xpander
Human being with feelings

Default v6.29rc6 - May 13 2021

v6.29rc6 - May 13 2021

* Includes feature branch: custom metadata columns in Media Explorer
* Includes feature branch: razor envelope editing
* Includes feature branch: ReaSurroundPan
+ Razor edits: do not pool automation items when razor editing [p=2443478]

This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
mccrabney

Quote:
looking good here, thanks for the fix.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
TimU

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Could we have this togglable as a preference? I find automation items copied/split etc by razor edits being pooled extremely useful
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimU View Post
Could we have this togglable as a preference? I find automation items copied/split etc by razor edits being pooled extremely useful

I think we are going to revert this change for the 6.29 release, actually. As it is in rc6, the behavior is inconsistent when automation items are split because of a media item edit (with "move envelope points with media items" enabled) or because of a razor edit.

Our current plan is to leave the behavior unchanged for 6.29, so automation items are pooled in both scenarios as they have always been. For the next release cycle, we will add an option that controls this behavior.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
mccrabney

^ sounds like you've got it figured out, thanks for the consideration. i avoid pooling altogether, so any options to accommodate that (as is the case with MIDI items) will be much appreciated.

i did a double take when you said that AI split by media item edits get pooled, and that they always have been -- i think that explains some unexpected AI behavior that has affected me before.

maybe the auto-pooling makes more sense when AI are tethered to an underlying envelope. in my case, pooling as a default behavior reminds me of some of the autoformatting woes in early versions of MS Word, where page/text/block formatting would occur without user intent.

in any case, some sort of visual indicator when an AI is pooled would be very helpful. for example, maybe only show the "name" AI property in the AI info bar when the AI is pooled?
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think we are going to revert this change for the 6.29 release, actually. As it is in rc6, the behavior is inconsistent when automation items are split because of a media item edit (with "move envelope points with media items" enabled) or because of a razor edit.

Our current plan is to leave the behavior unchanged for 6.29, so automation items are pooled in both scenarios as they have always been. For the next release cycle, we will add an option that controls this behavior.
Isn't that what "Editing Behavior -> Automation -> "Pool source data when pasting automation items" already is supposed to do? I thought that meant "if pasting [or duplicating] automation items, create a pooled copy or not." Maybe adding the "or duplicating" is me editorializing but may make sense to link to that preference.

Agree that a visual "pooled indicator" for AI's would be a very nice to have.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Agree that a visual "pooled indicator" for AI's would be a very nice to have.
Isn't it what numbers do? Same numbers means they're pooled?
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Isn't it what numbers do? Same numbers means they're pooled?
Yes and no.

Yes in that it usually does exactly what you say. You see two items with #6 and you can assume they're pooled.

No in that if AI #6 is the only AI #6 I can see due to zoom and/or scroll position, I have no way of knowing whether there is another AI #6 elsewhere in the project and the item I'm editing is pooled. This could become tricky to manage in large projects with lots of AI's.

Whereas a proper "pooled" icon would remove all doubt. Or even if pooled copies were numbered with an asterisk like AI 6*.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Whereas a proper "pooled" icon would remove all doubt. Or even if pooled copies were numbered with an asterisk like AI 6*.
Or to change the number color for the pooled AIs. That way we could separate easier from other numbers that they're not pooled

This could work in 2 ways, selecting an Ai that it's pooled, automatically colors their number or, have always colored the numbers of the pooled AIs with different colors for each group

Edit: Or could be even easier, if there was no numbers but just for the pooled copies, and then coloring their numbers too as suggested above.

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-18-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #10
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Edit: Or could be even easier, if there was no numbers but just for the pooled copies, and then coloring their numbers too as suggested above.
Good suggestion! +1
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote