Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Pedal off when midi split

It would be nice to have an option that when you split a midi item that any pedal ons get a pedal off at the end of the split. I get LOTS of sustained midi notes from splitting midi and I have to go back and draw the pedal offs on them all. Any work arounds ?

Is there a way to write a script that makes sure all midi items with 64 Pedal Hold data have an off with each on ?

Before split

After Split
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
TonE

It seems sustain off should be copied over to end of previous item, then deleting next item, same for note off's.

Shifting of off events to end of previous item.

Not sure if there is already any such or similar script?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
Coachz

I agree. I wonder if anyone knows how to write a script to do it. Then I could put it in a custom action for splits.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
BenjyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I agree. I wonder if anyone knows how to write a script to do it. Then I could put it in a custom action for splits.
Here's a script that works for me. It's very crude and it's definitely not fault-proof but it does the trick. It splits the selected item at edit cursor and inserts a CC64 Off message a few pixels before the split point in the left item. It requires SWS and mpl's scripts.

I don't know (yet) if Reaper assigns different ID identifier's for custom actions and user scripts to different users. If that's the case, substitute the parameter in the reaper.NamedCommandLookup() function for the ID which shows up in your action list (MIDI Editor actions) for "mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take".

Code:
-- credits to mpl for his "mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take"

function main()
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40759, 0) -- Item: Split items at edit cursor (select right)
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40006, 0) -- Item: Remove items

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40104, 0) -- View: Move cursor left one pixel

selitem = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_XENAKIOS_SELITEMSUNDEDCURSELTX")
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(selitem, 0)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40153, 0) -- Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)

actmidieditor = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive()
	idofpedaloff = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS7d3c_d030d666f7decf53fd1dee3680ec2d970b916137") -- MIDI Editor: mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take.lua
	reaper.MIDIEditor_OnCommand(actmidieditor, idofpedaloff)
	reaper.MIDIEditor_OnCommand(actmidieditor, 2) -- File: Close window

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40319, 0) -- Item navigation: Move cursor right to edge of item
	reaper.UpdateArrange()
end

script_title = "Script: BenjyO_Split MIDI item at edit cursor and add CC64 Off-message a few pixels before.lua"
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
main()
reaper.Undo_EndBlock(script_title, 0)
Hope this helps somehow.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjyO View Post
Here's a script that works for me. It's very crude and it's definitely not fault-proof but it does the trick. It splits the selected item at edit cursor and inserts a CC64 Off message a few pixels before the split point in the left item. It requires SWS and mpl's scripts.

I don't know (yet) if Reaper assigns different ID identifier's for custom actions and user scripts to different users. If that's the case, substitute the parameter in the reaper.NamedCommandLookup() function for the ID which shows up in your action list (MIDI Editor actions) for "mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take".

Code:
-- credits to mpl for his "mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take"

function main()
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40759, 0) -- Item: Split items at edit cursor (select right)
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(40006, 0) -- Item: Remove items

selitem = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_XENAKIOS_SELITEMSUNDEDCURSELTX")

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40153, 0) -- Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set default behavior in preferences)

idofpedaloff = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS7d3c_d030d666f7decf53fd1dee3680ec2d970b916137") -- MIDI Editor: mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take.lua

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40319, 0) -- Item navigation: Move cursor right to edge of item
	reaper.UpdateArrange()
end

script_title = "Script: BenjyO_Split MIDI item at edit cursor and add CC64 Off-message a few pixels before.lua"
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
main()
Hope this helps somehow.
Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it. How is it someone as smart as you only has 30 posts?
Old 11-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
BenjyO

Quote:
Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it. How is it someone as smart as you only has 30 posts?
Say that I'm smart only after you've tried it and it works

I appreciate the compliment though
Old 11-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #7
Coachz

I only have these mpl scripts. Is it one of those ?

Old 11-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
BenjyO

Quote:
I only have these mpl scripts. Is it one of those ?

Hey Coachz, I cannot see or open the link of the screenshot you've attached to your post.

I forgot to mention that "mpl_Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take" is in the "MIDI Editor" section of the actions list not in the "Main" section.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
BenjyO

Weird ... Now I see the screenshot. I really didn't see it before when I posted my last post. Anyway, it's the one in the middle: Add CC64 off to channel 0 of active MIDI Editor take
Old 11-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Coachz

Default BenjyO saves the day

Thanks so much for the code. I got it to do exactly what I needed and this is going to help my workflow tremendously. We do a lot of keyboard midi recording and then do lots of splitting / punching in / editing and every damn time I would have to go back and add a pedal off because the previous notes would just keep sustaining.

Another side effect was tiny orphan notes where the split happened and I found the action to throw those "trailing" notes out. Here is what I got. Thanks so much !! Huge win for me. I hope it helps others and wish it was already built into Reaper as this seems a desirable midi behavior at least for me.

Would you be able to show me how to extend these two to work for multiple selected items (at same mouse/edit cursor position) on separate tracks possibly ? Basically for all midi items under the edit cursor.

This show splitting with no snap first and then with snap. Both cases show how the pedal off is now present.

Code:
-- Script: jb_split pedal off (no snapping).lua
-- split midi item and add pedal offs at split with no snapping

function main()

saveCursorPos = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_SAVE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1")  -- save edit cursor position
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(saveCursorPos, 0)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40514, 0) -- move edit cursor to mouse position

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40746, 0) -- Item: Split item under mouse cursor

selitem = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_XENAKIOS_SELITEMSUNDEDCURSELTX")  -- select items under mouse

reaper.Main_OnCommand(41729, 0) -- delete trailing notes

restoreCursorPos = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_BR_RESTORE_CURSOR_POS_SLOT_1")  -- recall edit cursor position
	reaper.Main_OnCommand(restoreCursorPos, 0)

reaper.UpdateArrange()
end

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
main()
Code:
-- Script: jb_split pedal off (snapping).lua
-- split midi item and add pedal offs at split with snapping

function main()

reaper.Main_OnCommand(40757, 0) -- Item: Split items at edit cursor (no change selection)

selitem = reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_XENAKIOS_SELITEMSUNDEDCURSELTX")  -- select items under mouse

reaper.Main_OnCommand(41729, 0) -- delete trailing notes

reaper.UpdateArrange()
end

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()
main()

Last edited by Coachz; 11-29-2020 at 09:29 AM.