Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
EcBaPr
Human being with feelings

Default question about duplicating midi tracks

if I duplicate a midi track all the clips on track 1 that are repeated clones appear in track 2 as repeating clones of track 1.. so if I edit the first clip on track 1, which maybe has 4 repeats of this clip suddenly track 2 gets all the same edits as the change I just made on the track 1 clip but I only want the edit to affect the 4 clips on track 1 (not the extra 4 on track 2 also)

is there anyway of duplicating track 1 so that track 2 clips don't maintain any connection to track 1 but track 2 still keeps the repeating cloned clips within its own track ?
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Philbo King

Look for 'un-pool midi items' or something like that.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
vassaux

I think you could also "Freeze" the tracks after pasting them into track two.
I don't often let repeats just happen, I tend to paste things in for all the repeats I need.
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
EcBaPr

I can't find a way of doing this ? everything ive looked at with settings regarding midi pooling always keeps the connection to the original source clips..

I have a midi track with maybe 30 clips on it.. there would be around 8 pooled groups throughout those 30 clips. When I duplicate the midi track if I want the horizontal pooling to be maintained on track 2 but no pooled connection vertically from track 1 then the only way I can see to get this happening is manually re copy every clip on track 2 one at a time and only using source clips from the same track.. gotta be a better way ?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
martifingers

Just GLUE the ones you want to be un-edited? I may be misundrstanding your work flow, mind...
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
nofish

Preferences (-> Media) -> MIDI: disable "Pool MIDI source data when pasting or duplicating media items"

edit:
no sorry, this doesn't maintain the horizontal pooling
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
xpander

What messes up the pooling/un-pooling idea here is having pooled copies both on the same track and between two tracks.

I think the easiest fix in this case is to first un-pool all the items (Item: Remove active take from MIDI source data pool (AKA un-pool, un-ghost, make unique).

Then choose all the items on the same track you want to pool together and use the script me2beats_Pool active takes of selected items. Repeat for every separate pool you want to create.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
EcBaPr

cool thanks.. I wasn't aware of that script i'll give it a go.. I feel like making this a FR but i'll refrain as ive put too much in there already..
Old 10-29-2019, 01:54 AM   #9
EcBaPr

I installed the pool active takes script.. it works well for what it does but on the scale I'm using it for the workflow is still slow.. after you duplicate a track and remove the pooled clips between tracks, you then have to manually go through and recreate new pools on track 2 that mirror the originals on track 1. when you are selecting many clips and needing to make sure you haven't missed anything or selected the wrong clip its a slow process which is prone to error.. if anyone knows any other workarounds for this id be keen to find out..

still the script is good.. I was impressed that it was able to reconnect clips with some intelligence.. when you re pool clips it knows which notes correspond properly..

Last edited by EcBaPr; 10-29-2019 at 02:00 AM.