Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Ben Freeman
Human being with feelings

Default can't change my sample rates

Hi all,

VERY green, new reaper/producer user here. Studied for months by reading books and whatnot about production and now I am giving it a go. I recently purchased the M-audio fast track ultra 8r soundcard and I use it with some custom monitors my father built and it sounds great as I open up an audio file in reaper, everything works, sound wise.

What doesn't seem to be working for me is getting my sample rates to change. When I open the preferences dialog box, I want to use ASIO and when I click on the check box for "request sample rate", and then try and type in a new sample rate 88200 or 96kHz which my sound card is SUPPOSED to support, it won't let me enter a new rate in the box. So I try and go into the "ASIO configuration" box which opens my control panel for the ultra. I set the sample rate to 88.2 or 96 kHZ, and everytime I click out of the box (or just hit OK in reaper preferences), nothing happens and my project is still at 44100kHz. And when I go back into my soundcard control panel, it is back to 44100kHz.

I also tried setting the sample rate in the control panel before I open reaper, but that makes the audio break up (with a horrible sound I might add). I am guessing when I do that, the soundcard wants it in the sample rate I gave it, but reaper isn't recognizing. I can't figure this out. I've messed around for 3 hours trying everything and re-reading the user manual (which doesn't say jack about this.) Can't find anything in the search on here either. Anyone help me here? Ben
Ben Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Ben Freeman

What is most annoying me right now is that the box in the -->options
-->preferences,(the box to type in your own sample rate (next to "request your own sample rate") will NOT let me type in anything. I can backspace the 44100 that is already in there, but then the cursor just blinks, and I can't type anything. Clearly I am supposed to be able to type something in there?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
audioguytodd

What audio interface are you using???
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Ben Freeman

uh.... USB 2.0? the card itself is the interface isn't it?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
audioguytodd

Edit- Sorry, my bad. I didn't notice you had it in the first post.

Last edited by audioguytodd; 03-09-2009 at 08:36 PM.
audioguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
audioguytodd

OK, the only thing that comes to mind is that you have not set the wanted sample rate in the Project Settings. Different than in Preferences.

File>Project Settings
You should be on the Audio Settings tab.

Check the check box next to the sample rate and change it to what you want.

If you click OK it will just change the sample rate of your current project. If you save as default it will be the default setting. After you do either of these your sample rate should change (if different).

Make sense???
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

It should work to type numbers into the "request sample rate" box in the Reaper ASIO config window. (You can't type letters in the box though .) It may be that the sound card won't accept the sample rate request though.

What is supposed to happen is that Reaper requests a sample rate and the sound card sets itself to that rate. If the sound card won't accept that rate, you should be able to uncheck "request sample rate", open the sound card controls, and set a legal sample rate there.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
dub3000

if it's anything like the m-audio transit, the sample rate has to be selected from the m-audio control panel before anything starts trying to send audio to it.

if it's breaking up at 88khz, either your computer or USB setup can't keep up with it. i think it's only USB1, actually.

i'd recommend running at 44kHz unless you have a decent firewire device.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
audioguytodd

Yeah, I would recommend running at 24 bit 44.1 khz. After a long journey, that is what works best for me. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

Most likely it's is going to end up as 16 bit 44.1 khz anyway. Or worse- an MP3.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Ben Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
if it's anything like the m-audio transit, the sample rate has to be selected from the m-audio control panel before anything starts trying to send audio to it.

if it's breaking up at 88khz, either your computer or USB setup can't keep up with it. i think it's only USB1, actually.

i'd recommend running at 44kHz unless you have a decent firewire device.

What do you mean by "it's only USB 1"? I'm 99% positive I have USB 2.0 on my computer, and the sound card comes with USB 2.0. It's a relaitvely new 2.4 duel core laptop, it should be able to run at these sample rates with ease shouldn't it? Or is USB 2.0 not quick enough? Does anyone run at 88200 or even 96 kHz? I know I COULD run at 44100 and I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm not even sure it will let me do 24bits. And yes, I have been trying to select different sample rates in the M-audio control panel as previously mentioned but it will not change anything.

I quoted this from musicians friend, about my card:

"High-speed USB 2.0 Technology The Fast Track Ultra 8R utilizes high-speed USB 2.0 technology to deliver the bandwidth for 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution throughout the recording and monitoring process. With a maximum data transfer speed of 480Mbps, this jump in performance allows you to enjoy outstanding sound quality on all inputs and outputs simultaneously."

So what the hell, this isn't doing what it says it can do.

Might I ask, wouldn't working in 44100 reduce the quality of how my work sounds? I am going to be mostly working with synths and samples with occasional mic work.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Ben Freeman

Anyone? I'm still stuck here.

My roommate has reaper as well, and he IS able to type into the box for his sample rate, (in the options--> preferences --> "request sample rate" box) yet I still cannot. He has about as much of a clue as I do about why this isn't able to happen. Oh yea, the noise I got was from changing to an external sync source, not for any sample rate change...(I just forgot about it, till I did it again messing around).

And yeah, I did mess around with the project settings in the file menu, I just forgot to mention it. There I did change the project rate to 88200 and the "project sample rate" box is checked. I close it and reopen the project settings in the file menu and it still says 88200, but the sample rate for the project shown in the right hand corner of the DAW, and in the preferences menu still say 44100. Why is this? DO I actually have 88200 or 44100?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Freeman View Post
"High-speed USB 2.0 Technology The Fast Track Ultra 8R utilizes high-speed USB 2.0 technology to deliver the bandwidth for 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution throughout the recording and monitoring process. With a maximum data transfer speed of 480Mbps, this jump in performance allows you to enjoy outstanding sound quality on all inputs and outputs simultaneously."
sorry, my mistake. most previous m-audio usb gear was only USB1.

either way, USB is never going to be great for low latency/high samplerate stuff - there are lots of technical reasons why, check wikipedia for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Freeman View Post
Might I ask, wouldn't working in 44100 reduce the quality of how my work sounds? I am going to be mostly working with synths and samples with occasional mic work.
every cd you've ever bought is 44100/16 bit. it's really best to work at 44100/24 bit. your mic/preamp/outboard quality is going to have WAY more of an impact on your sound quality than moving up past 44kHz (or 48kHz if you're scoring for DVD).

also look for a program called DPCLAT to check there isn't anything weird on your system messing with USB interrupt times.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Ben Freeman

I ran that DPclat thing, and it gave my computer good results, no droppouts or anywhere close to it. Well in the green. I put a thread on the M audio forum and the guy told me to uncheck the M-audio task bar in msconfig on startup. Didn't do anything.

Ok, so maybe I don't want to record at high sample rates, but I would at least like the option.

Also no matter what I do the right hand corner info in the reaper display says:

44100 Hz 32bit, 2/2ch 1024spls~24ms ASIO

I have yet to get that to change to anything else. Is it supposed to when I change settings?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
dub3000

(you're not syncing to another source over wordclock, are you?)

ok, i just looked at the manual for that thing (looks like nice hardware, actually).

you should be able to set the sample rate from the m-audio control panel, as long as nothing else is using the sound device, and it should definitely update the stuff you're reporting in the reaper toolbar. are you using the most recent drivers etc?

also, have you tried out the 'high performance mode' checkbox in the options on the m-audio control panel? i'd suggest a buffer size of 512 samples, btw.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Ben Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
(you're not syncing to another source over wordclock, are you?)

ok, i just looked at the manual for that thing (looks like nice hardware, actually).

you should be able to set the sample rate from the m-audio control panel, as long as nothing else is using the sound device, and it should definitely update the stuff you're reporting in the reaper toolbar. are you using the most recent drivers etc?

also, have you tried out the 'high performance mode' checkbox in the options on the m-audio control panel? i'd suggest a buffer size of 512 samples, btw.
Not sure what syncing to another source over wordclock means.... I have tried the high performance mode in the control panel...I've tried just about every combination of buttons in the preferences, project settings, and control panel. I am gonna try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them again. If that doesn't work, I am going to try and install reaper and the card on my other computer and see if it works on there. Then I will at least know if it's a computer issue or not. I'll keep ya posted as to the results. Thanks for the help Dub3000, even if I haven't gotten anywhere.