Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 AM   #41
pyerbass
Human being with feelings

Hi Guys,
thanks for your kind words and you suggestions,
and that's surprising to see you interested in the flat version, as the audio GUI world is still stucked on photo realistic views... I'll think about it

The 3 colors themes are API gear, Neve gear and SSL gear

The DFT led is for Solo Defeat ,not sure about this one, does any one use it?

@sostenuto:
I just tried now and it works:
download par one at
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1024/an...4%20R2%20part1
download part two at
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1025/an...4%20R2%20part2

make shure the two files are in the same folder
open part one with winrar or other
drag and drop the reaper theme from winrar window to ewplorer window

This will give you the lastest version of API4

Last edited by pyerbass; 09-16-2015 at 12:19 AM.
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #42
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
Hi Guys,
and that's surprising to see you interested in the flat version, as the audio GUI world is still stucked on photo realistic views... I'll think about it
Personally, I like a little subtle 3D-ness. I mean, it is supposed to look like a console, not Cakewalk or Traction. I think the amount you have in the first post in this thread is about right.

Quote:
Not personally, but I don't object to it being there
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #43
sostenuto

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The 3 colors themes are API gear, Neve gear and SSL gear

@sostenuto:
I just tried now and it works:
download par one at
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1024/an...4%20R2%20part1
download part two at
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1025/an...4%20R2%20part2

make shure the two files are in the same folder
open part one with winrar or other
drag and drop the reaper theme from winrar window to ewplorer window

This will give you the lastest version of API4

Thanks for instructions. I use UNCOMPRESS App ... which has worked fine for many rar files. It asks to select ALL multipart files and I do this, point to new Folder made for this, and always 'fails to uncompress part 2'. Maybe I'm still not following the sequence you are describing? Sorry! [[ EDIT ]] FIXED ! Just needed to be precise following your instructions. Thank-you ....nice to have this Theme!

Last edited by sostenuto; 09-16-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: FIXED !!!!
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #44
pinksoir

Ha, I was working on something similar to this myself until I gave up trying to learn to Walter. Had a lot of the graphic work done.

I love the flat style. Really refreshing and contemporary looking. I'd use it in a heartbeat too. I think photo realistic stuff is kinda lame, though I use Imperial and think it looks great. In a DAW I prefer function over form, that said, a nice design can be considered part of its function - clear, clutter free, well laid out, and not distracting.

With that in mind I'd like to suggest this. The icons you're using on your buttons are super confusing. I know they're part of the original design of the consoles, but their function is not instantly apparent as, say, a speaker for rec monitoring etc. might be. This type of thing is really important and having them as they are now introduces a level of confusion into proceedings which is completely unnecessary. Design should always be towards the end users ease of use, I think.

But great work besides that. A really fresh and great looking theme which I can see myself definitely migrating to. Nice thing about Reaper is if you leave the buttons as they are now I can just edit them myself afterwards. But, think about what i said.

EDIT: Damn, I just saw that the flat look is just a mock up. That's a real, real shame. It just works so well.

Last edited by pinksoir; 09-16-2015 at 11:16 AM.
pinksoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #45
sostenuto

@pinksoir ... Had same reactions in last hour (first trial) but Theme seems so 'professional' compared to many. An impression for sure, nothing more

Latest 'MUST' criterion (after trialing many Themes) is dark background.
WT Imperial works well, but will be working with Analog API V4 daily to become accustomed to small/different icons, etc.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #46
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksoir View Post
I love the flat style. Really refreshing and contemporary looking. I'd use it in a heartbeat too. I think photo realistic stuff is kinda lame, though I use Imperial and think it looks great. In a DAW I prefer function over form, that said, a nice design can be considered part of its function - clear, clutter free, well laid out, and not distracting.
The V4 API is hardly photorealistic, there's just a bit of depth and shadow. It is supposed to look like a console, not a GUI. That said, it's the layout that I like more than anything, so I wouldn't object to it being without gradients, grunge or shadows.

Quote:
With that in mind I'd like to suggest this. The icons you're using on your buttons are super confusing. I know they're part of the original design of the consoles, but their function is not instantly apparent as, say, a speaker for rec monitoring etc. might be. This type of thing is really important and having them as they are now introduces a level of confusion into proceedings which is completely unnecessary. Design should always be towards the end users ease of use, I think.
I completely disagree. The signal flow diagrams make perfect sense to me. They're the opposite of confusing!

@ pyerbass: Will there be LED style meters in your finished version? I prefer that style
Old 09-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #47
pyerbass

HI Guys,
Thanks for your very constructive comments,

The icon debate... that can be confusing and I will try to enhance it at the best. I don't want too much text in the chanel strip, most of the icons are taken from electric diagrams, which any one a bit techy can read (hey, it's reaper, not logic pro, lets afford us to be tecky ) So seriously, I wanted to use the symbols from electric diagram because they are universal, I had a look on other symbols based daws like cubase, I use the same icon for insert fx, ... I fully agree some are confusing, like the routings symbols, I gave them up for text in this new version. and also the input fx symbol is confusing... if you have any ideas, I'm interested.
Anyways, I guess you can get quickly use to it, a theme like this one or like imperial requires a learning curve, as I also changes names (folder caller buss, send aux reciev called aux, ...) and layout

The flat design debate... On the very first version of API, I had this tag line : "reaper works like a 65000$ console, now it looks like it" My intension is to have the feel of working with an alaogue console: the workflow, the layout , the pictogram, the visual ID of API brand, and, the feel of hardware with light, shading, animations, ...

So the 3d style is part of the intention...

This being said, I like flat design and I use it out of the audio world, I worth a try...

Thanks again, any comment here help me to make the theme better

cheers guys
Old 09-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #48
pinksoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The V4 API is hardly photorealistic, there's just a bit of depth and shadow. It is supposed to look like a console, not a GUI. That said, it's the layout that I like more than anything, so I wouldn't object to it being without gradients, grunge or shadows.
That's fair enough it's not photorealistc, but I think the flat look is unique and using the colours/layout of classic consoles but in a flat design is a breath of fresh air. There's a ton of 3d style console skins already and all of them end up looking plasticky and with too much going on with shadows, gradients, unnecessary non-interactable elements, etc. I think it's a novel idea to embrace the fact that Reaper's ui IS a gui (not a console) and to design a gui accordingly. Hell, if I'd the time right now I'd do a flat one based on what pyerbass has put forward already. It shouldn't take too much time to make the elements. I just can't Walter. I was in the middle of a Neve theme previously but I gave up as staring at lines of code is not something I'm interested in.

Quote:
I completely disagree. The signal flow diagrams make perfect sense to me. They're the opposite of confusing!
Also fair enough, but they are confusing to me (the lower two in particular) so it is merely a case of me volunteering information based on my own experience, nothing more. And also based on my belief of what a gui should do and be. So, take from that what you will.
pinksoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #49
sostenuto

I LIKE the Console approach! I LIKE the Console approach! WT Imperial is fine, but I LIKE the Console approach!

If ANALOG API 5 does not look like a Console, back to Imperial. BTW, using twin 24" 1920x1200 monitors with GT760 drive.

I LIKE the Console approach!
Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #50
pyerbass

I read some comment about most custom GUI of reaper beiing too "star wars" even the best one ... I can't disagree. Exepted for the one from Janne. My intension for v5 is to go, if not flat, much more clean!
Think Native instrument monark, tube series, vintage comp... they are just gorgious GUI to me! I also like Serum GUI: analog, but clean

and to answer a previous comment, yes, the viewmeter will be pixels lines, not big bars
Old 09-17-2015, 02:28 AM   #51
Judders

Quote:
That's fair enough it's not photorealistc, but I think the flat look is unique and using the colours/layout of classic consoles but in a flat design is a breath of fresh air. There's a ton of 3d style console skins already and all of them end up looking plasticky and with too much going on with shadows, gradients, unnecessary non-interactable elements, etc. I think it's a novel idea to embrace the fact that Reaper's ui IS a gui (not a console) and to design a gui accordingly. Hell, if I'd the time right now I'd do a flat one based on what pyerbass has put forward already. It shouldn't take too much time to make the elements. I just can't Walter. I was in the middle of a Neve theme previously but I gave up as staring at lines of code is not something I'm interested in.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind it being flat, but personally I like somewhere in-between. Maybe I'm showing my age, but a little bit of shadow makes it seem more "tactile" to me. Not too much grunge, reflections or woodgrain though!

Quote:
Also fair enough, but they are confusing to me (the lower two in particular) so it is merely a case of me volunteering information based on my own experience, nothing more. And also based on my belief of what a gui should do and be. So, take from that what you will.
Hey man, I wasn't criticising your suggestion, just giving my own opinion

API V4 is the only theme I've ever used. I changed the default to API as soon as I'd finished Kenny's "Introducing REAPER" videos and have never looked back (which was just a couple of hours), so my passions may run high about V5 suggestions. Don't take it personally!

One thing I really like about V4 is the text on the buttons at the top of the screen, but mainly symbols on the track headers.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #52
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
I LIKE the Console approach! I LIKE the Console approach! WT Imperial is fine, but I LIKE the Console approach!

If ANALOG API 5 does not look like a Console, back to Imperial. BTW, using twin 24" 1920x1200 monitors with GT760 drive.

I LIKE the Console approach!
I get the feeling you like the console approach
Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 AM   #53
Judders

Quote:
I read some comment about most custom GUI of reaper beiing too "star wars" even the best one ... I can't disagree. Exepted for the one from Janne. My intension for v5 is to go, if not flat, much more clean!
Think Native instrument monark, tube series, vintage comp... they are just gorgious GUI to me! I also like Serum GUI: analog, but clean

and to answer a previous comment, yes, the viewmeter will be pixels lines, not big bars
Sounds great!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:47 AM   #54
cjg

FWIW i dig the 3D themes...this one as going to look RAD!
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #55
sostenuto

Quote:

You are a solid resource and I gain from your very 'candid' comments! I did not get 'star wars' effect when trying Imperial (using dark Layout settings) but you are seeing thru very different eyes ...
Please consider adding your thoughts about WT Imperial .. in context with your Analog API Theme v4 and Janne. I always use twin, hi-rez monitors but lack professional perspective when critiquing Themes. My own preferences are key, of course, but I can gain from what more experienced Users need and enjoy. I recall some found TPC In Imperial lacking?

Analog API v4 (Win 10 Pro, Reaper v5.01 64-bit) is very new to me yet gaining status rapidly!

Last edited by sostenuto; 09-17-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #56
mehmethan

Hi Thanks for this great Theme.

Bug:
Main toolbar doesn't fit to the TCP length like the other themes.
I mean my icons on the toolbar is always 1 row. Normally If TCP length is small then main toolbar has 2-3 rows.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #57
esosotericmetal

There is definitely a strong trend towards flatter and less 3d GUI's in computing in general. Less so in the audio world but it's starting to move that way there as well. Even the R5 default theme was taken in that direction (although it wasn't executed as well as it could have been). And it need not be just for 'digital' inspired stuff. Madrona Labs' Aalto is a great example of a flat contemporary theme that is still very much inspired by hardware sonically. It also happens to be beautiful, functional, and ergonomic.

I also agree that Janne is making some of the best themes out there. They have a good balance of flatness and depth.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #58
Commala

In post 33, I prefer the first layout. I think the flat looks good as well, but if you added a quality of 'depth' to increase clarity, instead of just '3D-ness' for it's own sake, you could make it pop in a way that a simply flat interface will not.

Don't make the same mistake Presonus did with Studio One 3, above all.

Looks great so far!

Quote:
My intension for v5 is to go, if not flat, much more clean!
That's the ticket, I agree.

Last edited by Commala; 09-17-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #59
sostenuto

A repeat comment, but darker background on Track Panel is becoming mandatory for me. No Theme 'Layout' seems to deal with this and staring at such a large area of glare is not good.

Why do I not see change when in Layout and changing settings in Master Track Panel (any Theme)? My dumb, but what am I looking for?

I trust Themers to make value improvements, but Post 33 does not do much for me at all.
Some 3D might help, but not even close to strengths of current Analog API v4 ...
Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #60
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
A repeat comment, but darker background on Track Panel is becoming mandatory for me. No Theme 'Layout' seems to deal with this and staring at such a large area of glare is not good.

