Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #41
LugNut
Human being with feelings

Hi,

Sorry I missed your response. And sorry for the stupid midi command byte thing..its not 8 bytes..what I meant was hui is based on two midi cc messages for every function.

If your looking to customize what controls on the SL do what in reaper mtp is the solution. If you look at my posts when I did my hui to MCU conversion..my name was guido then...you'll see I tried PD..max..oscibot.. But the solution that worked for me was mtp. It can take any midi input and convert and manipulate it and spit it back out. Its not tied to hui..that just what my controller sends.

As far as the display goes..yours is much easier to do than mine...more characters..not based on zones. That's how the MCU is..that's what klinkes spits out. So the conversion should be relatively easier.

BTW I suk at posting

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #42
fundorin
Banned

I can't see which thread you're referring to. The on about "Aliiiiiveee" start with finished translator patch. Am I missing something here?
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #43
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
I can't see which thread you're referring to. The on about "Aliiiiiveee" start with finished translator patch. Am I missing something here?
Hi,

I think it was called..I freakin found the hui docs!....mostly with banned. All I can say is..I guarantee mtp would work. Trust me...its like max for midiots. I can't code.

It seems like you know what you're doing, so once you get past the midi port asignments in mtp, you could do it in a weekend. Next to Reaper the best software investment I ever made. Not fanboy talk.
If you're interested I'll try and help you get some feedback from Reaper/klinkes using the trial version of mtp. Maybe try w lighting up a solo button. I didnt realize in my previous post that the SL doest have motorized faders so no feedback.

I don't know if you're aware of how complete klinkes is. IMHO the easiest and most complete midi feedback from Reaper.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. I just saw that you're not giving up, and our situations were so similar.

Guido

Edit...correction..I didn't actually try max....way over my head.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #44
fundorin
Banned

I'be tried to figure out your mtp preset yesterday.
The problem is that SL and Mackie have different sets of controls.
But what I have, is the second SL controller (mark 1, without leds) and was wondering if it's possible to use controls from both controllers for csurf via mtp.
I didn't found any option setting, that would allow to send midi commands to a particular midi port. Am I right, and this isn't possible?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #45
LugNut

Quote:
I'be tried to figure out your mtp preset yesterday.
The problem is that SL and Mackie have different sets of controls.
But what I have, is the second SL controller (mark 1, without leds) and was wondering if it's possible to use controls from both controllers for csurf via mtp.
I didn't found any option setting, that would allow to send midi commands to a particular midi port. Am I right, and this isn't possible?
Hi,

If your talking about mtp..yes any single translation or a whole preset can be sent anywhere you want. Dbl click on a single translation....outgoing midi tab...send to specific port.

Also as far as number of buttons...what I do is set one button to act as shift...while its held all the other buttons can take on different functions. I have 2 presets in mtp ...one with functions A,and one with functions B. While I hold shift,it goes to B. When released it goes back to A. Simple. I could go on, but:-)

Last edited by LugNut; 10-21-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #46
fundorin
Banned

I've got a .reg file from Novation, which revealed that third, hidden midi port of the controller.
@moss and other script creators used second port with Ableton template.
This hack might give me an ability to communicate with SL MkII via third port and gain access to user/inst/fx/mixer buttons and Speed Dial knob, which aren't available via second port.
Here's the proof:

UPD: And it does! All controls are availabe in Automap template mode (Automap button is lit)
Here we have User, FX, Inst, Mixer buttons pressed. Last three commands are from Speed Dial: touch, turn clockwise one step, untouch.

Last edited by fundorin; 10-30-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #47
Bbk

Fundorin
I am curious how it works and where can I find mentioned .reg file.Please check Your messages folder.
Bbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #48
fundorin
Banned

It's time for you to check YOUR inbox. I've sent it to you 3 days ago.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NvnUsbAudio\Parameters]
"DontHideAutomapPorts"=dword:00000001
Old 08-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #49
SEA

Quote:
I've been using Novation SL Remote 25 for four years and never been able to achieve a fully customizable experience out of it.
Recently I've bought myself Novation 61 SL MK II and now I'm trying to beat this two controllers, so they would do the things that I want.
Automap's HUI support for Reaper is awful. You can only get some predefined transports controls (no FFwd or Rwd) and a several pages of mixer control with faders (vol), encoders (pan) and buttons for arm, solo and mute. All other controls are unavaliable to map via Automap interface.
I'm aware about Padre's CSurf plugin existence and he did a great work, but still, I didn't like any of the templates that come with it. The options to customize them are also very low. So, I want my own templates and I want to get rid of the Automap.
Of cause, you can fully customize your SL controller in so called "Advanced mode", but you won't get LEDs and LCD feedback from DAW by using any advanced mode factory templates or templates that are made by user with MK II Template Editor.
There's one exception from this rule. You can control LEDs by MIDI while SL is in Ableton template. You'll get "Ableton is offline" message on LCD, but if you'll send CC40 message with 1 or 0, you can light the LED of the particular button, which is sitting under the first fader, for example.
I've been able to light up any LED on my MK II, even LED rings around the encoders. There are two ways how those rings will react:
1. CC message value from 0 to 10 lights the ring from left to right
2. CC message value 5 to 1 lights ring to the left from the center and 5 to 9 lights led to the right from the center.
It's also possible to light row select buttons (located to the left) via separate messages or by sending CC96 with values from 1 to 31.

For now, this is where I stuck and need your help.

First of all, I want to describe the idea:
1. SL MK II sends MIDI data to OSCII-Bot.
2. OSCII-Bot converts MIDI data to OSC commands and sends them to Reaper's Control Surface plugin (Open Sound Control).
3. Reaper reacts and sends OSC feedback to OSCII-Bot via CSurf plugin.
4. OSCII-Bot converts OSC feedback from Reaper to MIDI CC commands that would light up the corresponding LEDs on MK II.

So user can only write a script for OSCII-Bot, in which he'll describe, how should Reaper react on MIDI data from MK II.
That's the idea for now. If it'll work, then the next thing'll be adding LCD feedback support. This method can also be extended to other Novation's controllers, such as Impulse or Nocturn.

Now, I have some issues.

First is that I need to modify a custom .syx template, made with Template Editor, using some data header from Ableton's .syx template, so that the custom template's LEDs could be controlled by host, like in Ableton template and the LCD won't show error message.
I have no idea how to do this. I'm not a programmer myself, so the only thing I've noticed is the the header from Ableton's .syx template is different from every other .syx templates (FL Studio, Access Virus and so on).
I think that someone could write and alternative editor for .syx templates of just find, which SYSEX messages are used to enable LED feedback to the controller. Then we can use it to make custom templates for our controllers.

Since .syx template is a plain SYSEX commands, this task shouldn't be hard for an experienced programmer, which I'm not.

After that, user can upload modified .syx template to the controller via MIDI cable or via USB (using Template Editor) and be able to make bi-directional Controller<MIDI>OSCII-Bot<OSC>Reaper chain.

With a proper OSCII-Bot script, user can make himself a multi-paged layouts to control Reaper's transport, mixer, VST's and any other actions avaliable in Reaper. The script can also have a SHIFT buttons to expand avaliable controls and have many other features.

So, here's the idea. What do you think about it? Is it possible to achieve what I want, using SL MK II, Reaper and OSCII-Bot? Any comments will be appreciated.

P.S. English isn't my native language, so I apologize for any stylistic or spelling mistakes.

UPD. Here we have an initial version of Moss's Transformator. A powerful tool for all Novation Remote controllers to use them as a control surface for Reaper. http://mossgrabers.de/Software/Reape...atorRemote.zip
Hey fundorin! I just picked up the 25 SL MK II and using it on top of my desk with my Yamaha P95 88 keyboard (since it doesn't have any controls, just keys).

I also have the Behringer X TOUCH coming next week.

My main use for the 25 SL MK II is for pitch and mode wheel, stop start record, and being able to (and a push of a button if possible) launch my synths, plugs and use the knobs for controlling those VST's and VSTi's. It would also be cool to use the faders for adjusting track volumes etc.

With your configurations is this pretty doable or am I just chasing rabbits here!

Also, what about the Nektar Impact 25 vs the Novation MK II? Are they any better or basically all these controllers have the same work-a-rounds to get them working right?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #50
SEA

Quote:
I've also found a control surface daemon for SL controllers, which is, basically, a self-written Automap substitute for Linux.
It was madу by a guy, named David Greaves. Here's an article about his work - http://technotes-djg.blogspot.co.uk/...ce-daemon.html
Project page at BitBucket - https://bitbucket.org/mixerton/contr...aemon/overview

And here's the archive with source code and documentation of his project -
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ace-daemon.zip
These links do not work.

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #51
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I also have the Behringer X TOUCH coming next week.
I couldn't write an osciibot script for sl, so there's no progress for me in this area. Transformator (link in the first post) works fine for those who are interested.

I suggest you to use X touch as a control surface for Reaper.
My only progress was to be able to reveal the third midi port of the controller, which is used for Automap communication. You can have bidirectional access to (and from) every control (knobs, buttons, encoders, faders, leds) oа the SL.
The only thing needed is to make a script for osciibot to utilize those controls and make OSC control surface from SL or Reaper.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 AM   #52
MikeD

Quote:
Transformator (link in the first post) works fine for those who are interested.
Unfortunately the link in the first post appears not to work: http://mossgrabers.de/Software/Reape...atorRemote.zip

Do you know if the zip is available somewhere else to download?
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #53
airon

Try here:
http://mossgrabers.de/Software/Push/Push.html

I have an old SL61 MK1. I'm fairly happy with it, using chroma knobs for easy targeting, but I do have two DJ Techtools Midifighter Twisters.

Those nice LED rings are going completely unused. I shall take a look at Transformator. Maybe it's a way to get general midi feedback out there.

This is way too much fucking work for a hobbyist dweeb developer like me. I mix for a living .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #54
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
If I've followed this correctly there should be another Transformator for Novation, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 AM   #55
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
If I've followed this correctly there should be another Transformator for Novation, but maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, there was a different one, but I didn't keep it. I'll scan all my hdd's for it now, but you'd better contact Mossgraber to get it directly from him.

P.S. I'veI checked and I don't have it.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #56
MikeD

Quote:
Yes, there was a different one, but I didn't keep it. I'll scan all my hdd's for it now, but you'd better contact Mossgraber to get it directly from him.

P.S. I'veI checked and I don't have it.
I messaged him on Youtube, but unfortunately this was his answer:

Sorry Mike, I only support the Push controllers with Reaper.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #57
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I messaged him on Youtube, but unfortunately this was his answer:

Sorry Mike, I only support the Push controllers with Reaper.
Tell him, that it's possible to use third port and every control of SL with hack. He may be interested, cause, as I remember correctly, he wasn't happy that SL doesn't allow you to utilize bottom right buttons.

You can also PM some other guys in this thread who downloaded Transformator and discussed it here.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 AM   #58
cern.th.skei

Quote:
I've got extra manuals from Novation support, but, to be true, those documents are next level to my understanding. Anyway, here's the link to my dropbox archive - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20material.zip
i know this is a quite old post, but is this available somewhere?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #59
CEART

Quote:
There's one exception from this rule. You can control LEDs by MIDI while SL is in Ableton template. You'll get "Ableton is offline" message on LCD, but if you'll send CC40 message with 1 or 0, you can light the LED of the particular button, which is sitting under the first fader, for example.
I've been able to light up any LED on my MK II, even LED rings around the encoders. There are two ways how those rings will react:
1. CC message value from 0 to 10 lights the ring from left to right
2. CC message value 5 to 1 lights ring to the left from the center and 5 to 9 lights led to the right from the center.
It's also possible to light row select buttons (located to the left) via separate messages or by sending CC96 with values from 1 to 31.
Hi,

I know the description say Ableton, but I wanted to try in Reaper as a simple test to get light up the LED's on my 61SL MkII, I recorded in Reaper a MIDI track with CC 40 and step values from 1 to 10. To send back it to my 61SL MkII I set the track 'MIDi Hardware Output' in 'SL MKII: Port 1' and play, but no LED lights up at all.

Probably I am doing things wrong, but since this stuff is still advanced for me, I'm experimenting while reading info about that.

What I want can be achieved without automap just with advanced mode in the 61SL MkII?

What port configuration should be set in 61SL MkII to receive MIDI CC from Reaper?

Thanks on any help.

Last edited by CEART; 08-19-2019 at 10:39 PM.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote