Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
funkydrum
Human being with feelings

Default (Solved) Mackie Big Knob Studio problem

Problem solved: It was a hardware problem... The replacement unit works fine again as the first one did in the beginning.

Hello,

anyone having a Mackie Big Knob Studio can help me out, please?

I’m running out of ideas what to check next, perhaps somebody can give me a hint to find the eventually obvious mistake:

My stereo master track is assigned to stereo output, however the left channel signal only seems to arrive via USB to both (left and right) channels of my Mackie Big Knob Studio. This seems to happen independently from REAPER, also with Audacity using WASAPI instead of ASIO interface, I have the same phenomenon.

I'm currently running REAPER v6.14/x64 under Windows 10, all up-to-date. Big Knob Asio Driver is Mackie USB Driver v4.67_0

What I tried and checked already:
- I double checked same Big Knob with Reaper v6.13/x64 from a notebook (different computer) using a different USB cable, different REAPER project, yet getting the same result.
- Double checked with RODE AI-1 USB interface, no problem at all on both computers.
- I bought the Big Knob in June, I had some issues in the very beginning, but then everything went well for several month. For example, I did pan signals using the Big Knob, so I tend to exclude the problem was there from the beginning without me noticing.

Any hint is apreciated. Thanks!
Funkydrum

Last edited by funkydrum; 10-24-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Solved
funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
jmccaNNA

Default Me Too with issues on Mackie Big Knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydrum View Post
Problem solved: It was a hardware problem... The replacement unit works fine again as the first one did in the beginning.

Hello,

anyone having a Mackie Big Knob Studio can help me out, please?

I’m running out of ideas what to check next, perhaps somebody can give me a hint to find the eventually obvious mistake:

My stereo master track is assigned to stereo output, however the left channel signal only seems to arrive via USB to both (left and right) channels of my Mackie Big Knob Studio. This seems to happen independently from REAPER, also with Audacity using WASAPI instead of ASIO interface, I have the same phenomenon.

I'm currently running REAPER v6.14/x64 under Windows 10, all up-to-date. Big Knob Asio Driver is Mackie USB Driver v4.67_0

What I tried and checked already:
- I double checked same Big Knob with Reaper v6.13/x64 from a notebook (different computer) using a different USB cable, different REAPER project, yet getting the same result.
- Double checked with RODE AI-1 USB interface, no problem at all on both computers.
- I bought the Big Knob in June, I had some issues in the very beginning, but then everything went well for several month. For example, I did pan signals using the Big Knob, so I tend to exclude the problem was there from the beginning without me noticing.

Any hint is apreciated. Thanks!
Funkydrum
James Here. I was excited to purchase the Big Knob but Reaper will not even load when I have it plugged in to the USB port. If I unplug the Big Knob Reaper loads. Using driver from Mackie.

Samplitude and Audacity work fine with the Big Knob.

Anyone figure this out?
jmccaNNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
jmccaNNA

Default Fixed

Hi,

The Big Knob Studio installation guide online says to plug in the Knob, turn it on, install the driver software and then unplug and replug the device before use.

The installation software driver pack does not have this last part. I don't know why it matters but I have it working now.

Prior to unplugging and replugging the unit, Reaper would crash (close) as soon as I turned on the Knob.

Weird.

Anyway, she is working now.
jmccaNNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
funkydrum

Default try different USB ports

Hello James,

to unplug and replug a USB device after driver install is a good advice in general - and to be patient:
I remember, I had some difficulties to get my Big Knob working first time, too. It would not want to work properly on the first USB port I randomly chose (a blue 3.0 type directly on the motherboard). Tried with updated driver, tried all settings, tried with REAPER, VLC, did reboot, etc - nothing worked, I kept having noises and artefacts.
Slept it over and next day tried again, on a (newer) laptop. There it worked instantly. Then tried once again on the first computer, this time by convenience a USB 2.0 plug accessible from the front. It worked properly instantly this time. Then tried the first USB slot again, it worked as well, too. I could not reproduce the problem.
Solution seems to have been: don't panic and sleep it over...
Big Knob has been working fine since then, even with ASIO4ALL and second and third audio interface connected and in operation simultaneously and using a USB hub, despite manual saying all this was not supported.
Until this left/right channel problem described in the beginning of the thread popped up. Tried again everything including sleeping it over, started my thread, contacted Mackie support who suspected a hardware problem. I sent Big Knob back to dealer on warranty, who did send me a replacement unit quite quickly. Works fine and I'm again happy with it.

cheers Funkydrum
funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote