Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #81
Aesaire
Human being with feelings

New themes mixer page is pretty bad for smaller screens as there isn't a replacement for the strip mixer layouts. All the track names are written horizontally which uses a lot of screen real estate for no reason. Having multiple rows of mixer tracks make it look really disorganized (yes I know it's optional)

Would like to see customization for the mixer expanded upon. Some suggestions:

1) Verticle or horizontal track labels.
2) Option to customize out every track control in the mixer, similar to the TCP.
3) Compact strip layouts for smaller screens.
Aesaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #82
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's because you have HiDPI enabled but Default Nitpicky theme is not HiDPI compatible.
Where do you disable HiDPI? Because my I Logic V3 also looks blurry and weird. I'm not on my computer at the moment but I don't recall seeing or using that option yesterday.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #83
Cooker

I adjusted everything 50%, with a single small monitor it looks much better. Theme adjuster only goes 100%.

Disabling hidpi also may work for some.
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #84
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Nox View Post
Where do you disable HiDPI? Because my I Logic V3 also looks blurry and weird. I'm not on my computer at the moment but I don't recall seeing or using that option yesterday.
preferences-Advanced UI/system tweaks-hidpi mode
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #85
WolfJames

The new GUI is horrible, a total mess. It's like a throwback to an old Atari interface or something. I'm shocked that it would be released like this. For the life of me, I can't imagine why they just didn't take one of the other beautiful themes by White Tie and modify it slightly for this release if they're not going to update the underlying GUI code. They've taken an already dis-joined hodgepodge of GUI elements and modifications, and added an additional layer of complicated nonsense.

I love everything that Reaper is capable of doing, but I don't think we're going to see many new users until the GUI code is rewritten to look professional and just "work" without modifications and scripts. I mean those things are just fine for the people who want to tinker, modify, customize, etc. But most DAW users just want to create music in a consistent manner as quickly and easily as possible. I don't need to repaint my car every time I go the grocery.
WolfJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #86
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
preferences-Advanced UI/system tweaks-hidpi mode
*inserts the Michael Scott thank you gif*

Why is this not in the theme adjuster as it literally affects every theming aspects of REAPER?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #87
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Working professionally on a deadline with many concurrent projects, no time to "re-learn" or "re-adapt" to a comically broken looking new theme on the eyes, and dealing with bad contrast issues with a theme that slows down your workflow by about 80%, conservatively? Toolbar buttons, color issues, stretch out transport, it is just all over the place. Believe it or not, some of us use Reaper for work not play

That's a start.
Then it's a good thing you chose REAPER. Because you can still use any of the previous themes you were using before to get work done.

REAPER is always about choice.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 12-05-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #88
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Then it's a good thing you chose REAPER. Because you can still use any of the previous themes you were using before to get work done.

REAPER is always about choice.
True, but upgrading to v6 and not using the default theme actually is bad.
MIDI editor colors make CC values unreadable and stuff. Check it, you'll see
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #89
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It's taking you nearly twice as long to complete projects now, because of the new default theme?

You can still use old themes, or V5 REAPER, you know! Using a .0 software release isn't worth starving over.
Actually you're wrong. V6 has amazing new features, but upgrading to v6 AND using an old theme is bad. It breaks MIDI editor CC colors, etc other things look funky. It's not a good plan, sorry.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #90
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
People should be allowed to express negative opinions here without fear of censorship.
Agreed. But please keep this in mind:

As creative people, we all need to make choices regarding how we ingest the comments about our work. I can't speak for WT (I speak for the trees) but I can speak for myself and allow you to apply it here as well.

I get about 15 youtube comments per day regarding my videos. 95% of them are "Hey Kenny, great job". And that's nice to hear. Brightens my day.

2% of them are people asking for help or clarification on the video. I'm happy to help them.

2% of them are people telling me how I can make my videos better. Constructively. Also great to hear. Always looking to improve.

But 1% of them tell me how much I suck at making videos. And that's OK. There's always going to be some outlier opinions or noise compared to useful signal.

But here's the rub:

If that 1% turned into 20% - 30%. And that wasn't constructive but instead telling me how much I suck, and how my videos aren't professional, I stop reading youtube comments. They become noise. They stop me from doing constructive work so I ignore them and keep making videos to help people who love REAPER and love my videos.

But that also means that I don't help the people that need help. And it also means that I don't improve my videos based on constructive feedback.

So yeah. You (and people like you) can feel free to make non-helpful negative comments. But you also have to assume that nobody is reading them besides you and people who think like you. And you're also hurting the people who need real help and have positive suggestions to make to the work.

Enjoy your day.

Kenny
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #91
_Stevie_

Thing is, there is no theme that 100% satisfies my needs. Robert Randolph pretty much hit the nail on that one. Themes that come close are: Blankfiles’ iLogic 3 and Albertos ProTools X.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #92
lowellben

Quote:
Agreed. But please keep this in mind:

As creative people, we all need to make choices regarding how we ingest the comments about our work. I can't speak for WT (I speak for the trees) but I can speak for myself and allow you to apply it here as well.

I get about 15 youtube comments per day regarding my videos. 95% of them are "Hey Kenny, great job". And that's nice to hear. Brightens my day.

So yeah. You (and people like you) can feel free to make non-helpful negative comments. But you also have to assume that nobody is reading them besides you and people who think like you. And you're also hurting the people who need real help and have positive suggestions to make to the work.

Enjoy your day.

Kenny
I am among those 95%.
I leave plenty of helpful non-positive comments, although sometimes the recipient is super sensitive and perceives it however they see fit.
I accept this. I expect them too as well.

I enjoy every day I wake up in the morning at this point.

Bonus: thanks for your videos Kenny you are doing great work! You probably know of my work too, but I don't need any recognition. I just want to learn new things every day.

Just curious, does Cockos compensate you for creating all these YouTube videos? Because you're busting out a lot of them and they're all great content. Big thumbs up.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #93
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Thing is, there is no theme that 100% satisfies my needs.
Themes are like any other type of design. One size never fits all.

The goal is to make MOST people happy and the theme usable.

In my humble opinion, he hit it out of the park. But that's my opinion. It's not wrong or right.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #94
Lokasenna

Quote:
Just curious, does Cockos compensate you for creating all these YouTube videos? Because you're busting out a lot of them and they're all great content. Big thumbs up.
Kenny gets paid per-audible-pause.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #95
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Thankfully I can enjoy him still. YouTube has a great 125% playback speed that makes the videos watchable for me

But I assumed Cockos gave him some sort of perk for busting out 100 videos+ on Reaper. It's huge IMO for Reaper.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #96
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
I am among those 95%.
I leave plenty of helpful non-positive comments, although sometimes the recipient is super sensitive and perceives it however they see fit.
I accept this. I expect them too as well.

I enjoy every day I wake up in the morning at this point.

Bonus: thanks for your videos Kenny you are doing great work! You probably know of my work too, but I don't need any recognition. I just want to learn new things every day.

Thank you.

I just wanted to add that, unlike youtube, it becomes very easy to remember who posts what, in each thread.

So let's take you for instance. You have posted some very positive criticism in this thread along with the negative. But if someone has an issue with the negative stuff, it will affect how they take the positive stuff.

IOW - If I recognize a hater, I'm less likely to be concerned with their issue. I view them as a hater.

So to clarify, it helps you and others to be more positive in these threads.

Unless you're just trying to pump out your chest to tell everyone how awesome you are. And we both know that that's NOT what you're doing.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #97
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Quote:
Thankfully I can enjoy him still. YouTube has a great 125% playback speed that makes the videos watchable for me
I love when people prove my point AS I'm making it.

All the best!!!!

XOXOXOXOX

Kenny
Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #98
nait

Quote:
Actually you're wrong. V6 has amazing new features, but upgrading to v6 AND using an old theme is bad. It breaks MIDI editor CC colors, etc other things look funky. It's not a good plan, sorry.
I'm not sure I'm seeing what you're seeing in v6 with default 5 theme. Midi editor looks normal to me. Would you mind posting a screenshot? I'm curious if theres something I'm not noticing in default 5 theme that may be a problem for me too down the road.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #99
Pashkuli
Banned

I am terrible at speaking. I always wondered and even admired to people how speak faster and also to the point.
Kenny, but honestly... Did you make any changes in post-prod to your resent videos? I can surely hear a slow down tempo and that is on Normal speed on YouTube.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #100
karbomusic

I had a number of issues migrating from V5 to V6, both theme and toolbars etc. where I had to copy sections of config files over manually to get me close to what I had. Importing config, even piecemeal broke the interface in various ways - so in my case there was no "just load the old theme/config and all is well" - It came down to fixing A breaks B and fixing B breaks C and so on...

The only reason I've not mentioned much about it here is that it takes a lot of time to investigate, copy, hack down multiple paths in order to make sure I have all the details down and proper and didn't make a mistake, but that is where I left off before having to get on with other priorities. The annoyance is that if I didn't make a mistake, I shouldn't have to deal with this since theming/UI/hacking isn't something I generally have time for.

Until then, I have to stay on V5 (I do suspect lowellben is hitting at least some stuff similar to what I am). That said it would be wonderful if I could export part of the config, import and switch themes between V5 and V6 but that has not occurred for me thus far.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-05-2019 at 09:46 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #101
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Working professionally on a deadline with many concurrent projects, no time to "re-learn" or "re-adapt" to a comically broken looking new theme on the eyes, and dealing with bad contrast issues with a theme that slows down your workflow by about 80%, conservatively? Toolbar buttons, color issues, stretch out transport, it is just all over the place. Believe it or not, some of us use Reaper for work not play
If you're a professional who's so sensitive to change then you don't update - and that mantra has stood tall in the audio world for years. REAPER gives you options, i know very few fellow professionals who complain about options that aren't force upon them - you clearly like to play more than work if this is an issue for you.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #102
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
I don't think you are parsing my post correctly - the theme is the mirror, what is being reflected is not the mirror.
I totally understood where you were tipping the hat, but you made it in a specific 'theme' topic, so instead of taking the discussion elsewhere i directly responded to the diva moment you were having in regards to the theme.

Thread ain't all about you, i'm afraid.

Quote:
It is quite funny being told that choices about tools will always be meaningless because of The Beatles and Creativity however.
I think you're not parsing my post correctly.

I was reminding you that focus should primarily be on the music, as i said previously we can easily get caught up in technicalities and non-audio/muso matters so it's a good exercise to consider when feeling frustrated as you are - Take the advice or throw it back in my face, just trying to help.

Quote:
From now on, any discussion in DAW forums should be shot down immediately by reminding people that great music was being made in the fifties.
Just stop being a cry baby and taking things so personally would be a better step forwards for you, perhaps? I said in my original reply to you that i was talking 'generally' not at you personally.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #103
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
If you're a professional who's so sensitive to change then you don't update - and that mantra has stood tall in the audio world for years. REAPER gives you options,
i agree and fit that description. i.e. don't laugh, but i am still using the v 1.0 theme as the only other themes that have come close for my workflow are imperial (abandoned) and albertos protools (still unfinished). i'm old and like to see things. v1.0 is ugly, but highly functional and i can see what's going on from across the room.

fast forward to today, and having just finished a project after not updating anything for the last 6 months, i have some time to investigate/update to v6. while imperial looks like an actual console on my 42" 4k monitor, the V6 default theme IMO looks like a school chalkboard or light grey sharpie on the side of an elephant. very hard to decipher things. sooo much dark grey.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #104
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
And I completely disagree here. You can’t compare a car with a UI. A UI is something I’ll be looking at the whole day. It needs to be easy on the eyes and make elements distinguishable. Most of the “ugliness” here comes from mixing together a lot of different styles. There’s no visual coherence. And that’s exactly the problem.
I don't see why I can't make the analogy. I spend literally 4 hours every single day in my car to commute and have done so for over a decade, I should have some level of comfort AND functionality in whatever I drive. You as another commuter might not appreciate me driving along side you....get it? That's why this is so funny and I can say that in both the driving analogy and in this situation, my vantage point is similar. In both cases, I may not like the way it looks but I love the way it performs.

Besides, I never said I liked this theme...I am pretty sure that none of my posts ever defended this theme.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #105
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There is a point of looking good that's truly fluff for fluff's sake but... I was going to photoshop something as a joke but gotta lay a track in a few...

There's a also point of ugly that would make things quite uncomfortable and difficult to use. Reaper is at neither of those extremes but it is reasonable for some to be bothered less or more comparatively on an individual basis.

I absolutely get what makes you laugh though, it's been pretty much the same responses for 4, 5 and 6. It would be literally impossible for even the vast majority to love a new theme IMHO. But I do think there are some improvements that need to be made for more middle of the road usability reasons so maybe those will survive the noise and be taken seriously.
agreed, don't get me wrong, I'm not very happy with the new theme at all, never was. I might not say it's "broken", in the sense that a lot of things work well functionally (click this and action happens) but there's definitely a lot to be desired here in aesthetics and functionality. a LOT.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #106
nait

I think right out of the box the theme needs some help, but looks like the tools are there for me to fix it in a way that I think will work well for me. And thankfully, it's not too many different things I have to change, I don't think. I'll find out later tonight when I play around with that. There are definitely some changes to the v6 theme that I actually really like. Some ones I don't, but so far I think I've found ways to change those parts, with exception with me wanting to see all track numbers aligned neatly on the left (no indenting on indented tracks). And well, that's certainly not a deal breaker for me.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #107
Glennbo

Quote:
There is a point of looking good that's truly fluff for fluff's sake but... I was going to photoshop something as a joke but gotta lay a track in a few...
I'm going to buy REAPER 6 just so I can have a spectrum analyzer embedded in my master track and blinky EQ and compressor things on my drum tracks!

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-10-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #108
lowellben

Quote:
Thank you.

I just wanted to add that, unlike youtube, it becomes very easy to remember who posts what, in each thread.

So let's take you for instance. You have posted some very positive criticism in this thread along with the negative. But if someone has an issue with the negative stuff, it will affect how they take the positive stuff.

IOW - If I recognize a hater, I'm less likely to be concerned with their issue. I view them as a hater.

So to clarify, it helps you and others to be more positive in these threads.

Unless you're just trying to pump out your chest to tell everyone how awesome you are. And we both know that that's NOT what you're doing.
Thanks Kenny. I'll reflect more on how I phrase my negative non-positive feedback. And I'm not awesome. I'm just 'some'.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #109
lowellben

Quote:
Thank you.

It helps too that I haven't changed my avatar in a decade. You're welcome
I did that on purpose. I promise it's not because I can't find how to do it................oh wait........
Old 12-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #110
akademie

I just downloaded v 6.0 to check some problem that other user has when freeying tracks in v6 versus v5.

Jesus, the Default Theme is the worst thing I have ever seen in last 20 years.
Sorry boys and WT, it is absolutely impossible to work with. Oh my god, why would I need such big REC button instead of STOP one when I do hours and hours of mixing (for example)??? No way, bad work, sorry :-(
I've never complained but this is a mess.

(BTW, choosing v5 Theme does not help really too much as it has some flashing blinking functionality also - I mean those hiding elements that flash on you when you come across them with moving mouse).

I saw the theme in alpha testing but hoped it will iron out until final v6. Didn't happen. All recommendations of some experienced users here were thrown away. Shame :-(
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #111
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm going to buy REAPER 6 just so I can have a spectrum analyzer embedded in my master track and blinky EQ and compressor things on my drum tracks!

Works with the skin I prefer to use and makes it more fluffy! The default skin doesn't do it for me.

WHOA!

I need an aspirin and some sunglasses.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #112
Judders

Quote:
I had a number of issues migrating from V5 to V6, both theme and toolbars etc. where I had to copy sections of config files over manually to get me close to what I had. Importing config, even piecemeal broke the interface in various ways - so in my case there was no "just load the old theme/config and all is well" - It came down to fixing A breaks B and fixing B breaks C and so on...

The only reason I've not mentioned much about it here is that it takes a lot of time to investigate, copy, hack down multiple paths in order to make sure I have all the details down and proper and didn't make a mistake, but that is where I left off before having to get on with other priorities. The annoyance is that if I didn't make a mistake, I shouldn't have to deal with this since theming/UI/hacking isn't something I generally have time for.

Until then, I have to stay on V5 (I do suspect lowellben is hitting at least some stuff similar to what I am). That said it would be wonderful if I could export part of the config, import and switch themes between V5 and V6 but that has not occurred for me thus far.
Oof, that's rough.

I count myself lucky that I haven't run into any problems like that yet.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #113
karbomusic

Quote:
Oof, that's rough.

I count myself lucky that I haven't run into any problems like that yet.
It was annoying at the time, which led to that "other" annoyance in the process but... I'm not losing sleep over it. It's one of those things I'll look into again some day in the future. There aren't any huge changes in V6 that cause me any immediate need to upgrade - that isn't a complaint either, probably more a relief because it means I don't have to worry about it anytime soon and can deal with it next time I'm in the mood.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #114
Judders

Quote:
It was annoying at the time, which led to that "other" annoyance in the process but... I'm not losing sleep over it. It's one of those things I'll look into again some day in the future. There aren't any huge changes in V6 that cause me any immediate need to upgrade - that isn't a complaint either, probably more a relief because it means I don't have to worry about it anytime soon and can deal with it next time I'm in the mood.
Cool.

I'm just happy that an official release now has snappy graphics on Mac Retina. Glad that I can leave the bleeding edge of pre-releases for a while.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #115
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I don't see why I can't make the analogy. I spend literally 4 hours every single day in my car to commute and have done so for over a decade, I should have some level of comfort AND functionality in whatever I drive. You as another commuter might not appreciate me driving along side you....get it? That's why this is so funny and I can say that in both the driving analogy and in this situation, my vantage point is similar. In both cases, I may not like the way it looks but I love the way it performs.

Besides, I never said I liked this theme...I am pretty sure that none of my posts ever defended this theme.
That's fair enough. I wasn't aware of the fact that you were mostly referring to the internal GUI of the car
Old 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #116
Glennbo

Quote:
WHOA!

I need an aspirin and some sunglasses.
Hehe, I just realized I should have made that image a motion gif.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #117
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post
I don't want to offend anyone but it looks like the reaper default theme is going from bad to worse. With some tweaks v4 is still is the most usable and easy on the eyes theme i use, hopefully it will be supported further.

Some things are a nice addition but it looks like even though some intentions were good, the implementation looks and feels unfinished and not really thought out from the UX point of view. I mean, nowadays all the major daws focus a lot on usability and how the interface meets the needs of the user and i really feel disappointed. Blending flat elements with skeuomorphism, lack of balance, throwing buttons and color around like in a circus are the opposite of inspiring - actually its straight out ugly.

Being a theme tweaker myself back in the days, i found it very frustrating to make it look better because walter is far from being designer friendly and even lacks proper documentation. Looking at v6 rtconfig.txt i was instantly repelled, and looking for some docs to make sense of it haven't found any to properly guide me to adapt my old v4 theme to the v6 functionality. And instead of focusing on design, i accumulate frustration trying to understand what is what and where it goes.

It really boggles me why the focus on some gimmicks that could be added via a plugin (color schemes to name just one) and the lack of focus on some really useful and asked for settings like theming all the windows of reaper and vector support (!) to make theme development faster and easier and the users happy - scaling it on individual preference.

I'm afraid that until designers will be encouraged with a, say, a more css-like walter, proper documentation, vector support, full theming and full scaling, or maybe a (yeah, i know im way far off) theme development proggie that automatically writes the walter code.. reaper will look and feel unfinished and unappealing (as even the best themes do).

Unfortunately with v6 i felt that reaper is going somewhere not that nice.I hope im wrong but after installing and playing a bit with it i uninstalled it and went back to 5.99 because v6 felt sluggish and slow compared to v5. I even did some tests and the same project in v6 used almost double the CPU and 35-50% more ram. And in the changelog it says performance improvements and less heavy on resources? I don't know.. looks like something is not quite right here.

So back to my handmade v4 mod, and hoping for a better future.

Default 4 Analog was by far my favorite Reaper theme. Basically perfect. How much money would I have to give you to adapt it to R6?
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #118
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfreedom View Post
I don't like dark themes such as new default v6. The grid is barely visible in arrange area and MIDI editor. Track and item colors are extremly bright and colored track names are unreadable. One thing I like is the new mixer design. I'm back on Default v5 theme, this new one v6 looks like a cool skin for a progam from 2000s

I'm not much of a dark theme guy myself, but I do like certain aspects of this one. But see, lookin at the colored TCP there, especially the green ones - to me that's just nuts, how are you supposed to tell that the FX are enabled (of course I'm exaggerating here, but compare that to the mixer).

In the MCP, pretty much all of the buttons are in the black area, but in the TCP only the M S and polarity. I don't care for this disparity and think the TCP should more closely mirror the MCP. As far as contrast, I know a lot of DAWs do this today, but I really hate the Reaper's obsession with gray on primer gray - in those areas, the contrast is horrible.

No question, while it has it pluses, this theme is just not cohesive - and it doesn't seem like there is a desire implement a redesign with some real cohesion. It feels like some big opportunities were missed here.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #119
poetnprophet

well to be fair to the theme, when FX are bypassed or not available the entire color is different (red for off, grey for n/a)

But, to be fair to ALL THE REST OF US WHO USE THIS THEME....there really should have been more user input during design. I have subscribed to several of the V6 theme threads and it really is appalling how little we were able to contribute
Old 12-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #120
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
well to be fair to the theme, when FX are bypassed or not available the entire color is different (red for off, grey for n/a)

But, to be fair to ALL THE REST OF US WHO USE THIS THEME....there really should have been more user input during design. I have subscribed to several of the V6 theme threads and it really is appalling how little we were able to contribute
That's right dude, but even if you don't enable fx, since there is transparency the button changes from gray to green if you were to ya know, color your tracks green (the whole button, the "power" button doesn't light up - anyway, my point is again, another example of poor contrast).
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote