Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Alkamist
Human being with feelings

Default Decoding 1st order Ambisonic to stereo with a 3dB pan law?

I just learned about Ambisonic and I'm considering mixing with it so I can render binaural recordings. I would like to be able to fold down to traditional stereo, but I've noticed that the traditional stereo decoder that comes with the Ambisonic Toolkit for Reaper folds down with a 6 dB pan law if set to a 90 degree angle. This is fine for an anechoic chamber, but I believe a 3 dB pan law is much more ideal for most listening environments.

I was wondering, is it possible to decode a 1st order Ambisonic mix to have a 3 dB pan law? I know you can get close by narrowing the angle in the decoder, but then you start losing information in the front-back channel. Any help is appreciated.
Alkamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Have you tried the stereo decoder in the TOA suite from Blue Ripple Sound? I have it and it works well but I haven't checked the pan laws. The only thing about the TOA stereo decoder is that it doesn't seem to decode height information.

http://www.blueripplesound.com/products/toa-core-vst
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Alkamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Have you tried the stereo decoder in the TOA suite from Blue Ripple Sound? I have it and it works well but I haven't checked the pan laws. The only thing about the TOA stereo decoder is that it doesn't seem to decode height information.

http://www.blueripplesound.com/products/toa-core-vst
I did try it. For some reason it puts out a mono signal whenever I try to use it though. I guess it might have something to do with it being a third order decoder. I can't seem to find a third order encoder in their core set.

Thinking more about it I'm not entirely sure there is enough information contained in first order Ambisonics to do anything involving pan law.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
ReaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkamist View Post
I did try it. For some reason it puts out a mono signal whenever I try to use it though....
Are you sure you were using the stereo version? There are three decoders in that package, a mono one, a stereo one and a 5.1 one. They all work as expected here.
If you are certain you were using the stereo one, make sure the plugin pin connections are correct. They should be by default though.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Alkamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Are you sure you were using the stereo version? There are three decoders in that package, a mono one, a stereo one and a 5.1 one. They all work as expected here.
If you are certain you were using the stereo one, make sure the plugin pin connections are correct. They should be by default though.
Yeah I'm using the stereo one. I figured out what the problem is. I was using the classic panner which seems to sum stereo signals to mono first. If I use the 2 channel panner it works.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
ReaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkamist View Post
Yeah I'm using the stereo one. I figured out what the problem is. I was using the classic panner which seems to sum stereo signals to mono first. If I use the 2 channel panner it works.
Ah. Yeah. I noticed a few of the Ambisonics plugins do that.