Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #41
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjedidiah View Post
The point for me would be being able to turn it on and off with one MIDI controller button (i.e., globally). No guess work or mistakes made by accidentally leaving it off or on when not desired because it's ONE button (not 16 tracks with per-track quantize). I don't know if I explained that well.
That does make more sense but how do you handle having both?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #42
plamuk

Quote:
I just re-read that post 3X and I still don't understand how "Global Input Quantize" is different from putting it on all the tracks you need it on.
i think djjedidiah put it well. it's a speed feature. it's something you can change quickly and on the fly. per-track input quantization is not as elegant or flexible (and not midi-controllable).

Quote:
That does make more sense but how do you handle having both?
both track and global input quantization? i can see benefits to either having precedence, and think it should be optional but by default track overriding global.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #43
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
i think djjedidiah put it well. it's a speed feature. it's something you can change quickly and on the fly. per-track input quantization is not as elegant or flexible (and not midi-controllable).
It would only be elegant or flexible if it was created that way. IOW - if it had actions to go with it. Actions that could be added to the track based version we have now. No?

Simply select the tracks you want it on (or just select all) and either open the dialog (to tweak it) or simply toggle it on and off. It seems to me that per track would be more flexible because you could use different settings for different tracks.

A button on the TCP might be a nice addition as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
both track and global input quantization? i can see benefits to either having precedence, and think it should be optional but by default track overriding global.
So similar to automation?

I don't think it's a bad idea (especially if can see it on the transport) but I can see improvements added to the track based version helping as well.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #44
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2000 View Post
I'm sure they are aware that many users would like to see this feature added soon.
Soon my arse! 10 years since this thread and still no global input quantize. Disappointing. But this is one of the many reasons I started using other DAWs and skipped the v5 and v6 upgrades completely. I see a lot of work has gone into Reaper, but IMO it's going mainly into the super geeky features that benefit 0.0001% of the user base. I used to have high hopes for Reaper and I still check back every now and then but it's clear the my needs and Reaper are heading in different directions.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #45
AtmanActive

Honestly, couldn't care less if there is global MIDI input quantize as opposed to per-track input quantize that exists right now.

Rewriting latency compensation engine so that I can run 200 tracks instead of 100 tracks, means a world to me.

Hence, average end-user's wishlist priorities are unfathomable. The only thing devs can do is follow their own gut feeling.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:54 AM   #46
Triode

Do these actions not do the trick? What am I missing?

Old 11-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #47
Pink Wool

What does this have to do with pre-releases?
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #48
foxAsteria

While you're waiting, why not turn on that metronome and work on your timing?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #49
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post

Those make life easier, but there is no global on/off indicator to show, visually, the current state of input quantise for all tracks, which creates extra work since you have to explicitly activate it or deactivate it before you click record in case it's in the wrong state.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #50
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
REAPER's input quantize -- you hear what you play in realtime, but midi is recorded with quantize settings applied

"global input quantize" -- as you play, your midi is late-quantized, and midi is recorded with quantize settings applied.

Quote:
there is no global on/off indicator to show, visually, the current state of input quantise for all tracks, which creates extra work since you have to explicitly activate it or deactivate it before you click record in case it's in the wrong state.
that's not true - you could use an icon for "Track: Toggle MIDI input quantize for all tracks" in a toolbar to see whether the toggle action is on/off. NOTE, you can't put a main-screen toggle action in the MIDI editor toolbars, though, so this wouldn't work if you use a fullscreen MIDI editor.

for my purposes, a small toolbar button wasn't obvious enough visual feedback. i wanted an LED to indicate on my controller whether INQ is on/off. so, i cobbled together a dummy JS osc communication with Bidule that turns an LED on/off whenever REAPER's input quantize is enabled. if the purple light is on, INQ is on. this is a hack, but once it got baked into my default project's SYS folder (which handles midi io, etc), it works really nicely.

Quote:
While you're waiting, why not turn on that metronome and work on your timing?
timing "assistance" is not the explicit purpose of this FR. this is also used to trigger a sequence, sample, etc ahead of time. it also has useful programmatic implications for handling incoming control midi.

Quote:
What does this have to do with pre-releases?
nothing, it belongs in FR

Last edited by mccrabney; 11-07-2020 at 09:14 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #51
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
REAPER's input quantize -- you hear what you play in realtime, but midi is recorded with quantize settings applied

"global input quantize" -- as you play, your midi is late-quantized, and midi is recorded with quantize settings applied.

that's not true - you could use an icon for "Track: Toggle MIDI input quantize for all tracks" in a toolbar to see whether the toggle action is on/off. NOTE, you can't put a main-screen toggle action in the MIDI editor toolbars, though, so this wouldn't work if you use a fullscreen MIDI editor.
I stand corrected. Just tried that and it worked, almost 100% perfect. The only exception is when you manually set input quantize on a per-track basis, and then, even if you set it to ON on all tracks but one at a time, the toggle button doesn't reflect the fact, but I guess that's alright because it works fine if I only use the toolbar button which is what I would do anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
for my purposes, a small toolbar button wasn't obvious enough visual feedback. i wanted an LED to indicate on my controller whether INQ is on/off. so, i cobbled together a dummy JS osc communication with Bidule that turns an LED on/off whenever REAPER's input quantize is enabled. if the purple light is on, INQ is on. this is a hack, but once it got baked into my default project's SYS folder (which handles midi io, etc), it works really nicely.
Honestly that sounds super neat ATM REAPER mappings are one-way (REAPER doesn't send LED feedback), and if it did I imagine your set-up would be much easier to implement.

I am aware REAPER is extremely flexible and capable but it's not always immediately obvious or requires workarounds that lie at the end of a rabbit hole, which scares me.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #52
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
ATM REAPER mappings are one-way (REAPER doesn't send LED feedback), and if it did I imagine your set-up would be much easier to implement.
tldr, REAPER doesn't send midi feedback as such, but it can send track/fx specific OSC feedback that can be told to generate midi-based LED feedback in Bidule - so a dummy JS with a learned binary parameter slider can toggle midi notes ON/OFF.

setting this up is a once-and-done affair, but yes, it'd be way easier with 2-way mapping with devices like these, and would be great for all of the blinky control surfaces that get associated so keenly with Ableton.

Quote:
I am aware REAPER is extremely flexible and capable but it's not always immediately obvious or requires workarounds that lie at the end of a rabbit hole, which scares me.
it's only wasted time if there are things you'd rather be doing. for me, it's been a massive opportunity.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote