Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
VVV
Human being with feelings

Default Media Explorer

Media explorer improvement is happening in pre release.

If you have suggestions, it would be better to have one thread for all the Media Explorer FR.

Mine was slice in preview and "insert portion in selected item." action
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
VVV

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206724
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
VVV

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=171487
Old 07-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
alexgameaudio

I also made some requests in a pre-release thread. I want to use Media Explorer to pull from SFX libraries, so my requests are based around that: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....17#post2312017

Feature requests
- Tree/Directory browsing in left pane (especially for databases)
- Dim/mark files that have been listened to
- More extreme limits for rate/pitch. I want to be able to set the playback rate to something like 5%
- Ability to reverse item being previewed

Nitpicks
- Item in list should stay highlighted, even if i click on the preview waveform
- Option to change pitch/rate knobs to sliders. I'm going to tweak these all day, every day, and never touch the volume slider.
- Option to NOT reset playhead after playback. Currently it will reset itself to the beginning of the file.
- When I close Media Explorer and reopen it, it doesn't recall what I had searched/selected.

I pay $180/y to use Soundly, and right now Media Explorer is looking better and better, especially if the feature requests above are taken into consideration. My sound library is closing in on 100,000 wavs, it's a pretty huge list to scroll through.

Last edited by alexgameaudio; 07-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.
alexgameaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:00 AM   #5
tapemelancholy

Default Action to remove files in Media Explorer by shortcut press

FR - add an action to delete files directly from Media Explorer
FR - add an action to rename files directly from Media Explorer

It will be super handy for sample management. There are such options in mouse dropdown menu to move files to trash but I can't find it in action list.

Last edited by tapemelancholy; 07-03-2020 at 05:19 AM.
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:26 AM   #6
VVV

Default request from pitchslap

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....media+explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Coming up to v6 and 9 years for my original Media Explorer requests thread for v4, I thought I'd create a new thread for “low-hanging fruit” FRs which are improvements I (still) think would either greatly extend the creative potential of the Media Explorer, or improve it's workflow with minimal development resources/time.
  • Allow additional Media Explorer instances with independent settings so more than one file location can be open at once. Even without any other improvements to the ME we already have this would be HUGE.
  • When the “play through selected track” option is selected, it's crucial that the volume slider work for gain-staging properly into the FX chain and previewing in a mix context.
  • When inserting an item to a project it's item volume should match the preview volume (compensating for default new track volume when applicable).
  • The pitch control should also work for transposing MIDI files.
  • Tempo Match flexibility. The current half, 1 and 2x are fixed options, /2 and x2 are functions (which could just as easily be 0.25 or 8x while taking up the same UI space).
  • Reverse playback toggle action. So many creative possibilities.
  • Option to sort files in a folder/database/search result randomly.
  • "Zoom to Selection" / "Zoom Out Full" actions.
  • Increase/Decrease Peaks View Gain actions for selection accuracy.
  • Allow recording Media Explorer playback to tracks when "play through selected track" and "record: output" settings are enabled. This would allow ME experimentation to be recorded directly to the timeline (mitigating many many of the limitations the other FRs are meant to address).
  • Snap to Beat option. This is the logical extension of the game-changing snap to bar option. Especially useful for previewing drum/percussion samples and creating polyrhythms. Hopefully would also avoid the issue where smaller selections pause at the end and repeat at the next bar rather than continuously loop as intended.
  • Tab to transient with modifiers for making selections.
  • When previewing a selection, the loop points usually click and it's almost impossible to avoid manually.
    There should be an option for selections to snap to zero-crossings or the start/end points should be auto-faded to prevent clicking during preview. When creating a new file from a selection, extending the new item (looping) causes clicking at every loop point currently needing external editing to avoid. Micro-fades would avoid this.
  • Modifier key + right-click on the pitch knob should increase by 1 semitone, modifier key + left-click should decrease by 1 semitone.
  • When dragging onto the timeline, apply time-stretching to the ghost so we can accurately place files(example).
  • When creating a new file from a selection, optionally apply the Media Explorer pitch-shift value to the new item (non-destructively).

Modern CPUs can easily handle real-time pitch/time-stretching and having the current default algorithm “baked in” to the file not only prevents tweaking of the options we have now, but also taking advantage of future algorithm improvements.
  • Make the Media Explorer part of the core program and/or expose API functions so extension creators can add features! I'd gladly pay someone else for some of these features.
  • Tree-list for folder shortcuts and databases for improved organization.

Feel free to add your own ideas as well. The main idea is the greatest improvement for the least amount of coding.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:30 AM   #7
VVV

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239493
Old 07-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
VVV

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239155
Old 07-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #9