Old 07-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Fex
Human being with feelings

Default How to connect wireless headphones?

I have borrowed a whopping big LG TV from one guy, a PC running Windows 10 from another, and a pair of modernhome STUDIOPRO (LOL) Wireless Headphones from a third.

I didn't request any of this. I seem to suddenly have an abundance of friends with too much gear. No, really, I didn't steal any of it. I'm used to working with a laptop, and using Reaper with a three foot monitor is a dream.

The cans work perfectly well when connected to the audio interface via a cable.

Given that I have no clue about Blueteeth (all four of my teeth are brown) or wiffy (prolly oughta take a shower), can someone give me idiot-proof instructions for connecting the headphones remotely to either the TV or the computer? I've tried Googling it, and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm not even sure what it is that I'm trying to do in order to do what I'm trying to do.

Thanx.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
serr

There will be a bluetooth driver/app you install to connect to those phones. That will be an option to choose in your OS audio device list. It will look and respond like any other audio device.

To use multiple audio interfaces in Reaper (your usual interface + the blutooth output), create an aggregate device of both with your OS audio utility. Select the aggregate device in Reaper instead of one of the single devices.

You'll need to look up a couple more things about aggregate device creation. Setting the master sample rate clock for the system, etc. There's the part where this is apparently still difficult in Windows after all that. And then the punchline is that bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for full audio. You'll have squeaky lo-grade audio as a reward for fighting with all that.

Choose your adventure.

PS. If you were trying to connect multiple pro interfaces that each had word clock connections, this would all make more sense and you'd be golden.
Seems borderline silly for lo-fi bluetooth phones.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Fex

Thanks for the reply. All good info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
There will be a bluetooth driver/app you install to connect to those phones.
I Googled for a suitable driver, but I didn't get very far. However, the headphones are being detected: I just found them listed under "Other Devices" (not "Audio") under Windows "Bluetooth & Other Devices" settings, and they're not currently connected by USB (or audio cable, or anything I can touch.) Can I take that to mean that I don't need any further driver?

Most instructions insist that Bluetooth is switched on in Windows: I presume that it is (I'm not sure how you're supposed to check) because it's detecting the headphones, and because I'm typing on a wireless keyboard (it's connected, I think, by a thingummy in a USB port which looks like a memory stick - the headphones apparently came with nothing similar).

Most instructions insist that the headphones be switched on. There's no "On" switch that I can see.... but they work via audio cable, so I guess they're on.

Quote:
That will be an option to choose in your OS audio device list.
Not yet.... under Sound settings, I have a choice of two outputs - "Speakers UCO2" (TV Speakers) and "Speakers USB Audio Codec" (audio interface).

Quote:
To use multiple audio interfaces in Reaper (your usual interface + the blutooth output), create an aggregate device of both with your OS audio utility. Select the aggregate device in Reaper instead of one of the single devices.
This is gold. You're teaching me how to run! Now, if I could only walk....

Quote:
And then the punchline is that bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for full audio. You'll have squeaky lo-grade audio as a reward for fighting with all that.
OK, so no Reapering (Reaping?) then. I'd still like to listen to spoken word mp3s....
Old 07-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Fex

Ok, please ignore all the above (for now). I've just found a manual and, erm.... turned the headphones on.