Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #81
djz
Human being with feelings

Awesome thread! Will hit you guys all up as soon as I get a lunch break!

www.reverbnation.com/cahcat

edit: fanning away... will listen to everyone & comment later tonight if the telco gets my internet working

Last edited by djz; 01-31-2011 at 01:49 PM.
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #82
shemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
cool, just set a page up. I'll go through this thread and hit everyone up.

http://www.reverbnation.com/erosioncode
Cool, Love your stuff! Two comments though. On Hysterisis, there's a lot of dead space at the end. And in general, the overall volume on all the tracks is really low. Not pushing any loudness war crap It's just something I noticed.
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #83
thequietroom

cool thanks, tried to throw it together here at work lol. gotta love reaper, can load it on my work pc do a quick render, uninstall.. like it was never there. Ill reload the mp3s from home where I can actually check it and get the levels up.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #84
shemp

Quote:
cool thanks, tried to throw it together here at work lol. gotta love reaper, can load it on my work pc do a quick render, uninstall.. like it was never there. Ill reload the mp3s from home where I can actually check it and get the levels up.
cool : )

and actually, all the songs have a lot of dead space at the end. With Leap of Faith having the least.

String Theories is my fav. Great tune!
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #85
thequietroom

thanks ya i rendered stems and all the songs are as long as leap of faith cause it was the longest.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #86
djz

Haven't been able to listen to everyone yet, but here are my thuoghts so far. Take any negative criticism with a gain of salt, I might be autistic. At least that's what my girlfriend says...

- infinite ego i like this shit, psychedelic, nice use of delays, good minimalist playing, beautiful simple bass in Chicon Master. synth sounds blend well with everything. overall structure and build very nice. Repressive Desublimation intro drags a bit imo, vocal reminiscent of flaming lips - good lyrics. Vocal could be less distorty, time-feel a bit out in parts. Liked Shenandoah, good use of effects.

- g. loyd, listened to you before, mature playing; good vocal arrangements. would like to hear it a bit more aggressive, maybe with a bit more space. very solid songwriting and works well in the genre.

- scott lepage - instantly liked the intro to sentiment. thought it was a synth at first, it was nice to discover a few seconds in that it was a guitar riff. I think it needs a bit more after it switches to the clean sound, it feels like the bass is a bit washy, i'd like to hear more punch when the ascending (synth?)bassline comes in. Nice playing, nice harmonized parts.

Snake charmer bass-riff, awesome, i'd love to hear this played at 140dB really drunk at a bar. the effects on the vocal really work.

- Butane Prophet, listened to Slasher Pam. good strong vox. didn't like the 1st guitar tone, but when the more chuggy part comes in, it sounded really good. by the time it gets to "Slasher Pam" it's all blending nicely. The descending line post-2nd-chorus is neat, and i like how you doubled the timing of that element.

- Spike Mullings, really liked Mike's Sulking. LOVE the smoke vocals. Don't want to play the comparison game, but it reminds me of Nirvana, in a good way. Songwriting was good, kept my interest all the way through.

-Valtraxysblue, Played BeraTech but it didn't grab me instantly, so switched to Hegyptia. This is an early track recorded on casette I'm guessing? I love the way it sounds, it's got a very nostalgic vibe for me.

- Darren Veach, like the punk vibes. Flash was not really my style of music so can't comment too much apart from that it sounds authentic and I think someone should be screaming all over it. Coming Home has a good vocal sound and I like the sensitivity in the guitar playing, the lyric does a good job of not stagnating through the tune. The part where the vocal cuts out, I like those synth sounds or guitar sounds or whatever they are. The vibratoeyness of it... it reminds me of 80s film music or something, but in a totally different context, if that makes sense at all?

- Hephaestus, like how it straddles between metal / hard rock, with some of the back/forth vocal arrangements I usually associate with screamo without being lame screamo! Good voice. I think the gain on the guitars could come down a little, just to make it a bit clearer. Liked the solo in Cure, simple, develops, doesn't get too far into noodley guitar territory to lose interest which can be a danger with that sort of stuff I think. When the solo turns into the harmonized part, and the scream back into the chug chorus, I thought the production was really nicely handled there.

- Greg Holmes. Very nice stick playing man. Great stuff, great changes, great arranging. I felt a good vibe of storytelling in the lyrics.

- Gigawatt. THIS IS THE SHIT. Jack of all Trades and Schizonoia, listened to those both. It fucken rocks. I love your vocals, goofy, creepy, heavy, fun, sounds like you're really into it, and delivering well, and not self conscious. This is fun music. You must listen to Meshuggah?

-Haunting Heather. Not my style, but but the production is well done, and the songs are well written. Good job.

-San Celeste, great song titles. Same Shit Different Spin is a lot of fun, but the intro goes on a bit too long (imho) nice touch with the piano doubling(?) the guitar riff. Is there a lot of this sort of music going on in Oslo? I usually associate Norway with metal

- SoctteDogStudios, very easy to listen to. Interesting, nice use of space, nice guitar playing. I'd be interested in hearing you live in a rock trio format. The Object of My Affliction has a great opening riff, and it expands into an even greater arrangement. The guitar is a bit gainy for me. Vocals good, very very rhythymically conscious arrangement = awesome work. I think you've got something really good going on.

- Stewart Coleman, nice track, Skillfully put together.

- Ceramoniah. You know what you're doing! Like this stuff, like the voice, it's unique. Production sounds good, you got the sound nailed. The only complaint I have is that there seems to be a bit of siblance and high frequencies going on, it was a bit fatiguing to listen to, even though I really enjoyed the song.

will try and listen to the rest over the next couple days.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #87
djz

@Crash-Scan -

Holy fuck dude, this shit is off the hook. Imma buy your album when I get home.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #88
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by djz View Post
@Crash-Scan -

Holy fuck dude, this shit is off the hook. Imma buy your album when I get home.
Cheers Man! thanks heaps.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #89
Artbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by djz View Post
Valtraxysblue, Played BeraTech but it didn't grab me instantly, so switched to Hegyptia. This is an early track recorded on casette I'm guessing? I love the way it sounds, it's got a very nostalgic vibe for me.
Hegyptia: yes on both counts. Used a tascam porta-one, alesis mmt8 & microverb, roland d5 & r5, sometime around 1990 to 1993.

The original BeraTech was recorded in 1994 with similar equipment plus an Emu sampler. The one you heard on the site was something I rebuilt a year ago in Reaper; importing the original midi, using all vstis, and trying to absorb stuff i had just read in the amazing WDYRSLA thread

thanks for listening and for the feedback

Last edited by Artbay; 02-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Artbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #90
victoriousmusic

Default Reaper users ROCK

I've been listening to the links in this thread and wow, some seriously great stuff here.
Myself, I am an engineering beginner. Recording I did for so many years was just for work, and had to be very quick, not any time for edits, fx, or much of anything. I am just beginning to learn how to use Reaper, make decent recordings, etc..
This forum is a tremendous help and I appreciate everyone here.
Just hearing what can be done gives me hope...for my stuff
I get frustrated with myself as I'm usually not able to get the sounds I'm wanting, or hearing for the tunes..but, hey, everyone starts somewhere I guess.
I have fanned you all, and have respect for each one of you.
Infinite ego- love the vibe of chicon masks, love the bass on overrated. repressive desublimation..cool fx on vocals, smooth transitions, smoking guitar synth..
pillsbury- this train, if ya love me, my favs
freeze tag- scapegoat is great, love the vocals vibe, esp. in beginning
butane prophet- fav, hole in the head, also asleep at the wheel
spike- fav moment, and honesty
kaspar torn- awesome arrangements/guitar..fav pole shift, android
valtrexys- cool stuff, fav vibetribe and beans for brfst
darren- fav coming home
hephaestus- fav pyche and free
greg- wonderful guitar/+voice, love your stuff
gigawatt- not my style, but talented
haunting h- great sound, fav ring, tangled
san celeste- fav aspiring for gutter
scottedog- love your stuff, and your tiny terror and sounds you get
If I could sound like you I'd have 2! It was on my wishlist for a long time..sadly, I never pulled the trigger..got a POD for a gift...
Stewart- very, very nice guitar, love it
dinologic- fav out of my head, texas lullabye and yes, YOU may feel better about yourself if you listen to me...for sure..
ceramoniah- fav minds eye
aaroncheney- didn't find your site, did you take it down?
tedwood- awesome chops, fav dreaming
tallisman- not my style, but cool stuff and great work
cornpone- fav that looks perfect, great stuff, enjoyed it
music to murder- fav crawl, love the vibe
diesel- broken glass, hogs holler, no blues, favs
msorenson- fav strenuously lazy, great stuff
erosioncode- love your metal guitar/drum sound, great playing

If I missed anyone, sorry, let me know, I'll fan you.

here is my link. Please remember I'm a beginner...don't be too hard on me..comments, suggestions welcome though.

http://www.reverbnation.com/minstrelsmuse
victoriousmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #91
scottedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriousmusic View Post
I've been listening to the links in this thread and wow, some seriously great stuff here.
Myself, I am an engineering beginner. Recording I did for so many years was just for work, and had to be very quick, not any time for edits, fx, or much of anything. I am just beginning to learn how to use Reaper, make decent recordings, etc..
I get frustrated with myself as I'm usually not able to get the sounds I'm wanting, or hearing for the tunes..but, hey, everyone starts somewhere I guess.

here is my link. Please remember I'm a beginner...don't be too hard on me..comments, suggestions welcome though.

That's a lot to listen to!

A beginner huh? Sounds pretty good for a beginner. Nice voice & clear mix.

....and thx for the compliment!

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #92
victoriousmusic

Thanks Scott, you are too kind. As soon as I can get satisfied with the mix I'm about to post another tune.

Everyone, something I failed to mention about the 2 songs I have up so far: the recording of "All" was done at a friends studio several years ago. It's still me, well singing, and on drums and on the piano on the choruses...my friend played the guitar, bass, piano on verses and did some of the back up vocals. Just FYI. This was before I had Reaper up and running. We recorded that track on his big fancy hd recorder only. We didn't do any editing on computer at all. We just did it in one afternoon for fun. He had his settings, mics, and studio all set up though, had done lots of stuff there.. Didn't want to take credit for mixing that one..wasn't me..
I think I have this info. on r.n. but you may not have read the entire profile.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #93
moio

Quote:
Infinite ego- love the vibe of chicon masks, love the bass on overrated. repressive desublimation..cool fx on vocals, smooth transitions, smoking guitar synth..
pillsbury- this train, if ya love me, my favs
freeze tag- scapegoat is great, love the vocals vibe, esp. in beginning
butane prophet- fav, hole in the head, also asleep at the wheel
spike- fav moment, and honesty
kaspar torn- awesome arrangements/guitar..fav pole shift, android
valtrexys- cool stuff, fav vibetribe and beans for brfst
darren- fav coming home
hephaestus- fav pyche and free
greg- wonderful guitar/+voice, love your stuff
gigawatt- not my style, but talented
haunting h- great sound, fav ring, tangled
san celeste- fav aspiring for gutter
scottedog- love your stuff, and your tiny terror and sounds you get
If I could sound like you I'd have 2! It was on my wishlist for a long time..sadly, I never pulled the trigger..got a POD for a gift...
Stewart- very, very nice guitar, love it
dinologic- fav out of my head, texas lullabye and yes, YOU may feel better about yourself if you listen to me...for sure..
ceramoniah- fav minds eye
aaroncheney- didn't find your site, did you take it down?
tedwood- awesome chops, fav dreaming
tallisman- not my style, but cool stuff and great work
cornpone- fav that looks perfect, great stuff, enjoyed it
music to murder- fav crawl, love the vibe
diesel- broken glass, hogs holler, no blues, favs
msorenson- fav strenuously lazy, great stuff
erosioncode- love your metal guitar/drum sound, great playing

yeah, you forgot me ;-) can't find you, whats your name on RN?
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #94
spikemullings

To djz and victoriousmusic

Thanks for doing all that listening and for feeding back!

I haven't had much time recently but I hope to get to your stuff (and scott's new one and ted's and some others) soon and I look forward to returning the favour.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #95
victoriousmusic

mojo- so sorry, didn't do it on purpose. Do you have a link to RN or just go to the links in your sig?

My RN acct. is under the name minstrels muse. I will give a listen to your stuff, love guitar works..

No problem spike, glad to do it. I really enjoyed listening to all the great music made by reaperites.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #96
moio

Quote:
mojo- so sorry, didn't do it on purpose. Do you have a link to RN or just go to the links in your sig?

My RN acct. is under the name minstrels muse. I will give a listen to your stuff, love guitar works..

No problem spike, glad to do it. I really enjoyed listening to all the great music made by reaperites.
done ;-)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #97
victoriousmusic

mojo - I went to CD baby, but only can hear samples of the tunes. They sound marvelous though. I may have to just buy those tracks..I especially love the one with the wah in it. I forget the title, but it was my fav vibe of all. You go from really rocking down to quiet and peaceful, almost enya like..very diverse and very cool. Sometimes you wanna rock, sometimes chill, perfect. To say that you have a great talent on guitar would be an understatement..
I clicked on the link to your site in your sig and my virus scanner screamed at me and wouldn't open it. Not sure what that is about..

Thank you for fanning me at RN, and everyone else who did...I'm starting to feel like a real member on there..Thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #98
Tedwood

Hey VM, It's great that you listened to all our stuff and commented. I'm particularly made up you liked my instrumental and I will fan you right now, just because I'm a fan of anyone that's a fan of mine

Sorry didn't hear your tracks just yet but I promise to listen

Hey I see you have a number 1, cool!

I just went up to number 21 from 24 for my Dreaming.

There truly are some amazing talents on this forum.

Best

Ted
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #99
moio

Quote:
mojo - I went to CD baby, but only can hear samples of the tunes. They sound marvelous though. I may have to just buy those tracks..I especially love the one with the wah in it. I forget the title, but it was my fav vibe of all. You go from really rocking down to quiet and peaceful, almost enya like..very diverse and very cool. Sometimes you wanna rock, sometimes chill, perfect. To say that you have a great talent on guitar would be an understatement..
I clicked on the link to your site in your sig and my virus scanner screamed at me and wouldn't open it. Not sure what that is about..

Thank you for fanning me at RN, and everyone else who did...I'm starting to feel like a real member on there..Thanks!
Thank you, I feel flattered :-)
you can find my Songs on reverbnation, too:
www.reverbnation.com/moio
Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #100
victoriousmusic

ted- I'll be your fan whether you fan me or not.

mojo- thanks for the RN link. I should think you'd be getting used to being flattered, but it's nice you are still so humble.

so many great guitarist on here. Who needs radio or cd's when we have such great talent right here?
I'm going to dl some of my favs and make a playlist to enjoy anytime..my reaper list..
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #101
Tedwood

Quote:
ted- I'll be your fan whether you fan me or not.
Sure VM - Fans forever

To be truthful I like Every Inch the best, it's not a perfect production but it matters little to me. I like the honesty of something that sounds a little bit "home made". The lead guitar is very well played. It has a somewhat nostalgic sound about it, like how guitars sounded before all the distortion came in.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #102
victoriousmusic

Ted,
Thanks so much for the honest critique. I'm never too sure about playing lead guitar as I'm pretty new to it, but it means an awful lot to me that you think it sounds good. Your guitar playing is awesome, that's part of the reason your instrumental track stood out to me so much. I found I just wanted to hear you play more, without the vocal..(yes, I'm weird)
Yes, very home made. Every Inch is my 1st ever complete Reaper project, and honestly I think I recorded some of it too hot (analog learned). I plan on redoing it to see if I can make it better. I have to actually start over as I had a hd crash on me (my backup) and I have none of the ind. files, only the mixdown. I think it may be good to start over anyway.
I appreciate your heartfelt comments.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #103
Artbay

Quote:
Who needs radio or cd's when we have such great talent right here?
same here - rn is now my internet radio station at work. they only play my requests all day long!

p.s. minstrel's muse: i used to drive through vernon all the time. it was the halfway point between fort worth and amarillo where my parents used to live.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #104
victoriousmusic

artbay,
didn't realize anyone knew where Vernon was, much less had to come here! Nothing here..one day I'll escape somewhere, anywhere...been here for 15 years..ready for a change.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #105
Artbay

Quote:
artbay,
didn't realize anyone knew where Vernon was, much less had to come here! Nothing here...
...and vernon is way bigger than the town where i went to elementary school. pop.250 and shrinking...

didn't vernon have a gospel music get-together for a few years in that stone building on 287?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #106
victoriousmusic

That is actually in Goodlett, which is quite a ways from here. I've been there a few times. I was supposed to be in a musical a few years ago, but when the date got postponed and rehearsals were going to last 2 extra months, I dropped out. They've had some pretty good shows over there from what I have heard.
You ever heard of the studio in Odell? It's north of vernon. I used to work with the guy who owned it, helped him do some tracking, and we played some jazz locally a few years back. his studio got wrecked by a bad wind storm and I don't think he's ever reopened. Too bad, it was awesome. He took the old post office building and converted it into a studio. Separate vocal booth, drum room, live room, etc..local musicians used to gather out there weekly. It was called "coyote dreams".
I lived in the metroplex for years. I really miss it sometimes, just having access to everything..a good restaurant, shopping, music stores, you know, basic necessities..oh well, rent is cheaper here..
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #107
Artbay

Quote:
That is actually in Goodlett, which is quite a ways from here. I've been there a few times. I was supposed to be in a musical a few years ago, but when the date got postponed and rehearsals were going to last 2 extra months, I dropped out. They've had some pretty good shows over there from what I have heard.
mom & dad saw a couple of those shows, i only remember the signs by the building.
Quote:
You ever heard of the studio in Odell? It's north of vernon. I used to work with the guy who owned it, helped him do some tracking, and we played some jazz locally a few years back. his studio got wrecked by a bad wind storm and I don't think he's ever reopened. Too bad, it was awesome. He took the old post office building and converted it into a studio. Separate vocal booth, drum room, live room, etc..local musicians used to gather out there weekly. It was called "coyote dreams".
i know the town name (and the windstorms ) but not the studio.
Quote:
I lived in the metroplex for years. I really miss it sometimes, just having access to everything..a good restaurant, shopping, music stores, you know, basic necessities..oh well, rent is cheaper here..
there's definite tradeoffs...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #108
cyberturbo

http://www.reverbnation.com/sacreddawn

Will fan you guys soon.
cyberturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #109
victoriousmusic

cyberturbo,
Great sound! Love Delirium. Guitar sounds great. Rhythmic content is very precise. Good stuff! congrats
Became your fan
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #110
Nineofkings

http://www.reverbnation.com/nineofkings
Nineofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #111
scottedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberturbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineofkings View Post
Done. Will listen soon.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #112
cyberturbo

Quote:
cyberturbo,
Great sound! Love Delirium. Guitar sounds great. Rhythmic content is very precise. Good stuff! congrats
Became your fan
Thank you for your kind words! Have fanned you as well.

Everyone else: I've fanned everyone else. Let me know if I've missed someone.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #113
Sheppola

Sorry.I came to the thread late.I'm already a fan of many of the posters and they of my Page.I found Reverbnation quite a few years ago when I was looking for a better music host than several around and encouraged others on here to join.
Yes it has it's limitations but at least so long as you keep your file size down to under 8 meg they don't ruin the sound like some places do and I like its format

They also make it quite easy to release a CD.

Unless I'm forgetful I always reciprocate a fan request
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #114
cyberturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppola View Post
Unless I'm forgetful I always reciprocate a fan request
Is your name Paul or Doug? Just fanned you as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #115
Sheppola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberturbo View Post
Is your name Paul or Doug? Just fanned you as well.
I go by many names,some spelt with only 4 letters<BFG>

If you are Sacred Dawn I've reciprocated.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #116
victoriousmusic

Shep,
Great stuff! I am a fan for life! Seriously, very impressive stuff. Going on my RN radio list for sure! You Rock!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #117
djz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemullings View Post
To djz and victoriousmusic

Thanks for doing all that listening and for feeding back!

I haven't had much time recently but I hope to get to your stuff (and scott's new one and ted's and some others) soon and I look forward to returning the favour.
I've had a few fannings trickle in that I haven't had chance to do feedback on. Way too busy! Hopefully will have a chance to check some of this stuff out more thoroughly next week.

There is a new(ish) track up now, called EarWig. I think it's one of our more "accessible" tunes...hehehe. Been getting a lot of "huh?" feedback (not from here) for some of the more out there stuff.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #118
thequietroom

Don't mean to go off topic, but does anyone else have trouble with the RN player? Ive noticed on 2 different computers that I can usually only play one song.. then it fails to buffer the next song. I have to re-open a new explorer window to start another song.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #119
Artbay

Quote:
Don't mean to go off topic, but does anyone else have trouble with the RN player? Ive noticed on 2 different computers that I can usually only play one song.. then it fails to buffer the next song. I have to re-open a new explorer window to start another song.
i'll get an occasional hangup where it won't start the next song in a playlist, but it's not a one-song-only problem like you describe...

random thoughts:
have you tried rn in different browsers?
are your flash players up-to-date?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #120
Sheppola

Same here from time to time.I just put it down to Internet Traffic/Time of day.Remember all these servers only have a finite bandwidth and,"Free" ones won't guarantee Data streams.

Note also you should clean out your Temp internet folders on a regular basis any way as there can always be damaged and bogus cookies preventing things.

I've used CCleaner for years as have many,

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I also clean my registry on a regular basis for the same reason e.g dirty data/entries

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/