Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #81
REAmix
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass6 View Post
I did suggest a more primitive version of this idea a few months back (December, January time?) but it got little support at the time - I think people thought it would add too much work to the voting process, and take away the subjective element involved in judging a mix. But maybe times have changed?
I'd certainly be in favour of achieving a level of consistency in the voting process, but which criteria would we use? I'm not sure it would be helpful to jump into weeks of debate trying to decide how to structure things, but I think I asked originally if any of our more experienced hands had any knowledge of how other mix competitions are/were judged. So, anyone know? Might avoid reinventing that round thing on the corners of cars, eh?
Ya, I remember that, it's a good idea, it depends on how it is setup though. Some help from experienced people would be great also. It depends on the contest though, how similar we want it to be, because we don't want anything too elaborate, but I guess that's maybe pretty common. I'm thinking how things are weighted might matter also, but, idk how to weight it.

In my example above, I said we could score 5 for every category, but I think that's a mistake. Idk what's the right way though. That's what's tough for me. I mean, I get to a mix and I'm like "I like how the levels are in this one, but I don't like that reverb on the whatever. On this other one, I like that part better, but this other part, I don't like as much." And that's where it gets a bit tough for me.

I also usually immediately learn what people aren't going to like about my mix, whenever I hear the other submissions. That helps me see what I can improve as well. I know something I would change for this one already.

Someone said earlier that they chose the best sounding mix on their laptop speakers. I agree that sounding good on a lot of speakers is important, but I think it's more important that a mix sounds good on a good system, than it does on laptop speakers. If someone gets these nice headphones or whatever and listens to your mix and it sounds like garbage, but it sounds nice on your laptop speakers, that's not ideal, imo. For me, it's better the other way around, although you do want to get your mix sounding good on a lot of speakers. For me though, I think it is faster for voting to just listen on your go to system, and judge like that, and the variety of systems people have should take care of the "good on every system" factor, so we don't need to worry about that, and take the time to listen on multiple speakers for voting.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #82
DaveKeehl

guys I checked the votes and 13 people have already voted! in just 2-3 days! You're amazing! :O
Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #83
Bass6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
guys I checked the votes and 13 people have already voted! in just 2-3 days! You're amazing! :O
Right back atcha Dave old son.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #84
mawi

Quote:
yep, everything is now online you can also vote
Done today. As a participant I did not evaluate my own mix. How do you do this?
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #85
cnyk

I'm pretty sure you just vote for the one you think sounds best.
cnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #86
REAmix

At least most people don't include themselves in the voting. I have my own personal vote where I include myself and see where I think I am, but I only ever vote for 3 mixes I like most, myself not included.

That's really what we are supposed to do on the honor system. But some people might vote for themselves anyway. It's impossible to know. Not such a big deal though, there is no prize or anything for winning.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #87
cnyk

So even if you think your mix was best, you vote for someone else? That doesn't sound right to me. While I think it's tough for some to honestly vote for someone else with a better mix, I don't think it should be a "rule", considering sometimes YOUR mix, will honestly be the best to your ears.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #88
martinmadero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyk View Post
So even if you think your mix was best, you vote for someone else? That doesn't sound right to me. While I think it's tough for some to honestly vote for someone else with a better mix, I don't think it should be a "rule", considering sometimes YOUR mix, will honestly be the best to your ears.

The only thing that we can do for this situation, is that the judge don´t participate in the contest.
Otherwise, i totally agreed with your point of view.
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #89
RDBOIS
Banned

I would never vote for my own mix, no matter what. It's just wayyyy to relative what "sounds best"...

For example, if I really really really like reverb and swamp my mix with mega-reverb, then of course all the other mixes will not have enough reverb, and my MIX will be the best. Or, if I have really bad speakers and I can't hear the low end properly, then I'll put huge amounts of bass in my mix, and all the other mixes will suck when compared to mine.

But in the grand scheme of things my mix will probably sucks for 99% of the population, and they will let me know in the voting process.

See what I mean?!

No, I would not vote for myself.

Not to mention that most people, including myself, have been conditioned (i.e. socially engineered) to have narcissistic tendencies. This contest if a great occasion to learn humility and modesty. Not to mention a kick in the ego when you think you had a good mix and very little votes came your way.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #90
trevlyns

if we all voted for our own mix - nobody would win!
Old 04-27-2017, 01:56 AM   #91
DaveKeehl

we just hit 16 votes! This makes April the most successful month for the voting stage after the first 2 months which were kinda still a bit of an experiment!

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 04-27-2017 at 02:02 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:21 AM   #92
Bri1
Banned

The way I see it is- every mix/mixer is a winner.
The very act of taking part in something a community creates-is the real value and prize. {imo}
Reasults will still be different even if all used the same plugins.
The odds of 2 or more people hitting the same spots on faders and plugin parameters,are fairly high 1 would imagine.
I guess as participant numbers increased,them odds decrease.
Thanks to DaveKeehl for inviting people to enter.
I feel competition is a double edged sword- 1 side it's another way to war (although most peacefully) // the other side is these things bring out the creative and record making\/breaking - part of peoples.
Cheerz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #93
REAmix

Quote:
So even if you think your mix was best, you vote for someone else?
Ya, I personally think it's better that way. There a re points both ways, but I prefer it that way, and that's the way most people have been doing it, afaik.

If this was some real competition with a prize, then obviously vote for yourself and everybody would and should, but it's not a competition like that.

One advantage, is that if we assume the best producers have the best ears and setup to judge better, then removing themselves, shares that for one more track. There are other reasons also.

It doesn't actually matter who wins, so why would you vote for yourself, even if you have the best mix?

That shouldn't make you lose, first of all, since it is a pts system, but also, even if you have the better mix and you don't win, it doesn't really matter.

It's normal to like your own mix. You deliberately made it how it is. I just think it's better to remove yourself from the judging since you are biased.

Think of all the pts that would be spread out, if people voted for themselves. It's a better voting system with a small sample size to exclude yourself also, imo. All those pts normally wasted and cancelling out, would instead be spent on making a clear top 3.

Last edited by REAmix; 04-27-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #94
cnyk

If we couldn't hear our own mixes in the lineup when voting, I'd agree 100%. But we do, and since the point is to vote for which sounds best, it seems silly to me to not vote for which sounds best. I have no problem hearing a better mix and voting for it, but if you do, I agree it makes sense to skip your own.

Just participating in the last two contests I've learned a lot about Reaper. Another thing that's interesting is how very distinctly different each mix sounds. Fun stuff, thanks for facilitating it Dave.

Last edited by cnyk; 04-27-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #95
msundh

Quote:
we just hit 16 votes! This makes April the most successful month for the voting stage after the first 2 months which were kinda still a bit of an experiment!
So there were less voters than contributers last month!?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #96
REAmix

Quote:
If we couldn't hear our own mixes in the lineup when voting, I'd agree 100%. But we do, and since the point is to vote for which sounds best, it seems silly to me to not vote for which sounds best. I have no problem hearing a better mix and voting for it, but if you do, I agree it makes sense to skip your own.
Everybody is biased towards themselves, and the setup they made their mix on.

You can vote for yourself if you want to, but from what I can tell from prior discussions like this is a number of people don't. Imo, voting for yourself is in poor taste, and makes the friendly competition worse/gives less feedback to others. If that's what you want to do though, go right ahead, I won't try and stop you.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #97
msundh

Just add it to the rules.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #98
cnyk

Only in poor taste of you heard better mixes and still voted for your own. When I found this page/ thread, i was (and still am) excited to study the winning mixes. It would be unfortunate and far less beneficial if voters weren't honestly voting for what they considered the best mix... increasing the likelihood a "best mix" doesn't win. I'm all for warm and fuzzy, but honestly voting seems more important to me.. either way, may the best mix win!

I'm such a novice with reaper, I'm eager to soak up all the knowledge I can!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #99
Lunganar

If you vote for your own mix, you still have to choose a second and third mix too. Even if everyone votes for himself, the best mix will come up through the second and third choices, no? In the end i don't think it really matters, the best one will win.
For me it feels awkward to vote on something I made myself, but that's me. I liked the project, had fun, learned some things by listening to others,feeling ashamed of my mistakes. We only win if it makes us better mixers.
Lunganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #100
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunganar View Post
We only win if it makes us better mixers.
Great point man
Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #101
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
So there were less voters than contributers last month!?
Yes. 16 entries and 14 votes.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #102
DaveKeehl

Last day to vote folks. I'm going to close the survey tonight. The results will come out between tomorrow and Sunday morning (GMT+1 time)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #103
REAmix

I just think it makes more sense to vote on other mixes, because you have a different system than was used to make the mix, and also it spreads around the opinions more. If people vote for their own, then that would essentially be all the first place votes canceled out. Or, some people might not think their mix is the best, but there will always be some level of bias, to what degree, is hard to say, and it depends on the person, and their system.

Let's say a top world pro came and did a mix, and voted for themselves. There would be some waste of the wisdom of a top pro, because instead of voting for 3 other people, and giving their opinion on 3 mixes, they would select themselves, which is a given, and only 2 others. So, we would get 33% more wisdom if we agreed not to vote for ourselves.

If we postulate that the people that consistently make the top spots have the best advice to give, either due to their system, or their ears, or both, then those are the people we don't want voting for themselves the most. So, if you DO like yours the most, and you do have a good objective unbiased opinion on that, then that's where voting for yourself hurts the purpose of the competition the most. It's not about winning. There is nothing to win here.

If you don't vote for yourself, you giveup 3 pts, and like you said, you should still win with enough votes from other people.

But, if you look at it pts wise, voting for yourself wastes half of the pts you have to distribute, on yourself. Now let's imagine we all had the same taste and would always vote the same. Then, by not voting for ourselves, the top 3 would be each giving out pts that would establish a 4th place. So, again, you are giving more information to the competitors.

I also don't think it's as gentleman-like, personally. It doesn't matter to me if you think yours is actually the best, or the second best, or not in the running. I prefer the humility of not voting for yourself, over the desire to "win", especially if all that is is bragging rights.

If you think your own opinion is so sound, you might as well not even enter a competition to win nothing, and just make a mix and judge to yourself how good you think it is. Or, just listen to all the mixes, make your own decision, and just go with that. If you believe there is no bias, then what's the point of taking other people's votes into account in the first place?

This competition is people getting together and judging each other's work, and giving some feedback that way, so we can improve together. It's not about winning. It's more about learning, and I think you take away from that when you vote for yourself. Who wins is really irrelevant, and caring so much about it seems a little petty to me. I mean, you want it to be fair, obviously, or else what's the point, but not voting for yourself isn't unfair.

In both cases, if everyone votes for themselves or not, the ones that deserved to win, should still win. Where it gets a little hazy and people get an advantage from voting for themselves, is when some people vote for themselves, and some don't. But that's ok to me. If people want to win a meaningless competition by giving themselves an edge by voting for themselves, I'm not really bothered. I'd rather lose by 2pts not having voted for myself, than win by 2pts having done so. Even at that though, I don't really care for getting more pts than other people. The voting is cool, and the competition is cool, but if I come a spot or two lower than had I voted for myself, I'm ok with that. I want to beat myself from last week, that's all I really care about, and for others to do the same for themselves.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #104
Lunganar

If it's not bout winning, then it shouldn't be called a competition. I just like the idea of choosing a best mix, and check what makes it a good mix. And when I say 'winning' I mean gaining something like knowledge. I happened To 'win' some competitions (sound for shortfilms) in school. It's not important to be better then the rest, allthough you can experience the feeling you get when you really pleased some people, cause that's one of the reasons you're in this. And then you know you're on the good way. But even then you have to remain humble. I never thought i was going to win, cause i see where I made mistakes and still can improve. I'm not expecting to win this competition, but if I do, I hope I get some serious critics instead of 'well done, like your drums', cause I like them too. Learn me something, tell me where I can improve.
Lunganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #105
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunganar View Post
If it's not bout winning, then it shouldn't be called a competition.
Quote:
And when I say 'winning' I mean gaining something like knowledge.
I'm not sure about the first sentence if we then change the definition of winning because that's really just finding a different way of saying "It isn't about winning".

The entire point of the contest was learning and sharing knowledge; that involves someone being voted best mix in order for those who may not have much mixing experience to understand what makes one mix better than the other overall. AKA the one most voters feel are the best.

ReaMix is right about the all or none problem when it comes to voting for one's self or not. So, it's probably best none do for consistency of weighting alone. IMHO, we don't need a flurry of 'deep thoughts' on the matter in order to pick the most logical way of solving that problem.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about 'but I think my mix is best' because the vote you throw by not voting for yourself will be made up by some other voter in the same position if it really is best.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-28-2017 at 11:07 AM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #106
Fergler

I don't know about you guys, but I don't weigh mixes by adding up positives like "well, this mix had the best balance, and although I didn't like the volume guitar at X overall it had a good tone, and the vocal came through nicely (but too much slap back echo)".

I vote by omitting anything that just sounds totally wrong to me, pretty fast. I filter through all the mixes with excessive delay, flanging snares, excessive reverb used arbitrarily on a performance where no reverb was part of the arrangement, boomy kicks, etc. What remains usually comes down to balance, editing, and contextual processing choices making sense.

I'm especially looking out for editing, in this song. It was obvious some contestants cleaned up the intro nicely and others left it completely untouched. Yes.. what's live is live, but if you've got the chance to edit it and you can pull it off without drawing attention to the edits... then as far as the listener is concerned, what you edited out was never there to begin with.

For example this track had kick drum noises surrounding the actual hits. A gate, at least at the start, was an obvious fix. Then there is the crowd noise thing. Lots of interpretations on that.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #107
DaveKeehl

Here are the results for April

Well done mawi and 3ee!

Mawi you can choose a song for May

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 04-29-2017 at 09:40 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #108
3ee

wow cool!

just checked, I did vote for mawi as the winning mix, I though it was the best from the batch.. so, congrats! :tu:

as negative comments on his mix:
the kick was a bit tubby/upfront and the gtr / piano stereo balance wasn't really spot on, a bit distracting.

as for my mix: seems I was too polite with the kick/bass (I always put them too upfront so this time I balanced more looking at the spectrum analyzer)... and overall, the sound doesn't have that pleasant tone/image.. like in mawi's mix for example, the instruments simply sound pleasant!

If someone has some constructive criticism for me, that would be welcomed, will return the favor!
3ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #109
msundh

Yeah I got a vote!!!
Yes, singular. I voted on my own contribution. Last time, promise.

This was so much different than last month.
Last month I thought there was 2 that stand out and a few that was good.
My opinion correlated very much with the result.
This time was very different.
There was no mix that I think was really good (sorry all, me included).
My voting didn't correlate with the result, except for 3ee (my number one).

The fact that my opinion is so far from the result makes my support the discussion about replace voting for 1,2,3 with giving each contribution a point for a couple of criterias.
Since it is only us contributng that votes, lets make us learn more by reveiving feed back on various criterias.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #110
RDBOIS
Banned

In the spirit of learning/sharing, in a few words, I’m offering my own bias perspective on all the mixes (don’t hate on me for speaking these words… I’m just an amateur, but my intentions are good, perhaps this can stimulate some debates/conversations?):

1: That was my mix. I like the bass, kick and vocal, but the instruments are not bright enough. I can hear now what I couldn’t before. Darn it!

2: I voted this mix in 2nd place. Well balanced from the get go, good low end, nice snare. Vocal was not in front enough to be my number 1

3: This was my number 1. Well balanced from the get go, has the best/clear “clap your hands if you want too” which I personally liked, good low end and I like the vocal positioning.

4: Was a good mix, but the bass was too muffled and the instruments were sitting in the back with the reverb. Would be a good vocal centered mix, just like mix number 1, but lost its appeal compared to the excitement of the instrumentally centered mixes that also had vocal in the front.

5: Started out good, really cool guitar sound, but why push the back vocal so far? Too bad…

6: This mix had odd reverb in the drum roll in the intro (the start of a song is a place to have something sticking out). Vocals were good. The guitar part was hard to distinguish in certain parts of the song. Kick did not have enough low end.

7: Way too much reverb. The kick drum in the intro was someone stomping on a wood floor. The bass was muffled. It’s like the song was veiled in a fog of sorts. Did I say too much reverb?

8: The spoken voice “Claps your hands if you want too” was cut (mistake?) This prompted a WTF moment right at the start of the song, which is a bad place. I say too bad because the mix was actually very good. I would have been my number 1, but ended up my number 3. I really liked the vocals and the overall balance.

9: Very long strange few seconds of silence in the intro…, mix was too foggy in the reverb; the bass and kick were not present enough and the piano also lacked presence in many places.

10: Kick could have a bit more low end. Vocals were well seated, but some places were a bit too loud. The bass vanished in some places in the song. Was a good mix.

11: Kick lacked some low end and needed cleaning. The piano and guitar were not bright enough. If the vocals were at bit more in the front it would have been a vocal -centered mix, which is a good strategy. Kind of like my mix (number 1). Was a good mix, but I think I’m hearing some weird distortions /phasing issues in the back vocals in some places? Did you use REATUNE to correct some vocal pitch issues?

12: Not enough low end in the kick drum. Lacking brightness in the over mix/instruments. A bit of mud was detected. Vocal volume dips in some places. Not a bad mix at all. I’m hearing some weird distortions /phasing issues in the main vocal in some places? Did you use REATUNE to correct some vocal pitch issues?

13: Kick lacks low end. Vocals had a bit too much reverb/delay relative to the rest of the instruments. Not bad at all, just a relative thing. The guitar cuts across, but other instruments are a bit foggy (mud or reverb issue?). Kind of like mix 1, 4, 7, 8, 11… Not a bad mix, just a bit more presence/brightness needed.

14: Kick had more low end than the bass (not balanced enough). The main vocal had too much reverb compared to the rest (it was sitting way in the back, especially compared to the main guitar, for example. Something with the snare? Not sure.

Well. That's all I got.

Congrats to the winner and everyone for participating.

Feel free to disagree with my observations
Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #111
3ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
11: Kick lacked some low end and needed cleaning. The piano and guitar were not bright enough. If the vocals were at bit more in the front it would have been a vocal -centered mix, which is a good strategy. Kind of like my mix (number 1). Was a good mix, but I think I’m hearing some weird distortions /phasing issues in the back vocals in some places? Did you use REATUNE to correct some vocal pitch issues?
Thanks for the feedback!

kick: Clearly needs more lows and I guess that "cleaning" here means there should be some more low-mid eq cuts here and there.. probably was too conservative again!

the weird phasing on the bg vocals (and not only) comes from an effect return that features ReaPitch as a chorus effect... I liked the effect and maybe forgot to check it in the mix if it's doing more than needed.

comments on your mix "1":

-kick a bit too suby-resonant-long
-vocals need a bit more de-essing type control
-vocals need to be better "blended" with the mix with some suited ambiance, they feel a bit too dry/upfront from the rest of the instruments.
-did you try something "stereo" on the bass? ..interesting
3ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #112
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ee View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

-kick a bit too suby-resonant-long
-vocals need a bit more de-essing type control
-vocals need to be better "blended" with the mix with some suited ambiance, they feel a bit too dry/upfront from the rest of the instruments.
-did you try something "stereo" on the bass? ..interesting
Thanks to you too.

Yeah I was aiming for a "vocal-centered" mix, but did not make the instruments bright enough. I did a "pain frequency" cut at 1-2K, but it made things too dull (I tend to like non-tiring mixs: pain free). Perhaps this song (i.e. a live recording was not the right type of song for taming the pain; perhaps it needed a bit of pain excitement in the 1-2K?).

Yeah, I did try a bit of stereo on the bass. I was experimenting

I also experimented in the mixing process: I took the "rough mix track" and mixed in a few isolated instruments and some vocals. I sort of "augmented" the rough mix, rather then mix a brand new version.

Meh... I'm not very good with live performances; all the microphone bleeding, poor sounding drum hits, poor microphone technique from the singer, etc. I guess I should learn how to mix these song recordings, but in my everyday life it's just me in my home studio laying down clean tracks with or without VSTi's. Darn those live recording; it's a skill on its own.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #113
mawi

Wow, I am glad that I could land a hit on the first attempt. The evaluation of the mixes I found very difficult. Because there are different but good mixes.
  • My 1st place was Ferglers Mix. Unfortunately, the guitar and piano in his mix is somewhat dull and could be a bit louder. And his bass could be a bit rounder / deeper by removing some lower mids. But thats my taste.
  • 2nd place for me was 3ee's Mix. I find his kick is a bit boxy and the toms and the bass are a little untidy. I find it a pity that the atmosphere at the beginning and end are gone.
  • My 3rd place was trevlyns Mix. Also here a pity that the atmosphere at the beginning and end are away. The echo is a bit too loud. The piano could panned counterbalance to the guitar on the right side.

In my mix, I would automate the gate of the lead vocals at the beginning and end because they are a bit cut off.

When can we download the REAPER projects?

For the next contest I would like to mix some Dance/Pop/Rock. I chose this song: Juliet's Rescue - Heartbeats

Sorry for my bad Google English

Last edited by mawi; 04-29-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #114
msundh

Was I the only one that thought the bg vox was out of tune?

My notes. Don't remember details.

1: - bg vox.
2: - bg vox, - guitar
3: bg vox too dry, good bass, good drums, but too loud
4: too much reverb, unbalanced
5: no bg vox, guitar too panned
6: kick too much reverb. sharp clap
7: obvious gate effect in the beginning.
8: obvious gate effect in the beginning. didn't like the bg vox
9: mine
10: too much reverb, lead vox un even. some srious pops
11: too much cymbal. my numer one.
12: dry. guitar too low. good bg vox.
13: too loud bass. muddy reverb. bad bg vox
14: lead vox too low. bg vox uneven. bag guitar
Old 04-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #115
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ee View Post
I guess that "cleaning" here means...
Forgot to explain in my last message: to understanding what I mean, listen to the kick in mix 8. This is a clean kick! He mentioned something about gating the kick... This was needed to get rid of the bleed. His kick is goooood.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #116
martinmadero

First of all, congratulations to the winners!!!!
And i like very much that this contest has new users, we will learn too much from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
3: This was my number 1. Well balanced from the get go, has the best/clear “clap your hands if you want too” which I personally liked, good low end and I like the vocal positioning.
thank you RDBOIS for your feedback! i actually read all of your comments, and i agree most of this.

Here is my devolutions (i will do in spanish):

1: La primera vez que lo escuché me gustó, me pareció muy consistente. Los niveles de volumen estan donde tienen que estar, al igual que los paneos. Solo los coros estan a mi gusto un poco por encima del nivel. El unico problema de esta mezcla fue la EQ final, quizá menos graves hubieran centrado mejor los instrumentos y realzado la voz.

2: Excelente mezcla. Para mi gusto la mejor. Bien ecualizada, bien los instrumentos. Muy bien!

3: Mia

4: Una mezcla bien pump, broadcast style. Tiene su personalidad. Ahora que la escucho de nuevo me parece una buena mezcla, tal vez le saca la cuestión del "vivo", ya que para mi la vibra de la canción va para otro lado. Tal vez mucho reverb en la guitarra. Pero tiene fuerza. Y eso cuenta.

5: Me gusta. Los nives de la voz suenan un poco abajo, y el bajo tal vez debería estar un poco por abajo de la parte rítmica. Algo menos de separación entre la guitarra y los pianos.

6: Los niveles son correctos, me gusta la EQ final. Tal vez algo menos de compresion sobre el final.

7: Toda la mezcla suena apagada, la voz principal un poco metálica por momentos, demasiada compresión o punch sobre la parte rítmica.

8: Nice mix. Otra de mis favoritas. Me gusta el sonido general, los instrumentos estan en su lugar. Quiza un poco mas arriba la voz principal y el volumen final de la mezcla. Pero la EQ es correcta para mi gusto.

9: Mucho EQ en el mid-range. Poco realce general. La voz principal está bien ecualizada y los volumenes son correctos.

10: Esta correcta la mezcla, a mi gusto no es la EQ que me gusta.

11: Suena bien. Como una mezcla que se hizo sobre mono y se pasó a estereo, esta bien balanceada.

12: Se escucha un efecto Phase sobre la voz en muchos momentos, eso a mi gusto estropeó la mezcla.

13: Me gusta mucho esta mezcla. Hubiera sido la mejor a mi gusto, sino hubiera sido porque no me gustan las voces con mucho reverb/delay.

14: Los coros muy altos en algunos momentos. La voz principal un poco abajo. La EQ final es correcta.
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #117
REAmix

Congrats to all the winners. Good job guys
Old 04-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #118
Bri1
Banned

Yep-congrats all- 1 thing did notice immediately,was the differences in kick tones.
Good jobz guyz n galz. =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #119
mawi

Hey 3ee, I just studied your REAPER Project. Interesting that you have pitched the drums and the piano down 1 octave. Why did you do that?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #120
cnyk

Congratulations! Good contest for sure.. I love the way you mixed the kicks. I couldn't seem to nail them. nice work!