Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 AM   #41
Fex
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
in his early recordings with e.g. Little Richard you can also hear a guitarist playing wrong notes and with a terrible rythm.
Yes, he was a bad guitarist, and then he became a mediocre guitarist, and then he became a great guitarist, and then he became dead.
He was still a great guitarist, though.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #42
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
I think the vocals could be improved with good pitch adjustment software.
(Ie, with Melodyne. Not with Autotune, which is crap.)
I always use Melodyne in all my vocals. This vocal was much worse before processing on Melodyne, trust me
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #43
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by saresu.bass View Post
I always use Melodyne in all my vocals. This vocal was much worse before processing on Melodyne, trust me
Ok... I'm still hearing a little pitch drift....

I think you're singing a little outside your natural range, and struggling with the low notes. It might help to raise the pitch a little, record the vocals, return the pitch to where it was, and adjust the formants.

Sometimes, singing along to a pitch corrected guide vocal can help a singer to stay in tune.

Best of all is to record the song in a key which suits your range in the first place....
Old 08-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #44
TheCaptain

Quote:
Ok... I'm still hearing a little pitch drift....

I think you're singing a little outside your natural range, and struggling with the low notes. It might help to raise the pitch a little, record the vocals, return the pitch to where it was, and adjust the formants.

Sometimes, singing along to a pitch corrected guide vocal can help a singer to stay in tune.

Best of all is to record the song in a key which suits your range in the first place....
This is all quite good stuff, what this here bloke said.

Furthermore, smash the fück out of those vocals with a compressor.

And come on mate, you are obviously talented, the guitars and bass sound pretty cool, so learn to sing in tune. You learned to play guitar, you can learn to sing in tune. Practice, practice, practice. Record a dozen different vocal tracks and comp them. I used to be a shit singer, but I worked at it and now I'm quite ok, so practice and work, there is no excuse. Everybody can sing in tune if they work at it.

If your voice then sounds exciting is another question.
TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #45
Cosmic

Just clicked two links and got nothing.
Was prepared to give you my honest expert opinion.

Man the fuck up.Post it and leave it long enough for us to hear it.

ANd fuck the haterz
Old 08-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #46
Dafinga

Quote:
The portuguese language often times sounds like this, a little out of tune
to ears that are not used to listen to this language, to me it sounds very interesting.
A language is a language. Pitch is pitch. If you're saying Portuguese speakers culturally sing out of tune ok... that may be (I'm not acquainted with any Portuguese music except Jorge Ben so I don't know) but the fact that it is Potuguese cannot make it sound out of tune.

This opinion is so strange to me that I'm led to wonder if you are not actually eight, once again conducting a clandestine study...
Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #47
TheCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Was prepared to give you my honest expert opinion.

Man the fuck up.Post it and leave it long enough for us to hear it.

ANd fuck the haterz
Yeah mate. You've got to scroll down to find something that works.

Tip to everybody:

If you do an update, edit the link in your first post.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #48
Fex

Quote:
Hmmm? This link still works....
https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/com...eview1/s-pM8mD
Old 08-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #49
Dafinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post

so practice and work, there is no excuse. Everybody can sing in tune if they work at it.
No, I don't believe this is true. We all have different limitations. Singing is a unique activity which involves precise control of parts of the body that have little or nothing to do with playing an instrument. Anybody can get better at something if they work at it - but they might still not be able to do it well. The only way to know if you'll be able to sing in tune is to work on it. You may or may not get the results you want.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #50
Cosmic

Quote:
Thats gorgeous.

Straight up..your voice is ok..but your mic technique is horrible.

Get up on that fucking thing.Sing into it like you were making love to a womans vagina.Get CLOSE.

Everything else sounds good.I could even like this song if ya gave it some fucking balls.

But as it stands..its watery.Make it louder ,harder.

Sing like your fucking life depended on it.Stop acting so sensitive.

Its a good song.Its not a great song.But its decent.
Its just finished and I can't remember it.Get a bit mad..
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #51
TheCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafinga View Post
No, I don't believe this is true. We all have different limitations. Singing is a unique activity which involves precise control of parts of the body that have little or nothing to do with playing an instrument. Anybody can get better at something if they work at it - but they might still not be able to do it well. The only way to know if you'll be able to sing in tune is to work on it. You may or may not get the results you want.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree slightly.

Singing in tune involves different body parts to playing guitar in tune. Agreed. But get that feedback loop cooking and you can do it. If you can't, then maybe you had the wrong teacher, or perhaps, and I'm not saying it's true in your case, after all, I don't know you, but for some people, certainly, it's because they are too lazy to work at their art.

On the other hand, some people can hit the notes perfectly, and still sound like crap, because their tone/feeling is not pleasing. These people are likely to have the required talent, they are just playing the wrong instrument.

Nevertheless, in this world of crap talent shows, I think a lot of people undervalue the importance of hard work.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #52
Dafinga

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but I disagree slightly.

Singing in tune involves different body parts to playing guitar in tune. Agreed. But get that feedback loop cooking and you can do it. If you can't, then maybe you had the wrong teacher, or perhaps, and I'm not saying it's true in your case, after all, I don't know you, but for some people, certainly, it's because they are too lazy to work at their art.

On the other hand, some people can hit the notes perfectly, and still sound like crap, because their tone/feeling is not pleasing. These people are likely to have the required talent, they are just playing the wrong instrument.

Nevertheless, in this world of crap talent shows, I think a lot of people undervalue the importance of hard work.
Yes, I agree, but with a slight nuance: Most people, especially musicians, will eventually be able to sing in tune with enough hard work, but for some the amount of work might be so high that it would be more beneficial to cultivate another craft. I completely agree with what you say about tone and feeling, and hard work, though. None of what I'm saying is based on personal experience by the way: I've never put serious work into singing. It's more about the logic of human limitations.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #53
saresu.bass

Quote:
It might help to raise the pitch a little, record the vocals, return the pitch to where it was, and adjust the formants.

It seems like a terrific idea, I've never thought about this. I'll definitely try on my next songs!

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #54
saresu.bass

Quote:
If your voice then sounds exciting is another question.
That's the point, for this reason I'll let the final vocal work to a real vocalist who knows how to do the thing.

My vision of my music project always been to have my songs sung by a singer, not me.
But because I couldn't find anyone to sing in this country-side-industrial-japanese city, I had to record them all with my voice.

I've never been into singing. I'm just a bass player.

It's just that instead of waiting on people to help me with this singing/songwriting work I just decided to start writing lyrics and record the vocals all myself so I can have a reference to work with once I move to a place where I can meet musicians etc...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #55
saresu.bass

Quote:
Straight up..your voice is ok..but your mic technique is horrible.
I'd say there's no mic technique at all

Quote:
Sing into it like you were making love to a womans vagina.Get CLOSE.
That's pure wisdom.

I envy you guys who can have such an intimacy with the mic.

The link is updated now. Thanks for listen and ur feedback!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #56
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafinga View Post
Most people, especially musicians, will eventually be able to sing in tune with enough hard work, but for some the amount of work might be so high that it would be more beneficial to cultivate another craft.
This is true for me.

Singing like a singer isn't for everyone.

I will develop this craft in my next life.

Last edited by saresu.bass; 08-28-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #57
Fex

Quote:
I couldn't find anyone to sing in this country-side-industrial-japanese city
You might have to bite the bullet, and venture into a karaoke bar.

Take ear plugs, and stay close to the exit. Very close.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #58
mschuster

i think this is a beautiful song!

i think your voice has potential if you keep working on it. i don't think attacking the mic is the answer, you just have to find your "own voice" and commit to it wholeheartedly. subtle/interesting can be good (e.g. Tom Waits), especially for this song.
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #59
Giano
Banned

[QUOTE=Dafinga;1396827]A language is a language. Pitch is pitch. If you're saying Portuguese speakers culturally sing out of tune ok... that may be (I'm not acquainted with any Portuguese music except Jorge Ben so I don't know) but the fact that it is Potuguese cannot make it sound out of tune.

QUOTE]

The portuguese language indeed sounds out of tune, especially when youare not used to hear that kind of language, try to listen to a speech in portuguese language and maybe you ll know what I mean.
Every language has a special character - cold, warm, temperamental, nasalized or whatever !

A Little Task: listen to french, chinese, hungarian and to croatian language ! Do you feel the difference !

clandestine study ?

Oh now I see

Dafinga - Da is for Dario !!! and finger = your guitar playing. Ha! Cool name !
Yeah I suppose you mean the matter when I gave you students the login here for a research,
did you all succeed ? I extended my trip abroad those days , almost forgot !
The topic was " The way Music Business spoils the youth or something like that or 2 or 3 topics, wasn´t it ?!
Now I get what you mean by mentioning "eight years old" ! How´s Pete ?

Last edited by Giano; 08-29-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #60
Giano
Banned

Some of you really did a real bad and mean job by making the OP believe he is not able to sing. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I like the voice and people like Céline Dion or Mariah Carey, they do think that they are good singers, but they sound so booooooring...
or why don´t you let Stevie Vai play guitar on your tracks ?!

If the OP sang like this***, I would maybe agree with some of you to some extend, but this is not the case. C´mon !??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BVvNE78lyc
Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #61
Cosmic

Quote:
Some of you really did a real bad and mean job by making the OP believe he is not able to sing. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I like the voice and people like Céline Dion or Mariah Carey, they do think that they are good singers, but they sound so booooooring...
or why don´t you let Stevie Vai play guitar on your tracks ?!

If the OP sang like this***, I would maybe agree with some of you to some extend, but this is not the case. C´mon !??

Hang on a minute there Giano..the OP solicited opinions on the track.

Should we just always make the nice?

If you like his singing fair enough..but don't make pricks of them that thought otherwise..them that were critiquing for the good of the song..not the OPS personal ego
Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #62
Fex

Quote:

You're right, let's attack the little kid instead....
Old 08-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #63
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Hang on a minute there Giano..the OP solicited opinions on the track.

Should we just always make the nice?

If you like his singing fair enough..but don't make pricks of them that thought otherwise..them that were critiquing for the good of the song..not the OPS personal ego
Your harsh way to crtiticize maybe ruined the career of a very unique and talented singer. Be aware of that !
Can´t you read his sad mssages, guess why he is sad ?!
Why should he ask the forum to evaluate if would not be happy about his beautiful work, maybe he did not think it is perfect, but now his self-confidence was attacked !

It´s one of the greatest voices I have heard for years and some of you just do not see that portuguese language sounds different from english.
Maybe one more example: listen to chinese or Indian language and/or singing - sounds even more out of tune, doesn´t it !
almost like a detuned or untuned guitar with bending strings.

His work is great ! very talentend !

... I hope the OP is as strong as Marvin Gaye was in the beginning of his career, his bad singing was ctritsized a lot, and
the songs were always written in a key he did not like, but he did not surrender, I hope the OP is as strong as he was,
but I am not sure ??!! But Marvin Gaye sang in English !

Last edited by Giano; 08-29-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #64
Cosmic

The music is beautiful and the tune has potential.100%

Last edited by Cosmic; 08-30-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #65
Fex

Quote:
Maybe one more example: listen to chinese or Indian language and/or singing - sounds even more out of tune, doesn´t it !
Most of it sounds perfectly in tune, but to some strange scale.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #66
BeeStang

pretty good. even tho i had no clue what u were saying.
BeeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #67
saresu.bass

Hey Giano, I really appreciate ur kind support, u seem to understand a lot about music, the nature and nuances of languages sounds and music styles like the indian and chinese stuff, their system of notes are so overwhelmingly complex with all those micro-semitons that they might sound ugly, out of tune or both for the ordinary western listener indeed.

But my case is different regarding my voice, I'm 100% aware of my vocal limitations and fortunately this a place where I can get help to see what I can't see/hear and to improve

It's all about being thirsty for awareness, dying to learn. In this case, all concepts based from ego reasonings are just silly and useless. I'm seriously not interested in compliments, they don't really help in anything.

As for all these "negative" comments about my voice, they all served to push me to create better vocal tracks next time, pointing out flaws, laziness, lacks, etc... things that should be erased, fixed.
I love Cosmic tracks, our styles are totally different but getting suggestions from him is a privilege.

I love this community and I'm very grateful for all these replies. I have implemented almost all of the stuff u guys posted in this thread. Lots of useful information here.

btw, there are more new songs to come and coincidentally they're in english. So no mercy when I post them
Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #68
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
i think this is a beautiful song!

i think your voice has potential if you keep working on it. i don't think attacking the mic is the answer, you just have to find your "own voice" and commit to it wholeheartedly. subtle/interesting can be good (e.g. Tom Waits), especially for this song.
Tom Waits...

His voice mutates along his albums, u got the Closing Time young voice, the Blue Valentine voice, the Frank Wild Years, Mule Variations voice, etc... Make it Rain! Ahhh... I worship Waits.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #69
Metusalem

Quote:
I'm putting together 5 songs to master my first EP, this is one of them.

(That's the updated link, this is the last mix where I've already implemented the replies suggested by the posts below on this thread)

I really need critics.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry ...But a lot of it is Perfect just Perfect...But nothing new to me..and some of the singing hitting the pich is of pich.. sorry but keep on, but please make something new ever heard..please you are so talented..( even if I dont know a Word Spanish ) Love Bent
Metusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #70
LOSANO

Quote:
I'm putting together 5 songs to master my first EP, this is one of them.

(That's the updated link, this is the last mix where I've already implemented the replies suggested by the posts below on this thread)

I really need critics.

Thank you in advance.
The sound is very great, all the instrument are well mixed and very nicely situated. The only element you must fix so it can align with the mix is your voice. Not that you are singing off keys, but you are way too upfront. bring it down a little.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #71
Dafinga

Quote:

The portuguese language indeed sounds out of tune, especially when youare not used to hear that kind of language, try to listen to a speech in portuguese language and maybe you ll know what I mean.
Every language has a special character - cold, warm, temperamental, nasalized or whatever !
Again, to me a language cannot sound in or out of tune. You mention Indian, Chinese music - these have never sounded out of tune to me and yet I don't speak them. When they do go out of tune, this is a musical/cultural factor. The OP's singing is out of tune, and that's that. It has nothing to do with the language. And if I check out Portuguese-language songs on Youtube they don't sound out of tune to me.

Quote:
Yeah I suppose you mean the matter when I gave you students the login here for a research,
did you all succeed ? I extended my trip abroad those days , almost forgot !
The topic was " The way Music Business spoils the youth or something like that or 2 or 3 topics, wasn´t it ?!
yes that's right. But the topic was the low quality of street musicians or something like that.

Quote:

Dafinga - Da is for Dario !!! and finger = your guitar playing. Ha! Cool name !
What??
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #72
Giano
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEaa9QGOd4

(Amália Rodrigues - Lágrima )

Try to listen to the complete track ! it´s 3:40 only

The first track I found in Portuguese in Youtube and if I had to comment on this track, I´d say that it sounds out of tune in a pleasant way - never heard someone sing that way in English, just because of the fact that English is a completely different language with a different timbre. Bob Dylon sometimes sang out of tune, but in a different way !
Or take a Flamenco track - voice often times is completely out of tune !!

Last edited by Giano; 09-01-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #73
Dafinga

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEaa9QGOd4

(Amália Rodrigues - Lágrima )

The first track I found in Portuguese in Youtube and if I had to comment on this track, I´d say that it sounds out of tune in a pleasant way - never heard someone sing that way in English, just because of the fact that English is a completely different language with a different timbre. Bob Dylon sometimes sang out of tune, but in a different way !
Or take a Flamenco track - voice often times is completely out of tune !!
yes I hear it - but it has nothing to do with the language. Why would it? OK since you mention flamenco - that's Spanish, I speak Spanish. What about the Spanish language would make it go out of tune?? If flamenco is often sung out of tune it's a cultural/musical convention.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #74
Dafinga

Quote:
Your harsh way to crtiticize maybe ruined the career of a very unique and talented singer. Be aware of that !
Can´t you read his sad mssages, guess why he is sad ?!
Why should he ask the forum to evaluate if would not be happy about his beautiful work, maybe he did not think it is perfect, but now his self-confidence was attacked !
When we criticize each others' work we should be respectful. We have to always remember that there is a human being with feelings behind the music. But we should also be honest. I learn much more when listeners criticize something in my music than when they praise it. I personally don't like it when people hold back. If you share your music on this forum, you have to be ready for criticism.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #75
Giano
Banned

I love Flamenco above all - especially Paco de Lucia.
Okay, to call it "out of tune" sonds like wrong, but they do not sing
in a wrong way, so it´s better to say it´s a cultural convention.
Imagine, Paco once said in an interview that he was never satisfied
with his recordings and/or performance ???! (except for 4 or 5 tracks!)
Maybe people were too fulsome with their praise of him.
People should have criticized him much more :-)

And I agree with you as far as comments are concerned, but especially
in the internet it is hard to find out if a person (you do not know !) is hurt or not when he is criticized ?!
I thought you are from Split / Croatia ?! You are not Dario ?

Last edited by Giano; 09-01-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #76
Fex

Quote:

The first track I found in Portuguese in Youtube and if I had to comment on this track, I´d say that it sounds out of tune in a pleasant way - never heard someone sing that way in English, just because of the fact that English is a completely different language with a different timbre.
It doesn't sound out of tune to me. There's a lot of vibrato, so you could argue thst it's going in and out of tune continually, but it does sound in tune.
I've heard plenty of singing like that in English, and I think language is irrelevant to this question.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #77
Giano
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't sound out of tune to me. There's a lot of vibrato, so you could argue thst it's going in and out of tune continually, but it does sound in tune.
I've heard plenty of singing like that in English, and I think language is irrelevant to this question.
I agree with better not calling it "out of tune" as I aready said,
but you heard PLENTY of singing LIKE THAT in English !?

THat I would like to hear, please give a Youtube link as an example.

Of course a language is essential for the way vocals do sound.
Chinese, Indian, Italian, German, Polish, Arabian, Swahili and Hungarian -
completey different timbre, completely different culture, completely different native music styles, completely different Lifestyle and education, completely different mentalities and languages ! Of course there are for example many different singers from Italy, but with an equal basis - it´s the specific language and mentality ! A Japanese can also sing some Blues, but you will notice that the song is sung by a Japenese nine and a half times out of ten. Or imagine Paul MCCartney trying to sing Flamenco in English - ridiculous !

Last edited by Giano; 09-01-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #78
polysoniq

Hey Saresu , send me the vocal track and I will fix the intonation and dynamics for you ,been doing it for years for record label clients.
Hey ,it's like doing push ups to keep in shape. (:
polysoniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #79
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysoniq View Post
Hey Saresu , send me the vocal track and I will fix the intonation and dynamics for you ,been doing it for years for record label clients.
Hey ,it's like doing push ups to keep in shape. (:
I've just sent the dropbox link to ur gmail Polysoniq.

Thank you very much!!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #80
polysoniq

No Problem,looking at it now
polysoniq is offline   Reply With Quote