Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Curtis
Banned

Default Musescore

I tried reapers notation once for 30 minutes and gave up on it, this Musescore score is simply great. I created a midi last night with out the frustration of reaper notation.

Sorry reaper I like musescore better.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Reaper's notation functionality was never supposed to completely replace dedicated notation software. Just FYI.

There are certain annoying things in Musescore as well. This video talks about some of them (along some good/great stuff about it).

EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper's notation functionality was never supposed to completely replace dedicated notation software. Just FYI.

There are certain annoying things in Musescore as well. This video talks about some of them (along some good/great stuff about it).

I watched some of it, but it is not version 3 used in the review.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Yes it is. It's mentioned in video description, take a look.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Jason Lyon

Second to ED.

I'm not even sure that we'll ever see the day when a single program will do everything you need - and I'm not sure we need it. But at least for now, DAW options in a scorewriter are a limited courtesy, as are scorewriting options on a DAW. (As are both in an auto-accomp program.)

Of course, it all depends on how you prefer to work, what you want way of a result, etc - but you can hoof MIDI between the programs.

Problem being that a performance imported into eg Sib requires a ton of work to make it look like a proper score and a score imported into eg REAPER requires a ton of work to make it sound like a performance.

Personally, I have a "score head" and a "DAW head". Allows me to focus on different things at different times in the process.

I often work up a score and then perform it into DAW if I need a good quality mockup. If I'm going to put the piece in front of a band for performance or recording, I usually send them the score and the output from Sib to give a really basic gist.

Incidentally, some VSTs are good at auto-accomp, but I sometimes use BIAB to generate bass and drum parts to stitch in on top of score output. The score will have slash notation with bits of specific detail, but only the detail will actually play. Then it's just a case of chopping the BIAB tracks out at the detail points.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper's notation functionality was never supposed to completely replace dedicated notation software.
As long as Music XML is decently supported by both, this does not seem to be a too big deal.

For it's great chord and playback features, I currently use BiaB for printing Lead Sheets, But writing notes in BiaB seems seems very clumsy.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-26-2019 at 07:46 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
Personally, I have a "score head" and a "DAW head". Allows me to focus on different things at different times in the process.
When I'm writing music for others to play, I have a project for the score and a project for the mockup to listen to. I find that simpler than trying to get both to work in the same project.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote