Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
D Rocks
Human being with feelings

Default [Solved] MIDI Editor insert note with pen tool doesn't follow Channel mapping

Hello,

I am using one instance of Kontakt 5 with 8 MIDI tracks that are each input mapped to a unique MIDI channel (channel 1 to 8).

Kontakt receives my keyboard inputs on the correct channels but when I am in the MIDI Editor and having a specific MIDI item selected, then the pen note creation tool inserts a MIDI note that is not mapped to the channel of this MIDI item.

For example: MIDI track 8 is mapped so that it's input goes to the 8th MIDI channel in kontakt and it triggers the instrument that is linked to channel 8.
But if I create a note with the pen tool, the note triggers the MIDI channel 1 only.
If I play the keyboard the created midi notes will be correctly sent to the mapped input.

Please help me sort it out, I know it sounds complex, but I don't know why its doing that.

Thanks

Last edited by D Rocks; 11-19-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: solved
D Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
xpander

Use the filter to select the channel you want to use for each item the first time you draw into them. You might notice there's a box saying "Draw events on channel...". When you have done this channel selection and drawn to each item on their respective channels, select "All" in the channel box.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
D Rocks

Hey Thank you for your reply xpander.
It made me wonder what you were talking about as I was not aware about that.

So I digged in and finally I found something that works and is most probably the way we are supposed to do it. I was doing something wierd and I guess that's why the mapping was messed up between the tracks and the midi editor.

Good way using only the send setups: "all midi inputs sends to channel 1-8" to kontakt

Bad method I had problems with:
Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
Hey Thank you for your reply xpander.
It made me wonder what you were talking about as I was not aware about that.
Sorry D Rocks, I was probably not that clear with my answer. I meant MIDI filter, accessible from the MIDI editor toolbar. But you already found a way to do it, so that's good.

xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
D Rocks

Thank you again xpander.

I have looked at it and the wierd thing is that with the previous method I've found, this filter dialog indicates that events are written to channel 1 on each different MIDI item, but in fact it does work correctly as I intend. It sends the events correctly to the channel I assigned with the send configuration of the MIDI tracks.

So I tihnk the bottom line is that I don't even know what MIDI mapping is in relation to simply assigning a MIDI track to a MIDI channel.

Any ways, I'm glad it's working rn. This mapping and event filter thing is interesting tho, that's why I'm still curious.