Old 11-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.17rc1 - November 25 2020

v6.17rc1 - November 25 2020
+ Media explorer: finer control for pitch and rate knobs
+ Media explorer: fix customizing Show and Options menus
+ Media explorer: fix possible macOS crash when removing database
+ Media explorer: if fine pitch adjustment set, further semitone or quartertone adjustments will preserve the fractional adjustment [p=2368875]
+ Media explorer: when replacing source media and stretching to fit, stretch active take only [p=2369092]
+ Media: fix adjusting media based on embedded tempo when not importing from media explorer [t=245407]
+ Windows: disable DX scanning by default on new installations
+ macOS: add arm64 lame encoder
# Media explorer: fix UI feedback for action to show/hide path dropdown

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
ovnis

Lake of ":" with pitch.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
EpicSounds

Quote:
+ Windows: disable DX scanning by default on new installations
nice.

another new bug for media explorer that might be a quick fix

Rename folder in the shortcuts tree view works, but Rename file in the file view does not.

screencap without sound - https://youtu.be/YoZP7oavY-o
Old 11-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
USR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ Media explorer: fix possible macOS crash when removing database
It still crashes here when I remove either a shortcut or a database.
USR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #5
mabian

Why disabling DX scan by default in new installations?

Asking for a friend ...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #6
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v6.17rc1 - November 25 2020
+ Media explorer: finer control for pitch and rate knobs
+ Media explorer: if fine pitch adjustment set, further semitone or quartertone adjustments will preserve the fractional adjustment
thank you! the fractional adjustment preservation is going to save me a lot of time.
a few notes:

1) while holding SHIFT, fine pitch control is now 10c per "tick" or pixel moved. 10c per pixel is still pretty coarse -- much better than before, but but still coarse. is there any way we could also get a 1c increment, maybe with a CTRL modifier? if we are bound to using SHIFT as the only modifier, i strongly recommend using 1c increments instead of 10c.

2) regarding mousewheel control of pitch knob: while holding shift and mousewheeling over the pitch knob, each increment/decrement of the mouse wheel corresponds to a 10c increase/decrease. this is expected behavior. however, when you use the mousewheel unmodified, it takes several increments/decrements to = 1 semitone. expected behavior would be a 1:1 wheel increment/step relationship, ala the SHIFT-modifier.

3) double clicking the pitch knob used to reset to 0.00. now, it resets to 0.n, where n is the fractional adjustment being preserved due to item 4 of the changelog. expected behavior: double click overrides the preservation and returns to 0.00

4) if you detune -/+ more than 10 semitones, the parameter window clips off part of the numerical display:
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
bodfum

Scan all databases actions do not work. I still need to scan them individually to remove or add files.

When editing names in either a database or the mx once editing is completed I lose my selection and file list goes to the top thus losing my place in the file list.

Windows 10 Build 6.17rc1
bodfum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
thank you! the fractional adjustment preservation is going to save me a lot of time.
a few notes:

1) while holding SHIFT, fine pitch control is now 10c per "tick" or pixel moved. 10c per pixel is still pretty coarse -- much better than before, but but still coarse. is there any way we could also get a 1c increment, maybe with a CTRL modifier? if we are bound to using SHIFT as the only modifier, i strongly recommend using 1c increments instead of 10c.

2) regarding mousewheel control of pitch knob: while holding shift and mousewheeling over the pitch knob, each increment/decrement of the mouse wheel corresponds to a 10c increase/decrease. this is expected behavior. however, when you use the mousewheel unmodified, it takes several increments/decrements to = 1 semitone. expected behavior would be a 1:1 wheel increment/step relationship, ala the SHIFT-modifier.

3) double clicking the pitch knob used to reset to 0.00. now, it resets to 0.n, where n is the fractional adjustment being preserved due to item 4 of the changelog. expected behavior: double click overrides the preservation and returns to 0.00

4) if you detune -/+ more than 10 semitones, the parameter window clips off part of the numerical display:
+1!!! Please also extend this to RS5K pitch offset knob (and track controls based on this knob.) Right now, it's so hard to use it's easier to type in the values:

A regular mousewheel scroll gives me a change of 2.56 semitones, and a control-mousewheel scroll gives me .16 semitones. I vote for 1 and .01 changes, respectively.

Last edited by Arthur McArthur; 11-26-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post

Asking for a friend ...

- Mario
DX plugins are, like, very dead.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post

Asking for a friend ...

- Mario
If you have Avid Protools installed, you might have some DX plugin from Avid there too. When that thing gets scanned by Reaper, the installer of something might be called that never completes. Another Avid bonus. This scan only happens when you first call up the FX browser, not on first startup, so it‘s quite the surprise. After terminating Reaper and starting it again, you can disable DX scanning.

Disabling it up front is more efficient. It‘s easy to find if people need it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #11
Endisol

"Start on beat" text gets cut off when using narrow MX layout
https://recordit.co/21xz1lSNkG
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #12
musicbynumbers

Default Video cache bug..

Hi Devs,

This may or not be a bug so was hoping for a quick answer on this as if it's not a bug then I'll go an make a Feature Request for it or if it's a bug, a bug report

I'm hoping there's a solution though as it's making my day to day SFX work a lot slower.

You guys graciously put in a monitoring video fx a while back called "screensaver" that has to go on the monitoring fx and turns the screen black after a set time (for stopping OLED burn in). It's amazing!

This works great if the video cache is set to option 1 ("Monitoring FX are not cached") but with this option enabled the video seeking has a few seconds delay on it so it breaks being able to rapidly playback the same area over and over again or looping the video as by the time it catches up on screen it's pass the bit I need to see.

If I set it to option 2 though ("All media and video FX are not cached") then video seeking and looping is near perfect but the monitoring fx are no longer "live" and able to count time (or not active at all perhaps) as the video fx no longer turns the screen black.

I've not found a solution for this yet but could a 5th option to not cache media or video fx BUT cache monitoring fx be a solution? or something like that.

I also have reaper set to not process fx when stopped. maybe that's part of it too.