Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
yesyeah
Human being with feelings

Default Can't monitor effects?

This is probably a stupid thing that's really easy and I will be upset I couldn't figure it out, but....

I am running the Saffire Pro 40 with Reaper on Mac OS 10.4. I haven't used it in a while and I thought it was fine last time, but for some reason, when I am trying to record a track, and place some plug in on the track I want to record on (say, reverb on a vox track), I can't hear the verb when recording - only on playback.

This may be an issue where I am running the headphone monitor out of the wrong patch (I am noticing the overall volume on the Saffire Pro 40 is VERY low, so I have to boost it big time with the external headphone amp/mixer) - OR perhaps it's one of the monitor/record selectors that I don't have set right?

The unit comes with the Saffire Mix Control (for mutliple headphone mixes) - sometimes when I use that software, I get the double track latency. Regardless, I tried with and w/o the mix control and I still couldn't get the effects to be audible during the recording of the actual track.

I may be running an old version of Reaper too. If you have any thoughts, please post, thanks GREATLY!
yesyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

You will have to monitor either through Saffire, or through Reaper, but not both. If you use Saffire for monitoring, you will hear the signal before it enters Reaper, so you'll have no reverb. If you monitor through reaper, you will have more latency, determined by the buffer settings in Reaper Prefs > Audio > Device.

To enable monitoring in Reaper, in addition to the record arm button, click the "input monitoring" button in the track or mixer control panel.

The Reaper manual is of great help for any Reaper user, new or old.