Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
buenavista
Human being with feelings

Default Question about Kenny Gioia's recent voice to midi video

In case you haven't seen it, here is the link. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z81YGws4d0

But I don't understand why he goes through the trouble of using the input fx module. It works just fine for me leaving all the fx in the standard fx module and recording midi output from there. Then just bypassing all but the vsti on playback.
buenavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
nait

First off, I'm fairly new to Reaper. Thanks for posting this.. had no idea you could do this, or even imagined you could. That's pretty neat. You can input anything in too with this, obviously.. guitar.. a flute.. your farts.. whatever. lol That's pretty wild. That'd be great for humming/singing/whistling in a lead part.

Anyways, I unfortunately can't answer your question why he threw those FX onto the input FX chain though. That's a good question. I know if you were recording audio, what you put on the input chain would get recorded in your audio. So that's 1 reason to use input FX. But here, while you're "recording audio", in a sense, you're really writing MIDI, so I'm not to sure why he moved that stuff over either, unless it was to make things have a cleaner look to him. And, well, I suppose you could easily toggle on/off the whole input FX chain if you wanted to toggle between your whistle inputing and some other form of input.

Actually.. the other thing too is I see he had a transpose effect in there.. so by putting that in the input chain, that means that if he say sang F2, but transposed an octave up like in the video, the MIDI would be recorded as F3 (and also played back as F3, vs. recorded as F2... then transposed on playback). So that's probably really what he was going for there. It just kind of makes a little more sense, visually too, I guess.. (in addition to the transpose being handled at the time he inputed the notes in, which while small in this example might make a difference in some way in a much larger scale song).

Last edited by nait; 09-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
hopi

he put them there to have clean way to get the midi on the track while only having the syth on the track and letting it be very changeable ...
there certainly could be other ways to do this with two tracks and a send to the VSTi on another track...

I left Kenny a comment and also have posted on the JSFX area... about what happens with those unwanted short notes...

I'm thinking it would be great to have a note filter that would get rid of them right when they are being recorded instead of in the MIDI Ed. with the filter....

Maybe some scripting person will come up with a lua filter can be set up to only pass notes longer than some normal note value... like 1/8 or whatever the user sets....
Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
nait

Yeah there's definitely a bit of a manual process to it still, as not only do you have to filter out the bad notes, but you have to quantize the good notes properly too (which I'd say is likely the more cumbersome of the two tasks). Still a pretty useful feature though.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
karbomusic

Now if it can detect kick/snare/hat with my mouth drumming, that would be cool. Boom, chat, boom, chat, tssk, tssk, tssk.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Now if it can detect kick/snare/hat with my mouth drumming, that would be cool. Boom, chat, boom, chat, tssk, tssk, tssk.
It could, if you could manage to hit different frequencies for each of those drum components lol Or you could just do it in layers (i.e. record each part separately and on their own tracks w/ their own reatune, etc). What you're talking about would be a great feature though!
Old 09-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
fixerdave

Do a search for imitone, their program is well developed. It is for exactly what you want. Dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
karbomusic

In all seriousness, I just sing them into my phone and sift through them later.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
nait

There's been the odd time where I've been away from my PC and inspiration hit.. forcing me to sing into the phone lol
Old 09-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
karbomusic

I have one of these clamped to my desk. Anytime I'm inspired at home which usually involves a guitar, I toss my phone up, turn on the USB light and hit record video, fantastic little fella for what it is.