Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
pbattersby
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI item trim control instead of item velocity control?

For a waveform in the track control display, there is a line on every item that I can drag to adjust the volume. For a MIDI item, this same line adjusts the MIDI velocity.

That line is convenient because I can select multiple items and adjust their volume/velocity simultaneously. For example. I may have 2 tracks where their volume relative to each other is good, but they are both too loud. Adjusting their volumes individually risks altering their relative volume to each other.

I'm now in a situation where my sample library does not use velocity to control MIDI volume. That's handled by the MOD wheel.

My question: Is there a way to change the item velocity control line, into a trim control line? Or, is there a way that I can select multiple independent automation items and simultaneously increase / decrease their values? I don't want pooled automation items because the automation items still need to be otherwise independent.

[EDIT] I suspect I haven't explained the issue very well. Let me try it like this:

Is there a way, I can adjust CC1 (simply raise or lower all values) in an envelope lane, in the track control view, of multiple MIDI items simultaneously while keeping the CC1 automation items, or envelope points, otherwise independent?

If I could control-click select multiple automation items and then drag their points in unison, this would solve my problem but it seems I can't do that.

[EDIT2] Adding an image

I'm looking to either simultaneously select automation items 6 and 8 in the following image, and drag them both up and down, or better still, I'd like the line indicated by the arrow to be settable to control trim instead of velocity. I can already add a volume line to the MIDI item but adjusting the volume for a MIDI item in this way, has no effect.

Last edited by pbattersby; 01-23-2018 at 01:52 PM.
pbattersby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
dug dog

You can put JSFX MIDI Velocity Control on the track and then add an envelope to control the "velocity add" parameter.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
You can put JSFX MIDI Velocity Control on the track
Thanks but, velocity automation doesn't help me because velocity does not control volume in my particular MIDI library. I know I can create a trim automaton lane but the problem also remains that if I create an automation item, I can't select multiple automation items and control them simultaneously.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
dug dog

My bad. Sorry.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
Philbo King

Wow, using the MOD wheel to control volume? Strange, to say the least.

The problem is that velocity is NOT a CC (continuous control) in MIDI, it is a note property. The data from each note has both note number and velocity (corresponding to how hard the key was hit). Otherwise you could simply use the JS: MIDI CC Mapper plugin to convert the data to Mod Wheel data.

You probably will need to put the items on separate tracks, and assign a separate midi channel to each track, then create MOD wheel control envelopes for each.

It might be worth trying the Midi Volume control (CC 7) to see if that works. But, again, the Volume controller is midi channel specific, so if you want them to have different levels you'll still need to assign them separate midi channels.

If this is a VSTi you can simply remix the audio as it comes from the synth, instead. Might be worth a try.

Good luck!
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #6
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Wow, using the MOD wheel to control volume? Strange, to say the least.
Why? I've seen various libraries that use a slider for volume control. Why not the MOD wheel since it's not being used for anything else and it's more common to find a MOD wheel than to find sliders on a MIDI controller?

In this case, the MOD wheel controls both the volume and a dynamic cross fade between samples. Seems to me like a natural and realistic way to control the sound. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
The problem is that velocity is NOT a CC (continuous control) in MIDI
But controlling velocity is not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to control a volume (trim) envelope automation item on multiple MIDI items.

When velocity was being used to set the volume of each note, I could drag the line in the middle of a MIDI item in the track control view and reduce the velocity (volume) of all notes in that MIDI item. If I selected multiple MIDI items, I could adjust the velocity (volume) of multiple MIDI items.

Now if I want to adjust volume (more specifically the trim), I need an automation lane and preferably an automation item. That's no problem. But I'd like it if one of two things were possible. I'd like to change the line in a MIDI item from controlling the velocity, to controlling the volume (trim) of the item OR I'd like to be able to select multiple automation items and raise / lower their values together.

Maybe I should restate my issue like this, simplifying it. Is there a way, I can adjust CC1 (simply raise or lower all values) of multiple MIDI items simultaneously while keeping the CC1 automation items, or envelope points, otherwise independent?

I'm going to add the above paragraph to my original post because I don't think I originally explained what help I need, well enough yet. Hopefully the above paragraph helps.

Last edited by pbattersby; 01-21-2018 at 06:24 AM.
pbattersby is offline   Reply With Quote