Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 10-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #321
buschag
Human being with feelings

its saved in scripts/LBX folder but when I try to select it to load, it isn't highlighted, meaning it won't let me select that file. SWS is installed by the way.

fixed that issue... mac was changing the file extension. now I load it, click run and i get this..

LBX_SRD_SmartKnobs.lua:1: syntax error near '<\209>'

Last edited by buschag; 10-20-2020 at 12:41 PM.
buschag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #322
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I might have missed this function but is there a way to wiggle the knob in the plugin gui that you want to learn and assign it that way, rather than using the drop down list?
Just in case anyone else hasn't figured this out....there's a wee little button marked "learn" which does this :-) Can't believe I missed it!
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #323
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschag View Post
its saved in scripts/LBX folder but when I try to select it to load, it isn't highlighted, meaning it won't let me select that file. SWS is installed by the way.

fixed that issue... mac was changing the file extension. now I load it, click run and i get this..

That looks very much like an encoding issue on the lua file - which sometimes happens when downloading from github. Did you download the RAW file which I gave the link for in my last post? This normally fixes this issue.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #324
buschag

yes. deleted the last one and saved it from the link you sent. after loading the script and I click run i still get :

I wish I knew what any of this stuff meant so I could try to figure it out...
Old 10-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #325
lb0

Quote:
yes. deleted the last one and saved it from the link you sent. after loading the script and I click run i still get :

I wish I knew what any of this stuff meant so I could try to figure it out...
Hmmm. I still think there's something wrong with the encoding of the file. Would you PM me your email address and I can send you the file?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #326
buschag

Default Solved!

A big thank you to lb0 for all the help getting all of this stuff working. My end goal is to basically control a couple plugins with my x-touch mini. works perfect with SSL channel strip. when I switch to RVOX I get some weird dialogue box that appears with a bunch of code-speak but Ill tackle that next. Anybody know how to bypass default mapping in the controller? example, while trying to map buttons on the controller, they also control the default mute,solo,rec arm, transport functions, etc. I want to be able to press the encoder to access another eq function but it automatically red-arms the selected track.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #327
lb0

Quote:
A big thank you to lb0 for all the help getting all of this stuff working. My end goal is to basically control a couple plugins with my x-touch mini. works perfect with SSL channel strip. when I switch to RVOX I get some weird dialogue box that appears with a bunch of code-speak but Ill tackle that next. Anybody know how to bypass default mapping in the controller? example, while trying to map buttons on the controller, they also control the default mute,solo,rec arm, transport functions, etc. I want to be able to press the encoder to access another eq function but it automatically red-arms the selected track.
Have you got the XTouch mini set up as a Reaper control surface (in Preferences->Control/Osc/web) - if the Xtouch is mapped via a control surface then I guess you could try removing that from the control surface list.

I'm interested in the weird dialog you're seeing with the RVOX - could that be an error message? You can email me a screenshot - will give me an idea of what you're seeing.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #328
buschag

Emailed you. It’s regarding realearn. I’m going to hold off on the rvox for now. More interested in getting the channel strip all mapped. I unselected it as a controller and I think it’s working better. Now I just want to play around and try to figure out how to toggle between parameters. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #329
buschag

Default scrolling in smart knobs

the window only shows the first 22 parameters. however when I scroll down to assign more, they all turn red. Including the ones I already assigned. Im using a trackpad on macbook. is there another way to scroll down in smart knobs?
Old 10-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #330
lb0

Quote:
the window only shows the first 22 parameters. however when I scroll down to assign more, they all turn red. Including the ones I already assigned. Im using a trackpad on macbook. is there another way to scroll down in smart knobs?
Ah - that's interesting - to scroll the list it's currently mousewheel - which I guess has suited everyone so far. But I don't know if you can simulate the mousewheel using the trackpad - so I guess I will need to add another method if you cannot.

EDIT: Any preference? Maybe up/down arrow keys?

EDIT2: Oh - I just reread - how are you scrolling down? And what exactly is turning red?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #331
buschag

I’m using two fingers on the mouse track pad on the MacBook. That’s the quick way to scroll up or down on the MacBook. I wouldn’t worry about making a special edit to the program just for that. Maybe I can adjust settings in computer preferences. The lines in smart knobs turn red and go blank as if nothing is assigned to those sliders. If I scroll back up to the top they turn back grey and show what parameters are assigned. Very strange. Also have you run into issues where smart knobs doesn’t map automatically from faderbox? When programming faderbox to my controller everything shows up where it’s supposed to but when I start controlling plug-ins with smart knobs open all the controls start controlling random smart knobs parameters. Maybe it’s time for a new computer
Old 10-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #332
lb0

Quote:
The lines in smart knobs turn red and go blank as if nothing is assigned to those sliders. If I scroll back up to the top they turn back grey and show what parameters are assigned. Very strange.
Odd - I've not seen that behaviour. Have you tried it with a mouse with wheel attached? Obviously - what's supposed to happen is that the list scrolls down and shows any additional faders with assignments. I wonder if it's scrolling too far - so it goes right to the end of the list. I cannot remember if it scrolls a page per mousewheel click or 1 fader per mousewheel click.

Quote:
Also have you run into issues where smart knobs doesn’t map automatically from faderbox? When programming faderbox to my controller everything shows up where it’s supposed to but when I start controlling plug-ins with smart knobs open all the controls start controlling random smart knobs parameters. Maybe it’s time for a new computer
I've definitely not seen anything like this. How is the feedback set up for your controller? I think you mentioned ReaLearn - is that set up correctly?
Old 10-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #333
buschag

Went back and reread some old pages and another user had a scrolling issue but I still have to look into my trackpad settings or I’ll get a mouse to try. As far as the other thing I assume realean is set up properly. Tested all mappings and the faderbox responds perfectly. However when I close that and have SK and focused plug-in up, all SK parameters change. I’ve been slowly getting this rig up and running. Thought I had it this morning too. Oh well.... in time.

So if the SK window is in focus, the mappings all match. But if the fx window is selected, the SK mappings go weird. SK parameters start pairing up and changing functions.

Last edited by buschag; 10-26-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #334
lb0

Quote:
Went back and reread some old pages and another user had a scrolling issue but I still have to look into my trackpad settings or I’ll get a mouse to try. As far as the other thing I assume realean is set up properly. Tested all mappings and the faderbox responds perfectly. However when I close that and have SK and focused plug-in up, all SK parameters change. I’ve been slowly getting this rig up and running. Thought I had it this morning too. Oh well.... in time.

So if the SK window is in focus, the mappings all match. But if the fx window is selected, the SK mappings go weird. SK parameters start pairing up and changing functions.
Hmmm. That's odd. AFAIK the script is completely agnostic to whether it has focus or not. I'll have a think on that.

How exactly have you set up SK? Can you please email me screenshots of the Faderbox settings - and your mixer tracks (showing the LBXSK_CTL and any additional tracks used to send feedback data - including the loaded plugins on these tracks)?

Last edited by lb0; 10-26-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #335
cjewellstudios

It's been a while Hope you are well, lb0!

This script didn't pick up the ability to do global fx mapping while I was gone, did it?

Currently trying to find a solution that can map something like MetricAB with feedback and doesn't require focus.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #336
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
It's been a while Hope you are well, lb0!

This script didn't pick up the ability to do global fx mapping while I was gone, did it?

Currently trying to find a solution that can map something like MetricAB with feedback and doesn't require focus.
No further development of this script unfortunately.

SK2 is (obviously) running behind schedule - but I'm still working on that!

What exactly do you mean by global fx mapping?
Old 11-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #337
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
No further development of this script unfortunately.

SK2 is (obviously) running behind schedule - but I'm still working on that!

What exactly do you mean by global fx mapping?
Yeah I knew you were on to sk2

I just thought maybe I missed something.

Anyhow, what I mean by global fx mapping is a mapping that always works no matter where the focus is in Reaper. For the purpose of something like MetricAB (referencing plugin) I'd like to have a button always dedicated to that no matter what I'm doing. I'm fairly sure I saw you say in a video that Stripper can do this.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #338
cjunekim

Default Float FX GUI

First of all, thanks for this wonderful script!

BTW, I really wonder what Float FX GUI does in the settings menu. I experimented with turning it on and setting the float time to various values, but I couldn't figure it out. What does it do and how should I use it?
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #339
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
BTW, I really wonder what Float FX GUI does in the settings menu.
Pretty sure it automatically floats the GUI for a moment whenever tweaking mapped parameters.

Quote:
what I mean by global fx mapping is a mapping that always works no matter where the focus is in Reaper.
That's a native Reaper function. No need for scripts to do that.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #340
cjunekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Pretty sure it automatically floats the GUI for a moment whenever tweaking mapped parameters.
Yeah, I thought so initially but it doesn't. Nothing happens. Reaper 6.19 on windows 10.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #341
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
Yeah, I thought so initially but it doesn't. Nothing happens. Reaper 6.19 on windows 10.
It used to do what it says - that is float the FX GUI for the number of seconds specified when a parameter change is made via SK. I haven't tried it recently and don't know if there is now an issue with that functionality.

But I have a feeling something changed a while back - meaning the GUI had to be open in order for it to be controlled by SK - whereas before it worked that you focus the plugin by opening the GUI - then can close the GUI - but it SK kept it as the focused plugin... Might be something to do with that.

I'm still hard at work with SK2 - so don't currently have plans to fix everything in SK that isn't working (unless it's completely broken of course) - and at least until SK2 is released.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #342
lb0

Quote:
Yeah I knew you were on to sk2

I just thought maybe I missed something.

Anyhow, what I mean by global fx mapping is a mapping that always works no matter where the focus is in Reaper. For the purpose of something like MetricAB (referencing plugin) I'd like to have a button always dedicated to that no matter what I'm doing. I'm fairly sure I saw you say in a video that Stripper can do this.
Sorry for delay in replying - I don't get notifications for this thread anymore (need to resubscribe I guess)- so missed it.

Fox is correct - if you want something permanently mapped - probably easiest to take that controls mapping out of Faderbox - and map directly using Reaper's midi learn?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #343
cjunekim

Quote:
It used to do what it says - that is float the FX GUI for the number of seconds specified when a parameter change is made via SK. I haven't tried it recently and don't know if there is now an issue with that functionality.

But I have a feeling something changed a while back - meaning the GUI had to be open in order for it to be controlled by SK - whereas before it worked that you focus the plugin by opening the GUI - then can close the GUI - but it SK kept it as the focused plugin... Might be something to do with that.

I'm still hard at work with SK2 - so don't currently have plans to fix everything in SK that isn't working (unless it's completely broken of course) - and at least until SK2 is released.
Okay. But I thought the rationale was strange. In order for the SK to control the plugin, the plugin has to be on focus first. And then when I adjust the controller mapped, the plugin on focus will float?

Anyway, I have a great expectation for the future of SK2! Thanks.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #344
6xes
Banned

hi lb0
this smartknobs script is absolutely great, i managed to unlock the true power of the BCR2000 using this script for sound shaping..
having mapped up to 149 parameters on the NI's massive Vsti, it might seem overkill and quite frankly it is...
even still knowing that the 149 parameters is mapped across the preset-banks of the BCR2000

it becomes easy to get lost in the amount of parameters simply becos the lbx interface can only show 32 sliders at anyone time(1080p) after which you have to scroll down with the mouse to see the next set of parameters you are adjusting

in the V2 of the smartknobs script thats in development.. is there any possiblity of making the Gui have more of the parameters in view? or perhaps have a simple pagedown function to bring the next set of parameters into view if there is a limit on Parameter count due to text size
*shrugs*

anyway thank you making this excellent script!!

Last edited by 6xes; 01-05-2021 at 12:25 PM.
6xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #345
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xes View Post
hi lb0
this smartknobs script is absolutely great, i managed to unlock the true power of the BCR2000 using this script for sound shaping..
having mapped up to 149 parameters on the NI's massive Vsti, it might seem overkill and quite frankly it is...
even still knowing that the 149 parameters is mapped across the preset-banks of the BCR2000

it becomes easy to get lost in the amount of parameters simply becos the lbx interface can only show 32 sliders at anyone time(1080p) after which you have to scroll down with the mouse to see the next set of parameters you are adjusting

in the V2 of the smartknobs script thats in development.. is there any possiblity of making the Gui have more of the parameters in view? or perhaps have a simple pagedown function to bring the next set of parameters into view if there is a limit on Parameter count due to text size
*shrugs*

anyway thank you making this excellent script!!
Glad you're getting good use out of it.

Re your question - yes.

You can expand the SK2 GUI to show multiple columns:

And here is a virtual XTouch running in my Stripper script - fully integrated with SK2 (exactly mirroring my real XTouch). I barely need to use the actual SK2 GUI when using this.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #346
6xes
Banned

awesome stuff lb0
i look forward to seeing the improved version!!
6xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #347
Tiggerdyret

Yeah great work. This looks even more exciting than what I had hoped for
It would be so sweet if it was integrated into driven by moss, but I know this will never happen, but maybe it could be setup along side it as the ultimate duo!
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #348
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
Yeah great work. This looks even more exciting than what I had hoped for
It would be so sweet if it was integrated into driven by moss, but I know this will never happen, but maybe it could be setup along side it as the ultimate duo!
Thanks,

It would be nice to combine with something like driven by moss - but that works at extension level (is it a driver? - or just an extension? - I don't remember). But anyway, SK2 is entirely native to reaper - completely platform independent and should work across Win/Mac/Linux. This was one of the specifications I was asked to meet when the project started - so it all runs using just Lua scripts and JSFX's on dedicated tracks to do the necessary midi routing.

As yet it's not been tested on Linux AFAIK - but there shouldn't be anything in there to cause major headaches on that platform.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:32 AM   #349
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Thanks,

It would be nice to combine with something like driven by moss - but that works at extension level (is it a driver? - or just an extension? - I don't remember). But anyway, SK2 is entirely native to reaper - completely platform independent and should work across Win/Mac/Linux. This was one of the specifications I was asked to meet when the project started - so it all runs using just Lua scripts and JSFX's on dedicated tracks to do the necessary midi routing.

As yet it's not been tested on Linux AFAIK - but there shouldn't be anything in there to cause major headaches on that platform.
It's is installed to the control/OSC tab, so I that would make it a driver right?
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:38 AM   #350
mgrtoma

I have a quick question about LBX-SRD-Smart-Knobs, everything works fine when I open a plugin stored in the inserts, but if I use itemfx, unfortunately the SRD Smart Control stays empty, nothing is displayed there.
Is it possible to make it work also with itemFX ?

It could be great because for sound design I use several different FX Chains that I recall and I automate the effects only inside the item, not the full track. It gives me more flexibility and save processing because once the sound is okay, I just glue everything together.

Thanks for your answer!
mgrtoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #351
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrtoma View Post
I have a quick question about LBX-SRD-Smart-Knobs, everything works fine when I open a plugin stored in the inserts, but if I use itemfx, unfortunately the SRD Smart Control stays empty, nothing is displayed there.
Is it possible to make it work also with itemFX ?

It could be great because for sound design I use several different FX Chains that I recall and I automate the effects only inside the item, not the full track. It gives me more flexibility and save processing because once the sound is okay, I just glue everything together.

Thanks for your answer!
Hi, Smart Knobs does not work with take FX currently. I'm working on Smart Knobs 2 - which will work with take FX.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #352
mgrtoma

Quote:
Hi, Smart Knobs does not work with take FX currently. I'm working on Smart Knobs 2 - which will work with take FX.
Oh that's fantastic ! Thanks for your hard work, this is really awesome.
mgrtoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:00 AM   #353
earlabs

Been using these scripts together with realearn 1.10 for more than a year. Running really smoothly. After a short adventure with realearn 2.71 (which somehow was an absolute failure for me. somehow my setup doesn't work with it) I decided to go back to my original setup.
I also start up smartknobs by default (via SWS). So that's all great.

What I would love to see is that smartknobs window can be mminimized. I don't need to see all the sliders all the time (only during setup) and now I have to hide it somewhere to a corner of the screen.

Do you think that is possible?

btw: I don't want to say anything negative about Helgoboss. I think he's doing an awesome job, but I couldn't get 2.71 to work in my system.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:49 AM   #354
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
Been using these scripts together with realearn 1.10 for more than a year. Running really smoothly. After a short adventure with realearn 2.71 (which somehow was an absolute failure for me. somehow my setup doesn't work with it) I decided to go back to my original setup.
I also start up smartknobs by default (via SWS). So that's all great.

What I would love to see is that smartknobs window can be mminimized. I don't need to see all the sliders all the time (only during setup) and now I have to hide it somewhere to a corner of the screen.

Do you think that is possible?

btw: I don't want to say anything negative about Helgoboss. I think he's doing an awesome job, but I couldn't get 2.71 to work in my system.
Hi,

I've not used ReaLearn so I cannot help with that. The upcoming (hopefully by the summer) SK2 will not require any additional plugins such as ReaLearn as it will cater for all feedback methods itself.

However - I can help with the hiding of the SK GUI.

Create a new reascript - and post the following code in it. This action - when run will toggle the visibility of the SK GUI. It requires Julian Sader's JS API to be installed (which provides access to the necessary functions to do this).

Code:
local win = reaper.JS_Window_Find('SRD SMART CONTROL', true)

if win then

local var = 'SHOWNA'

if reaper.JS_Window_IsVisible(win) then

var = 'HIDE'

end

reaper.JS_Window_Show(win, var)

end
Hope this helps. Let me know if you encounter any problems - I created this to work with the aforementioned SK2 - but it should also work with Smart Knobs v1.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #355
earlabs

hey, thanks! It almost works. I made an 'autohide.lua' script and assigned a keyboard command to it. But that kb command only works after I kicked it a first time with the action list ('run'). So, not immediately.

Installed the js_ReaScriptAPI and rebooted but that didn't help
Old 03-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #356
lb0

Quote:
hey, thanks! It almost works. I made an 'autohide.lua' script and assigned a keyboard command to it. But that kb command only works after I kicked it a first time with the action list ('run'). So, not immediately.

Installed the js_ReaScriptAPI and rebooted but that didn't help
Is it because the script GUI has the focus - so the kb command is being sent to that and not Reaper. Try focusing reaper and then hitting the keyboard shortcut - does it work then?

If so - you may need to make the keyboard shortcut global or something so Reaper always sees it... - I think there are ways you can do this. Yep - when you assign the shortcut - you need to select Global + text fields - then it works for me. But you don't want to use a combination of keys that is likely to cause a problem when entering input into text fields - so best to select something like Ctrl+Shift+[key] or something...
Old 03-21-2021, 12:09 PM   #357
earlabs

Quote:
Is it because the script GUI has the focus - so the kb command is being sent to that and not Reaper. Try focusing reaper and then hitting the keyboard shortcut - does it work then?

If so - you may need to make the keyboard shortcut global or something so Reaper always sees it... - I think there are ways you can do this. Yep - when you assign the shortcut - you need to select Global + text fields - then it works for me. But you don't want to use a combination of keys that is likely to cause a problem when entering input into text fields - so best to select something like Ctrl+Shift+[key] or something...
Got it!
Made a custom action where it launches the smartknobs, then focuses on tracks window and finally the 'autohide.lua'. Then set that as a global startup action. TADAA!! and itting the shortcut kb command makes smartknobs visible.

THANKS!!
Old 03-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #358
lb0

Quote:
Got it!
Made a custom action where it launches the smartknobs, then focuses on tracks window and finally the 'autohide.lua'. Then set that as a global startup action. TADAA!! and itting the shortcut kb command makes smartknobs visible.

THANKS!!
Great! Glad you found a way that works
Old 03-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #359
grandfougue

Hello it is possible to made a toggle for replace the slider
in faderbox please ?

SK1 I forgot the shortcut with the mouse to display the automation record could you remind me please

Last edited by grandfougue; 03-22-2021 at 07:49 PM.
grandfougue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:44 AM   #360
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfougue View Post
Hello it is possible to made a toggle for replace the slider
in faderbox please ?

SK1 I forgot the shortcut with the mouse to display the automation record could you remind me please
Hi - I'm not quite sure what you require regarding a toggle to replace the slider - but my first instincts are that it isn't possible. Faderbox uses basic JSFX sliders - and other than dropdown lists - there's not much else you can do with them (unless you dive into coding specific behaviours for each slider).

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by display the automation record - what do you want to do. My memory of how SK1 works is very hazy at best as I haven't used it for near enough 3 years! So maybe someone else that is currently using it will know - but I'll try to find out if you can explain more specifically what you mean.

Cheers,
L.