamentalz tho
Oh, I have ezmix and have had it since the beginning. I'm referring to the addons
Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #105
Happy Dude

Quote:
Oh, I have ezmix and have had it since the beginning. I'm referring to the addons
oops, you probably said that earlier in the thread, sorry for my mistake

I am thinking of getting the metal essential pack - I will prolly get this tommorrow, it will go with my DFH

I am a bit leary about alternative rock pack - I am sure he is a good producer, I would hope it would help my heavy rock style

the rock music stuff is already prolly covered in the ezmix pretty well in comparison to the add ons for rock music
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #106
ivansc

Is there anything more suited to Americana/world music?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #107
Jackster

Default ezy to use - nice results

Bought this one as my own christmas present and was stunned: quick mixes made in little to no time and a very small amount of cpu usage. If you are looking for something, that will help you setting up a reasonable mix in your rehearsal space while the other guys take a smoke, you're right! And it gives you a good idea, of what you should use for the extended mix session. Really love it, as I want to concentrate on making music, not on using plug ins and learning gear science. Recommended for the lazy ones (I love the 3 button approach)! By the way : I use the the songwriters and the rock expansion.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #108
Happy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Bought this one as my own christmas present and was stunned: quick mixes made in little to no time and a very small amount of cpu usage. If you are looking for something, that will help you setting up a reasonable mix in your rehearsal space while the other guys take a smoke, you're right! And it gives you a good idea, of what you should use for the extended mix session. Really love it, as I want to concentrate on making music, not on using plug ins and learning gear science. Recommended for the lazy ones (I love the 3 button approach)! By the way : I use the the songwriters and the rock expansion.
cool man thanks for your insights, Im glad you dig this, getting from point A to B is what I want to do and concentrate on music, I think the expansion would be a good add, same price as 2 cds
Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #109
imispgh

I just bought the basic set and like it very much. May look into some of mthe packs.

A couple points
- First just in case you didn't catch it there is a demo
- Regarding presets being too much help. Yes it can keep you from knowing how to do it all with separate Fx/settings etc. But Reaper Fx have presets. Isn't this just ganging them together and taking it up one level?
- As for some of the presets not sounding right. Keep in mind they do have some control capability and you can save those as custom presets
- No real CPU hit and I use multiple instances
- I think they sound great, there are plenty of choices I will use and the price is more than fair
imispgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #110
Fex

I use EZmix fairly extensively, because I've only been recording for thirty years, and I don't know wtf I'm doing yet. The better my demos get, as real instruments replace the VSTi, the less able I am to mix them so they don't sound like crap.

EZmix is just one more bunch of stuff to come off the tracks before they get rendered for the real mix engineer to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
my problem with this product is, that if it takes off, a whole new spawn of same-sounding records are going to get made.
I don't think so, because it's only a bunch of FX, and the overall sound depends so much more on the source signal.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote