Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
capn slugo
Human being with feelings

Default Pitch Ribbon as master transpose.

Trying to use a 14 inch soft potentiometer (pitch ribbon) as a master MIDI transpose function (NOT as a standard pitch bend function). I'm using a Midi expression interface series of PIZ midi and reaper midi utilities to convert midi CC to automate the transpose MIDI utilities. It works great but the problem is when the potentiometer is released it goes back to a reading of zero. I've had a slight bit of luck using a MIDI CC Range Filter to eliminate zero and low values but can't get the setup to behave even remotely consistently after trying countles combinations of utilities.

Anyone know if there's a code that can detect and hold the last value before the soft pot is released (omiting zero and every value in between) and how I could apply it?

Thanks -any help would be greatly appreciated.
capn slugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
mschnell

Is this for Live playing or for Midi editing ?

If Live, a set of JSFXes can help: One as an input analyzing the data from the Ribbon, one in each appropriate (to be transposed) track for transposing in semitones (if this is what you want to accomplish rather than Pitchbend).
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:49 AM   #3
capn slugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Is this for Live playing or for Midi editing ?

If Live, a set of JSFXes can help: One as an input analyzing the data from the Ribbon, one in each appropriate (to be transposed) track for transposing in semitones (if this is what you want to accomplish rather than Pitchbend).
-Michael
Thanks

It's for live situations. I already have a MIDI CC transpose function(NOT in semitones)automated and working perfectly across all the tracks in my template. I'm using Touch OSC screen/wifi devices to control it BUT I would much prefer to have a long soft pot to be used for this task.

I set it up like I described above and it works great but when the potentiometer is released it goes back to a reading of zero and the transpose goes to it's lowest setting. I've tried numerous midi utilities to filter out the pot's zero reset with no luck in making it work consistently. I suspect JSFXes might do the trick but I'm not sure where to start as to what code to put in and how and where to put it in. Perhaps someone has written a code into a JS that does exactly this task.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn slugo View Post
I already have a MIDI CC transpose function(NOT in semitones)automated and working perfectly across all the tracks in my template. I'm using Touch .
Sorry, As I am not familiar with Touch/OSC (which obviously is not Midi and hence not directly accessible by JSFXes, and don't see how a "transpose function(NOT in semitones)" can exist (other than in Midi MPE), I can't understand nor help.

-Michael
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
capn slugo

Quote:
Sorry, As I am not familiar with Touch/OSC (which obviously is not Midi and hence not directly accessible by JSFXes, and don't see how a "transpose function(NOT in semitones)" can exist (other than in Midi MPE), I can't understand nor help.

-Michael
I'm simply sending conventional MIDI over the Touch devices with my other conventional MIDI devices including the soft potentiometers to control the automaton.
I am not using OSC for anything(The name of the program/interface happens to be "Touch OSC")

So I am using straight conventional MIDI CC values to control the transpose automation. These work in musical half step incriments and NOT what I would think of or call "semitones" (pitches between notes that would exist if I was using pitch bend)

I simply need a way to filter out the automatic zero cc value reset of the input of the potentiometer when it's released.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
mschnell

Supposedly the "Potentiometer" works relative. It sends the value denoting the difference between the current position and the point it had been touched at.

What kind of midi data does it send (Note-On, CC or pitchbend messages) ?

-Michael
Old 10-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
capn slugo

Quote:
Supposedly the "Potentiometer" works relative. It sends the value denoting the difference between the current position and the point it had been touched at.

What kind of midi data does it send (Note-On, CC or pitchbend messages) ?

-Michael

I'm simply using MIDI CCs 0-127 from the pitch ribbon/potentiometer via standard midi interface) to automate the transpose function over a two octave range.

when I release the pitch ribbon/potentiometer it resets to zero and reverts to the lowest note.

I simply want the pitch ribbon/potentiometer value to hold indefinitely when it is released so it stays at the selected transpose position. (and filter all following CC data) until it's touched again

I've had limited success with some stock MIDI utilities, filtering out zero , but after hours of experimentation I haven't been able to get the setup to work consistently.

I hope there might be a way to this with a JS script. I don't know how to edit JS but I'm willing to try to learn.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn slugo View Post
I simply want the pitch ribbon/potentiometer value to hold indefinitely when it is released so it stays at the selected transpose position. (and filter all following CC data) until it's touched again
For this you would need to have the ribbon send additional distinguishable events for "touched" and "released".

My Seaboard Rise 49 sends Note-On / Note Off events when using it's "Ribbon" in a similar way.
-Michael
Old 10-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #9
capn slugo

Quote:
For this you would need to have the ribbon send additional distinguishable events for "touched" and "released".

My Seaboard Rise 49 sends Note-On / Note Off events when using it's "Ribbon" in a similar way.
-Michael
https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=38321

This forum (above) has someone looking for similar functionality (for a different purpose)

I need to get this to work as I'm describing for an instrument I'm building so I've ordered another set of soft pot interfaces from Spark Fun to insert the code discussed in the forum into.

I suspect a similar code could be used in a JSFX