Why do I not see change when in Layout and changing settings in Master Track Panel (any Theme)? My dumb, but what am I looking for?

I trust Themers to make value improvements, but Post 33 does not do much for me at all.
Some 3D might help, but not even close to strengths of current Analog API v4 ...
I think it's a huge improvement!

He's got rid of the redundant send/receive buttons and it looks much cleaner and more logical. You know it's not the finished product, but a rough mock-up?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #61
sostenuto

Agreed, and got to have confidence when V4 is so good!

My question in the middle is 'buried' and should post by itself, but never really SEE any change on any Theme tried in 'Layouts' _ Master Track Panel.
Where should I be looking, focusing?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #62
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Honestly, I would MUCH rather prefer the flat 'sketch' you did than a realistic 3d theme. I would pay money if that were done right actually.
+1 The trend of 3d stuff is changing.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #63
Judders

Any progress?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #64
eaccin

What a great Theme!! Really liking the layout, buttons, separators, meters on top, everything. At first I thought it was a little dark but changing the brightness in my screen solved it.
eaccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #65
tkaitkai

Also chiming in to say that I love the flat design — as a videographer/designer myself, I think it looks sleek and professional, and I would absolutely LOVE to work with something like that.

However, you're free to change it as you see fit, and I appreciate any work you do!
tkaitkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #66
pyerbass

HI Guys, itis still on, there is some progress, working on the sub master and return layout, but it's reaaaaly slow, many thanks for your supporting words

About the flat/not flat design, I am still experimenting, I'd like to find something in between.

About flat design I really like the Fusion_RJ V1.1 by RDJY, check it out!

I feed you some news soon
Cheers
Old 11-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #67
Judders

Cool, thanks for the update
Old 01-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #68
Paulmer

subscribed - one of the best GUI..
Paulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #69
pyerbass

Hi Guys, Here's an update, still far from over

I'm starting to be happy with the different layers
- master
- track
- group (or bus, sub master)
- VCA
- return
- midi only

With Reaper you can do whatever you want with a track, it means that, in many cases you don't use all the functions avalaible on a track.
The idea here is to take out every un-needed functions for more ease of use.

Any idea is welcome

PS: the visual style is still a mock up, I have no idea on what it will end up to look like cause it's not the point now. Ease of use fisrt, and then we'll see about style

Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #70
daniel88v8

a giant slim vu meter master track layout.
daniel88v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #71
WKG

Would it be possible to keep the split screen - channel strip as an option? It comes in handy when I need to dock the mixer on the bottom so the FX and VU meters are usable.

BTW, I just tidied up my theme options and deleted probably 35 from the folder. This is one of just a few that I kept to use.

Nice work, thanks for putting the time and effort into it.

Last edited by WKG; 03-02-2016 at 10:28 AM.
WKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #72
pyerbass

Thanks WKG

I'll probably drop the split screen view, it's too much work, at least for the first version, it might be back later.
But I'll keep the channels shrinkable to the minimum so you can still use it on a split screen view, with less functions avalable.

Anyway I would recomend to use this theme with the mixer docked to the right side, it's how I use it
Old 03-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #73
+NRG

I like the visual style already!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #74
WKG

Quote:
Thanks WKG

I'll probably drop the split screen view, it's too much work, at least for the first version, it might be back later.
But I'll keep the channels shrinkable to the minimum so you can still use it on a split screen view, with less functions avalable.

Anyway I would recomend to use this theme with the mixer docked to the right side, it's how I use it
Ok, that'll work too.

I usually use left side docking but lately have been using bottom occasionally for convenience.
WKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #75
albertxxxx

Hi Py...I was just playing a little .. good work

Last edited by albertxxxx; 03-02-2016 at 12:01 PM.
albertxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #76
Judders

It's looking great! Can't wait till it's finished.

Personally, I never dock the mixer, I just make it appear and disappear by pressing "M".
Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #77
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertxxxx View Post
Hi Py...I was just playing a little .. good work

Hey, Albert, am I being blind, or did you change more than the gradient behind the meters and on the faders?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #78
albertxxxx

yes, only 3 small changes
Old 03-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #79
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertxxxx View Post
yes, only 3 small changes
Ah, okay. Just checking