Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #761
deeb
Human being with feelings

Because there are huge amount of clashes and unpredictable behaviour! reaper is full of shortcuts ... and without this seems like to open big door for human mistakes .

Also: I wouldn't like to change melodyne shortcut for copy and paste or cut (which are the same as in reaper) for a new one.

And in just this small case, .. when i hit paste in melodyne i am getting a second instance of melodyne in fx browser.

Also: i wouldn't like hitting some reaper action by mistake while my focus is on melodyne.

So i think makes a lot of sense.. send all shortcuts to plugin while focused except some that we could define !

Last edited by deeb; 03-25-2019 at 09:36 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #762
themixtape

Anyone experiencing weirdness with the VST3 plugin in Reaper 5.972 or 5.973? 64-bit Reaper, on 64-bit Windows 7. 32GB ram. Quad-core i7.

I put the VST3 / ARA Melodyne on three vocal tracks... as I was editing the first, I noticed the second one didn't detect nearly half of what it was supposed to.

It got worse on the 3rd vocal track, which detected nothing.

Is this normal? Is it only one ARA at a time? Otherwise, I just used the regular VST2 version, and transferred the vocal to the Melodyne plugin manually.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 PM   #763
Jae.Thomas

i wish melodyne responded to cursor changes in reaper. The other way around works
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 AM   #764
allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Anyone experiencing weirdness with the VST3 plugin in Reaper 5.972 or 5.973? 64-bit Reaper, on 64-bit Windows 7. 32GB ram. Quad-core i7.

I put the VST3 / ARA Melodyne on three vocal tracks... as I was editing the first, I noticed the second one didn't detect nearly half of what it was supposed to.

Is this normal? Is it only one ARA at a time? Otherwise, I just used the regular VST2 version, and transferred the vocal to the Melodyne plugin manually.

Thanks guys!
Yes, similar problems here. I've not had time to narrow down the situations where it's happening ( hence not posting about it yet ), but like you, it seems multiple instances of Melodyne are a common variable.

To be honest, it's not been smooth sailing with ARA so far and I'm having to go back to the old way for work in front of clients. Nonetheless, it seems a vastly complicated undertaking to me and so I'm happy for the quirks to be worked out over time. The Devs efforts so far are not taken lightly.
allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #765
azslow3

I observe strange behavior once in a while, but in general it works fine for me.
I mean several tracks are displayed and switched correctly. The time cursor and selection are in sync (be-directionally).
Note that I have Studio edition, so I do not oberve "several instanced" of Melodyne, all tracks with it are shown in one Melodyne. Also I set "Follow clip selection in DAW".

I only wish "find time cursor" in Melodyne, that is bugging me independent from ARA. I mean if time cursor is outside visible range, "auto scroll" is not working. That is also preventing me implement better accessibility for Melodyne...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:40 AM   #766
SSL4000E

Quote:

Which Melodyne Edition do you use? Track Fx? Item Fx? There is no limitation regarding ARA. You can use as many tracks and instances as your CPU can handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
i wish melodyne responded to cursor changes in reaper. The other way around works
What exactly do you mean? If I change my cursor from bar 5 to 12 in Reaper, Melodyne follows without any problem.
SSL4000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:42 AM   #767
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL4000E View Post
Which Melodyne Edition do you use? Track Fx? Item Fx? There is no limitation regarding ARA. You can use as many tracks and instances as your CPU can handle.

What exactly do you mean? If I change my cursor from bar 5 to 12 in Reaper, Melodyne follows without any problem.

Melodyne Studio, 4.2.
32gb ram, Windows 7, 64-bit... quad-core i7 (4th gen). 3.6ghz, SSD

re: it staying synced.... as long as a blob isn't selected in Melodyne!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:32 AM   #768
SSL4000E

Quote:
re: it staying synced.... as long as a blob isn't selected in Melodyne!
You mean autoscroll? Well if you select a blob in Melodyne autoscroll is temporarily deactivated. You can see this on the autoscroll button on the bottom right of the Melodyne UI. This is per design and has nothing to do with ARA.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #769
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSL4000E View Post
You mean autoscroll? Well if you select a blob in Melodyne autoscroll is temporarily deactivated. You can see this on the autoscroll button on the bottom right of the Melodyne UI. This is per design and has nothing to do with ARA.
Not only for ARA, but there is a problem with autoscroll.

Autoscroll activates on playback only, when nothing is selected. That is almost fine in stand alone, since:
* if you have selected something, you probably want to see that
* if you zoomed manually, you probably want Melodyne always follow, even with autoscroll activated and the time line out of window
* you can change current time by 3 methods:
1) playback (autoscroll works)
2) click in Melodyne (no need for autoscroll)
3*) typing the time (autoscroll DOES NOT work)

So the problem is (3*) only. But in standalone mode that is not usual operation, unlike in plug-in mode.

F.e. in Sonar integration design, which is similar to Item FX Melodyne instance in REAPER, Melodyne working area is usually small. So positioning is not annoying. But in REAPER there is unsolved logical issue with audition in this case.

When used on long track, positioning start to be annoying. To "find" position the user has to start playback or search manually. Both methods are not optimal.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:39 AM   #770
SSL4000E

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Not only for ARA, but there is a problem with autoscroll.
3*) typing the time (autoscroll DOES NOT work)
What exactly do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
When used on long track, positioning start to be annoying. To "find" position the user has to start playback or search manually. Both methods are not optimal.
Also here, I don't get what you mean. Can you please describe in exact steps? I currently work on a 10min track which is analyzed by melodyne in polyphonic mode. I have no issues with autoscroll and positioning the playback start. Not in Melodnye nor in Reaper.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #771
azslow3

In the Melodyne standalone you can see current time. It is possible to click on it and let say set measure 20. If it is not on screen, it will not be shown (and least for me).

In REAPER, let say you see only measures 1-10 in Melodyne. You click on measure 20 in REAPER. Nothing changes in Melodyne. You need to (shortly) start playback to get autoscrool working.

In other words is not not "always autoscroll", it is playback autoscroll. And there is no button/shortcut which scroll to the current time manually (or I have not found one).

Let say I want compare verse 1 with verse 3. I zoom into verse 1 and then want to see verse 3. F.e. I use "Next region" (REAPER) shortcut to get there. But that will not update Melodyne, I need to press play/stop for that.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #772
vanhaze

@azslow3:
Just tested here and i can confirm the behaviour you described:
Annoying indeed that Melodyne doesn't update it's window content to always show the (changed) position of Reaper's Edit Cursor in Stop Mode.

Warm Regards.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #773
Amberience

Does Melodyne ARA support audio to midi drag and drop like in Studio One?? I use that feature a fair bit and always end up moving stuff between hosts for that particular job.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #774
Pinknoise

The way I do it is export midi in the project via a dropdown menu on Melodyne's holding frame (must be a name for that thing the box that Reaper has around all plugins). I would'nt be surpised if we get an action to this eventually.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #775
schwa
Administrator

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #776
MusoBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

Once I have the notes in the project I can shift them but then I need

ARA: Import into Melodyne > Notes
to adjust the audio to the new notes.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #777
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
Once I have the notes in the project I can shift them but then I need

ARA: Import into Melodyne > Notes
to adjust the audio to the new notes.
Just to let us (who do not have Melodyne) know.: is this a Feature request, or a description how you do it ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #778
MusoBob

Yes it's a feature request to allow the snapping of polyphonic notes to a chord otherwise you need to manually move every note in Melodyne. There needs to be an automated way with scripting to do this to work like Studio One 4.
So you could have a midi chord track and snap the Melodyne notes to it then the audio will follow the chord changes.
Same with ReaTune if the automatic pitch correction notes could follow a midi chord track's Send this would snap monophonic audio to a midi chord track.

That's where this comes in handy to set the chord by reascale then snap the selected notes in the chord region to it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoBob View Post
You have Get's but you need Set's, you just need some way to set the key and scale ??

reaper.MIDIEditor_GetSetting_int(editor, 'scale_root')
reaper.MIDIEditor_GetSetting_str(editor, 'scale', '')
reaper.MIDI_GetScale(MediaItem_Take take, number root, number scale, string name)

reaper.MIDI_SetScale( take, 9, "102034050607", "User Reascale")
or
reaper.MIDI_SetScale( take, 9, 2741, "User Reascale")

Last edited by MusoBob; 04-11-2019 at 12:41 AM.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #779
Mercado_Negro

It's so frustrating to work with Melodyne in REAPER! I just lost tons of hours of work again after closing and reopening a project only to found out that NOTHING I did in Melodyne is there. I should've done that in S1 as usual. I guess I'll never learn my lesson.

This is pointless post but god I needed to vent this here.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #780
multibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
It's so frustrating to work with Melodyne in REAPER! I just lost tons of hours of work again after closing and reopening a project only to found out that NOTHING I did in Melodyne is there. I should've done that in S1 as usual. I guess I'll never learn my lesson.

Sorry to hear. The latest Melodyne-Beta might help:

Some of the changes on this version in comparison to the 4.2.2 Beta 1 are :
6485 Reaper-ARA: certain project cannot be opened
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #781
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

I don't think it's a pointless post.
I would just say - that I think it's a good idea to bounce (render or freeze) all Melodyne tracks - just to avoid scenarios like yours.

I come from a SONAR background (although I haven't used it in over a year now) and it always had ARA support - but I still always bounced all my Melodyne tracks
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #782
mschnell

Not pointless at all. Verified bugs need to be fixed ! Unknown bugs can't be fixed.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #783
Mercado_Negro

It's a random thing, that's why it is so hard to troubleshoot. One day you can spend hours working on Melodyne without a single crash. You can close your project and reload it after a break and everything you did is there but the next day it's a nightmare. Crashes after crashes and things don't get saved properly.

I really wish I had time enough to troubleshoot all this like in the past but unfortunately I'm always too busy to sit down an hour or two to find the root of the problem or at least a pattern for the devs.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 PM   #784
EvilDragon

But, apparently Celemony guys are on it and have a beta with a fix?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 PM   #785
Curtis
Banned

Some be of the things added to reaper why can't they just be added via reapack then the people who want the added items can get them instead of forcing the item on everyone?
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:29 AM   #786
EvilDragon

How is that related to anything in this thread?

Also ReaPack cannot change the core of Reaper, it's a completely different thing for a different purpose.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #787
schwa
Administrator

Sorry it's been frustrating They are working on a big update that might help. In the meantime, if you have a project with saved Melodyne changes that don't load, it would definitely help us to have the project and relevant media.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #788
Jae.Thomas

is there any indication that melodyne didnt load said changes properly (without listening or looking? - like an error msg?)

only asking because I have many times simply opened projects to render, assuming it is the same as I left it on the last save
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #789
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Sorry it's been frustrating They are working on a big update that might help. In the meantime, if you have a project with saved Melodyne changes that don't load, it would definitely help us to have the project and relevant media.
I'll zip the project and send it to you. Thanks Schwa. I'm really sorry for such a previous post but man I was really angry because I had a deadline for that project.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 AM   #790
YanHurd

Default Removing ARA2 data/manipulations from item/take/track?

Sorry guys if I didn't choose the right thread to post this - but I thought I shouldn't open a new one just to ask this: How can I completely remove any ARA2 integration with Melodyne from a media item without glueing or rendering?

I was pretty happy when finally ARA2 support became available in Reaper recently - especially because it has been a bit cumbersome to edit vocals in Melodyne before. However, I can't find a way to manipulate the source item directly anymore ... e.g. when I move stretch markers in the media item, the change doesn't seem to be applied when it is being played through Melodyne. I can *see* the change visually to happen just like I want it. However, the *audio* doesn't change, I can't hear anything happen - as long as I do not disable or remove Melodyne. Hence, altering the source media item doesn't seem to have an effect on the audio as it is being played (just like before ARA2 when you had to import everything into Melodyne).

Even removing Melodyne from that track, or copying/moving the media item to another track and performing the change there doesn't do the trick: as soon as the media or any new instance of Melodyne is back on the track, it is being played like it has been read by Melodyne the first time ... so I assume that the ARA2 data is being stored somewhere, and even a brand new instance of Melodyne relates to that instead of the audio item. Even when copying a media item that has been touched once by Melodyne via ARA2 to another project and editing there ... all the changes are not in effect anymore as soon as I put on a *brand new instance* of Melodyne onto that track in the *new* project. The audio Melodyne is working on seems to be on a separate "layer" I can't access or manipulate anymore.

Does anybody know how to completely remove Melodyne [adjustments & leftovers] from a item/take/track? Many thanks in advance!
YanHurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 AM   #791
EvilDragon

Any stretching of audio in Reaper is performed on the fly (until you glue it, as you noticed), whereas ARA is about supplying raw audio data from the actual recording on the hard drive. The two aren't compatible.

AFAIK Melodyne has a folder where it stores its detection data, roam a bit through its options and you should be able to find where it is.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:41 AM   #792
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanHurd View Post
I can't find a way to manipulate the source item directly anymore
That's the whole purpose of ARA, to allow the plugin to read the audio directly from disk. Stretch markers are not compatible with ARA plugins -- the idea is that you'd use an ARA plugin to do the same thing you would have used a stretch marker for.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:57 AM   #793
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Any stretching of audio in Reaper is performed on the fly (until you glue it, as you noticed), whereas ARA is about supplying raw audio data from the actual recording on the hard drive. The two aren't compatible.
The AudioAccessor system in Reaper, that has been said by the developers is used for ARA2, does allow getting stretch marker processed audio from Reaper. (Just tested that with my own plugin.) But maybe the Cockos developers decided it won't be used by the ARA2 implementation. (As it could lead to things like the audio being double processed by time stretching and pitch shifting, which might not lead to optimal results.)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:06 AM   #794
EvilDragon

Could also be that Celemony doesn't support such things via ARA2, too. But yeah, avoiding double processing makes sense, too.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:11 AM   #795
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Could also be that Celemony doesn't support such things via ARA2, too. But yeah, avoiding double processing makes sense, too.
ARA doesn't know anything about how the source audio is produced. It just gets audio samples from the host. So, already time stretched, pitch shifted or otherwise processed audio could be fed into Melodyne. (But is not the greatest idea.)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:12 AM   #796
schwa
Administrator

ARA is pre-all-processing because otherwise if you moved a stretch marker, the plugin would think the source audio changed, and discard your edits and re-analyze it.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:14 AM   #797
Xenakios

Quote:
ARA is pre-all-processing because otherwise if you moved a stretch marker, the plugin would think the source audio changed, and discard your edits and re-analyze it.
Shouldn't Reaper in that case disallow/disable using stretch markers and such on items that are going to be fed into an ARA2 enabled plugin...?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #798
YanHurd

EvilDragon, schwa, Xenakios,

many thanks for your immediate replies and the insight you provided. So much to learn ... I was hoping that with the advent of ARA2, the different tools I use would work better together - and they do, just not exactly the way I was expecting. Thanks again!
YanHurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #799
BlackArtMixing

I worked on a session i recorded and tuned all the vocal performances using Melodyne Studio 4.2.2. After i was finished i rendered each track individually using the SWS action:

SWS/AW: Render tracks to mono stem tracks, obeying time selection

then i consolidated all my rendered tracks to a new folder and closed the project. i opened a new project to start mixing and the vocal tracks have some words chopped out so i went back to the previous project and opened Melodyne and I get the error below and all my edits have been reset.

"There is a problem with the structure of this document. It will perhaps not function correctly. Please contact support"

This has happened on previous projects and i've had to redo the edits but i want to know what is causing this to happen (some setting in reaper/SWS) that is corrupting the ARA data and also why the render tracks action is chopping out works. Can you anyone help me out here? i'm also talking to Celemony support but not getting anywhere fast there. Thanks
BlackArtMixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:22 AM   #800
Adralicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArtMixing View Post
I worked on a session i recorded and tuned all the vocal performances using Melodyne Studio 4.2.2. After i was finished i rendered each track individually using the SWS action:

SWS/AW: Render tracks to mono stem tracks, obeying time selection

then i consolidated all my rendered tracks to a new folder and closed the project. i opened a new project to start mixing and the vocal tracks have some words chopped out so i went back to the previous project and opened Melodyne and I get the error below and all my edits have been reset.

"There is a problem with the structure of this document. It will perhaps not function correctly. Please contact support"

This has happened on previous projects and i've had to redo the edits but i want to know what is causing this to happen (some setting in reaper/SWS) that is corrupting the ARA data and also why the render tracks action is chopping out works. Can you anyone help me out here? i'm also talking to Celemony support but not getting anywhere fast there. Thanks
I subscribed to this thread when I was checking out ARA2 in Reaper a while back and I just got a notification of your reply. Although Samplitude is my main DAW. This is very interesting because I have exactly the same message sometimes when working with Melodyne ARA in Samplitude Pro X4. Although in my case it's usually when I initially open Melodyne on an audio clip.It doesn't happen every time but occasionally. Also Samplitude uses ARA not ARA2. But it's odd that the exactly the same message pops up.To me it points to the fact that it could be a Melodyne problem.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | Intel Haswell i7 4770K | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Crucial 512mb SSD System Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD A/V Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD Samples Drive | 1x Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb | 40" 4k Monitor | RME Fireface 400 |Windows 10 x64
Adralicus is offline   Reply With Quote