Old 11-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
VinGua
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper X32 frustration

Hi crew, I came from a Cakewalk 9 thru Sonar X2 background, had to learn the majority of how to make it work by myself. A lot of trial and error!!! More on that in a second. Then 3 years ago I joined a band that was using Reaper with a Behringer X32, so I dove right into Reaper, watched Kenny's videos, and now I'm the most knowledgeable one in the band at the inner-workings of this amazing DAW! It's very intuitive and I've grown to love it! The problem I'm running into is this... I created an 8th note hi hat click wav file and placed it on channel 10 in Reaper and I'm trying to route it back thru the X32 so the drummer can sync to it and we can put everything on the grid. For some reason, the metronome isn't coming thru the mains either. I need to be able to play tracks back thru the X32 so that we can overdub/punch in, etc... Anyone have any insight on how to set this up? I'm able to achieve this with Reaper at my home studio with my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface with no problems, but with the X32 it's a mystery...

I recently saw a couple Youtube videos on the new Cakewalk by Bandlab software(previouly Sonar Platinum) and how it integrates with the Behringer X32. It seems like there's a way to do what I'm trying to do with this setup. I'm pretty sure there should be a way that I can achieve the same thing with the Reaper X32 setup, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out. If anyone knows an easy way to config the Reaper X32 setup, a little help would go a long way and be greatly appreciated. Thanks
VinGua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
Philbo King

It's a midi note. You need to send it to a midi->audio converter before sending the audio to your X32. ReaSamplomatic 5000 will work to do this. All you need is a one-shot WAV sample of a high hat, and load that into RS 5000.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
It's a midi note.
? I don't think it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinGua View Post
I created an 8th note hi hat click wav file
but could be, as there is mention of channel 10?

It sounds like a routing issue with the x32 (i'm not familiar with it)
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
serr

The thing to understand about the X-32 is it isn't routed internally like a normal audio interface. That is, the jacks on the back of it aren't "hard wired" to it's host I/O like you expect from every audio interface you've always seen.

Because this audio interface was designed to actually use the built-in mixer first as the common use mode, the host inputs are routable. You choose where they land on the X-32. Take a look in the X-32 manual. There are some quick setup defaults you can choose from too to get started quickly. One of them connects the 1st 16 channels to the interface host inputs and the next 16 channels (17-32) receive from the host outputs.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote